Why is every movie widescreen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

It seems like every bluray or any movie i watch is widescreen. Call me weird but it drives me crazy for like the first 20 min of any movie. I just dont get why they make widescreen movies for widescrren tvs. Maybe this is a stupid question but why? 

#2 Posted by KHAndAnime (14042 posts) -
Uh...what? :P
#3 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

It seems like every bluray or any movie i watch is widescreen. Call me weird but it drives me crazy for like the first 20 min of any movie. I just dont get why they make widescreen movies for widescrren tvs. Maybe this is a stupid question but why? 

redskins26rocs
Because film makers don't understand that the ratio 1.62:1 looks better to the human eye than anything else. Also, the standard for blu-ray is widescreen.
#4 Posted by MuD3 (1313 posts) -
i think what he is getting at is why are there black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when watching on a widescreen movie on a widescreen tv... i think
#5 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14029 posts) -

Rip them and make your own custom ratio then. 

#6 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2921 posts) -
I think it is just the directors choice who make it for the cinema not TV. Steven Spielberg shot Jurassic Park in a 1.85:1 ratio which is pretty close to 16:9, to get the height of the dinosaurs. Whereas Jaws on the other hand was filmed at 2.35:1 to capture the wide sea shots. I find a lot of rom-com, horror and comedies are usually 1:85:1 or similar. Whereas action, thriller and most others are the wider format.
#7 Posted by sukraj (23176 posts) -

I dont have a problem with widescreen movies it gives it that cinematic feeling to the movie.

#8 Posted by bezza2011 (2656 posts) -

I'm not a big fan of them lines, seriously i bought a 60in led tv for a reason to have a 60in movie on the screen, some are amazingly big black lines aswel, i should have the option to choose, 

#9 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2921 posts) -

I'm not a big fan of them lines, seriously i bought a 60in led tv for a reason to have a 60in movie on the screen, some are amazingly big black lines aswel, i should have the option to choose, 

bezza2011
There are ratio options on the TV, it will just zoom in on the picture or make it a weird stretch ratio depending on the setting but it is there if it bothers you. It isn't like they insert the black bars to hide something, that is how the movie was filmed, there is nothing behind the black bars. I actually get more annoyed when they show 4:3 content in stretchy mode, everyone looks fat and a weird shape. It seems a lot of people prefer that over having black pillar bars either side.
#10 Posted by Threesixtyci (4288 posts) -
i think what he is getting at is why are there black bars at the top and bottom of the screen when watching on a widescreen movie on a widescreen tv... i thinkMuD3
The term for that is letterbox. For future reference redskins26.
#11 Posted by funsohng (28373 posts) -

I just dont get why they make widescreen movies for widescrren tvs.

redskins26rocs
becuz they herd yo liek widescreen tvs so they put widescreen movies in yo widescreen tvs so yo can widescreen while yo widescreen
#12 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

MAybe we should all buy 21:9 TVs.

#13 Posted by Threesixtyci (4288 posts) -

kraken2109
Or pay the 10+ bucks to watch it in theaters on initial release.
#14 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2921 posts) -

kraken2109
Or a new glass technology without a frame and the glass can transform in shape to the source material.
#15 Posted by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -
[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

APiranhaAteMyVa
Or a new glass technology without a frame and the glass can transform in shape to the source material.

Sounds like magic, man. We could just use projectors
#16 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -
sorry for the bad wording of my question, will have to remember the term letterbox.
#17 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

I think you're asking about why action movies (usually action movies) are in a super wide 2.35:1 Aspect ratio, rather than the "widescreen" 16:9 aspect ratio that is 1080p and 720p. That's just the way they are. Action movies have almost always been shot in "cinematic widescreen", or "cinemascope" as it's sometimes called, because it lets you see more, with bigger views for shootouts, and chase scenes and stuff like that. At least there's less letterboxing now, watching films like that on a modern HDTV, than there was back in the day when a standard TV was a 4:3 aspect ratio. Watching 2.35:1 on a 4:3 display is brutal.

I think you can actually get TVs in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, from some companies. But then, when you watch anything in a 16:9 ratio, like most non-action movies, and almost all broadcast TV, you'll get letterboxing on the sides.

#18 Posted by 5dlrbill (90 posts) -

i hate widescreen also i mean i bought an hdtv to take advantage of all my tv..am wit you bro!!!!

