Why Can't More Games Be Like FC3 Blood Dragon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

It's not the gameplay or the story that I'm talking about. It's about moving away from this gritty realism that I feel like is all we've gotten with the FPS genre over the past decade.

I just finished Blood Dragon and I found the writing hilarious (especially the notes for the weapons, loading screen tips, etc. The game makes fun of the FPS genre and even itself (FC3).

It was quite refreshing to play a game that didn't take itself too seriously - or in this case, not serious at all.

Anyone else play this? Anyone else wish we got games that weren't so serious all the dang time? Games have always been fun, but I feel like they lost a bit of this fun when they tried to be as hardcore realistic as possible.

Not sure what the sales were of Blood Dragon, but I hope it was successful so we'll see more of these types of not-so-serious games.

#2 Posted by Arthas045 (5083 posts) -

Twas a sweet game loved the 80s feel.

#3 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15997 posts) -

Blood Dragon would have been a lot funnier if they played it straight. Throwing in random internet humor and jokes every 10 seconds only cheapend the 80's aesthetic. The game isn't a parody of 80's action films, it's simply a parody of 4chan.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (7530 posts) -
@JangoWuzHere said:

Blood Dragon would have been a lot funnier if they played it straight. Throwing in random internet humor and jokes every 10 seconds only cheapend the 80's aesthetic. The game isn't a parody of 80's action films, it's simply a parody of 4chan.

Somewhat agree. It's a bit too self aware. 80's classics like (for example) Commando are self aware without taking away how earnest it is in the face of ridiculousness.

Personally, I thought Shadow Warrior was a lot better.

#5 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -

Great game. We do need more games with colors and imagination in them.

There's plenty of games that attempt at being creative and all, but sadly most are indie and a lot of those are just plain boring or too pretentious, we need GAMES.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9702 posts) -

Portal is pretty lighthearted

#7 Posted by nutcrackr (12361 posts) -

Blood Dragon sold fairly well, but modern military gruff shooters seem to sell better. The audience needs to change for these types of games to become more popular.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (7530 posts) -

Portal is pretty lighthearted

Portal is something of a masterpiece. It seems irreivant what gender, age or how much someone actually games, it has practically universal appeal.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9702 posts) -

What about Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger ?

Lol Or Bullet Storm ? Haha

#10 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

80's feel? (waits anxiously for next sale) :(

#11 Posted by 8-Bitterness (3707 posts) -

Those 2 were both amazing, but they didn't stand out as much as Blood Dragon cuz BD was pretty unexpected.

#12 Edited by Arthas045 (5083 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

80's feel? (waits anxiously for next sale) :(

Yeah man it has all kinds of 80s references!

#13 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9702 posts) -

@ 8-Bitterness

Uhm, alil Confession..... Not only have I not played Blood Dragon..... I haven't even seen it, not videos no screen shots, nothing. Just read the review.

#14 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

I did play Bulletstorm. I didn't really find that funny - seemed really stupid to me. Maybe I have double standards? :P

However, I do have Gunslinger, but just haven't played it yet.

#15 Posted by lostrib (32977 posts) -

Saints Row 3 and 4 definitely don't take themselves that seriously

#16 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9702 posts) -

@ Cwagmire21

Bulletstorm's Humor is just as Dry as Anything you'l hear on GTA or Saints Row.

So yeah its not all that entertaining. You'l here crap like "I'l kill your dick !" and the response will be "My Dick ? I'l kill Your- Dick!"

I called my Mommy and told her I loved her because this is evidence that humanity is doomed.

#17 Posted by cyborg100000 (2839 posts) -

I want originality in games. I long for another STALKER, Half Life, Deus Ex, System Shock or FEAR of the gaming world. Games that do their own thing and aren't afraid to do so. I'm not talking re-boots either, that's just lazy. Blood Dragon's different to military-based games, yeah, but still, it's just a piss take of the 80's.

#18 Posted by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -

yeah, i have to get BD one of these days. i love over the top action, some comedy & I loved FC3 - so it's a good mix.

Bullet Storm

i was thinking exactly this. i didn't expect to like it as much as i did.

#19 Posted by FelipeInside (25164 posts) -

I tried it at a friend's house and I went all dizzy with all those colours..... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

#20 Edited by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -

if you take some something psychedelic, it'll cancel each other out... maybe

#21 Posted by topgunmv (10120 posts) -

Not every game can be as awesome as blood dragon.