What's your favorite indie PC game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -

I have a laptop that can't play high end games because my graphic card sucks. But I can play indie games. I played Amnesia Dark Descent and enjoyed it. I'm playing Machinarium which I'm enjoying (side scroller puzzle sort of game). Any suggestions?

#2 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Chivalry. All MP, medieval combat. One of the best MP games I've ever played. Although, looking at it on max settings, you probably wouldn't assume it's an indie game. Looks damn fine. It scales pretty well for lower end machines, though. I play it on a laptop. What are your specs?

Other games that have more typical "indie game" style/graphics, and would probably run no problem on almost anything.. Braid (side scrolling puzzle game, with some seriously mind-melting time manipulation techniques), and Mark of the Ninja (side scrolling stealth).

#3 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -
8 Gb ram, I can't remember the others. I'm running Windows 7. The problem I seem to have is my graphics card which is Intel HD 4000.
#4 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

Ah. Yeah, integrated graphics are tough. The HD4000 is, I believe, the best of the integrated chips, though, and is comparable to some low end dedicated cards. I wouldn't trust it to handle Chivalry, though. You should definitely check out Braid and Mark of the Ninja, though, if you like side scrollers.

My laptop only has 4 gigs of Ram, and a dual core i5 @2.27 ghz, but I do have a dedicated HD4670 with 1gb VRAM.

#5 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

SPAZ is pretty damn fun.

#6 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -

Bastion.

#7 Posted by UCF_Knight (6863 posts) -
World of Goo.
#8 Posted by madrocketeer (2619 posts) -
FTL is simultaneously the most fun and most infuriating indie game I've ever played. I love the ship management system, the tactical options and the music, but I hate the hot poker wall of death chasing my backside towards a boss that ends up blowing me to pieces every time. I had to sort of cheat to finish this game - turned off the wall of death with a mod, then copied and pasted my save game hundreds of times to get the exact upgrades I wanted.
#9 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -
I really liked Zeno Clash only 3 hours long but an action filled 3 hours great visuals and fantastic combat best melee combat in an fps game and the sequel is finally coming out going to be so awesome :D also try Audiosurf and Plants vs Zombies fun games played those alot.
#10 Posted by RushKing (1764 posts) -

My favorite low spec indie? Dungeons of Dredmor or The Binding of Isaac. I've been liking the roguelike genre so far.

#11 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I've played Bastion and Plants vs. Zombies and loved them both. It's hard for me to tell what games will play on my laptop and which won't. For instance I played The Walking Dead games and it ran perfectly, I tried out the Just Cause 2 demo and it worked fine, same with the Eve demo. Same with Civilization 4. But then I tried to play Sims 3 and it keeps crashing. That's why I Find the pc gaming world confusing.

are there any good indie rpgs? are the fallout 1/2 games good ?

#12 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -

And graphics aren't important, but some of the indie games look really cool. I love the art style of Machinarium.

#13 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

My favorite low spec indie? Dungeons of Dredmor or The Binding of Isaac. I've been liking the roguelike genre so far.

RushKing
Forgot Binding of Isaac a very challenging game but alot of fun to play took me like 50+ times to beat it the first time of course you need to beat it multiple times to unlock new areas and get the true ending.
#14 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6178 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I've played Bastion and Plants vs. Zombies and loved them both. It's hard for me to tell what games will play on my laptop and which won't. For instance I played The Walking Dead games and it ran perfectly, I tried out the Just Cause 2 demo and it worked fine, same with the Eve demo. Same with Civilization 4. But then I tried to play Sims 3 and it keeps crashing. That's why I Find the pc gaming world confusing.

GrannyGoat
Fallout 1&2 are great also try out Diablo 1&2.
#15 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

GrannyGoat

Hm. If you're getting crashes, that's probably some other issue, not necessarily related to your actual graphics performance. Are you also getting bad framerates, before crashing?

