Why does SimCity 4 lag on my PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SF_KiLLaMaN (6446 posts) -

I used to play this game all the time om my old computer. I decided today to install it and play it. But when I play it at my resolution (1440x900) the game is choppy and laggs, even with all settings medium..... The framerate when thecamera is still and nothing is moving is great, 60-65 fps, but when I move the camera, build stuff, or zoom in, it drops to like 10-15 FPS. I have no idea why it is doing this.

My specs.

Intel Pentium 5200 Dual-Core @2.5 GHz

Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 512mb

4gb ddr2 ram

I should max this game out easily right?

Yes, I have to newest drivers from nvidia and have updated the game.

#2 Posted by ChocolateCake10 (759 posts) -

you should be able to max the game no prob...

#3 Posted by SF_KiLLaMaN (6446 posts) -

ChocolateCake10
I know, that is why I am confused as to why it lags like crazy...
#4 Posted by k0r3aN_pR1d3 (2148 posts) -
[QUOTE="ChocolateCake10"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

Use Software rendering. After the X1000 series from ATI, Sim City 4 has been acting strange where using hardware rendering would lag the game insanely. Some people guess that the 2d processors on the new graphics cards suck.
#5 Posted by SF_KiLLaMaN (6446 posts) -
[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="ChocolateCake10"]

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Use Software rendering. After the X1000 series from ATI, Sim City 4 has been acting strange where using hardware rendering would lag the game insanely. Some people guess that the 2d processors on the new graphics cards suck.

That worked. Thanks a lot.
#6 Posted by goleafsguy (408 posts) -

Yeah simcity4 runs like crap on my pc as well, q6700 @3.2ghz and a oc'd 9800gtx when i first started playing it it was right after playing crysis on high and the game ran far worse I was like wtf is going on! Thanks for the sofware rendering tip.