Which of these PC Builds is the best for the money?

#1 Edited by PCorPS4 (17 posts) -

PLEASE READ ALL BEFORE RESPONSE!!! :)

The first one is a AMD FX 3820 that will be overclocked to 4.2 ghz, and runs a GTX 770.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/D3va5t4t10n/saved/JrCFf7

The Second runs a I5 4690k, and the less powerful R9 280 compared to the GTX 770

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/D3va5t4t10n/saved/7GYQzy

The final is a special build. It runs a I7 4790k and a GTX 770, it is by far the most expensive of the 3! IMPORTANT!!!!!! Due to costs, I will only be able to purchase everything but the GPU, I will get the GPU for Christmas, which will then give me even more money for the GTX 770!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/D3va5t4t10n/saved/kq848d

So, which of these builds is the best for the money? I currently have a budget of $800, so that is the reason I would have to wait to get a GTX 770 for the I7. Now, if the I5 is the best build, should I go with the r9 280, or wait until christmas and get the GTX 770? If I do wait for christmas on the I7 or I5 build, it would be either running on the 4600 intel integrated graphics or my old 9600 GSO. Or should I get a entry level GPU and hold off on getting a more powerful one for a whole year? If I do decide to wait until christmas, I have a GPU budget of ~$325 budget; is there anything better for that price?

Is there anything I should change on the builds?

THIS IS STRICTLY GOING TO BE USED AS A GAMING PC!!!

Thank you for your time!

#2 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -

Get rid of the AMD video card on the second build and I'd pick that one.

#3 Posted by PCorPS4 (17 posts) -

@airshocker: And which GPU do you recommend?

#4 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7451 posts) -

i5 + Amd 290 gigabyte $339 right now.

#5 Edited by GTR12 (9650 posts) -

@pcorps4:

I'd go the last build, but I'm in that situation now, an i5 3570k with a 8800GTS and I'm waiting for the 8xx series.

The real question is, do you have the patience?

#6 Edited by wsdsxsdsw (4 posts) -

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hengenkaosu/saved/6F9tt6

Edit - The R9 was listed pretty cheap on that site, opted to put that in as well and still within budget.

Edited your first build a bit, this is what I would buy (if I wasn't looking very much into it / custom spec it out myself) with your price range.

Changes -

• Fixed the form factor of the case (Can't put a full ATX board in a mid-ATX case)
  • Replaced GeForce card with a heavier VRAM Radeon R9
  • Opted for a slightly more expensive Corsair Vengeance ram over the previous part. CAS latency drops from 9 to 7 with this
  • Dropped an extra $20 for 2TB HDD (with same 7200 RPM)
#7 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -

@pcorps4 said:

Nvidia. No reason to go AMD. Their cards aren't as good.

#8 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -
@wsdsxsdsw said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/hengenkaosu/saved/6F9tt6

Edit - The R9 was listed pretty cheap on that site, opted to put that in as well and still within budget.

Edited your first build a bit, this is what I would buy (if I wasn't looking very much into it / custom spec it out myself) with your price range.

Changes -

• Fixed the form factor of the case (Can't put a full ATX board in a mid-ATX case)
  • Replaced GeForce card with a heavier VRAM Radeon R9
  • Opted for a slightly more expensive Corsair Vengeance ram over the previous part. CAS latency drops from 9 to 7 with this
  • Dropped an extra $20 for 2TB HDD (with same 7200 RPM)

Not true. Most mid-towers are made large enough so that full ATX boards can fit in them.

#9 Posted by wsdsxsdsw (4 posts) -

@airshocker:

@airshocker said:

Not true. Most mid-towers are made large enough so that full ATX boards can fit in them.

Was unaware of this, fair enough.

@airshocker said:

Anything to back this up? 3dmark extreme still pretty much ties the top end Nvidia / Radeon graphics setups. There is enough power range in both that you really should just go for what fits your needs (including price).

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/3dmark+11+3dmark+score+extreme+preset/version+1.0.132

#10 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -

@wsdsxsdsw said:

@airshocker said:

Anything to back this up? 3dmark extreme still pretty much ties the top end Nvidia / Radeon graphics setups. There is enough power range in both that you really should just go for what fits your needs (including price).

