• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 overhead_drums
Member since 2010 • 338 Posts

Just wondering how many of you guys own a Mac? As we speak I am typing this post from a Macbook pro, I also have a iMac at work. Unlike my PC i have never had any issues on my mac that havn't been solved with a 10 second google search.

Dont get me wrong i still love my PC, but for me Mac's cause far less headaches....

Got Mac?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I have Windows; but I often have to deal with Mac's in my job (I work as an IT technician). I would say the basic use of a Mac is easier than Windows, but when it comes to problems, I have so far had quite a few more serious ones with Mac's than Windows. This is obviously just my experiences though.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Nope! Never wanted one, and I just built a computer that is far and beyond their starting price of $1200 for $900. I've never had issues with my computer unless it's something that I did (with the exception of a heat sensitive pad on my laptop that was affected by the battery getting warm). So, I'm sure that I'll be staying PC. Macs are pretty, but for me, that's about it.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Nope! Never wanted one, and I just built a computer that is far and beyond their starting price of $1200 for $900. I've never had issues with my computer unless it's something that I did (with the exception of a heat sensitive pad on my laptop that was affected by the battery getting warm). So, I'm sure that I'll be staying PC. Macs are pretty, but for me, that's about it.

soolkiki

And yeah I will agree with this also. My 1200 GBP computer I built nearly 3 years ago has similar perfomance to a 1200 GBP Mac of today

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

Ive never owned a mac but might i say my iphone gives me enough problems. 

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Just wondering how many of you guys own a Mac? As we speak I am typing this post from a Macbook pro, I also have a iMac at work. Unlike my PC i have never had any issues on my mac that havn't been solved with a 10 second google search.

Dont get me wrong i still love my PC, but for me Mac's cause far less headaches....

Got Mac?

overhead_drums

My wife, kid, and I each have a Mac Mini. They're mainly for general use only. I still prefer my PCs overall.

A lot of PC software still supports Windows XP. Try to find a current app that still supports OSX Tiger. Most of them now ask you to have at least OSX Snow Leo (10.6.8) or else you're out of luck. That's BS.

If your Mac is new, no problem. 2-3 years down the line, you'll be asked to have a newer OS if you want to see newer apps.   

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

My mom uses a 5 year old iMac. Was thinking of building her a computer for her birthday or something since she's getting annoyed by how incredibly slow it is lol.

Other than that, I have no reason to get one myself.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Got Mac?

overhead_drums

As someone that supports macs, I can tell you they have a lot more problems than PCs.  You just aren't doing much with your mac.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Nope, never seen the point of getting one.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts
Closest I am to one is the iPad I got.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

I have a macbook air for my portable computing needs. At the time it was the best ultralight laptop in terms of specs and what I wanted.

N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
My wife has been into macs for the last 15 years. Whenever they fail (usually every 3-4 years) she buys a new one.
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 overhead_drums

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"]

Got Mac?

GummiRaccoon

As someone that supports macs, I can tell you they have a lot more problems than PCs.  You just aren't doing much with your mac.

And the assumption I'm not doing much with my mac because I haven't had problems is a pretty bad one.... But your right, I've never had a problem because I have never turned it on...
Avatar image for ChocolateCake10
ChocolateCake10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ChocolateCake10
Member since 2008 • 759 Posts

I used to, but then switched back to windows and got a lenovo for school 

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FaustArp
Member since 2013 • 1036 Posts

I use a Macbook Pro for anything even remotely related to productivity.

I only use my PC for gaming and light web browsing.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Nope, i see no reason to use a mac, as i don't edit viedos. There is no reason to pay a premium. 

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

FaustArp
So you spent all that money just to play games? That doesn't see logical...
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 way2funny

Nope, i see no reason to use a mac, as i don't edit viedos. There is no reason to pay a premium. 

James161324

Funny thing is, macbook airs and other ultrabooks similarly specced are very similarly priced.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="James161324"]

way2funny

Funny thing is, macbook airs and other ultrabooks similarly specced are very similarly priced.

hahahaha good joke.

i7 with 8gb ram. 750gb HDD AND an SSD. $730

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310655

13" macbook air $1400 only has a 256gb of storage (flash storage though). Only has an i5. only has 4gb of memory. Yeah you can update the CPU and memory, but that makes the price even more ridiculous. Adding the i7 and 8gb of ram makes it almost $1000 more expensive. Stop posting please. 

