Who will be playing Star Citizen?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by danboyygames (6 posts) -

Hi guys! I was wondering if you heard about Star Citizen, the totally crowd-funded game from Chris Roberts?

www.robertsspaceindustries.com

Do you think it will get through a score over 9.0 in GS or it's too soon to know?

I truly love the fact that there will be realistic space flight physics implemented in this game! I was hoping a lot after I-war: EOC...

#2 Posted by KHAndAnime (13510 posts) -

I don't think it's going to get it 10, so I think it'd have to be a 9.

#3 Posted by lawlessx (46577 posts) -

lets wait for the alpha or beta first

#4 Posted by MBirdy88 (7844 posts) -

There is no gameplay? or at least any worthwhile gameplay, so how could we possible tell? all we have seen so far is pretty tech demos, and good marketing.

#5 Posted by Jacanuk (4235 posts) -

Who knows? there hasn´t even been playable alpha out yet and no the hanger demo doesnt count, that is basically just small showcase made in the crytek engine.

But i smell something fishy about that company, they are trying to much and all they do are just "fundraising"

#6 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

I haven't even heard anything about this game. Is there a demo or a gameplay teaser somewhere?

#7 Edited by GarGx1 (2537 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Who knows? there hasn´t even been playable alpha out yet and no the hanger demo doesnt count, that is basically just small showcase made in the crytek engine.

But i smell something fishy about that company, they are trying to much and all they do are just "fundraising"

What's fishy about C.I.G.? They have no marketing budget at all, everything has been done through the community or by showing up at various conferences. It's entirely funded by the community, no publisher or investors and none are needed now that they have passed the $23 million mark.

There are well over 80 people working on the game in studios stretching from Mexico to Montreal and now a new studio opening in Manchester. That's not including the development partners who have been sub contracted to work on various parts of the game.

If this was a publisher produced game the chances are it wouldn't even have been announced yet, let alone getting our hands on the Hangar module, which couldn't even be classed as pre-alpha. We're literally watching this game come together, the devs are accessible and regularly answer questions on the forums or pop into the RSI chat channel.

We'll get a better idea of the gameplay once the dog fighting alpha starts in December(ish).

A 'AAA' game has never been made like this before

#8 Posted by Gogoplexiorayo2 (154 posts) -

i wont. dont care about space games. i only care about action and racing games.

#9 Posted by kozzy1234 (35168 posts) -

I am looking forward to it, although I want Galactic Civilization 3 even more hehe

#10 Posted by FelipeInside (25349 posts) -

This game will never live up to the ultra high hype it has created, but I hope it's really good for space sim fans.

#11 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@FelipeInside: I just want an updated, online, freelancer clone.

The fact this is being built on cryengine 3, and the devs are actually listening to their donors, gives me hope for this one.

#12 Posted by airshocker (29132 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

There is no gameplay? or at least any worthwhile gameplay, so how could we possible tell? all we have seen so far is pretty tech demos, and good marketing.

Well, most of us have been running around in the Hangar module and jumping into and exploring our ships. Game looks pretty sweet from that perspective.

#13 Posted by madrocketeer (2623 posts) -

It looks really good and really ambitious - maybe too good and too ambitious. I hope they deliver, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

I'm keeping an eye on it, but in a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" kind of way.

#14 Posted by pelvist (4656 posts) -

I will be playing. Golden ticket holder here :)

#15 Posted by soolkiki (1755 posts) -

I don't care what score it gets, I'll probably play it. It looks like a blast. However, I'll have to upgrade my graphics card.

#16 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6248 posts) -

I've been waiting to play something like Star Citizen for my whole life

A game like this is very ambitious, so I don't want to get my hopes up

#17 Edited by cyborg100000 (2842 posts) -

This game will never live up to the ultra high hype it has created, but I hope it's really good for space sim fans.

I think it's in a unique position where because it's (soon to be?) fully crowd funded, the devs - a least one who has probably the best track record making space sims - aren't so pushed for time that they'll release it before they think it's ready. They're in touch with the community, and judging by what Roberts says, he seems pretty realistic and open on what they can accomplish upon release and what they can add in the future. So anyone who's done a bit of research on the game shouldn't be so easily influenced and get their expectations to ridiculous levels.

