MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

I thought pc has the best graphics, why are so many multi plats complete shit on pc? Im kind of new to this site, but every day I read pc gamers boasting about how great pc gaming is, and yet games like FC4, COD, and many more are a broken mess on the pc versions.

Serious question, but I am expecting a lot of hate from this.

I was contemplating shelling out $1,000 on a gaming laptop, then I thought whats the point if devs can't even port a low-tech game to it.

I remember in the 90s pc gaming was on a whole other level. Nowadays its meh.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

lol, you think they play better on consoles? your examples were a mess on consoles as well.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Give it up,no they are not, where are these links to back up what you claim?

Far Cry 4 and COD work great and look and run massively better than the console versions so.....

I play these muliplats and they are the same game with better performance and they look better, so if the pc versions are shit the console versions must be even worse...

Cannot wait to hear your responses,i have a feeling this is gonna be mega entertaining :D

EDIT: you will get hate because you are not starting a disscussion you are just posting opinions and claiming it as fact,that's a sure fire way to get people to loose any respect for what you say!

Debate 101 - talking is hard.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

gta 4 was the only port that i ever had a problem with...

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By naz99

@04dcarraher said:

lol, you think they play better on consoles? your examples were a mess on consoles as well.

it's like they just don't try anymore, or it is simply that they are just that stupid they cannot even form a proper argument or talking point.....

And they certainly can't back up what they say :P

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Because most games are optimized for consoles. PC is better, but it requires the developer to take account of it, otherwise it get's held back by them. Think of it this way, a PS1 game played on a PS3 still looks like a PS1 game.

It's still worth looking into, because when a game is optimized for PC, it's usually superior to it's console counterparts, it's also cheaper, and PC has a lot more exclusives than any console, and will also last you longer. And this is coming from someone who hates gaming on a PC (I completely understand it's better but I get less enjoyment from it).

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By naz99

@spike6958 said:

Because most games are optimized for consoles. PC is better, but it requires the developer to take account of it, otherwise it get's held back by them. Think of it this way, a PS1 game played on a PS3 still looks like a PS1 game.

It's still worth looking into, because when a game is optimized for PC, it's usually superior to it's console counterparts, it's also cheaper, and PC has a lot more exclusives than any console, and will also last you longer. And this is coming from someone who hates gaming on a PC (I completely understand it's better but I get less enjoyment from it).

And I respect your choice because you don't have to go on a fanboy bullshit spree and make stuff up to justify the choice you made.

I like you already,maybe you can teach these clowns a thing or two :P

If there was more console gamers like you on this site we may be able to have actual disscussions for a change.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#8 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

There are more good ports than bad.

I would rate CoDAW as a bad port considering two maps fail to actually work properly or stutter. Maybe Watch Dogs which was a stuttering mess, but even then user patches fixed it. Dark Souls 1? User patches fixed it.

In many ways simultaneous releases have PC at a slight disadvantage because there are more systems to test, Intel, AMD or Nvidia mainly. But consoles need to submit versions for approval (I think they still do)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Played every major release but unity this year and I have yet to come across a overly buggy game. Far cry 4 runs great on my pc so does Dragon age inquisition, MGS5 ground zero even watchdogs worked perfect for me. And non of them have had issues with my pc outside of the general issues that some times every game seems to get like fumblingly moving AI or clipping. The only one that I've had issue with was Cod Advanced warfare as it had major sound issues in loading videos (Have it on SSD and it's the longest loading game I own why?) ruining them but COD is broken and hacked within the week it comes out so I honestly don't see how anyone even wonders if COD will release broken because you can bet your ass it will every time.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

The games that are poor ports aren't really worth playing anyways.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

lol gaming laptop.

cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#12 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

I thought pc has the best graphics, why are so many multi plats complete shit on pc? Im kind of new to this site, but every day I read pc gamers boasting about how great pc gaming is, and yet games like FC4, COD, and many more are a broken mess on the pc versions.

I was contemplating shelling out $1,000 on a gaming laptop, then I thought whats the point if devs can't even port a low-tech game to it.