Or if the big SSD is attractive and you want an IPS screen you could get this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230669

Better specs, cheaper price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127890

better specs (i7 and more ram) PLUS a touch screen. Resolution isn't full HD but that's not all that big of a problem.

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FaustArp

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

Toxic-Seahorse

Not really illogical IMO.

I really like video games.

5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

FaustArp

Dude really?  Your rig will easily outperform your Macbook pro in i would imagine 99.9% of anything productive you may do!

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="FaustArp"]

FaustArp

Yeah but you can really like video games with a single GTX 680 and an i5. :P I just don't see why you would spend so much on something you only use to play games. I guess you had the money to spend though. That's one kick ass PC. You just need 8gb more ram and the overkill would be complete. :lol:
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FaustArp

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

5SI-GonePostal

Dude really?  Your rig will easily outperform your Macbook pro in i would imagine 99.9% of anything productive you may do!

I like OS X much better, my first gaming PC that I built 2 and a half is the first time I actually even owned a Windows computer.  I've been using Macs pretty much all my life.

I'm a math professor so the most intensive work thing I have to do on any computer is typing and spreadsheets.  It doesn't need to be fast.  :P  Lol.

I have my gaming PC hooked up to an HDTV in a home-theater setup so trying to do work on it would be a pain in the ass.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="James161324"]

Toxic-Seahorse

hahahaha good joke. i7 with 8gb ram. Bigger HDD. $730 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310655 13" macbook air $1400 only has a 256gb HDD. Only has an i5. only has 4gb of memory, only has intel 400 graphics. YEah you can update the CPU and memory, but that makes the price even mroe ridiculous. Stop posting please.

First off, if your in the market for an ultrabook- you dont care about gpu, you care about weight. Second off a spin drive weighs more (over 1lb difference between the two. It matters if you thats what you need). And wether or not you agree with it, you pay for the lack of weight, once things get to the 4lb+ market they are a lot cheaper. If your going the ~4lb+ route you might as well look at different options all together.

Look at ultrabooks in the same class, like the samsungs and acers (The samsung at the top was the only one that had 8gb of ram and was actually more expensive than the air). And when I was in the market, no other ultrabook had the option for 8gb of ram. And that was about 3-4 months ago. I know because I would have purchased that instead.

Look at what lenovo has to offer that is under 3lb, the price difference isnt so big now.

Thinkpad Carbon

FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FaustArp

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] So you spent all that money just to play games? That doesn't see logical...Toxic-Seahorse

Yeah but you can really like video games with a single GTX 680 and an i5. :P I just don't see why you would spend so much on something you only use to play games. I guess you had the money to spend though. That's one kick ass PC. You just need 8gb more ram and the overkill would be complete. :lol:

I actually just bought more RAM the other day, I'll update my sig after I go teach.  :P  Lol.

5SI-GonePostal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 5SI-GonePostal
Member since 2004 • 391 Posts

[QUOTE="5SI-GonePostal"]

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

FaustArp

I like OS X much better, my first gaming PC that I built 2 and a half is the first time I actually even owned a Windows computer.  I've been using Macs pretty much all my life.

I'm a math professor so the most intensive work thing I have to do on any computer is typing and spreadsheets.  It doesn't need to be fast.  :P  Lol.

I have my gaming PC hooked up to an HDTV in a home-theater setup so trying to do work on it would be a pain in the ass.

Thats fair enough :)

And the second part i would agree with also - i would get exactly 0% of work done!  I have no defence when it comes to games!

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

way2funny

hahahaha good joke. i7 with 8gb ram. Bigger HDD. $730 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310655 13" macbook air $1400 only has a 256gb HDD. Only has an i5. only has 4gb of memory, only has intel 400 graphics. YEah you can update the CPU and memory, but that makes the price even mroe ridiculous. Stop posting please.

First off, if your in the market for an ultrabook- you dont care about gpu, you care about weight. Second off a spin drive weighs more (over 1lb difference between the two. It matters if you thats what you need). And wether or not you agree with it, you pay for the lack of weight, once things get to the 4lb+ market they are a lot cheaper. If your going the ~4lb+ route you might as well look at different options all together.

Look at ultrabooks in the same class, like the samsungs and acers (The samsung at the top was the only one that had 8gb of ram and was actually more expensive than the air). And when I was in the market, no other ultrabook had the option for 8gb of ram. And that was about 3-4 months ago. I know because I would have purchased that instead.

