Why am I supposed to hate DRM?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
I'm honestly curious to know why DRM is so evil. I own literally hundreds of games on Origin and Steam, many of which have 3rd party DRMS and I have no little to no issues with those games whatsoever. In fact I have not disconnected a single time due to always online DRM, my computer hasn't exploded and I have been able to play whenever I want. What exactly am I missing? What is so bad about DRM? How exactly does doing nothing at all combat piracy? Believe it or not always online DRM actually works. Look at Diablo 3. Look at SimCity. Look at City XL. Look at every single MMO ever made. Clearly DRM is here to stay. In a world in which internet is widely available in all corners of the world, DRM shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have a stable internet connection, DRM is the least of your worries. I'm just absolutely baffled as to the sheer level of anger projected at any developer that want's to try to protect their product. Try is the key word here. Just because Chicago for example has a high murder rate doesn't mean we should just stop enforcing the law. The same concept applies here. Oh and sometimes when the developer says it's not DRM and it's actually meant to be a part of the game, they aren't lying through their teeth. The sheer amount of distrust is staggering. You guys act like all developers are fat Italian mobsters with a white suit when that is just not the case.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
because harder to pirate
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

If it's done right (aka Steam) it's fine.  If it's done bad, aka Sim City and SecuROM, it's fvcking terrible.   My boxed copy of GTA IV came with SecuROM and when I got a new PC a few years ago, I went to reinstall GTA and it thought I prated the game, making Niko permanently drunk and making every car I got into explode.  I couldn't fix it for months and got a steam copy for $5 that doesn't have this draconian DRM in it.  Online only shit like SimCity and Diablo 3 is just asinine beyond words.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

If it's done right (aka Steam) it's fine.  If it's done bad, aka Sim City and SecuROM, it's fvcking terrible.   My boxed copy of GTA IV came with SecuROM and when I got a new PC a few years ago, I went to reinstall GTA and it thought I prated the game, making Niko permanently drunk and making every car I got into explode.  I couldn't fix it for months and got a steam copy for $5 that doesn't have this draconian DRM in it.  Online only shit like SimCity and Diablo 3 is just asinine beyond words.

wis3boi

pics or it didn't happen :lol:

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Yeah, bro, who cares about consumer rights lol?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

lawlessx

This is what happens to GTA boxed copies when you crack it or like in my case, the DRM just shits itself after owning the copy for a few years

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Punishes customers more than the real target (hackers/pirates).

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Goyoshi12
Yeah, that's where I would say I draw the line. Don't punish the customers.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Elann2008

Yeah, that's where I would say I draw the line. Don't punish the customers.

Or as I like to call them the crustomers.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

wis3boi

I agree with this. Ideally, I'd like no DRM, but that's not realistic. However, DRM like in wis3boi's post is a perfect example of why draconian DRM needs to go away forever.

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

you're not supposed to hate anything. just try to educate yourself on who uses what drm before you buy something and judge for yourself if that sounds reasonable to you.

also, that analogy of the murder rate doesn't make sense. people who buy the product have to deal with drm, people who pirate that same product do not. so it's more like asking all suspects to report at the police station, ask them if they have an alibi for the murder, let the ones that don't show up or don't have an alibi walk out the door and do a full cavity search on everyone that does. okay, that's no that good either. oh well.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

When I visit my mom, I bring my computer and sometimes my xbox.

. . .

She does not have internet at her house. At all.

If DRM had its way, I'd not be able to play a game at my mother's house. 

AncientDozer
tether cell phone/usb lte
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It often ends up punishing legitimate consumers especially in the case of always online DRM, just look at Sim City and Diablo 3 launch. Or securom was known for having a number of issues.  Heck, even steam was considered a piece of crap when it first launched

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
[QUOTE="AncientDozer"] It's very realistic, what are you talking about? Lots of games don't have DRM and were very successful. Sins of a Solar Empire didn't have any and they more than made bank on that. And it was a niche game to begin with. Planetary Annihilation has proclaimed there will be no DRM.

Big publishers like EA or Activision will never release a game on PC without DRM.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

AncientDozer

I agree with this. Ideally, I'd like no DRM, but that's not realistic. However, DRM like in wis3boi's post is a perfect example of why draconian DRM needs to go away forever.

It's very realistic, what are you talking about? Lots of games don't have DRM and were very successful. Sins of a Solar Empire didn't have any and they more than made bank on that. And it was a niche game to begin with. Planetary Annihilation has proclaimed there will be no DRM.

