Whats wrong with windows 8?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

I just upgraded to windows 8, and it definitely feels faster and looks better, whats your reason for not liking it?

#2 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

I like it perfectly fine.  I've been using it awhile and I don't understand the general hatred towards it either.

#3 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -
bu-bu-but the tiles... :P
#4 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23718 posts) -
It's fine with start8
#5 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

I recently purchased a Toshiba Qosmio, and it cam standard with Win8. I was a little worried about it becuase of all the hate it received at launch, but I have to say my experience has been great.

It's super fast and very easy to get used to. After about a hour of fooling around on it, I found navigation to be very easy. I am still amazed that everytime I start my laptop, it takes like 8 seconds to load. haha

#6 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -
What I don't like about it is how IE 10 has issues with some websites, and that I have to mod it or wait for the service pack, to have a start menu. Oh, and the fact there's no "X" to click so I can close-out any program I run that goes full-screen.
#7 Posted by wiicube64 (371 posts) -
What I don't like about it is how IE 10 has issues with some websites, and that I have to mod it or wait for the service pack, to have a start menu. Oh, and the fact there's no "X" to click so I can close-out any program I run that goes full-screen.Stinger78
Desktop programs run just the same. Windows 8 programs are essentially tablet apps, that run much better with a mouse than people give Microsoft credit for. So not every application defaults to fullscreen, only the Windows Store Apps.
#8 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6689 posts) -

Well I think the major complaints are:

1) no real reason to pick it over win 7.

2) the oft spoken off killswitch for software.

So basicly it is the paranoid fear of MS killing programs and apps, and the very real question of why pick win8 over win7.

#9 Posted by JimmyJumpy (2554 posts) -

I just upgraded to windows 8, and it definitely feels faster and looks better, whats your reason for not liking it?

Alienware_fan

Opening Windows 8 feels like a trip to some lunatic Kubist dentist's parlour...

#10 Posted by XaosII (16672 posts) -

Well I think the major complaints are:

1) no real reason to pick it over win 7.

2) the oft spoken off killswitch for software.

So basicly it is the paranoid fear of MS killing programs and apps, and the very real question of why pick win8 over win7.

Maddie_Larkin

1) Faster boot times and shut down times. Vastly improved task manager. Battery life savings for laptops. Sleep/hybrid mode so you get the best of both rather than picking between one or the other. Settings can synchronize between multiple computers. File History options to for file backups and file versioning. Much more convenient File Explorer with more features exposed than Win 7. Built in Microsoft Security Essentials at the OS level so it performs better and extends a few IE only features to the entire OS. Storage Spaces feature allows to dynamically resize RAID-like arrays. Reset and Refresh features make it much nicer to reformat (reformating without a disk completely, or reformat and maintain personal settings and files). Better multimonitor support (has lots of features that required stuff like Multimon to take advantage of). Native USB 3.0, printer driver, 2TB+, and sensors support. Copy/pasting dialog is much better, especially for handling overwriting files.

Theres more. But i can't remember off the top of my head.

2) The rarely mentioned "killswitch" exists only for apps purchased through the app store in Windows 8. And its desgined to kill any application that is malicious or violates Microsoft's terms of agreements with an app run amok. Pretty sure it hasn't been used at all. Can't seem to find any news of this since early 2012.

#11 Posted by soolkiki (1776 posts) -

I simply don't like the tiles that were designed for tablets in mind. Of course, you can mod it, but that's a pain that I could easily avoid with Win 7. Certainly an OS I'm happy with! :) I think it all breaks down to preference.

#12 Posted by kaitanuvax (3814 posts) -

I simply don't like the tiles that were designed for tablets in mind. Of course, you can mod it, but that's a pain that I could easily avoid with Win 7. Certainly an OS I'm happy with! :) I think it all breaks down to preference.

soolkiki

The mod literally took me 10 minutes to do. Win 8 is subtly better in every other aspect than Win 7.

#13 Posted by metacritical (2535 posts) -
the biggest problem win Win8 is that casual users get confused with the layout; a friend used it for 10 minutes and couldn't work out how to get back to the home page. why would they try to learn how to use something which is not intuitive when Win 7 is simply much easier to use as it's similar to previous OSes? people say you can mod it the way you like, but you shouldn't need to. we like to mod it because we're 'power users', most people are not like us and if non-power users can't use it without modding they're simply not going to buy it.
#14 Posted by Alienware_fan (1514 posts) -

the biggest problem win Win8 is that casual users get confused with the layout; a friend used it for 10 minutes and couldn't work out how to get back to the home page. why would they try to learn how to use something which is not intuitive when Win 7 is simply much easier to use as it's similar to previous OSes? people say you can mod it the way you like, but you shouldn't need to. we like to mod it because we're 'power users', most people are not like us and if non-power users can't use it without modding they're simply not going to buy it. metacritical
It took me 30mins to get used to the new ui. And i like it better now.