The best I can offer is that shit on a console, is still going to be shit when it comes over to the PC. Sure, it'll be the best version of shit you can get, but the PC can only improve shit just so much.

On a secondary note, I haven't had the opportunity yo try out the latest COD, but Far Cry 4 plays like a dream here with everything cranked up @1440p. It gets a bit tedious after a while, but the play is smooth.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Reading system war topics wont get you much information...

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

most ports are actually good ( COD was surprisingly good port on pc ) unless its Ubisoft we are talking about . Heck even metal gear revengeance was an amazing port on pc and from a dev with minimal experience on the platform

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Good games don't tend to be multiplat.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I haven't played a COD since 4 on PC so don't know about how good the modern pc version are but Farcry 4 is not a broken port far from it. I can get 60 fps or close to it at 1080p with my overclocked 7950 most of the time. Thats a card that came out like a year before the PS4&XBONE even came out with a mix of Ultra setting and some settings turned down but not the one's that effect visual quality the most like Shadows and Ambient Occlusion.

So 60fps game play versus 30fps along with being able to play with native mouse support makes it the best version for me and this is with a card that came out a year or so BEFORE the PS4 or XBONE even got released its old tech in the PC world newer more powerful cards can run it with exclusive pc only graphic effects like soft shadows and enhanced godrays turned on for even better graphics without sacrificing a silky smooth 60fps.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KHAndAnime

@DJ_Headshot said:

I haven't played a COD since 4 on PC so don't know about how good the modern pc version are but Farcry 4 is not broken I can get 60 fps or close to it nearly at 1080p with my overclocked 7950 a card that came out like a year before the PS4&XBONE even came out with a mix of Ultra setting and some settings turned down but not the one's that effect visual quality the most like Shadows and Ambient Occlusion.

So 60fps game play versus 30fps along with being able to play with native mouse support makes it the best version for me and this is with a card that came out a year or so BEFORE the PS4 or XBONE even got released its old tech in the PC world newer more powerful cards can run it with exclusive pc features turned on for even better graphics without sacrificing a silky smooth 60fps.

Far Cry 4 lacks raw input and 16:10 - so if you're someone who desires good mouse controls or the ability to use their entire monitor, Far Cry 4 is as half-assed as a port can get.

There's so much more to making a "good port" than optimization. A good port should cater to all PC users, not just a fraction. Otherwise if we're tossing around the words "good port" to games that don't deserve it, you're forgetting about appreciating the games that are actually good ports.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

The TC came across as ignorant in other posts about PC gaming too.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Far Cry 4 lacks raw input and 16:10 - so if you're someone who desires good mouse controls or the ability to use their entire monitor, Far Cry 4 is as half-assed as a port can get.

There's so much more to making a "good port" than optimization. A good port should cater to all PC users, not just a fraction. Otherwise if we're tossing around the words "good port" to games that don't deserve it, you're forgetting about appreciating the games that are actually good ports.

In the grand scheme of things that could possibly be wrong with a console to PC port, no 16:10 support is a bit annoying but hardly a deal breaker (even if I had a 16:10 monitor, which I don't). No raw input is more annoying but in a single player focused game it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

-Byshop

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

Then you have games like BF4 which is far better than any console version.

But I would rather play a poor pc port than play on a console

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@BSC14: I'm the same way. I'd still rather play the pc version as even if it's a shitty port with no settings, I can still use Nvidia control panel to force better aliasing etc...

Perfect good port example on pc. Ryse son of rome, may not be the longest or best game in the world but it has be one of the best games ported(redone in 4k) to pc I have played in a long time.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@BSC14 said:

As long as they didn't massively strip features and the PC version doesn't have terrible performance then I'll take the PC version just for the portability and consistently better loading times. The PC port of Dead Rising 3 from Xbox One is terrible. Horrible frame rate, all the Kinect and smartglass related features have been removed entirely, etc.