That's cause they are "niche" games directed at a specific crowd and therefore they sell ok with that crowd.

If an AAA Title went NO DRM, it would get pirated to hell and back (like Ubisoft prooved with Prince of Persia)

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Imagine every single thing you bought in WalMart require you to enter an activation code and download and run on your computer 24 hours a day a WalMart Product Identification and Validation Program in order to verify that you are not illegally reselling your WalMart items. Imagine Kijiji, Ebay, Classifieds in the Newspaper were all illegal? Yeah. Welcome to the future according to DRM.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Imagine every single thing you bought in WalMart require you to enter an activation code and download and run on your computer 24 hours a day a WalMart Product Identification and Validation Program in order to verify that you are not illegally reselling your WalMart items. Imagine Kijiji, Ebay, Classifieds in the Newspaper were all illegal? Yeah. Welcome to the future according to DRM.SKaREO

That's actually a fairly good analogy when you consider that a lot more money is lost to retail fraud than anything this industry claims to lose to their favorite boogie-man, piracy.  

One time disc checks are fine.  Steam is tolerable and possibly a necessary evil (it can a least be set to off-line if need be).  Anything else is pretty much an affront to legitimate consumers.  I have never and will never buy any non-MMORPG that requires me to connect to the internet 24/7to play it.  It's really that simple.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#21 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

lawlessx

If you install the ICEnhancer mod and launch the game normally, that happens. Even if you own a legit copy. - If the DRM doesnt bother you, there it no reason for you to hate it. Problem is: it's always intrusive one way or another, unless there is another reason 'above the DRM' to make it worthwhile. AKA Steam.
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#22 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
DRM isn't evil, it's just a minor annoyance at best and major hindrance to playing PC games at worst. In practical terms, the most universal difference between DRM-free games and games with DRM is portability. That is, when I download a DRM-free game from GOG.com on my laptop, I can just save it on a USB flash drive, take it to my normally offline gaming PC, and install it right then and there; no internet connection and no fuss required. For disc checks, it's a little more complicated; to save weight on my new BitFenix Prodigy, I decided to forego on an internal drive and make do with a USB one, since I noticed that I hardly ever used my old PC's internal drive anyway. For Steam games, things start to get tricky; I used to download them to my laptop, back them up, move them into my portable hard drives, then install them when I have to lug my old big and heavy Thermaltake A30 down for updates, switching to Offline Mode before taking it back upstairs. These days I can bring my BitFenix Prodigy downstairs without murdering my arms, so I don't do that any more. Single online activations? I have to bring my USB DVD drive and the game disc with me. Even more annoying are games with online clients that don't have backup features (Origin and UPlay). If I ever have to reinstall the disc version of the latest Need For Speed: Most Wanted, for example, I can look forward to sitting through a 4.7 GB download just to play the damn thing. And of course, for games with internet dog leash DRMs (SimCity, Diablo III, Assassin's Creed 2), I can't play them at all. And that's my main gripe with DRM in general: they're so inconsistent, with wildly varying amounts of efforts given into streamlining the consumer experience and bugtesting. Added to that the horror stories like older versions of StarForce ruining your optical drives, and SecuROM taking forever to start your games, downgrading your PC's performance, and continuing to run in the background after you terminated the game and preventing you from running certain other software, and you begin see that PC gamers have a long and tortured history with DRM solutions, a history which have left us jaded and mistrustful.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58155 Posts

Because it serves the interest of the company at the expense of the consumer, while doing little to nothing in the way of combating piracy.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

If the DRM doesnt bother you, there it no reason for you to hate it. Problem is: it's always intrusive one way or another, unless there is another reason 'above the DRM' to make it worthwhile. AKA Steam.illmatic87

Exactly. That's what I'm okay with a system like Steam. It acts as a mild form of DRM, but it's also a store with usually great prices, sweet sales and preorder deals and bundle deals, a very convenient way of storing games I don't currently have installed, and it facilitates multiplayer in lots of games, and an overarching, unifying social system (should you choose to use it), for use with all of your games. It's a fantastic program for the gamer, with conveniences galore, and offline mode works perfectly fine with any game that doesn't have it's own, separate online requirement. 