#15 Posted by soolkiki (1776 posts) -

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

kaitanuvax

The mod literally took me 10 minutes to do. Win 8 is subtly better in every other aspect than Win 7.

Still, it would be something that I would like to avoid, so I am. Win 7 is the best OS I've ever used and I'm very happy with it.

#16 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

[QUOTE="Maddie_Larkin"]

1) Faster boot times and shut down times. Vastly improved task manager. Battery life savings for laptops. Sleep/hybrid mode so you get the best of both rather than picking between one or the other. Settings can synchronize between multiple computers. File History options to for file backups and file versioning. Much more convenient File Explorer with more features exposed than Win 7. Built in Microsoft Security Essentials at the OS level so it performs better and extends a few IE only features to the entire OS. Storage Spaces feature allows to dynamically resize RAID-like arrays. Reset and Refresh features make it much nicer to reformat (reformating without a disk completely, or reformat and maintain personal settings and files). Better multimonitor support (has lots of features that required stuff like Multimon to take advantage of). Native USB 3.0, printer driver, 2TB+, and sensors support. Copy/pasting dialog is much better, especially for handling overwriting files.

Theres more. But i can't remember off the top of my head.

2) The rarely mentioned "killswitch" exists only for apps purchased through the app store in Windows 8. And its desgined to kill any application that is malicious or violates Microsoft's terms of agreements with an app run amok. Pretty sure it hasn't been used at all. Can't seem to find any news of this since early 2012.

XaosII
Like I said earlier, I have Win8 on my laptop. While I was pessimistic at first, I wouldn't downgrade to Win7 for any thing. The boot times are incredible and it is easy to navigate the ui after about an hour of looking around.

[QUOTE="metacritical"]the biggest problem win Win8 is that casual users get confused with the layout; a friend used it for 10 minutes and couldn't work out how to get back to the home page. why would they try to learn how to use something which is not intuitive when Win 7 is simply much easier to use as it's similar to previous OSes? people say you can mod it the way you like, but you shouldn't need to. we like to mod it because we're 'power users', most people are not like us and if non-power users can't use it without modding they're simply not going to buy it. Alienware_fan

It took me 30mins to get used to the new ui. And i like it better now.

I actually have it on my business laptop, which my dad and I share. My dad picked it up with no problem, and he usually struggles with technology in general. lol Anyways, I am still surprised people are that negative towards this OS. Admittedly, I was negative towards it when I first saw it inaction, but after using it on my own device, I have changed my tune.
#17 Posted by wazzap76 (290 posts) -

The way it looks, the way it runs, and the implications of what it means for the future of computers. No thank I'll stick with windows 7

#18 Posted by osan0 (12878 posts) -
not enough reason to upgrade my existing hardware. faster startup and shutdown times seem to be the main thing but i only restart my computers after updates. nice to have but not worth the moolah. in saying that if if i got a computer with win8 on it then i dont think i would bother removing it. although i dont like metro its not really something i would see myself using a whole lot anyway.
#19 Posted by GeneralMufinMan (368 posts) -

It's fine with start8JigglyWiggly_

Agreed, been using it since it released and it's fine. A bit faster then 7 and some of the system tools are better.

#20 Posted by lhughey (4257 posts) -
Because people like to jump on the bandwagon of hate. I don't miss the start menu at all. I simply press the windows key then start typing for the program I want to choose. Its no different than win7 as far as usability for me. I can understand how it would be a slight difference for those who like to go to the start menu and find their program, but Win8 is much faster because all of the programs are presented at once, versus a hierarchical menu system in previous versions.
#21 Posted by Cyberdot (3539 posts) -

Dat Metro...

#22 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

No START button.

DUH.

#23 Posted by AMD655 (4494 posts) -

Everything.

#24 Posted by Byshop (12192 posts) -

The only complaint that I can actually agree with is that if you are already running Windows 7, unless there is some specific feature that Win8 has that 7 doesn't that you need then the upgrade might not be worth the money to you. If you get your software free through work, or you buy a new system that comes preloaded with 8, then there's no reason not to go with it.