#18 Edited by enzyme36 (1485 posts) -

I think I made my choice and will go with X-Rebirth instead. I prefer the single-player world over the online community.

#19 Posted by lawlessx (46577 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

I think I made my choice and will go with X-Rebirth instead. I prefer the single-player world over the online community.

star citizen has single player.

#20 Posted by Gladestone1 (5516 posts) -

Im in already donated...Ive been waiting for chris to make a new game for eons..Im old now an was young when I first played wing commander..Ah the memories of learnin that mark hammel was in the game..Wow was I really young..Its a shame that developers don't realize what a gem space games can be..

#21 Edited by -wildflower- (2857 posts) -

I've been waiting for a game like this since I first saw Star Wars back in '77.

So, yeah, I'm in.

#22 Posted by hofuldig (5074 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Good marketing? What good marketing? they do not market there game at all its just fans telling everyone and random websites doing stories. as far as i know they have not spent a single dime on marketing because they are putting all into the game.

No one listen to MBirdy88 because he clearly knows nothing about star citizen so none of his comments count.

#23 Posted by uninspiredcup (8004 posts) -

I'll pick it up at launch if it's good. Takedown has put me off kickstarter for good pretty much.

#24 Edited by MBirdy88 (7844 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

Well, most of us have been running around in the Hangar module and jumping into and exploring our ships. Game looks pretty sweet from that perspective.

Again a tech demo that you can run that is irrelevant, yes no doubt looks pretty and detailed and is a good sign of visual production values, but at the end of the day when the graphic tinted glasses wear off its all about the space combat/exploring/trading/ect none of which has been properly shown only a very early visual demo of fighting... with slow lazers.

not that i am unconfident giving who is making it.

@hofuldig said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Good marketing? What good marketing? they do not market there game at all its just fans telling everyone and random websites doing stories. as far as i know they have not spent a single dime on marketing because they are putting all into the game.

No one listen to MBirdy88 because he clearly knows nothing about star citizen so none of his comments count.

The entire crowd funding is marketing. common sense, look at the effort he has put into his trailer videos, his spaceship videos, his launch introduction to the project that goes far beyond what most other crowd funders can do. its good marketing. doesnt have to be expensive, just good.

22 million with no return investment, this game will either win or be a prime example of people wasting their money on marketing. graphics alone, especially considering its cry engine 3 will not make a game.

#25 Posted by Gladestone1 (5516 posts) -

Ill be buying a ship myself maybe one for about a 100.Games just great..

#26 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

I gotta golden ticket!

I'm very happy to see how this game is shaping up, all the updates and information they give us per week gives me a lot of faith that these guys damn well know what they're doing. I'm feeling quite positive that this game will be fun, it's got a team that is every bit as capable as ANY "AAA" dev.

#27 Posted by klusps (10381 posts) -

I've already bet my money on the kickstarter, but the game could go either ways to be honest.

#28 Posted by johnd13 (8020 posts) -

I'm really interested in Star Citizen although it's still too soon to say anything definite. I can easily see this game getting a 9 from GS though.

#29 Edited by Fire_Wa11 (481 posts) -

@danboyygames: I will probably pick it up sooner or later. I really liked EvE Online except for two things:

1.) In EvE Online -- It doesn't feel like you are actively flying.

2.) In EvE Online -- A casual player without a corp is a small fish in a big pond (or as I have also heard it put, a child let loose on a playground of ped*philes.)

Seems like Star Citizen if done right might have the sense of exploration of EvE Online but I can get in at least a little more on the ground floor and not have my stats lapped by long-time players; I might win skirmishes based on my flying skills rather than stats (which may or may not be there.)

So, will I be playing Star Citizen? I believe the western philosopher Bugsby F. Bunny said it best when he mused, "mmmmmmmyyyyyyeeeeeeeehhhhh could beeeeeeee."

No, but seriously what's up, doc?