I've heard nothing but good things about Fallout 1 and 2, though I haven't played them myself. I picked them up dirt cheap on a steam sale last year, though. Just haven't made the time to try them yet. They're both $10 on steam (or $20 for 1,2, and Tactics). Hard to go wrong at that price.;)

#16 Posted by GrannyGoat (1192 posts) -

[QUOTE="GrannyGoat"]

the_bi99man

Hm. If you're getting crashes, that's probably some other issue, not necessarily related to your actual graphics performance. Are you also getting bad framerates, before crashing?

I've heard nothing but good things about Fallout 1 and 2, though I haven't played them myself. I picked them up dirt cheap on a steam sale last year, though. Just haven't made the time to try them yet. They're both $10 on steam (or $20 for 1,2, and Tactics). Hard to go wrong at that price.;)

Well Sims 3, while creating a character it works fine but then just freezes. I don't know what the problem is. I hope to get a gaming pc after I finish school and pay off student loans so hopefully I can play these games without all the issues.

#17 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Super Meat Boy, SpaceChem, and Binding of Isaac are great indie games. I think you're basically asking what are good games that don't have high requirements though, so TF2 and Quake Live are both great multiplayer FPS.

#18 Posted by biggest_loser (24029 posts) -
Braid is one of the best games of the last few years.
#19 Posted by Lucianu (9349 posts) -

If you do get Fallout 1 & 2, be sure that for each game you get the HD mod and the Restored Content patch.

#20 Posted by with_teeth26 (6053 posts) -

Amnesia The Dark Descent, Chivalry, World of Goo.

If you want something that won't tax your hardware, Faster than Light is a great choice.

#21 Posted by bonafidetk (3820 posts) -
Maybe Bastion. I completed my first run through in one sitting. Great game.
#22 Posted by Will47 (6826 posts) -
Probably Bastion, but I recently really enjoyed Mark of the Ninja, which is advertised as being indie but had Mircrosofts name everywhere and very long credits. Both seeming a little unindie-ish.
#23 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -
The BIT.TRIP games are probably some my favourite indie games, especially RUNNER. Awesomenauts is also cool if you are looking for a different take on the MOBA games, Titan Attacks is also a cool game if you are looking for some Space Invaders action.
#24 Posted by Cloud567kar (2656 posts) -

Bastion

#25 Posted by zeus_gb (7792 posts) -

The game of choice at the moment is Unepic.

#26 Posted by Spoonoop (178 posts) -

mount and blade warband

#27 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. That is an indie game, right?
#28 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

The BIT.TRIP games are probably some my favourite indie games, especially RUNNER. Awesomenauts is also cool if you are looking for a different take on the MOBA games, Titan Attacks is also a cool game if you are looking for some Space Invaders action.EliteM0nk3y
bit trip runner is insanely hard. I tried for like half an hour to beat the last level of the first world and just gave up. I can handle difficult platforming- I beat the dark world of super meat boy. I just always lose focus and die. They really should've put save points and had another mode where getting hit means starting over.

#29 Posted by EliteM0nk3y (3382 posts) -

[QUOTE="EliteM0nk3y"]The BIT.TRIP games are probably some my favourite indie games, especially RUNNER. Awesomenauts is also cool if you are looking for a different take on the MOBA games, Titan Attacks is also a cool game if you are looking for some Space Invaders action.cain006

bit trip runner is insanely hard. I tried for like half an hour to beat the last level of the first world and just gave up. I can handle difficult platforming- I beat the dark world of super meat boy. I just always lose focus and die. They really should've put save points and had another mode where getting hit means starting over.

In the sequel they are adding optional checkpoints, so if you want to use them you can, but you aren't forced too. And yea it is extremely frustrating, but that's part of the charm, to me anyways.
#30 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15912 posts) -

I was just playing Hard Reset. Love it.

I think it's an indie game.

#31 Posted by AjaxNeron (2318 posts) -

That's a tough one, honestly. And then I remembered Minecraft!

#32 Posted by synxz (148 posts) -

I was just playing Hard Reset. Love it.

I think it's an indie game.

jun_aka_pekto
It's indie but it's pretty performence heavy. It looks gorgeous if you can run it stably but this definitely won't work well on his lappy. Look up hotline miami, unepic, dustforce, terraria. Or Sanitarium, n old age horror puzzle game.