Metro/Modern, while it looks very different, works almost exactly like the Start Menu did so I wouldn't even say that the Start Menu Replacement apps are necessary. Click in the lower left hand corner, start typing the name of the app you want, click or press enter when the menu filters down to what you're looking for. If you are used to clicking around in a folder tree heiarchy then sure, it's a bit less efficient, but frankly if speed and efficieny is your main concern then why weren't you already creating Quicklink or Destop shortcuts for your most commonly used apps anyway?

-Byshop

#25 Posted by FaustArp (1038 posts) -

The only complaint that I can actually agree with is that if you are already running Windows 7, unless there is some specific feature that Win8 has that 7 doesn't that you need then the upgrade might not be worth the money to you. If you get your software free through work, or you buy a new system that comes preloaded with 8, then there's no reason not to go with it.

Metro/Modern, while it looks very different, works almost exactly like the Start Menu did so I wouldn't even say that the Start Menu Replacement apps are necessary. Click in the lower left hand corner, start typing the name of the app you want, click or press enter when the menu filters down to what you're looking for. If you are used to clicking around in a folder tree heiarchy then sure, it's a bit less efficient, but frankly if speed and efficieny is your main concern then why weren't you already creating Quicklink or Destop shortcuts for your most commonly used apps anyway?

-Byshop

Byshop

I agree with this.

Windows 8 is fine, but it doesn't really offer anything that Windows 7 doesn't have.  I do get software free from work, so I went ahead with it, but I dunno that it's worth shelling out money for.

#26 Posted by lhughey (4257 posts) -

No START button.

DUH.

Netherscourge

Why would you use a start button? Serious question. Its way too slow to grab your mouse and roll over every program and wait for it to open so you can select the shortcut to the exe. Its sooooo much better to press Winkey then start typing, then press enter.

And if you just have to use a mouse to select a program, why would you not prefer metro which provides you a way to quickly scan all of your exe's at once instead of having to open each start menu folder to select folder.

SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER THIS.  I'VE NEVER UNDERSTOOD THIS.

#27 Posted by metacritical (2535 posts) -
Why would you use a start button? Serious question. Its way too slow to grab your mouse and roll over every program and wait for it to open so you can select the shortcut to the exe. Its sooooo much better to press Winkey then start typing, then press enter.lhughey
because when i'm browsing the web or watching a film or whatever on my PC i sit in the reclining position with my hand on the mouse, so why would i sit up and start typing when i can just use my mouse. i incidentally arrange my start menu in a very efficient hierarchical structure so i don't have 50 different folders with shortcuts inside, i have 7 folders with relevant sub folders which makes it easier to use. i've also tweaked the access speed so it is instantaneous rather than the default 400 millisecond delay. to answer your other question, i prefer my desktop to be clutter free and have no shortcuts
#28 Posted by Byshop (12192 posts) -

I agree with this.

Windows 8 is fine, but it doesn't really offer anything that Windows 7 doesn't have.  I do get software free from work, so I went ahead with it, but I dunno that it's worth shelling out money for.

FaustArp

I didn't mean to say it doesn't -have- any different features, only that what new features it has may not be worth the money if you have to buy your own OSes. The fast boot is great, especially if you have a mobile device like an Ultrabook or Tablet. My Thinkpad Helix takes 7 seconds from power button press to desktop when waking from Hibernation, so I don't even bother with sleep mode anymore.

The revised Explorer for file manipulation is so much better it's painful for me to go back to the old one. The revised Task Manager is kind of cool, although some of the additions are not what I'd call a huge improvement.

Native Bluetooth, NFC, GPS, etc support is pretty slick (again, if you have a mobile device).

Full Hyper-V in Windows 8 is awesome if you like virtualization.

Some of the undocumented features are awesome, though. Server 2012 supports block level dedup and you can use the cabs from Server to enable this feature on Windows 8. One of my Steam volumes is installed on an SSD RAID set, and currently I have 631GB of data stored on a 512GB volume with 32GB free. That's 150GB of saved space, which is the roughly equivilent of another $140 SSD drive added to my computer. That's a very quantifiable return on my investment.

But, if these features don't apply to a user or are something they don't care about then it's not worth the money. Windows 7 is a perfectly decent OS, too.

-Byshop

#29 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23718 posts) -

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

No START button.

DUH.

lhughey

Why would you use a start button? Serious question. Its way too slow to grab your mouse and roll over every program and wait for it to open so you can select the shortcut to the exe. Its sooooo much better to press Winkey then start typing, then press enter.

