which pc games in 2012 provide saving the game in the middle of the mission?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ganeshvol (39 posts) -

which pc games in 2012 providing the feature of saving the game in the middle of the mission?

#2 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3906 posts) -
That's a strangely specific question.
#3 Posted by NoAssKicker47 (2847 posts) -

Do you mean quicksaving?

#4 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Do you mean quicksaving?

NoAssKicker47

Yeah I think so. Most PC games have quicksave....

#5 Posted by Elann2008 (32988 posts) -
Quicksaving.. let's see. Deus Ex Human Revolution.
#6 Posted by NoAssKicker47 (2847 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"]

Do you mean quicksaving?

Masenkoe

Actually, this feature seems to grow increasingly rare over the last few years, well mainly in shooters anyway.
#7 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I think you mean to ask, what games use a regular save system, as opposed to a specific save location, or the increasingly popular checkpoints.

#8 Posted by kresimirzvonko (20 posts) -
Dishonored
#9 Posted by Ganeshvol (39 posts) -
Dishonored kresimirzvonko
good, but only one pc game in 2012 having a feature of saving in middle of mission?
#10 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

[QUOTE="kresimirzvonko"]Dishonored Ganeshvol
good, but only one pc game in 2012 having a feature of saving in middle of mission?

What do you even mean by "in a mission"? Not every game is mission based, and many that are don't necessarily lock you into one mission at a time. Here are some games that kind of meet what you're talking about, but the question itself doesn't really make a lot of sense:

Borderlands 2

Call of Duty Black Ops (has checkpoints within missions that you can resume from after quitting the game).

Hitman Absolution (has checkpoints within missions that you can resume from after quitting the game, but doesn't apply to player activated checkpoints).

Xcom Enemy Unknown I think lets you save during turn based combat (i.e. missions).

Mass Effect 3

etc

-Byshop

#11 Posted by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -
You could save in the middle of Risen 1... so maybe Risen 2?
#12 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

There are a lot fewer games with a true quicksave now. It's pretty damn annoying. I attribute it to all the ports and cross-platform games. I was just replaying FEAR and enjoying the fact that I could quicksave till my heart's content.

#13 Posted by Wasdie (49919 posts) -

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"]

Do you mean quicksaving?

NoAssKicker47

Actually, this feature seems to grow increasingly rare over the last few years, well mainly in shooters anyway.

Well quick-saving can really take the challenge out of the game. It really reduces the risk/reward ratios for linear games. More open world and sandbox games need a quick-save feature though. Otherwise you'll feel less likely to actually try different things.

A game like CoD or Battlefield, with their linear campaigns wouldn't really benifit from quick saving.

#14 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"][QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

Wasdie

Well quick-saving can really take the challenge out of the game. It really reduces the risk/reward ratios for linear games. More open world and sandbox games need a quick-save feature though. Otherwise you'll feel less likely to actually try different things.

A game like CoD or Battlefield, with their linear campaigns wouldn't really benifit from quick saving.

I'd like the option of deciding if I want the challenge.

#15 Posted by biggest_loser (24054 posts) -
Black Mesa. I'm playing FC3 at the moment and I can't believe that Ubisoft didn't put in a conventional save system.
#16 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Black Mesa. I'm playing FC3 at the moment and I can't believe that Ubisoft didn't put in a conventional save system. biggest_loser

I'm with you there. I really enjoyed FC3, but quicksave would've made it much more enjoyable.

#17 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

I'm with you there. I really enjoyed FC3, but quicksave would've made it much more enjoyable.

hartsickdiscipl

A quicksave would have made it too easy. As it is, when you're attacking an outpost if you could quicksave before each kill then stealthing each outpost 100% would be far too simple. Same goes for missions where stealth is required. I liked the idea that if I screwed up an Outpost attack I had to just run away and come back later.

-Byshop

#18 Posted by flipin_jackass (9726 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

Byshop

A quicksave would have made it too easy. As it is, when you're attacking an outpost if you could quicksave before each kill then stealthing each outpost 100% would be far too simple. Same goes for missions where stealth is required. I liked the idea that if I screwed up an Outpost attack I had to just run away and come back later.

-Byshop

Did you actually stealth each outpost successfully? I *tried*, but messed up (a lot) so I resorted to the guns-blazing method.
#19 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

Byshop

-Byshop

I'd like to be able to make that choice for myself, thank you.

#20 Posted by BattleSpectre (6128 posts) -

Like Elann has already mentioned Dues Ex Human Revolution. But you've probably played it by now.

#21 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

I'd like to be able to make that choice for myself, thank you.

hartsickdiscipl

Then what's the point? If the only aspect of the game that's difficult is based on self-imposed limitations rather than the rules of the game then people aren't playing on a level playing field. The whole point of a game is that is has consequence, that there is a success and failure based on your skill at the game as opposed to an infinite number of retries no absolutely no penalty for failure. The prior is what old-school PC gamers prefer while the latter is what the console generation prefers.

