Why are platforming games so FRIGGIN' hard?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I really enjoy the 'casual' platforming games, but they seem to be too damn hard. The games like Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider series (except the 2013 reboot) aren't that tough. But games such as Rayman, Sonic etc. are a REAL nightmare. I played and beat Rayman Origins on my PC using keyboard, and as expected, it was freakin' tough (I attempted one particular level 50 times) and I ended up with a severe never injury in my wrist after beating the game, which required a minor surgery (maybe I'm the only person in the world who got injured due to a video game).

Based on people's advice on Gamespot and other sites, I bought an XBox 360 controller exclusively for platformers (I prefer keyboard/mouse for pretty much every other genre, except maybe fighting games). I started playing Sonic Generations, and although the controller felt a bit more comfortable, I didn't find it any easier. I had to repeat several most levels several times, and I'm about to give up on the game after attempting and failing to beat the stupid 3rd boss (Egg Dragoon) 31 times. Now my thumbs are sore and my wrists ache. I'm not really a bad gamer. I watched several online videos of this level, and although I do exactly what the guy in the video does, my character doesn't respond in the same way. I really believed a controller would solve my issues because so many people suggested it, but that doesn't seem to have helped much.

I really love these kind of games due to the cartoon-style graphics, catchy soundtrack and overall relaxed feel, but all such games seem to be EXCRUCIATINGLY tough. I wanted to buy Rayman Legends next, but now I'm having second thoughts. Is it just me, or are platformers really that tough? Its not that I have poor reflexes, but it seems like these games are targeted towards people who have extraordinary reflexes.

The strange thing is, I could beat such games without much difficulty when I was younger. It makes me believe that my reflexes might have slowed down with age. But I'm not really THAT old (I'm 27), and I've seen 50+aged people beat such games quite easily.

So what exactly am I doing wrong here? I'm really good at every other genre, and also a pro with Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2(which require quick reflexes to some extent).

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

Seems like you are used to the current style of games which tend to be much easier then games "back in the day".

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

i haven't seen anyone struggle with a sonic game lol

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funkyzoom

@quikdash6 said:

Seems like you are used to the current style of games which tend to be much easier then games "back in the day".

You seem to have missed the point. I used to beat such games without much of a problem when I was younger, that too with a keyboard. So I don't think I have 'gotten used' to easy games. I was even able to beat 2013's 'Rise of the Triad', which was a tough game made even tougher due to a myriad of bugs and glitches.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By funkyzoom
@quikdash6 said:

Huh? You haven't seen ANYONE struggle with Sonic games? When I checked out some video playthroughs of that level on Youtube, there were several people who had commented that they had never come across something this frustrating, and had made them give up the game.

@quikdash6 said:

You seem to have missed the point. I used to beat such games without much of a problem when I was younger, that too with a keyboard. So I don't think I have 'gotten used' to easy games. I was even able to beat 2013's 'Rise of the Triad', which was a tough game made even tougher due to a myriad of bugs and glitches.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

i'm not sure how uncoordinated someone has to be to have trouble with a sonic game lol

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

i'm not sure how uncoordinated someone has to be to have trouble with a sonic game lol

Lol I can tell you never played much of the first few sonic games.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

sonic 1-3 are extremely easy lol

i'm not even very good at platformers, but like any sonic game is really easy

super meatboy and like dust force are pretty challenging...

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Sorry, I forgot with your elite professional gamer abilities you can easily beat any game.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

I don't think so.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

My 10 year old sister beat Rayman Legends.

I was playing that too and it's pretty easy, only the 2 last chapters are quite difficult.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 funkyzoom

@PredatorRules said:

I was playing that too and it's pretty easy, only the 2 last chapters are quite difficult.

Exactly what I was talking about. Not the last 2, but the chapter just before the last one. Its freakin' hard, even more so when played with a keyboard.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GeryGo  Moderator

@funkyzoom said:

@PredatorRules said:

Exactly what I was talking about. Not the last 2, but the chapter just before the last one. Its freakin' hard, even more so when played with a keyboard.

Ok, but you have to agree the game overall is excellent, personally haven't played such good platformer in a long time

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funkyzoom

@PredatorRules said:

Ok, but you have to agree the game overall is excellent, personally haven't played such good platformer in a long time

Agreed. But they make the final one or two levels SO DAMN TOUGH in platforming games, that many people give up after coming so far and are denied the sense of accomplishment. There is no gradual rise in difficulty. Its like the difficulty level is around 50/100 throughout the game, but suddenly rises to 95/100 for the last couple of levels.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

@funkyzoom said:

@PredatorRules said:

Agreed. But they make the final one or two levels SO DAMN TOUGH in platforming games, that many people give up after coming so far and are denied the sense of accomplishment. There is no gradual rise in difficulty. Its like the difficulty level is around 50/100 throughout the game, but suddenly rises to 95/100 for the last couple of levels.

Not quite sure, the 1-3 chapters are easy as hell, you gain 100% completion without blinking an eye; chapters 4-7 are gaining quite challenge since you need (I personally) to repeat the level a time or two just to complete it's fully 100%;

7-12 (as I remember right the last one is 12) are quite hard which I gave up on completing those levels on 100% - I just wanted to finish the game already.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Sorry, I forgot with your elite professional gamer abilities you can easily beat any game.

Jiggly is correct. Sonic games are for the most part, easy to play through.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 funkyzoom

@gameofthering said:

Jiggly is correct. Sonic games are for the most part, easy to play through.

I agree, bu the key here is 'for the most part'. They are easy until 80% completion of the main levels, but the remaining 20% are ridiculously tough. More than toughness, the main problem is that the rise in difficulty is not gradual. For example, if the difficulty level is 40/100 at the beginning and 50/100 when you complete 80%, it suddenly spikes to 95/100 for the remaining 20%.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JigglyWiggly_

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@Nick3306 said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

i don't think you read the part where i said i'm not that good at platformers

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

The sonic games are a joke difficulty wise :S

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

@quikdash6 said:

I didn't say you were used to easy games, I said you are used to the current style of games, which also (for the most part) tend to be easier. I haven't played the two games you mentioned, so I might just be talking shit, but my understanding is that these games (Rayman Origins at least) were done in the fashion of how platformers used to be. Hell man, I'm 30, I remember spending hours trying to hit that long jump just right or figure out a boss fight without the help of the internet. Maybe these just take a chapter out of the old school book.

Or maybe it is because you are getting old :p

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

If you're bad with timing and not very sensitive with a controller then yeah, it's going to be hard. Try playing rogue legacy LOL. What a bitch that game was

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funkyzoom

@quikdash6 said:

@funkyzoom said:

@quikdash6 said:

I didn't say you were used to easy games, I said you are used to the current style of games, which also (for the most part) tend to be easier. I haven't played the two games you mentioned, so I might just be talking shit, but my understanding is that these games (Rayman Origins at least) were done in the fashion of how platformers used to be. Hell man, I'm 30, I remember spending hours trying to hit that long jump just right or figure out a boss fight without the help of the internet. Maybe these just take a chapter out of the old school book.

Or maybe it is because you are getting old :p

Guess what? I managed to beat Sonic Generations! Turns out it wasn't that tough after all. A certain move required me to hold down the X button constantly, and simultaneously press the A button when required (on the XBox controller). Since this was only my second game using a controller, I thought that it would never be necessary to press two buttons with one finger of the same hand. Of course, no videos or text guides mention it in this much detail, so I was struggling.