And if you just have to use a mouse to select a program, why would you not prefer metro which provides you a way to quickly scan all of your exe's at once instead of having to open each start menu folder to select folder.

It's less confusing when you have a ton of applications running on your desktop. You can see where your new application opened in comparison to the old applications. If you use the tiles then you may not realize where your new application just opened because you weren't looking at your desktop. You can still type by pressing the Windows keys and search with the start menu. It's simply cleaner, I don't want my whole desktop transforming when I search for a new application.
#30 Posted by lhughey (4257 posts) -
[QUOTE="lhughey"]Why would you use a start button? Serious question. Its way too slow to grab your mouse and roll over every program and wait for it to open so you can select the shortcut to the exe. Its sooooo much better to press Winkey then start typing, then press enter.metacritical
because when i'm browsing the web or watching a film or whatever on my PC i sit in the reclining position with my hand on the mouse, so why would i sit up and start typing when i can just use my mouse. i incidentally arrange my start menu in a very efficient hierarchical structure so i don't have 50 different folders with shortcuts inside, i have 7 folders with relevant sub folders which makes it easier to use. i've also tweaked the access speed so it is instantaneous rather than the default 400 millisecond delay. to answer your other question, i prefer my desktop to be clutter free and have no shortcuts

Thanks for answering the question. Its very odd that someone answers a question on SW without being a smart ass. Respect. That's a valid answer, although my next statement might be that there are very few programs that you can use without needing to touch your keyboard at all. You have the option of mapping the windows key to a button combo on your mouse if your wanted to. Win8.1 will have a start menu button that will point to the metro tiles. You can setup your tiles to you liking so that your most used programs are in a "tile section" (like a folder, but its flat).
#31 Posted by Byshop (12192 posts) -

[QUOTE="lhughey"]Why would you use a start button? Serious question. Its way too slow to grab your mouse and roll over every program and wait for it to open so you can select the shortcut to the exe. Its sooooo much better to press Winkey then start typing, then press enter.metacritical

So your complaint is that you can't open the Win 8 Metro interface with your mouse? This has nothing to do with having a Start button.

You can arrange the Modern UI front page to have all the icons you want for your apps. True, you cannot arrange them into folders like you could with the Start Menu, but this is being fixed in Win 8.1 which allows you to create custom groups on the main page.

-Byshop

#32 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1818 posts) -
Despite what MS, and alot of other people want to think, touch screens are not the future. Win8 is ugly and awkward as hell.
#33 Posted by Byshop (12192 posts) -

Despite what MS, and alot of other people want to think, touch screens are not the future. Win8 is ugly and awkward as hell.AlexKidd5000

That depends on what you mean by "the future".

Are touchscreens going to replace KB and mouse for gaming and productivity apps? Absolutely not, because there are far too many things that KB and Mouse do better. Nobody's going to run out and replace their 30" 120HZ gaming monitors with touch-enabed versions for two to three times the price. 

However, the idea of tablet computing isn't going away anytime soon. iPads alone have sold over 100 million units to date (not including other tablets like color Ereaders, proper droid tablets, etc), and I constantly get innundated with questions from my less computer savy friends and family along the lines of "do I really need a computer or can I just get an iPad". The answer to which is "if you want to do any serious work, then you still need a computer", so the idea of a convertable touchscreen laptop or tablet with detachable keyboard is VERY appealing to the average consumer.

I really liked my original iPad 1. The only gripe I had with it was that it didn't run Windows. Now I have a Windows tablet that goes with me with I travel versus my main gaming rig.

-Byshop

#34 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1818 posts) -

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]Despite what MS, and alot of other people want to think, touch screens are not the future. Win8 is ugly and awkward as hell.Byshop

That depends on what you mean by "the future".

Are touchscreens going to replace KB and mouse for gaming and productivity apps? Absolutely not, because there are far too many things that KB and Mouse do better. Nobody's going to run out and replace their 30" 120HZ gaming monitors with touch-enabed versions for two to three times the price. 

However, the idea of tablet computing isn't going away anytime soon. iPads alone have sold over 100 million units to date (not including other tablets like color Ereaders, proper droid tablets, etc), and I constantly get innundated with questions from my less computer savy friends and family along the lines of "do I really need a computer or can I just get an iPad". The answer to which is "if you want to do any serious work, then you still need a computer", so the idea of a convertable touchscreen laptop or tablet with detachable keyboard is VERY appealing to the average consumer.