-Byshop

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Poor ports are still better than console versions. If you think you're having worse experience then you should build a proper gaming Pc.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I think people go OTT when it comes to the quality of PC ports. Watchdogs is a good example - sure, it wasn't great and people did have issues but I was still able to max it out, bar a few settings like textures and AA, on a hd 7850 at 1080p, getting an average of 35fps. That's a significantly better performance than consoles with quite an old card (the PS4 has a slightly better gpu but the i5 3570k cpu I've got made for better performance). I found the same with almost all multi-plats on this modest setup.

Now, I've stuck a GTX 970 in it and after patches I'm getting a pretty solid 60fps on AC Unity and Far Cry 4 at Ultra - settings and performance that console owners can only dream of, and on two games that aren't the greatest of ports.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

- Lack of experience developing on PC (Dark Souls)

- Lack of care for PC gamers or what it takes to make a decent PC game (Activision, GTA IV, ...)

But still I found that even the worst ports are infinitely better than the console version. And in a lot of cases the community is so helpful and passionate to fix things.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

... Uh the most recent CoD to my understanding is considered a well done port from what I have heard.. As for FC4.. That is a Ubisoft game.. In which basically all their recent games regardless of platform has been a absolute mess in performance and bugs for all platforms.. Wow really? The 90s? In which patches were more or less non existent.. New drivers rarely came out that fixed hardware problems, tech support was awful.. That is fucking hilarious.. EVEN THE BADLY released games like the Ubisoft games the devs are in constant contact with the public in updating the product with massive patches in fixing this.. Let's not forget outside a few gaming magazines, you had no idea how good or bad a pc game was inless it was word of mouth or if you bought it your self.. My god people don't fucking know how good they got it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@DJ_Headshot said:

I haven't played a COD since 4 on PC so don't know about how good the modern pc version are but Farcry 4 is not broken I can get 60 fps or close to it nearly at 1080p with my overclocked 7950 a card that came out like a year before the PS4&XBONE even came out with a mix of Ultra setting and some settings turned down but not the one's that effect visual quality the most like Shadows and Ambient Occlusion.

So 60fps game play versus 30fps along with being able to play with native mouse support makes it the best version for me and this is with a card that came out a year or so BEFORE the PS4 or XBONE even got released its old tech in the PC world newer more powerful cards can run it with exclusive pc features turned on for even better graphics without sacrificing a silky smooth 60fps.

Oh come on now.. Really? We have had pc game ports that are far worse in the past years.. Hell WE HAVE HAD Exclusive games with far less options and features than Far Cry 4.. This isn't suggesting that it is a good port, but to say its the worse? Come on.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#28  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

games get rushed out too fast so they end up bad. i think in the future since consoles are more similar to pcs now there should be less bad console to pc ports. all depends on the laziness of the developers.

problem also is pc is so much more powerful then consoles they just rely on the pure brute force power of the pc to run the game, and don't bother optimizing it much which hurts the potential greatness of what a game could be on PC.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

1 - Why would you get a gaming laptop and not build your own rig?

2- Far Cry 4 and CoD: AW looks GORGEOUS on my PC and run at a solid 60fps.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MethodManFTW

@Byshop said:

@BSC14 said:

As long as they didn't massively strip features and the PC version doesn't have terrible performance then I'll take the PC version just for the portability and consistently better loading times. The PC port of Dead Rising 3 from Xbox One is terrible. Horrible frame rate, all the Kinect and smartglass related features have been removed entirely, etc.

-Byshop

Second screen apps and Kinect are dumb, so I don't miss those at all...

But yeah, Dead Rising 3 runs at a solid 60fps for me with everything turned all the way up... Time for you to upgrade? : P

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I don't really have any issues with games unless I'm playing something old and even that usually takes less than ten minutes to tweak something in windows, I don't play Cod or Ubisoft games either that said.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

The reason you should go with laptop instead of console isn't good ports. It's steam:

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KHAndAnime

@sSubZerOo said:

Oh come on now.. Really? We have had pc game ports that are far worse in the past years.. Hell WE HAVE HAD Exclusive games with far less options and features than Far Cry 4.. This isn't suggesting that it is a good port, but to say its the worse? Come on.

