Why does inconsistent 60 fps feel so bad

#1 Edited by REforever101 (11205 posts) -

anyone else feel this way? like i'm playing crysis 3 right now (gtx 780, core i7), and it averages at around 50 fps average on max settings, with mins of like 45, and maxes of 60 with vysnc on

and the more i think about it, i'd almost prefer if it was just 45 all the time, or hell, even 30, compared to it jumping up to 60 and then dropping to 45 back and forth when i pan to something intensive. i guess its like I can't get used to the way games feel if they don't stay at a certain fps reliably, regardless of what that is. Anyone just use fps limits because of this?

#3 Edited by 04dcarraher (19886 posts) -

You can limit the fps to whatever you want

Download MSI afterburner go into the settings menu.Go into the "Monitoring" tab and select "Framerate" in the active hardware monitoring section. Check the tick box to enable "Show in On Screen Display."

(You can also monitor other values, I like GPU temperature and load to be displayed.)

Go into the "On-Screen Display" tab and select what shortcut you would like for "Toggle On-Screen Display"

Exit the settings menu by selecting "OK" on the bottom part of the form.

Open the new "MSI On-Screen Display Server" icon in your system tray.

Click on the wrench on the upper right for server properties and change your frame limit.

But the GPU boost feature based on usage and power&heat of the gpu can cause the clockrates to fluctuate causing performance to go up and down because of those factors. So you can lock in your clockrates with MSI, EVGA programs.

#4 Posted by REforever101 (11205 posts) -

@04dcarraher: oh well yeah, i know how to limit fps, i'm just asking if anyone else feels this way

#5 Posted by soolkiki (1774 posts) -

@REforever101: Eh...sometimes. Though I don't notice it as much for me to get angry. I only get angry once I start hitting 15fps like I do when I forget to turn down the graphics in GW2 during WvW where hundreds of players are doing tons of things all at once. Otherwise, I'm fine! :D

#6 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3922 posts) -

I feel pretty much the same way, which is why I usually tone down settings till I achieve rather stable 60 fps with V-Sync ON.

I use a GTX770 (4 GB, not that it means much) along with an I7-4771, so that's usually not much of a problem though.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (8367 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

You can limit the fps to whatever you want

Download MSI afterburner go into the settings menu.Go into the "Monitoring" tab and select "Framerate" in the active hardware monitoring section. Check the tick box to enable "Show in On Screen Display."

(You can also monitor other values, I like GPU temperature and load to be displayed.)

Go into the "On-Screen Display" tab and select what shortcut you would like for "Toggle On-Screen Display"

Exit the settings menu by selecting "OK" on the bottom part of the form.

Open the new "MSI On-Screen Display Server" icon in your system tray.

Click on the wrench on the upper right for server properties and change your frame limit.

But the GPU boost feature based on usage and power&heat of the gpu can cause the clockrates to fluctuate causing performance to go up and down because of those factors. So you can lock in your clockrates with MSI, EVGA programs.

This, limit the fps so you won't see or feel the increase and decrease of your fps.

It's annoying if it happens all the time.

#8 Posted by Horgen (110157 posts) -

Of course it feels bad when it is inconsistent. Either lower some settings or set 50fps as the limit.

#9 Posted by KHAndAnime (14044 posts) -

I'm the complete opposite. I think more FPS when possible is always better. If the framerate gets into the 30s or 40s when action is heavy, it simply feels more cinematic.

#10 Edited by 04dcarraher (19886 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm the complete opposite. I think more FPS when possible is always better. If the framerate gets into the 30s or 40s when action is heavy, it simply feels more cinematic.

just like those GOTY games =P

#11 Posted by the_bi99man (11054 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm the same way, though not because of any kind of "cinematic" feel. I just prefer my framerate to be as high as possible, at all times. I'd definitely rather have my fps fluctuating from 40-60, than have it steady at 40.

#12 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23669 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Now that's the console spirit

#13 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7488 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

My sides, it hurts.

#14 Posted by illmatic87 (15343 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

lol. Ouch.

Expect a long reply from that poster lmao.

#15 Edited by FelipeInside (25852 posts) -
@illmatic87 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

lol. Ouch.

#16 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (798 posts) -

Ya i get a problem with screen tearing as my single gtx 770 4gb constantly moves form 37fps to 60fps depending on the game. If I use vsync I start to see screen stuttering. I've been thinking I need a second card too pull the full 60fps to fix this issue but they are still $500 after tax here which is fucking ridiculous. Wish they had gsync out last year I wouldn't be having any of these damn issues. It's literally the one gripe I have with the pc besides DRM, not once did I have screen tearing or any form of screen stuttering in my games on consoles. I'm glad they are fixing the issue with gysnc and maybe freesync but it's all ready a year two late for me and a little on the expensive side.

#17 Edited by KHAndAnime (14044 posts) -
@illmatic87 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

lol. Ouch.

Locked framerate (outside of Vsync) was actually an idea developed for consoles - locked 30 FPS is definitely more "in the spirit" of the consoles than wavering FPS. It's much more common to see a console game with a locked framerate than a freely wavering one. If you liked your FPS capped at your 30's, you'd be much more home on a console than on the PC.

I'm sure nobody here actually took a second to think about that though ;) It's not a complicated topic, doesn't really warrant a long reply, just 5 seconds of thought. It suppose it helps if you actually own all the consoles like I do. From the sound of it, you guys might prefer the console lifestyle of the low-locked framerate.

#18 Edited by kraken2109 (13125 posts) -

Probably because you have vsync on, vsync is horrible