-Byshop

#22 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

Did you actually stealth each outpost successfully? I *tried*, but messed up (a lot) so I resorted to the guns-blazing method.flipin_jackass

Not many, and it takes -patience-. I took a lot more down by disabling the alarms first so if I screwed up on a couple of guys it didn't turn into an entire cluster frak. It wasn't until much later in the game that I realized that one of the skills in the skill tree required you flawlessly stealth at least two outputs, and by that time the outposts I encountered had about ten guys each with at least two or three heavies, a couple snipers, several grenadiers, etc.

Even then, there's no guarantee that a wild boar won't come crashing out of the bushes and root you out of your hiding spot. :)

FC3 was such an awesome game.

-Byshop

#23 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

Dishonored, Mass Effect 3, Sleeping Dogs. I can name more but I am not sure if the TC meant specifically games that came out in 2012. It is a much more rare feature then it used to be which is sad. The developer would anger nobody by including it and giving people the choice of save system. I have actually quit games like Max Payne 3 because their checkpoint save system eas so horrible. Even my friend, who fights me tooth and nail about my love of quick saves, quit Max Payne 3 over their terrible checkpoint system.

I hate people who say it takes away challenge. try playing the original Doom on Nightmare mode. It has quick saves but was a very tough game at that difficulty level. In my opinion if your game is tough because of your save system then that is a poorly designed game. I would much rather it be tough due to smarter AI.

#24 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

Dishonored, Mass Effect 3, Sleeping Dogs. I can name more but I am not sure if the TC meant specifically games that came out in 2012. It is a much more rare feature then it used to be which is sad. The developer would anger nobody by including it and giving people the choice of save system. I have actually quit games like Max Payne 3 because their checkpoint save system eas so horrible. Even my friend, who fights me tooth and nail about my love of quick saves, quit Max Payne 3 over their terrible checkpoint system.

I hate people who say it takes away challenge. try playing the original Doom on Nightmare mode. It has quick saves but was a very tough game at that difficulty level. In my opinion if your game is tough because of your save system then that is a poorly designed game. I would much rather it be tough due to smarter AI.

PublicNuisance

I quit Max Payne 3 because it was a terrible game. :P

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against the concept of "save anytime, anywhere" for games where I think it makes sense like open world games, but at least impose some sort of limitation (like no saving in combat, ala ME3) so I don't feel like I'm playing a video game version of the Nick Cage movie Next.

In my mind, a well balanced and well put together game is a game where you can take no damage if you are VERY skilled in the game. This applies more heavily to Devil May Cry-style games where you have a hyper-mobile character with a rich and robust combat system, but it can also apply to FPS titles as well. How many FPS titles have you played where there's a linear progression and no matter how well you play you just have to soak up a certain amount of damage to defeat your foes. Then the game developers "balance" this by giving you either regenerating health -or- strategically placing medkits or Chicken Pot Pies around the battlefield conspiciously when/where you'd need them most. To me, that's a design cop-out. Quicksaves (or save anytime/anywhere) are a similar escape route from bad game design in many cases, particuarly when they are completely unregulated.

-Byshop

#25 Posted by NoAssKicker47 (2847 posts) -

I kinda agree with Byshop here.

#26 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

NoAssKicker47

Thanks. I'm not saying they should go away completely. I like the idea of being able to hit F5 in Skyrim when I see a dragon looming overhead since Skyrim has no concept of "continue" or "retry", just "load last save". However, if I'm allowed to quicksave between each succesful hit and quickload every time I get hit then why am I even playing at all? I may as well save some time and make myself invincible in the console and be done with it.

-Byshop

#27 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

[QUOTE="NoAssKicker47"]

Byshop

Thanks. I'm not saying they should go away completely. I like the idea of being able to hit F5 in Skyrim when I see a dragon looming overhead since Skyrim has no concept of "continue" or "retry", just "load last save". However, if I'm allowed to quicksave between each succesful hit and quickload every time I get hit then why am I even playing at all? I may as well save some time and make myself invincible in the console and be done with it.

-Byshop

I don't see why how other poeple use a feature should affect the game I payed money for. I don't spam the quick save feature but even if I did what business is it of other people ? The developer makes a game that they hope people will enjoy, as long as I am enjoying it and I paid my money then how I enjoy my game is up to me in my books.

#28 Posted by Byshop (11485 posts) -

I don't see why how other poeple use a feature should affect the game I payed money for. I don't spam the quick save feature but even if I did what business is it of other people ? The developer makes a game that they hope people will enjoy, as long as I am enjoying it and I paid my money then how I enjoy my game is up to me in my books.

PublicNuisance

I honestly don't care how -you- play a game you "payed" for. What I'm saying is if the game requires you to spam a quicksave button to beat it then that's a crutch for poor game design.

If the game isn't that challenging and I have to impose some self-enforced rule about how I use the resources the game developers have given me, then what game am I playing at that point? Am I playing the developer's game, or am I playing some meta-game that I just made up because the developer's game's design is so broken that it poses no challenge?

Regardless of where you fall on the issue of quick saves in missions, I find it pretty sad that the idea that failing or dying in a game can carry at least -some- consequence means that your game is a-typical of the majority of games out there.

-Byshop