Worst and "half-assed" mean two completely different things. I'm not sure where you come from where they mean the same thing. If something is "half-assed", it means lazily made. Far Cry 4 is lazily made because they had all the resources to fix these issues before launch. yet a month after launch they still persist. There are tons of ports that are worse than Far Cry 4, but for example, I've never seen one of these ports add support for a less popular viewing ratio (21:9) before the more popular one (16:10). It's stupid and lazy. There's absolutely no rational reason for them to not have added 16:10 supported at the exact same time as they were adding support for 21:9. The developers at Ubisoft obviously are capable of integrating the incredibly common 16:10 aspect ratio as well as good mouse support into their game but they just couldn't give less of a rats ass.

I'm sure they're busy counting their money and developing Far Cry 5 and 6 while I'm sitting here waiting to play my game.

@Byshop said:

In the grand scheme of things that could possibly be wrong with a console to PC port, no 16:10 support is a bit annoying but hardly a deal breaker (even if I had a 16:10 monitor, which I don't). No raw input is more annoying but in a single player focused game it doesn't bother me nearly as much.

-Byshop

I just don't see why I would be eager to play through a game when the controls are distracting and annoying, and I'm missing a few inches off my monitor. There are a million other games I can play with proper mouse controls that actually use my 16:10 monitor. If you had black bars on your 16:9, trust me, you'd be bitching about it too. Wasted screen space is incredibly annoying. It's not possible for me to just ignore - I want to use those extra inches.

It's like eating a burger from McDonalds that had a clump of hair in it because I was too impatient to take my food back and wait for them to remake it. I'll never be that guy - I'll always be waiting for the proper experience. When I booted up Far Cry 4 for the first 30 minutes, I was able to ignore these problems. But there's a point when I realize these problems heavily detract from my enjoyment of the game and there's no reason to rush through it now. I really didn't get Far Cry 4 on launch just so I had an excuse to bitch about it - I actually was a little excited to play through it. Oh well - I don't think I'll be giving Ubisoft any of my money for a long time. I don't spend thousands and thousands of dollars on my PC just so I can play games that don't work well with it. It's pretty hard to ignore when it's just about the only big-budget game in existence I'm aware of that can't even get the most basic and important things right. Maybe if they had just *one* of these problems solved by now, I'd be satisfied, but when combining these two issues together, it feels like I'm playing one of the laziest ports in existence.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

@Byshop said:

@KHAndAnime said:

-Byshop

Agreed I used to use a 16:10 monitor and some games where locked to 16:9 like mirrors edge or resident evil 4 and didn't really bother me playing it with black bars on top and bottom having them on the side bothers me way more like playing in 4:3 on a widescreen monitor. Speaking of the original RE4 now there is an example of truly shitty port for pc Farcry 4 is a massively superior port in comparison.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

games like FC4, COD, and many more are a broken mess on the pc versions.

Oh really? Far Cry 4 and Call of Duty: AW both run flawlessly for me.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KHAndAnime

@saintsatan said:

Internet, thy lord Saintsatan has decreed that Far Cry 4 and AW are perfect ports because they work flawlessly for him. :P

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MethodManFTW

@brickedntricked said:

Didn't get fc4 but yes had some issues at launch.

Played CoD um whatever number on its free weekend and it ran really well. CoD is a bit of a joke graphically any way.

I'm guessing that the OP is just going by forum posts rather than experience. If that's the case understand that the pc crowd is a lot pickier when it comes to how things run.

Advanced Warfare is the most photorealistic game I've ever played.. More so than Ethan Carter.

@KHAndAnime said:

@saintsatan said:

Internet, thy lord Saintsatan has decreed that Far Cry 4 and AW are perfect ports because they work flawlessly for him. :P

Runs perfect for me too. :P

---

Is TC going to respond to this post or is he just taking this ethering in silence?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KHAndAnime

@MethodManFTW said:

Bah, For every person in this thread who claims it works for them, I'll give you an entire thread of people claiming it's not for them. :p

Since we have two, here are two. Here are a couple more, preemptively.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MethodManFTW

@KHAndAnime said:

@MethodManFTW said:

Bah, For every person in this thread who claims it works for them, I'll give you an entire thread of people claiming it's not for them. :p

Since we have two, here are two. Here are a couple more, preemptively.