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/3dmark+11+3dmark+score+extreme+preset/version+1.0.132

Until AMD cards run as cool as Nvidia cards I'll be pretty much set in my belief that Nvidia cards are better. That's the deciding factor for me.

#11 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7451 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@pcorps4 said:

Haters ghana hate. Y u gotta hate? 290 > 770 for the same price bracket.

#12 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -

@Bikouchu35 said:

@airshocker said:

@pcorps4 said:

I don't hate AMD. I simply think the heat levels for the new cards are deal breakers.

#13 Edited by PredatorRules (8110 posts) -

@pcorps4 said:

IMPORTANT!!!!!! Due to costs, I will only be able to purchase everything but the GPU, I will get the GPU for Christmas, which will then give me even more money for the GTX 770!

You can buy the 2nd, hands down great combo, you can also save some money and get the 1st combo.

The difference between 280 and 770 is about 10% so you're saving lots of money there.

BTW what's your budget limit? I could build you something nice since you're using pcpartpicker anyway.

#14 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7451 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

I don't hate AMD. I simply think the heat levels for the new cards are deal breakers.

Thats because the reference cooler suck donkeys. 280 isn't the "new" so they don't have heat issues and the 290 series runs fine with aftermarkets.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/gigabyte-r9-290-windforce-oc-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/28/

#15 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -

I overclock all of my hardware. The cooler the cards are, the more wiggle room I have.

#16 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7451 posts) -

@airshocker said:

I overclock all of my hardware. The cooler the cards are, the more wiggle room I have.

Except that Nv doesn't have any offerings that could match Amd's price to performance. Unless tc is benching for a record than it shouldn't be an issue with mild clock boost. I doubt 770 can match a 290 with its "wiggle room" while 780 are $100+ more both of which has less vram.

Its a bit better to have an nvidia card if money grow on trees, but tc is price conscience here.

I almost forgot. If he doesn't mind going used 7970/280x can be fetched for $160 on ebay and those have more "wiggle room" or better performance up top (3Gb>2Gb too!) than 770/680.

#17 Posted by airshocker (29836 posts) -

@Bikouchu35 said:

@airshocker said:

Except that Nv doesn't have any offerings that could match Amd's price to performance. Unless tc is benching for a record than it shouldn't be an issue with mild clock boost. I doubt 770 can match a 290 with its "wiggle room" while 780 are $100+ more both of which has less vram.

Its a bit better to have an nvidia card if money grow on trees, but tc is price conscience here.

I almost forgot. If he doesn't mind going used 7970/280x can be fetched for $160 on ebay and those have more "wiggle room" or better performance up top (3Gb>2Gb too!) than 770/680.

That's not the point here. The point is, to me, what makes the difference. I just told you. So I'm not sure what else there is to discuss.

#18 Edited by PCorPS4 (17 posts) -

@wsdsxsdsw: Really do like that build, will definitely have to take a look at some benchmarks with the ram and gpu, thanks!

EDIT: That GPU is a bit to weak for me, I would like to stay around the r9 280x/gtx 770 or r9 280/gtx 760 range of power.

@PredatorRules: My budget would be about $800, would like to stay around the $750 mark though, but if the build is just that good, I could probably push to $850. If I wait to get my GPU for christmas, I could get a $800 build with no GPU now (Use integrated graphics) and then for christmas get around a ~$325 gpu.

@airshocker: I have no personal preference over hardware, this is my first Major Gaming PC build, (Currently using a AMD APU chipset and a 9600 GSO) But I really don't care, I would probably choose the cheaper one of the 2 if they output the same performance.

#19 Edited by PCorPS4 (17 posts) -

I think the first thing I need to decide is which CPU to go with, then build around that. Which would be most practical? FX 8320 (Overclocked so basically a 8350), I5 4690k, or I7 4790k?