#19 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
I use whatever options I have to force movies to fill my screen - whether it's various zoom options on my TV or through the use of programs like VLC Media Player on my computer - or a combination of both, since my TV is my main monitor.
#20 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22144 posts) -

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

Jacobistheman

Because film makers don't understand that the ratio 1.62:1 looks better to the human eye than anything else. Also, the standard for blu-ray is widescreen.

didnt the early/mid 2000's had some fullscreen movies? I think I owned a few

#21 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6695 posts) -
[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

Jacobistheman

1.62:1??? lol no.. 1.8:1 master race
#22 Posted by mark552495786 (78 posts) -

I agree with this (
Because film makers don't understand that the ratio 1.62:1 looks better to the human eye than anything else. Also, the standard for blu-ray is widescreen.)

#23 Posted by jesuschristmonk (3308 posts) -

Go to sleep OP. You must be high :P

I can say that I randomly noticed throughout the Dark Knight movies in Blu Ray (which I didn't notice on DVD's, if this happened) that it seemed to change from widescreen to fullscreen every so often. Anyone notice in any other movies?

#24 Posted by Heirren (17711 posts) -

Go to sleep OP. You must be high :P

I can say that I randomly noticed throughout the Dark Knight movies in Blu Ray (which I didn't notice on DVD's, if this happened) that it seemed to change from widescreen to fullscreen every so often. Anyone notice in any other movies?

jesuschristmonk
The 16:9 aspect shots were the IMAX camera shots.
#25 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jacobistheman"][QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]

Mozelleple112

1.62:1??? lol no.. 1.8:1 master race

Learn a little today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio
#26 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7488 posts) -

And so, God came forth and proclaimed widescreen is the best.
Sony 16:9

#27 Posted by donalbane (16368 posts) -
Because film makers are competing with other media types (TV etc.) and want to give you a theatrical presentation that rivals that of the home television experience. This has been going on since the mass adoption of the television... for a while in the 50s there were even movies presented in 'smell-o-vision'. 3D is another example of this. If you don't like the black bars and your television supports it, just Zoom in. Most movies are filmed with the home and theatrical formats in mind, and as such, rarely does a director put critical visual information on the sides of the screen.
#28 Posted by rickliao (60 posts) -

16:10 looks better to  human's eye than anything else. 16:10 or 16:9 is good.

#29 Posted by Senor_Kami (8433 posts) -
I get used to it pretty quickly but I wish they'd make movies that could fit on a TV. It kinda feels like a rip because when HDTVs first came out Hollywood was all hype on them as the definitive movie experience and how it would change everything, blah blah... but then the reality is that like no movie properly displays on HDTVs. I don't think anyone would notice something as being "off" if a movie was shot in 16:9 and shown like that at a movie theater so I wish they'd cater to the home audience since they will definitely notice the diffence.
#30 Posted by mark552495786 (78 posts) -

The 4:3 format didn't gain recognition until 1936 when the BBC started its own 405-line TV broadcasts, curtailed by the Second World War two years later (see 'Vintage Bang & Olufsen products). Before this, the world's first TV broadcasts began life with only 30 lines per picture. Marconi's system - employing low-resolution representations, operated a vertically-scanned letter-box aspect ratio in order to allow the best match for head-and-shoulders views. The current trend towards widescreen - or 16:9 aspect ratios - began with the cinema.

#31 Posted by sportsfanatic21 (420 posts) -

This article should help explain things: 

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764

#32 Posted by Dogswithguns (10808 posts) -
Oh yeah, you're right. I didn't even think I have been watching wider-screen movies on my widescreen TV.. ?!.. making my screen smaller than it's actually is.
#33 Posted by CaptainGamespot (609 posts) -

redskins26rocs

because movies filmed for theatre screens.

u watching on bad tv, u need widescreen tv.

i hate no widescreen.

#34 Posted by Canvas_Of_Flesh (4052 posts) -

The director decided to film that way because there was some form of information that they wanted to impart to you using the extra space that filming in widescreen allows. It is really just an artistic choice, and I've always felt that watching it in Pan & Scan or zooming it was detrimental to the film as a whole. For instance, could you imagine the train station scene in Once Upon a Time in the West if it wasn't filmed in widescreen? Here's a decent video of some filmmakers explaining why widescreen is used.

I personally enjoy having the black bar on the bottom since I utilize subtitles with everything I watch and my player allows me to adjust the height of them.  So, to keep them out of the actual picture, I move them down into the unused area.

#35 Posted by Videodogg (12602 posts) -

I cant believe it is 2013 and people are still asking these questions.