Look at what lenovo has to offer that is under 3lb, the price difference isnt so big now.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X1CARBON_UPGRADE2_SAP&category_id=0E6E3D0084869C3EB4172DA2F965A301

You said similarly specced. The GPU is part of the specs. Why does certain criteria matter and others not? You're just ignoring stuff that doesn't support your point.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] hahahaha good joke. i7 with 8gb ram. Bigger HDD. $730 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310655 13" macbook air $1400 only has a 256gb HDD. Only has an i5. only has 4gb of memory, only has intel 400 graphics. YEah you can update the CPU and memory, but that makes the price even mroe ridiculous. Stop posting please.Toxic-Seahorse

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=37&Code=X1CARBON_UPGRADE2_SAP&category_id=0E6E3D0084869C3EB4172DA2F965A301

You said similarly specced. The GPU is part of the specs. Why does certain criteria matter and others not? You're just ignoring stuff that doesn't support your point.

No I had a list of things I wanted in a laptop, I wanted. And the macbook air at the time was the only one that could deliver. And size and weight is a part of the specifications of a laptop as well. Its just a matter of what specs matter to what people.

I wanted a backlit keyboard, ~3lbs, fast i7-u, 8gb of ram. If it doesnt work for you thats great. It worked for me. There isnt a one laptop fits all. Like I said, with those things that I wanted, the price difference wasn't there, and infaft other PC vendors that did fit what I wanted and needed were more expensive.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I have a 27in iMac 2011 model and a 17in i7 Macbook Pro 2011 model.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Ipod Classic count?
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="5SI-GonePostal"]

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

FaustArp

If word processing and data entry is a pain in the ass, than I'd imagine gaming would also be a pain in the ass.
overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 overhead_drums
I too only use my PC for gaming, mac is more comfy to sit on the sofa and get down to some serious work.... That way I can work and watch Jeremy Kyle and wish he had a velociraptor on the show!
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
I have an iPhone, no Macs. I would have gotten a Macbook Air if it was 200 dollars cheaper though.
FaustArp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FaustArp

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

[QUOTE="5SI-GonePostal"]

C_Rule

If word processing and data entry is a pain in the ass, than I'd imagine gaming would also be a pain in the ass.

No, gaming is the bomb on it.  I put a lot of time, energy, and money in setting it up to be as comfy as possible.  I posted pics in the "rate your stuff" thread.  Gaming on it is fantastic.

The pain in the ass part of working on it is that I absolutely hate MS Office, and I can't use the Mac office stuff on my Gaming PC.  I guess I could try Open Office, but why bother when I can just work on my laptop.  :P  Lol.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 clyde46

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="FaustArp"]

FaustArp

No, gaming is the bomb on it.  I put a lot of time, energy, and money in setting it up to be as comfy as possible.  I posted pics in the "rate your stuff" thread.  Gaming on it is fantastic.

The pain in the ass part of working on it is that I absolutely hate MS Office, and I can't use the Mac office stuff on my Gaming PC.  I guess I could try Open Office, but why bother when I can just work on my laptop.  :P  Lol.

Why not try Pages? I find its a lot nicer compared to Mac edition of MS Word.
Riadon2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Riadon2
Member since 2011 • 1598 Posts

I usually make it a point to avoid Apple products.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Funny thing is, macbook airs and other ultrabooks similarly specced are very similarly priced. way2funny

Similar, but the competition offers better value.

ASUS UX31A 

• $1099
  • Intel Core i5
  • 4GB DDR3
  • 128GB SSD
  • Windows 8 64-bit
  • 1920x1080 13.3" display
  • metallic uni-body
  • backlit keyboard
  • 2.86lbs
  • 0.72" thick
  • 7-hour battery
  • Wifi + Bluetooth
  • Mini HDMI, 2x USB 3.0, SD card slot, video port, audio port
  • 1 year parts and labor warranty
  • 1 year accidental damage warranty 
  • Comes with carrying case, VGA and Ethernet adapter

Macbook Air 13inch

• $1199
  • Intel Core i5
  • 4GB DDR3
  • 128GB SSD
  • OS X
  • 1440x900 13.3" display
  • metallic uni-body
  • backlit keyboard
  • 2.96lbs
  • 0.68" thick
  • 7-hour battery
  • Thunderbolt, 2x USB 3.0, SD card slot, audio port
  • Wifi + Bluetooth
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 way2funny

[QUOTE="way2funny"]

NVIDIATI

Similar, but the competition offers better value.