Any and all DRM, short of full blown always online, in which the game actively streams necessary information from the servers, and literally doesn't have an independently functioning program installed on the users harddrive, is going to be cracked. It's inevitable, and even bothering to fight it without going the always online route is a complete waste of time, money, and resources. 

Steam is a very mild, barely even there, kind of DRM, but it does something else, far more effective, to combat piracy. It gives people who are on the fence a reason to get a legitimate copy of a game, rather than a cracked one. I know there are some pirates who will just pirate anything and everything, always, for whatever reason. But everyone who I know who does pirate games, also buys them, all the time. Sometimes they'll pirate a game at first, fall in love with it, and then buy it on Steam, just for the conveniences like cloud save storage, game backup/reinstall, achievements, easy access to DLC, or steam workshop. Sometimes they'll pirate a game when it's new and expensive, like it, but not enough to spend $60, and they'll buy a copy when it's cheaper. Sometimes they'll be planning on just pirating a new game, but decide to preorder on steam because of the bonuses. Sometimes they'll just see a game on steam for a good price, that they had pirated and played months or years before, and grab a steam copy on a whim because it's cheap and worth a replay.  Hell, I've  repurchased several games on steam, that I originally had retail copies of, just for the conveniences of having them on Steam.

So yeah.  That's  a DRM worth dealing with. Things like always online when it's not a MMO, or invasive secondary programs/launchers, that don't provide any conveniences to justify their existence, are not.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Maybe because the OP has a constant reliable internet connection. and if you dont know why DRM is bad well you know what they say ignorance is bliss

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Maybe because the OP has a constant reliable internet connection. and if you dont know why DRM is bad well you know what they say ignorance is bliss

_SKatEDiRt_

He also said, "If you don't have a stable internet connection, DRM is the least of your worries."  I guess people in rural areas have big problems and shouldn't be playing games.  Myopia at its finest.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

-wildflower-

He also said, "If you don't have a stable internet connection, DRM is the least of your worries."  I guess people in rural areas have big problems and shouldn't be playing games.  Myopia at its finest.

Dude I grew up in the dead center of Alaska. Shit was rough. Dat internet...

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

the_bi99man

they had internet? :P

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FelipeInside
I understand all the people complaining about Internet Activation, but how else would they do it?
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

My copy of Far Cry 2 was allowed only 4 installs. so there forget that stuff

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

My copy of Far Cry 2 was allowed only 4 installs. so there forget that stuff

_SKatEDiRt_
But be honest, would you really have it installed more than 4 times to play on 4 different PCs?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_bi99man

I understand all the people complaining about Internet Activation, but how else would they do it?FelipeInside

Don't? Wouldn't change piracy rates.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

wis3boi

they had internet? :P

We did, but we couldn't leave the modems on for too long, or they'd get hot and melt the walls of our igloos.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I understand all the people complaining about Internet Activation, but how else would they do it?the_bi99man

Well, that depends how you look at it. For example Prince of Persia without DRM had a much higher piracy rate than Prince of Persia with DRM.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
If their servers fail, the connection is severed or they go out of business then your purchase is worthless and that game is entirely lost. Which is a frightening thing. Even if it requires zero connectivity by design. Anyway your analogy is pretty terrible and if you want to understand why there is so much vocal opposition then why not read or listen? And no it's not here to stay, when it's a select minority of software that's using it, particularly in games.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I understand all the people complaining about Internet Activation, but how else would they do it?FelipeInside

Well, that depends how you look at it. For example Prince of Persia without DRM had a much higher piracy rate than Prince of Persia with DRM.

And how many more copies of Prince of Persia without DRM were  sold  as well? I'm pretty sure the older games were much more popular and better selling, as well. 

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

Interesting article on PC games piracy, it's quite long though but does help clear some of the myths, without justifying it

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

90% of the time DRM doesn't work and the game is pirated within a week anyway.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I hate it when you have more than 2 DRM running at once.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

kraken2109

Or a month in advanced.