I really liked my original iPad 1. The only gripe I had with it was that it didn't run Windows. Now I have a Windows tablet that goes with me with I travel versus my main gaming rig.

-Byshop

The general consensus seems to be that touch screens are gonna replace KB/M for everything. I use an Ipad from time to time, and there are so many limitations with using a touch screen. Unless Android is that much better than the ipad. I'd rather just have a normal laptop if I'm going anywhere, or want to watch netflix while I'm in the kitchen cooking, or doing dishes or something. Portability is not enough for me to buy a tablet, as odd as that sounds. Laptops are better for me if I want to have a computer when I'm away from the desk.
#35 Posted by Byshop (12192 posts) -

The general consensus seems to be that touch screens are gonna replace KB/M for everything. I use an Ipad from time to time, and there are so many limitations with using a touch screen. Unless Android is that much better than the ipad. I'd rather just have a normal laptop if I'm going anywhere, or want to watch netflix while I'm in the kitchen cooking, or doing dishes or something. Portability is not enough for me to buy a tablet, as odd as that sounds. Laptops are better for me if I want to have a computer when I'm away from the desk.AlexKidd5000

Yeah, and people who think that are being unrealistic. Nobody in their right mind is going to type the next great american novel on a soft keyboard, but just because it's not as good at everything, doesn't mean it's going to get dumped either. Just like a mouse or a digitizer pad, it's -another- way we can interface with our computers and just because it's better at some things while being worse at others, that doesn't mean it won't have a place among the various other input devices.

We started adding touch devices to our corporate procurement and they are VERY popular with the executives and marketing guys (who don't have to do heavy computing but benefit from the extended battery life and portability). The Dell XPS 12 and Surface Pro are a couple models that people are clamboring over. 

For my purposes, I needed something a bit beefier so I bought myself a Thinkpad Helix, which is essentially the best of both worlds. When I travelled, I used to carry my Dell E6400 (work assigned laptop), my Alienware M17x R2 (gaming rig plus in-hotel media center), and my Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T (Atom based x86 Windows tablet) or iPad. Total carry weight was about 25 lbs combined, which I split between my backpack and rollerboard.

Now I just carry my Helix (under 4lbs with power adapter). It's not as good for gaming as my Alienware (obviously), but the HD4000 can run a lot of stuff and as a work computer/tablet/ereader it's much better than anything else I used to carry.

-Byshop

#36 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1818 posts) -

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]The general consensus seems to be that touch screens are gonna replace KB/M for everything. I use an Ipad from time to time, and there are so many limitations with using a touch screen. Unless Android is that much better than the ipad. I'd rather just have a normal laptop if I'm going anywhere, or want to watch netflix while I'm in the kitchen cooking, or doing dishes or something. Portability is not enough for me to buy a tablet, as odd as that sounds. Laptops are better for me if I want to have a computer when I'm away from the desk.Byshop

Yeah, and people who think that are being unrealistic. Nobody in their right mind is going to type the next great american novel on a soft keyboard, but just because it's not as good at everything, doesn't mean it's going to get dumped either. Just like a mouse or a digitizer pad, it's -another- way we can interface with our computers and just because it's better at some things while being worse at others, that doesn't mean it won't have a place among the various other input devices.

We started adding touch devices to our corporate procurement and they are VERY popular with the executives and marketing guys (who don't have to do heavy computing but benefit from the extended battery life and portability). The Dell XPS 12 and Surface Pro are a couple models that people are clamboring over. 

For my purposes, I needed something a bit beefier so I bought myself a Thinkpad Helix, which is essentially the best of both worlds. When I travelled, I used to carry my Dell E6400 (work assigned laptop), my Alienware M17x R2 (gaming rig plus in-hotel media center), and my Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T (Atom based x86 Windows tablet) or iPad. Total carry weight was about 25 lbs combined, which I split between my backpack and rollerboard.

Now I just carry my Helix (under 4lbs with power adapter). It's not as good for gaming as my Alienware (obviously), but the HD4000 can run a lot of stuff and as a work computer/tablet/ereader it's much better than anything else I used to carry.

-Byshop

Of course, thats kinda what I mean. Touch screens are just one input method, not the be all end all way of using computers.
#37 Posted by 145ty (559 posts) -

Nothing is wrong with Windows 8.  The first 5 minutes after I installed it, I put a start menu app and you would't even notice a difference between W7 and W8 tbh.

#38 Posted by sleepingzzz (2263 posts) -

The UI is probably one of the worst ever released by MS (Not an easy task).

