When DirectX 10 Games come, What will be the situation with Vista sound?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Game-Guru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Game-Guru
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts
-Vista does not use sound hardware acceleration unless you have an X-Fi with Creative's Alchemy program (still in Beta)
-Vista is the only OS with DirectX 10

The best idea is to run DX9 games in XP, but what happens when Crysis is released? Surely Microsoft didn't intend for us to have to use a Creative beta program for good sound.
Avatar image for Generalkill8888
Generalkill8888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Generalkill8888
Member since 2004 • 5305 Posts
-Vista does not use sound hardware acceleration unless you have an X-Fi with Creative's Alchemy program (still in Beta)

The best idea is to run DX9 games in XP, but what happens when Crysis is released? Surely Microsoft didn't intend for us to have to use a Creative beta program for good sound.
Game-Guru
You will see DX10 games coming out as soon as April or May, Halo 2 was supposed to be released along with Vista. We all know how that turned out.
Avatar image for Crunchy_Pickles
Crunchy_Pickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Crunchy_Pickles
Member since 2006 • 268 Posts
I believe the term "good sound" is entirely relative. I have no issues with playing games on onboard audio, it still sounds just fine either way, to me at least. Then again I'm nowhere near the level of audiophile or anything, maybe my ears just aren't trained enough or something to really care.
Jiggly_Wiggly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Jiggly_Wiggly
Member since 2006 • 1912 Posts
I had vista rc2, with sound blaster beta, the sound was terriible.
Game-Guru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Game-Guru
Member since 2003 • 610 Posts
Damn, in the title there's supposed to be a comma where the first question mark is. But the issue with Vista sound is that it won't support surround sound speakers in many cases when it can't communicate with the hardware. Don't quote me on this, however, but I'm pretty sure I'll need to use my sound card with 5.1 speakers.
Cyborg-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Cyborg-21
Member since 2007 • 2700 Posts
[QUOTE="Game-Guru"]-Vista does not use sound hardware acceleration unless you have an X-Fi with Creative's Alchemy program (still in Beta)

Generalkill8888
You will see DX10 games coming out as soon as April or May, Halo 2 was supposed to be released along with Vista. We all know how that turned out.

Anyway, games such as Supreme Commander are also getting a DX10 patch to enable them to work under DX10 in Vista.