#30 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5887 posts) -

Looks entertaining, but I can't see how people are getting so excited about it. It's TBD 2015? Way too early to hype it up IMO.

#31 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2687 posts) -

I just can't wait for this game to come out . I think this game can easily get 10 if they got all things right . scope of this game is beyond anything ever done before .

#32 Edited by enzyme36 (1485 posts) -

@lawlessx: rea

@lawlessx said:

@enzyme36 said:

Really?! Awesome.... If that is the case, I will buy a small entry package to check it out, looks so good. It is so hard to understand what this game is all about, you go to the official website and it feels like a commercial from Starship Troopers....

I could have sworn this was a that game series that was featured on news outlets because someone lost a $9000 ship ... real world money... due to a traitor in his faction. That does not sound like something I would want to get into.

#33 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

The game looks amazing. I have no doubts that I'll be playing it in a year or two...

#34 Posted by sergio_afonso (459 posts) -

This game+ Joystick+Oculus Rift = My Second Home! :)

#35 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -
#36 Edited by lawlessx (46577 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

@lawlessx said:

@enzyme36 said:

Really?! Awesome.... If that is the case, I will buy a small entry package to check it out, looks so good. It is so hard to understand what this game is all about, you go to the official website and it feels like a commercial from Starship Troopers....

I could have sworn this was a that game series that was featured on news outlets because someone lost a $9000 ship ... real world money... due to a traitor in his faction. That does not sound like something I would want to get into.

That would be eve online. The player didn't actually pay 9k for the ship..that is just simply what the ship would've been worth when converted to real currency.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2013/07/09/eve-online-player-loses-a-spaceship-worth-approximately-9000/

#37 Edited by Fire_Wa11 (481 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

That's Eve Online NOT Star Citizen. It's a great frickin' story that everybody who games should be familiar with. Real-life magazines Forbes or Fortune magazine did an expose on it.

Some real-world dudes playing online sci-fi fantasy infiltrated another real-world dude's Corporation and ganked her. (This real-world dude was playing as a chic.) She was one of the most powerful people in the EvE universe.

Covert assassins -- The Guiding Hand Social Club -- basically publicly executed her and even stole her corpse. Spies back at her headquarters stole and jettisoned all the company's resources for other real-world dudes playing as scavengers and bastards to ransack.

The Guiding Hand Social Club pulled it off. The target/player has never been heard from again that I know of.

GHSC created a new character. Joined her corporation. Feigned to be in love with her (roleplay) and rose to VP. Then, during one of her shows of strength, the corporation paraded through the galaxy with all of their ships. Her at the helm of the rarest and most expensive, with her new VP and "lover" by her side.

As legend has it, one of the spies over the galaxy chat announces, "We are the Guiding Hand Social Club! Always remember whom you offend! Our list is long! Our patience, endless!"

And with those words, they killed her publicly and raided her corporation. I was only a casual player of EvE Online but any gamer should know that story. It's just a great example of a blurring between the reality and the fantasy that ONLY the gaming medium could pull off. I get chills just thinking about it.

I couldn't find the Forbes or Fortune article but here is another for more details: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/180867/features/murder-incorporated/?site=pcg

#38 Edited by airshocker (29132 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@airshocker said:

@MBirdy88 said:

Again a tech demo that you can run that is irrelevant, yes no doubt looks pretty and detailed and is a good sign of visual production values, but at the end of the day when the graphic tinted glasses wear off its all about the space combat/exploring/trading/ect none of which has been properly shown only a very early visual demo of fighting... with slow lazers.

not that i am unconfident giving who is making it.

It's gameplay. That doesn't make it irrelevant, no matter how many times you try and say that it does.

#39 Posted by mirgamer (1865 posts) -

I backed the game and hopefully gets to play it. Looks like the most ambitious space game ever...even Eve Online look mundane compared to it.

OTOH I also have pretty low expectations about it. All I want is Freelancer 2.0 with multiplayer, that's it so I don't think I'll be disappointed when the game couldn't meet it's almost unbelievable hype. I do think a lot of Star Citizens are foolishly opening themselves up for some bitter disappointment. I don't believe Chris can pull off half the things he wants to by 2015....