ASUS UX31A 

• $1099
  • Intel Core i5
  • 4GB DDR3
  • 128GB SSD
  • Windows 8 64-bit
  • 1920x1080 13.3" display
  • metallic uni-body
  • backlit keyboard
  • 2.86lbs
  • 0.72" thick
  • 7-hour battery
  • Wifi + Bluetooth
  • Mini HDMI, 2x USB 3.0, SD card slot, video port, audio port
  • 1 year accidental damage warranty 
  • Comes with carrying case, VGA and Ethernet adapter

Macbook Air 13inch

• $1199
  • Intel Core i5
  • 4GB DDR3
  • 128GB SSD
  • OS X
  • 1440x900 13.3" IPS display
  • metallic uni-body
  • backlit keyboard
  • 2.96lbs
  • 0.68" thick
  • 7-hour battery
  • Thunderbolt, 2x USB 3.0, SD card slot, audio port
  • Wifi + Bluetooth

Like I said, similar. And ~100 difference at ~1000 is minimal. Less than 10% more than the competition is hardly a premium. And once you get to the higher specced ultrabooks with 8gb of ram, and i7 ultra-low CPUs the differences become even less minimal. And at that point you try both and get whichever one you like better. I know because I was on the market for a new ultrabook several months ago and at that time the air and samsungs offerings were the only ~3lb ultrabooks that had 8gb of ram and suprisingly the samsung was more expensive. 

I'm not advocating macs, I think the macbook pros, and mac pros and all the other PC offerings are good products but rediculously overpriced. However with the air that wasnt the case. Which is why I currently have an air, not a pro. 

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 overhead_drums
I also need to use programs like Logic pro, FCP and Pro Tools. We own multi licences at work and the OSX install disc's so it made perfect sense to get a Macbook pro. Also its sturdy enough to carry around for workshops in a tech bag. My wife has even dropped a heavy clock on it, still going strong!

I am sorry but I am trying hard to not laugh while typing this. Heck was laughing as soon as I saw the topic.

I do not care how popular other Apple items are no way in hell would I own a MAC pc. LOLOLOL

DeViLzzz
What's funny?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

FaustArp

MS makes MS Office for the Mac. I haven't seen a problem yet working with files between the Windows and Mac versions.

NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"]

Got Mac?

overhead_drums

And the assumption I'm not doing much with my mac because I haven't had problems is a pretty bad one.... But your right, I've never had a problem because I have never turned it on...

Obviously he meant you weren't doing anything complicated.

overhead_drums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 overhead_drums

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]As someone that supports macs, I can tell you they have a lot more problems than PCs.  You just aren't doing much with your mac.

NailedGR

My problem is that he assumed it makes an ass out of u and me. And sorry what do you mean by complicated? I'm not balancing it on a stick if thats what you mean

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"] And the assumption I'm not doing much with my mac because I haven't had problems is a pretty bad one.... But your right, I've never had a problem because I have never turned it on...overhead_drums

My problem is that he assumed it makes an ass out of u and me. And sorry what do you mean by complicated? I'm not balancing it on a stick if thats what you mean

If you don't know what complicated is in terms of computing: lol

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 clyde46

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]As someone that supports macs, I can tell you they have a lot more problems than PCs.  You just aren't doing much with your mac.

NailedGR

So what constitutes "doing something complicated" then?
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Toxic-Seahorse

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

[QUOTE="overhead_drums"] And the assumption I'm not doing much with my mac because I haven't had problems is a pretty bad one.... But your right, I've never had a problem because I have never turned it on...clyde46

I think they mean something that actually challenges the computer. Stuff that actually uses the CPU and GPU extensively.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts
My roommate is an apple fanboy, he can't afford macbook yet but he does have one of the bigger imac's, he's got it boot-camped and can play most games on low-medium. We have passed many a night arguing about how obviously superior our selected platforms are ;)
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

[QUOTE="5SI-GonePostal"]

[QUOTE="FaustArp"]

FaustArp

Dude really? Your rig will easily outperform your Macbook pro in i would imagine 99.9% of anything productive you may do!

I like OS X much better, my first gaming PC that I built 2 and a half is the first time I actually even owned a Windows computer. I've been using Macs pretty much all my life.

I'm a math professor so the most intensive work thing I have to do on any computer is typing and spreadsheets. It doesn't need to be fast. :P Lol.

Hey, if that's what you want and that's what you got and your happy...nothing wrong with that.

*+

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="NailedGR"]

Toxic-Seahorse

I think they mean something that actually challenges the computer. Stuff that actually uses the CPU and GPU extensively.

Because gaming is complicated?

Â