Which Dawn of War game to get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamerperson33
Member since 2011 • 557 Posts
Hey guys, I've heard good things about the DoW series, and since they are on sale on Steam, I thought I might pick it up. However, there are 3 different titles, and I don't know which one to get. I should also note that I have never played a real RTS before, but I would like to try one. So which one should I get that would fit me? Thanks!
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#2 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts
DoW2 and Retribution are probably the best. Retribution for the single-player and hoard mode, and the RPG elements are cool so I hear (going to pick it up when it goes on sale this week). The original DoW2 is also good, decent campaign and good multiplayer. I think Chaos is the weakest from what I hear, but even that is pretty good.
ijumping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ijumping
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
The original DOW games are awesome and can be picked quite cheap from steam i would give them a go before DOW 2 , DOW2 just takes things up a few notches but costs a little more
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

I say try the first ones Dawn of War: WH40K - perhaps the Gold Edition first. If you like it, then proceed to get the rest of the expansions, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm. They have tutorials, so you'll be fine. DoW II is more of a tactical RPG (which is pretty good too) but haven't played Space Marines out side of the demo. The good thing about each of the games (DoW, Dow II and Space Marines) is that they have demos on Steam, so I suggest you give them a go first if you're still unsure.

HoosTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 HoosTrax
Member since 2006 • 1325 Posts
Keep in mind that the Dawn of War 1 and 2 are actually very different in terms of gameplay. DoW1 is more of a standard RTS format (build up your base + army). Whereas DoW2 (at least the singleplayer campaign) is more of an action RTS with some RPG elements (gear + level + skills) with the focus on being small squad command. Both are very fun imho, I can't say that I like either series more than the other. - DoW and Winter Assault are standard story driven campaigns - Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are more open-ended, and you can choose any faction, not just Space Marines or Imperial Guard. They play out more like a conquest type thing where you have a world map with different regions, and you conquer each region by fighting things out on a skirmish map with whichever faction owns that region. If you start with the DoW1 series, just an FYI that the first few games do not play nicely with widescreen monitors / higher resolutions out of the box. Starting with DoW: Dark Crusade and DoW: Soulstorm, there's native widescreen support.
Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gamerperson33
So I think I'm going to go with the Dawn of War II series. However, do I have to play them in order? Also I mostly care about the single-player, so is Retribution the best for single-player? Thanks again!
HoosTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HoosTrax
If you're mostly interested in SP, then play DoW2 and then DoW2: Chaos Rising, in that order, and you can skip Retribution. If I recall, the level progression / skill trees of your squad in DoW2 does carry over to Chaos Rising, but you can respec the skills or use pre-leveled characters instead if you're not importing a completed DoW2 campaign into Chaos Rising.
Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamerperson33
If you're mostly interested in SP, then play DoW2 and then DoW2: Chaos Rising, in that order, and you can skip Retribution.HoosTrax
Ah thanks, I'm downloading the demo right now for DoW2 and going to see if I like it. If I do then I'm probably going to pick them all up. :D
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Chaos Rising is strongest in its singleplayer component, however Retribution has more variety in races for those not interested in something marine driven. Vanilla DoW2 isn't that good at all, best for multiplayer sides Wait for a sale this week and jump on it.
I think Chaos is the weakest from what I hear, but even that is pretty good.SerOlmy
Nah, CR's campaign is fantastic, it features the strongest mission design and a tremendously well executed RPG and morality system.
Gamerperson33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gamerperson33
Just another quick question guys. Do all the games play out in the same way, or does Chaos differ from Retribution in terms of gameplay?
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SerOlmy
Yeah I own DoW2, but not Chaos or Retribution? Which one is more worthwhile?
HoosTrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HoosTrax
Yeah I own DoW2, but not Chaos or Retribution? Which one is more worthwhile?SerOlmy
Retribution is standalone, Chaos Rising continues the storyline from DoW2 with the same characters.
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SerOlmy
I'll probably pick up Retribution then. Is the campaign good? The hoard mode seemed fun.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

I'll probably pick up Retribution then. Is the campaign good? The hoard mode seemed fun.SerOlmy

its alright but its muh shorter and less developed than the other two.

i argue actually that chaosm rising and DoW2 are harder than retribution i breezed through 4 campaigns on medium. medium on chaos rising or the origional and im not as fortunate alot of close shaves.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SerOlmy

Heh, then I might just pick up "The Last Standalone". Or hold onto my money for Sword of the Stars 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d98e9b222525
deactivated-5d98e9b222525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d98e9b222525
Member since 2008 • 162 Posts

as much as I like dow2 dark crusade is the one I have put the most hours in by far

LiquidVenom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 LiquidVenom
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

It doesn't really matter if you play DoW or DoWII first, they both play differently & are both great. If you get DoWII first, you can always pick up DoW plus the expansions for a cheap price.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Yeah I own DoW2, but not Chaos or Retribution? Which one is more worthwhile?SerOlmy
Chaos Rising I'd say, it's singleplayer component is remarkably good. However if you're sick of marines and want much shorter variety (which can be repetitive), Retribution.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skrat_01

Heh, then I might just pick up "The Last Standalone". Or hold onto my money for Sword of the Stars 2.

SerOlmy
I wouldn't recommend that at all. Wait until Ret hits a sale then pick it up. Had a friend who did that recently (bought DoWII and CR prior) and regretted it immensely. The singleplayer is interesting. It's not as challenging or interesting as CR's however there's good variety in its sides to play as, and it's a good romp with nice level design.