#40 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

Is the gameplay going to be anything like EVE Online? I've invested a lot of hours into that game, but I'm looking around for a new alternative.

#41 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Defiantly interested in getting this game when it comes out should be awesome to play especially with the oculus rift.

#42 Posted by Tuzolord (1292 posts) -
#43 Edited by SKaREO (3161 posts) -

Should be interesting to see how they handle the hackers.

#44 Posted by XIntoTheBlue (842 posts) -

I already donated, or paid, for Star Citizen, so I'll be playing it. I really like the concept that has been presented. I also like space sims and feel there is a lack of good ones, so I really wish this one to succeed. This is also the first and only crowd-funded game I put money into, so I decided to go out on a limb with this knowing Star Citizen could be a total flop. I also like the idea that Star Citizen will have no annoying publisher involved, do the developers of this game can stick their middle fingers out to those publishers who would otherwise screw up a developer's vision. In the meantime, I'll be picking up X-Rebirth and enjoying it until at least Star Citizen is complete.

#45 Edited by HeroinaDream (9 posts) -

I donated for Star Citizen last week, so I will be playing it. I hope the game will be a little better optimized, because with the hanger module I got like 40 FPS max with my computer and even with the very high presets the textures aren't that nice (in my opinion)... So I wish for a little improvement there.

#46 Edited by selbie (13294 posts) -

I've backed Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. I have high hopes for both so at least if one fails I won't be too disappointed :P

#47 Posted by airshocker (29132 posts) -

@SKaREO said:

Is the gameplay going to be anything like EVE Online? I've invested a lot of hours into that game, but I'm looking around for a new alternative.

No. The only similarities with the games are that they both take place in space. Aside from that Star Citizen is more of a space flight sim, whereas Eve Online isn't.

#48 Edited by enzyme36 (1485 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

That's Eve Online NOT Star Citizen. It's a great frickin' story that everybody who games should be familiar with. Real-life magazines Forbes or Fortune magazine did an expose on it.

Some real-world dudes playing online sci-fi fantasy infiltrated another real-world dude's Corporation and ganked her. (This real-world dude was playing as a chic.) She was one of the most powerful people in the EvE universe.

Covert assassins -- The Guiding Hand Social Club -- basically publicly executed her and even stole her corpse. Spies back at her headquarters stole and jettisoned all the company's resources for other real-world dudes playing as scavengers and bastards to ransack.

The Guiding Hand Social Club pulled it off. The target/player has never been heard from again that I know of.

GHSC created a new character. Joined her corporation. Feigned to be in love with her (roleplay) and rose to VP. Then, during one of her shows of strength, the corporation paraded through the galaxy with all of their ships. Her at the helm of the rarest and most expensive, with her new VP and "lover" by her side.

As legend has it, one of the spies over the galaxy chat announces, "We are the Guiding Hand Social Club! Always remember whom you offend! Our list is long! Our patience, endless!"

And with those words, they killed her publicly and raided her corporation. I was only a casual player of EvE Online but any gamer should know that story. It's just a great example of a blurring between the reality and the fantasy that ONLY the gaming medium could pull off. I get chills just thinking about it.

I couldn't find the Forbes or Fortune article but here is another for more details: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/180867/features/murder-incorporated/?site=pcg

Sorry to bump an old thread... but that story was awesome. Surreal...

Yeah I dont want to get involved in anything like that. But I will check out these single player sandbox sims... X-Rebirth and Star Cit

#49 Edited by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

Apples to Oranges, but in this case, I'd say Star Citizen is a watermelon. The game has so much more to offer than X-Rebirth ten-fold. But the game meeting expectations and hype is another story.

#50 Posted by enzyme36 (1485 posts) -

@enzyme36 said:

Apples to Oranges, but in this case, I'd say Star Citizen is a watermelon. The game has so much more to offer than X-Rebirth ten-fold. But the game meeting expectations and hype is another story.

I was confused ... I thought Star Cit was an online-only game... I will certainly buy a standard entry set into Star to check it out. These games will be my first space sims.

I dont think Wing Commander counts haha