You can download one of the start menu programs to fix this.

If you already have Windows 7 than there is no need to upgrade as the benefits are minor.

#39 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -
once you have start 8 is is better than 7 but the new start screen isn't very good for keyboard and mouse.
#40 Posted by imprezawrx500 (19187 posts) -

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

No START button.

DUH.

lhughey

Because it lacks the other side of the start menu with things like computer, control panel, admin tools, run etc sure you don't need them most of the time but the new start screen is very limiting, I bet start8 is installed on millions of desktop and laptop computers because it makes windows 8 run they way it should have been to start with, metro should only be seen on a touch device or maybe media center, it has no place on a desktop.
#41 Posted by lhughey (4257 posts) -
[QUOTE="lhughey"]

[QUOTE="Netherscourge"]

No START button.

DUH.

imprezawrx500

Because it lacks the other side of the start menu with things like computer, control panel, admin tools, run etc sure you don't need them most of the time but the new start screen is very limiting, I bet start8 is installed on millions of desktop and laptop computers because it makes windows 8 run they way it should have been to start with, metro should only be seen on a touch device or maybe media center, it has no place on a desktop.

Create your own desktop items. Problem solved. Or better yet, hit winkey + "contr" then press "enter". That's just like how i did it in Win7. Browsing icons is slow.
#42 Posted by Byshop (12192 posts) -

Because it lacks the other side of the start menu with things like computer, control panel, admin tools, run etc sure you don't need them most of the time but the new start screen is very limiting, I bet start8 is installed on millions of desktop and laptop computers because it makes windows 8 run they way it should have been to start with, metro should only be seen on a touch device or maybe media center, it has no place on a desktop. imprezawrx500

Everything you just described is in the new start menu, as well as multiple other locations. People are just too lazy to learn how to use the new OS:

How to get to the control panel:

1) Windows Key + R, "control", Enter (as mentioned and works EXACTLY the same as almost every previous version of Windows)

2) Press the Windows Key or click in the lower left hand corner of the screen to bring up the Start Menu, start typing "control panel" until Control Panel becomes the selected option, press Enter or click Control Panel with the mouse (works almost EXACTLY the same was as every previous version of Windows)

3) Right click the lower left corner of the screen and click Control Panel.

4) While at the desktop, mouse over the lower right corner of the screen, click the Settings gear, click Control Panel.

5) Touchscreen - Swipe from right edge, touch the Settings gear, touch Control Panel.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

-Byshop

#43 Posted by kungfool69 (2581 posts) -

[QUOTE="kaitanuvax"]

[QUOTE="soolkiki"]

soolkiki

Still, it would be something that I would like to avoid, so I am. Win 7 is the best OS I've ever used and I'm very happy with it.

have u not used the Desktop app/tile? makes it look like windows 7....i sell PC's for a living, and we are getting a very funny mirroring of Vista, with customers coming in with preconceptions of what windows 8 is. Their preconceptions are built by nay-sayers who simply glanced at it and don't care, there-fore no one should care, "but my friend in IT said i won't like it, so i don't like it". in less then 10 seconds i have shown them how to work it and people now love windows 8.

#44 Posted by kungfool69 (2581 posts) -

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]Because it lacks the other side of the start menu with things like computer, control panel, admin tools, run etc sure you don't need them most of the time but the new start screen is very limiting, I bet start8 is installed on millions of desktop and laptop computers because it makes windows 8 run they way it should have been to start with, metro should only be seen on a touch device or maybe media center, it has no place on a desktop. Byshop

Everything you just described is in the new start menu, as well as multiple other locations. People are just too lazy to learn how to use the new OS:

How to get to the control panel:

1) Windows Key + R, "control", Enter (as mentioned and works EXACTLY the same as almost every previous version of Windows)

2) Press the Windows Key or click in the lower left hand corner of the screen to bring up the Start Menu, start typing "control panel" until Control Panel becomes the selected option, press Enter or click Control Panel with the mouse (works almost EXACTLY the same was as every previous version of Windows)

3) Right click the lower left corner of the screen and click Control Panel.

4) While at the desktop, mouse over the lower right corner of the screen, click the Settings gear, click Control Panel.

5) Touchscreen - Swipe from right edge, touch the Settings gear, touch Control Panel.

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

-Byshop

sorry to double post, but a few oehr hot tips to find things. the tile screen is also a search screen, so just type away!!! type uninstall and the system will link u to "add/remove". type in control, and it would link u with a short cut to control panel.