Given the nature of PCs, obviously.

But on my rig, it runs at a perfecf 60fps at 1080 with everything turned all the way up.

970, i7 4790k, 16gb 1886 RAM, Samsung SSD, etc.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@MethodManFTW said:

Second screen apps and Kinect are dumb, so I don't miss those at all...

But yeah, Dead Rising 3 runs at a solid 60fps for me with everything turned all the way up... Time for you to upgrade? : P

It's a bit more complex than that. I don't care if they do Smartglass in a PC game. That technology leverages Wifi-Direct and most PCs don't even have a wireless NIC that can support it, even if they wrote support into the game. I didn't even really use smartglass in the Xbox One version because it was distracting, but if they are going to cut something like that then give me some sort of in-game equivilent rather than just dropping the feature.

Another feature in the Xbox One version was the ability to distract zombies with your voice or use voice commands. The voice commands were lame, but yelling at zombies to get them to walk into danger was something you could use to great effect. There was even a tutorial section near the beginning where you have to yell at some zombies to get them to walk towards you and fall into a pit, allowing you to leap across to the other side. In the PC version, when you get to that point the zombies just magically become aware of your precense because they scripted it that way to get you past the tutorial for a feature that no longer exists. Would a "yell" button have been that hard to implement? That is pretty lame.

Regarding perf, I'm sure it runs fine on my main gaming rig but when I tried it on my MSI GS70 it was choppy as hell even at 720p. This same laptop plays Mordor or Elite Dangerous at a good frame rate with decently high settings. Hell, I can play Elite Dangerous with my Oculus Rift DK2 on this laptop, but DR3 runs like ass at anything but the lowest settings. Evil Within, same problem, only with that game there was literally no setting I could pick (resolution or detail) that got much above 20fps.

@DJ_Headshot said:

Agreed I used to use a 16:10 monitor and some games where locked to 16:9 like mirrors edge or resident evil 4 and didn't really bother me playing it with black bars on top and bottom having them on the side bothers me way more like playing in 4:3 on a widescreen monitor. Speaking of the original RE4 now there is an example of truly shitty port for pc Farcry 4 is a massively superior port in comparison.

Exactly. There's a reason why they did a completely new port of RE4 rather than just tweak the old one. Now -that- was a shitty port.

@KHAndAnime said:

I just don't see why I would be eager to play through a game when the controls are distracting and annoying, and I'm missing a few inches off my monitor. There are a million other games I can play with proper mouse controls that actually use my 16:10 monitor. If you had black bars on your 16:9, trust me, you'd be bitching about it too. Wasted screen space is incredibly annoying. It's not possible for me to just ignore - I want to use those extra inches.

It's like eating a burger from McDonalds that had a clump of hair in it because I was too impatient to take my food back and wait for them to remake it. I'll never be that guy - I'll always be waiting for the proper experience. When I booted up Far Cry 4 for the first 30 minutes, I was able to ignore these problems. But there's a point when I realize these problems heavily detract from my enjoyment of the game and there's no reason to rush through it now. I really didn't get Far Cry 4 on launch just so I had an excuse to bitch about it - I actually was a little excited to play through it. Oh well - I don't think I'll be giving Ubisoft any of my money for a long time. I don't spend thousands and thousands of dollars on my PC just so I can play games that don't work well with it. It's pretty hard to ignore when it's just about the only big-budget game in existence I'm aware of that can't even get the most basic and important things right. Maybe if they had just *one* of these problems solved by now, I'd be satisfied, but when combining these two issues together, it feels like I'm playing one of the laziest ports in existence.