#20 Edited by PredatorRules (8110 posts) -
@pcorps4 said:

@PredatorRules: My budget would be about $800, would like to stay around the $750 mark though, but if the build is just that good, I could probably push to $850. If I wait to get my GPU for christmas, I could get a $800 build with no GPU now (Use integrated graphics) and then for christmas get around a ~$325 gpu.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJRhFT this is a build for that 1125$ plan (no GPU till Christmass but you'll find the 280 Cross combo is quite worth it)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rM2fnQ and this is a build for the 750$ cap

EDIT: you don't need i7 unless you're editing stuff / using heavy duty programs.

#21 Edited by PCorPS4 (17 posts) -

@PredatorRules: Not much of a fan of Cross fire, would just rather have 1 powerful gpu rather than 2 mid range gpu's. It's just not worth the extra $100 in gpu, and another $75 extra in the massive psu, and I would rather spend the extra $5 for the 2x4 ram sticks for the dual channel usage. I do like the I5 processor over the fx though.

One more thing to note. The fx 8350 is some-what a waste of money, it would be better to go for the 8320 and save the extra $30, as they are the exact same things except the 8320 is underclocked which can easily be overclocked to 4.0 ghz and run at the same temp.

#22 Posted by mastershake575 (8354 posts) -
@airshocker said:

Until AMD cards run as cool as Nvidia cards I'll be pretty much set in my belief that Nvidia cards are better. That's the deciding factor for me.

@airshocker said:

@airshocker said:

This doesn't make any sense (WTF ?).

The card in question is not new (R9 280 is the 7950 of 2.5 years ago) and the card runs so freaking cool that people where jumping from 800mhz to 1050-1100mhz on stock volts alone...... (Do you even know what your talking about ?).

#23 Edited by PredatorRules (8110 posts) -

@pcorps4 said:

@PredatorRules: Not much of a fan of Cross fire, would just rather have 1 powerful gpu rather than 2 mid range gpu's. It's just not worth the extra $100 in gpu, and another $75 extra in the massive psu, and I would rather spend the extra $5 for the 2x4 ram sticks for the dual channel usage. I do like the I5 processor over the fx though.

One more thing to note. The fx 8350 is some-what a waste of money, it would be better to go for the 8320 and save the extra $30, as they are the exact same things except the 8320 is underclocked which can easily be overclocked to 4.0 ghz and run at the same temp.

• Then get R9 290 or GTX780 (whatever is cheaper)
  • Dual channel and quad channel doesn't give any performance boost.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-8350-vs-AMD-FX-8320 you get performance boost for your extra money going with 8350.

#24 Posted by kraken2109 (13067 posts) -

How are AMD's GPU drivers/software these days?

They've always seemed miles behind nvidia to me in that respect.

#25 Edited by mohoc2000 (15 posts) -

@kraken2109 They have gotten better, but they are still behind.

@pcorps4If you are building a new PC, but not buying a GPU right now, buy the best you can afford. If you can afford medium tier i7, that will probably do you best for the next 4-5 years. Stay away from AMD CPUs unless it is a budget build.

#26 Edited by Jawad2007 (363 posts) -

8350 is Great cpu for gameing , I have 8350 and 290 and I can run any game at 60 fps 1080p without any problem .

wait tell developers can manage multi cpu support and you'll cee amd cpu go up like hell in benchmarks .

even watch dogs cant run 4 cores ...

#27 Edited by airshocker (29836 posts) -

@mastershake575 said:
@airshocker said:

@airshocker said:

@airshocker said:

This doesn't make any sense (WTF ?).

The card in question is not new (R9 280 is the 7950 of 2.5 years ago) and the card runs so freaking cool that people where jumping from 800mhz to 1050-1100mhz on stock volts alone...... (Do you even know what your talking about ?).

Asking someone if they know what they're talking about while misspelling you're doesn't give me a great sense of urgency to respond to you. Just a tip for the future.

#28 Posted by mastershake575 (8354 posts) -

@airshocker said:

Asking someone if they know what they're talking about while misspelling you're doesn't give me a great sense of urgency to respond to you. Just a tip for the future.

My point even with a misspelling was not only accurate but clear (There isn't a single person in this thread that would be confused with what I wrote).

Yours not so much......... (hence ignoring my clear point and whining about grammar instead).