But yeah, DRM doesn't work against the people it's targeting. It works against the consumer and costs a whole lot of money for nothing. The fact that a company can stoop this low on a customer base of mostly younger kids, teenagers, etc. Labeling them all potential criminals and making them or their parents foot the bill on DRM costs to protect the companies interest. Frankly, it's pathetic, especially when it does nothing to stop piracy; if anything it is helping fuel piracy. Why they continue shoving DRM in our faces is mind boggling.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45992 Posts

Goyoshi12

This. It actually pushes people towards piracy more than it pushes pirates to buying the game.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45992 Posts

If their servers fail, the connection is severed or they go out of business then your purchase is worthless and that game is entirely lost. Which is a frightening thing. Even if it requires zero connectivity by design. Anyway your analogy is pretty terrible and if you want to understand why there is so much vocal opposition then why not read or listen? And no it's not here to stay, when it's a select minority of software that's using it, particularly in games.skrat_01

Yeah I also think DRM is on its way out. I see Publishers are finally starting to realise what PC gamers have been saying all along: it doesn't stop piracy in the slightest and only ends up hurting ligitimate consumers.

Ubisoft already realised it. Diablo 3 and Simcity were pretty big examples of how not to do things. I hope this opens more eyes.

Oh and TC, the DRM in Simcity was really not needed, neither was the auction house in Diablo 3. They really are tricks used by publishers to force DRM on us. I'm not going to go into detail as to why. As I think that many people (gamers and people that know what they are talking about, like the ones that made Simcity work without internet) have said it better than me many times before. 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="kraken2109"]

SKaREO

Or a month in advanced.

But yeah, DRM doesn't work against the people it's targeting. It works against the consumer and costs a whole lot of money for nothing. The fact that a company can stoop this low on a customer base of mostly younger kids, teenagers, etc. Labeling them all potential criminals and making them or their parents foot the bill on DRM costs to protect the companies interest. Frankly, it's pathetic, especially when it does nothing to stop piracy; if anything it is helping fuel piracy. Why they continue shoving DRM in our faces is mind boggling.

So much truth.

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

I think I've had one issue with DRM, and that's when origin kept kicking me out of mass effect 3 because it couldn't connect wth EA's servers, but I created a firewall exception and never had the problem again.

I seriously have zero issues with always online as long as it works. Hell even if the freak accident that my internet stops working or I moved. It takes ONE day to switch ISP's here. Seriously, when I switched from comcast to verizon. it was just one call the day before I they came the next day to set the internet up.

I remember when I had to wait a few days for the ISP guys to set the internet up. The downtime was brutal. few days without internet? AARRGH 

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#48 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
its a minor annoyance, but only to the paying user
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

Lol people comparing the rights of physical goods to software.

You're supposed to loathe DRM and federal regulation of online piracy because we should live like commies and everything should be free.  I should have the option of stealing your physical goods, because who knows, I just might be willing to buy it someday if I'm satisfied!

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#50 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I'm honestly curious to know why DRM is so evil. I own literally hundreds of games on Origin and Steam, many of which have 3rd party DRMS and I have no little to no issues with those games whatsoever. In fact I have not disconnected a single time due to always online DRM, my computer hasn't exploded and I have been able to play whenever I want. What exactly am I missing? What is so bad about DRM? How exactly does doing nothing at all combat piracy? Believe it or not always online DRM actually works. Look at Diablo 3. Look at SimCity. Look at City XL. Look at every single MMO ever made. Clearly DRM is here to stay. In a world in which internet is widely available in all corners of the world, DRM shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have a stable internet connection, DRM is the least of your worries. I'm just absolutely baffled as to the sheer level of anger projected at any developer that want's to try to protect their product. Try is the key word here. Just because Chicago for example has a high murder rate doesn't mean we should just stop enforcing the law. The same concept applies here. Oh and sometimes when the developer says it's not DRM and it's actually meant to be a part of the game, they aren't lying through their teeth. The sheer amount of distrust is staggering. You guys act like all developers are fat Italian mobsters with a white suit when that is just not the case.Brean24

1. steam is a drm built in, why should you have log in 2 different system to access your game? like steam then it directs you to uplay/orgin. I don't have much issue with this either but it's quite stupid. WELL i have issue with games for windows
  2. all ways online is terrible for game it don't fit. Sim city for a example is not a multiplayer style game deep down. it's tacked on there and worse part IT DON'T WORK Sure you can get on but the features don't work half the time..   MMO's has multiplayer deep down nearly everything is tied to it in every aspect. so thats fine and great
  3. WORST PART of DRM attacks customers MORE then PIRATES. OO woo you stopped STUPID pirates who don't understand how to crack it or download a crack in less then 30 seconds...
 Chicago... the place where they ban guns even though thugs/gangs ect can drive hour down the road across state line and get one. Yet you can look at cities where the governor/sheriff encourage people get a gun and watch crime rate drops...Â