funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

This is really frustrating. I almost always get very high ping values (usually above 100) when I play competitive multiplayer games such as Counter Strike and Titanfall. It's so damn annoying, because this high ping gets me killed really quick.

Is a high ping value the result of a poor internet connection? My connection speed is pretty good, though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Where do u live? If you are far from the servers, you will have a high ping.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funkyzoom
@BassMan said:

I reside in India, and there are hardly any servers within the country. In fact, the nearest servers I usually get connected to are 1000 miles or more from where I stay. This is especially frustrating with respect to games which don't allow user hosted servers. A real shame, because this stupid high ping isn't allowing me to display my gaming skills.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

This is really frustrating. I almost always get very high ping values (usually above 100) when I play competitive multiplayer games such as Counter Strike and Titanfall. It's so damn annoying, because this high ping gets me killed really quick.

Is a high ping value the result of a poor internet connection? My connection speed is pretty good, though.

Usually above 100? if it's stays below 200 ping you should be fine, practice some more before you blame your ISP.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@funkyzoom said:
@BassMan said:

I reside in India, and there are hardly any servers within the country. In fact, the nearest servers I usually get connected to are 1000 miles or more from where I stay. This is especially frustrating with respect to games which don't allow user hosted servers. A real shame, because this stupid high ping isn't allowing me to display my gaming skills.

Well, that is the reason. Nothing you can do but move if you want lower pings. Unless you can convince the developers to host servers in your region.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Like stated above your distance from the server plays a role in your pings. But also other things can affect your ping. Router/Modem when its resources get taxed or get full it does not direct traffic right so a simple restart of the router/modem can help for a period of time. Another one is bad lines or physical connections, weather can cause or increase issues. Last one off the top of my head is your ISP in your area is bogged down oversold service to the point where their resources cant handle the loads.

*edit*

You living in India and having to connect to servers nearly 1000 miles or more away is the reason, not much you can do. with good connection 1k should be around 100-150 ping range

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By funkyzoom

@04dcarraher said:

Like stated above your distance from the server plays a role in your pings. But also other things can affect your ping. Router/Modem when its resources get taxed or get full it does not direct traffic right so a simple restart of the router/modem can help for a period of time. Another one is bad lines or physical connections, weather can cause or increase issues. Last one off the top of my head is your ISP in your area is bogged down oversold service to the point where their resources cant handle the loads.

*edit*

You living in India and having to connect to servers nearly 1000 miles or more away is the reason, not much you can do. with good connection 1k should be around 100-150 ping range

Goddamn it! So people residing in messed up third world countries like India shouldn't even consider playing competitive multi-player, because of no local servers. What a shame. Thankfully I'm immigrating to Australia within a couple of months due to professional reasons, and it being a first world country with better internet, I suppose I'll have much more enjoyable multi-player experiences.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funkyzoom
@PredatorRules said:

@funkyzoom said:

Usually above 100? if it's stays below 200 ping you should be fine, practice some more before you blame your ISP.

But I find that almost everyone else playing the game have pings below 50, usually. How can I ever compete with them?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

Goddamn it! So people residing in messed up third world countries like India shouldn't even consider playing competitive multi-player, because of no local servers. What a shame. Thankfully I'm immigrating to Australia within a couple of months due to professional reasons, and it being a first world country with better internet, I suppose I'll have much more enjoyable multi-player experiences.

Um Australia isnt much better for distance based gaming but as long you live on the east coast at or near the major cities you should have more local MP gaming options.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funkyzoom

@04dcarraher said:

@funkyzoom said:

Um Australia isnt much better for distance based gaming but as long you live on the east coast at or near the major cities you should have more local MP gaming options.

I'm most likely to be moving to either Melbourne or Sydney, depending on my job offer. It may not be as great as US or UK for gaming, but I'll take even a slight improvement over the 100+ ping I'm getting in India now!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@funkyzoom said:
@PredatorRules said:

@funkyzoom said:

But I find that almost everyone else playing the game have pings below 50, usually. How can I ever compete with them?

The same way I compete on CS, on european servers with 100+ ping.

Again, don't blame the "lag", the difference is less than 1 sec.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@funkyzoom said:
@PredatorRules said:

@funkyzoom said:

Uh, do you realize what 1 second of input lag would feel like? That's unplayable.

200ms on CS GO isn't super playable. You can play fine on 120 ping though(Most people can't), I was playing LEM games fine on it OP. But you absolutely must change your playstyle. You cannot be playing passive and waiting for them to peek, you are seeing things happening later. What you have to do is take advantage of your ping and peek them first because you will see them before they can see you.

TC, you live in India, the distance between you and the server is too great. Not even a fiber connection would save you. The speed of light is too slow, and in fiber optic cables the velocity factor is around 2/3 the speed of light. Then with all the routers between you and your destination results in your high ping.

I don't know if there is a scene in fps gaming in India, so you are probably out of luck. Try MMORPGs like Tera or something.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 funkyzoom

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@PredatorRules said:

@funkyzoom said:
@PredatorRules said:

@funkyzoom said:

Uh, do you realize what 1 second of input lag would feel like? That's unplayable.

200ms on CS GO isn't super playable. You can play fine on 120 ping though(Most people can't), I was playing LEM games fine on it OP. But you absolutely must change your playstyle. You cannot be playing passive and waiting for them to peek, you are seeing things happening later. What you have to do is take advantage of your ping and peek them first because you will see them before they can see you.

TC, you live in India, the distance between you and the server is too great. Not even a fiber connection would save you. The speed of light is too slow, and in fiber optic cables the velocity factor is around 2/3 the speed of light. Then with all the routers between you and your destination results in your high ping.

I don't know if there is a scene in fps gaming in India, so you are probably out of luck. Try MMORPGs like Tera or something.

I don't think I'll be out of luck for much longer, because I'll be moving permanently to Australia within a couple of months.

And you're right, a ping of 120 may be fine for professional players or those who play a lot. But for a casual player like me who just plays for around half an hour on alternate days to unwind and relax, it's really too much. On those rare occasions when I get pings in the 80s, I can pretty much win rounds on my own. Maybe my reflexes aren't what they used to be during my younger days!

omairmalik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omairmalik
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

Not Really. You might having a decent connection but still be having high ping. Reason is your ISP is choosing a bad route to game server. The path have many nodes in it. Here is what you can do. If you are playing wireless then switch to a wired connection first. If still the problem occurs then try a connection optimizing software like Kill Ping. It is free and works great with csgo. Watch how to use it in video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixmIxsKjEt4

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@PredatorRules said:
@funkyzoom said:
@PredatorRules said:
@funkyzoom said:

Looks like you've never expierenced 100+ ping in Rocket League...