A couple points here: I was into widescreen movies long before HD and widescreen gaming was even a thing and my first two widescreen TVs were pre-HD. Movies come in all sorts of different aspect ratios so no matter what display you have there will always be sources that have black bars. That, plus I don't have a 16:10 monitor. Like it or not (and I don't like it), 16:9 monitors are far more common these days. I wasn't a fan when I bought my first 16:9 (three Dell U2711s) but I made peace with that long ago. Even if I had a 16:10 monitor, a couple black bars would not be a dealbreaker for me. Should it be like that? No, it's shitty but in the grand scheme of things that might be wrong with a port it's a fairly minor one for me. You and I obviously have different levels of tollerance for graphical infidelity in games (like in the other thread where you mentioned that you need high AA turned on even at resolutions like 2560x1440 whereas I do not).

Regarding the mouse acceleration, again it's annoying but I compensate for it so it's not a dealbreaker. Yes, I would prefer if I could turn it off of course but again it's not that bad for me, especially since (puts on flame retardent outfit) I also don't -mind- playing on a controller. This game isn't Tribes or Counterstrike and I opt for stealth more often than not for the increased rewards rather than going in guns blazing. Sometimes I just want to chill on my couch or in my floor rocker and play a game on my 80" projector.

To me, a shitty port is a racing game that's locked at 1080p/30FPS and doesn't have steering wheel support in its PC counterpart. A shitty port is a game that's unplayable on all but the fastest systems because it's poorly optimized or has controls that are essentially broken if you choose to use a mouse and keyboard versus plugging in a controller. A shitty port is a game where entire gameplay features have been simply removed. These are hamburgers with a clump of hair in it. Far Cry 4 is a hamburger without pickles, but that runs at 2560x1440/144hz with g-sync so where I'm missing the lack of pickles I'm enjoying the new Kobe beef patty. I've seen ports where the PC version literally had no advantage over the console version besides load times because so many aspects were capped. These are shitty ports to me. I get why you don't like Far Cry 4's port and you're not alone, but hopefully you get why I don't think it's so bad even if you don't agree.

-Byshop

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MethodManFTW

@Byshop: when a developer removes gimmicks I don't think they need to add new gimmicks to replace them. Seems pretty obvious Microsoft required them to do the Xbox stuff since they funded the game. I would personally have zero use for yelling at zombies.. They are so damn slow in dr3 I can't see any scenario where it is actually useful. And second screen apps are garbage. I always download them all and use them for about ten minutes before I delete them forever.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Byshop  Moderator

@MethodManFTW: Whether the features are any good is really not the point, it's just half assed to remove entire features from the PC versions and not even try to replace them with some degree of equivilent functionality. A freakin' "yell" button would have been minimal effort but they couldn't even be bothered to do that.

@KHAndAnime has his "buttons" that ruin the experience for him, and while mine aren't the same I have my buttons too. The game also doesn't support SLI/Crossfire so that's a perf hit right there for people with high end systems.

Fortunately I also have the Xbox One version so I can finish playing through the "complete" version, but had I know the PC version were missing so many features I wouldn't have bothered picking it up too. It's the most recent port I can remember buying and feeling ripped off by.

-Byshop

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@saintsatan said:

Now now I never said they were perfect ports. I said they run flawlessly for ME and quite a few friends as well.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm curious about how mouse acceleration is negatively affecting control in Far Cry 4. I seem to be missing something. What would be the symptoms? I mean, I finished the SP campaign without noticing anything amiss with the mouse control.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I'm curious about how mouse acceleration is negatively affecting control in Far Cry 4. I seem to be missing something. What would be the symptoms? I mean, I finished the SP campaign without noticing anything amiss with the mouse control.

The only thing I can tell is quick and precious movements is much harder to do. Its not a major deal with a game like FC4.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

wtf Far Cry 4 worked fine for me. not that it was a great game to begin with, but it was ok.

$1000 barely gets you a decent gaming dekstop. you are not getting a decent gaming laptop with that money.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

The only thing I can tell is quick and precious movements is much harder to do. Its not a major deal with a game like FC4.

Yup. It doesn't seem to be a big deal. Watching one of the FC4 videos I uploaded to YT, it took me 15 seconds to knock out 3 alarms in Pagan Min's fortress via sniper rifle and that included missing a shot on the 3rd alarm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zt34l9ub1w