Whats the original thief game like?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22107 posts) -

I just got my code from amazon for the gold edition. But I don't play a lot of stealth games besides the last deus ex game. I know the second game is supposed to be best, but the gold edition of the first was free so I could't pass it up. I already found a graphic mods for it so I am all set on it, but is the game accessible to newcomers?

#2 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

have you tried watching lets play?

I was watching original thief lets plays last night

#3 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22107 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Sorry, I don't watch those because when the youtubers are speaking, it breaks the immersion for me.

#4 Posted by bussinrounds (1974 posts) -

It's great. Just play it and take your time with it.

Why would you watch a video of someone else playing a game you own, when you can just play the f-n thing yourself and find out ?

#5 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Sorry, I don't watch those because when the youtubers are speaking, it breaks the immersion for me.

so you come to a forum page to ask other players what they think of the game instead of watching someone play the game and telling you what they think

this community is very odd.

#6 Posted by Arthas045 (5055 posts) -

Game is dated, but I think it is still a great game.

#8 Edited by PredatorRules (7061 posts) -
#9 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22107 posts) -

So i'm downloading some mods for the game, but whats the difference with the texture pack and the enhancement pack? What other mods should I download?

#10 Posted by way2funny (4569 posts) -

So i'm downloading some mods for the game, but whats the difference with the texture pack and the enhancement pack? What other mods should I download?

Eh, if you don't mind lower res textures, I think the GOG version of the game works really well. It has the FOV and Resolution fix which imo is the most important part. But then again I don't mind the older visuals, some how it even added to the atmosphere almost. The one thing I would say is, explore a lot, and if you get stuck don't be afraid to look things up. The game can be punishing, but that is part of the experience and enjoyment.

#11 Posted by BSC14 (3531 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07: better than the new one

I DON'T GET THE FUNNY HERE....oops caps

Anyway, you don't know if they are better than the new one because you don't own the new one.

Let me guess....you don't like it because you have an option for combat?

#12 Posted by PredatorRules (7061 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@PredatorRules said:

Anyway, you don't know if they are better than the new one because you don't own the new one.

I don't like it because it's a copy paste gameplay of Dark Messiah and Dishonored

#13 Posted by BSC14 (3531 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@PredatorRules said:

I don't like it because it's a copy paste gameplay of Dark Messiah and Dishonored

How's that? Thief was around first so you could say they copied thief, no?

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (7061 posts) -

@BSC14 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@BSC14 said:

@PredatorRules said:

How's that? Thief was around first so you could say they copied thief, no?

Have you even seen the new Thief gameplay? the old ones got third person camera while the new one is in 1st person with game mechanics on Dishonored and Dark Messiah.

Dishonored got different art style, theme and story than Dark Messiah but with the same gameplay, so it's kinda been gently forgiven, now Thief comes and does the same thing, now some will play it like fans of the series and maybe other bored people who got nothing new to play; Me personally hate copy paste games so I'm gonna pass on this one.

#15 Edited by --Anna-- (4489 posts) -

Please at least wait until the game comes out...before you start hating a game.

#16 Edited by biggest_loser (23981 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07: Thief is just about my all time favourite series. If you want to start playing stealth this is the game because to me nothing has topped Thief yet. I have my doubts that anything ever will.

Its a challenging series but for a newcomer its actually quite simple to learn: stick to the shadows, watch guards and don't make a noise. That's all you need to do.

The beauty of Thief is that it has one core component, sneaking, and it perfects it. Modern games tend to throw everything into the mix and hope that it all sticks.

I'm interested to know what you think of it. Aside from the graphics, I don't see what's dated about it.

#17 Edited by Qixote (10648 posts) -

What's the original like? Like a dream. Seriously, from the moment the tutorial starts, and then on to the bear pits conversation in beginning of the first mission, you feel like you have been whisked away from reality into a mysterious world. Although back in 1998 it likely had a bigger impression, since that type of game was entirely unique back then. But as dated as the graphics are, make no mistake the sound is still top grade material by today's standards. Sound was the primary element in the game.

#18 Posted by MrYaotubo (2507 posts) -

Have you even seen the new Thief gameplay? the old ones got third person camera while the new one is in 1st person with game mechanics on Dishonored and Dark Messiah.

The old ones have third person camera? You sure you actually played them? Because the only one with 3rd person camera was the fairly disapointing Deadly Shadows,the third game,the first two classics have no 3rd person whatsoever.

#19 Posted by BSC14 (3531 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

The old ones have third person camera? You sure you actually played them? Because the only one with 3rd person camera was the fairly disapointing Deadly Shadows,the third game,the first two classics have no 3rd person whatsoever.

Yep, I was just going to let it go but yeah if anything games like Dishonored took from Thief.

#20 Posted by MirkoS77 (6863 posts) -

Download TheDarkmod. It's basically Thief remade in Doom 3's engine, and it's free. It's good. Thief, as good as it is, has aged pretty poorly. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

#21 Posted by PredatorRules (7061 posts) -
@BSC14 said:

@MrYaotubo said:

@PredatorRules said:

Yep, I was just going to let it go but yeah if anything games like Dishonored took from Thief.

Ooops my bad, I do remember playing Deadly Shadows, forgot about the two before that.

#22 Posted by Gamerno66666 (161 posts) -

play thief 2. It is the master of stealth games.

#23 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22107 posts) -

the character movement is kinda weird really. If I click a,s,d on the keyboard, garrett(sp?) doesn't strafe left or right or even move backwards.

I downloaded the darkmod and the texture pack and it doesn't seem to do anything with graphics. I'll try it it again, but the the graphics look actually pretty good for a 10+ year old game. Its the character models that look awful though.

This game is all about sound from what I hear, does a pair of headphones help you pick up things easily?

@PredatorRules

is dark messiah good? Its very cheap these days and I want to see whats it like.

#24 Posted by MirkoS77 (6863 posts) -

the character movement is kinda weird really. If I click a,s,d on the keyboard, garrett(sp?) doesn't strafe left or right or even move backwards.

I downloaded the darkmod and the texture pack and it doesn't seem to do anything with graphics. I'll try it it again, but the the graphics look actually pretty good for a 10+ year old game. Its the character models that look awful though.

This game is all about sound from what I hear, does a pair of headphones help you pick up things easily?

@PredatorRules

is dark messiah good? Its very cheap these days and I want to see whats it like.

Darkmod is now standalone. It does a ton with graphics.

#25 Edited by biggest_loser (23981 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Download TheDarkmod. It's basically Thief remade in Doom 3's engine, and it's free. It's good. Thief, as good as it is, has aged pretty poorly. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Other than the graphics, what's aged poorly?

#26 Posted by MirkoS77 (6863 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Other than the graphics, what's aged poorly?

I meant to say the graphics mostly, though I never really thought the AI was anything special but admittedly it's been a while since I've played them.

#27 Edited by the_bi99man (11028 posts) -

I thought Dark Messiah was actually pretty decent. The story is cliche at best and crap at worst, and the campaign isn't all that long, but the fighting is a ton of fun. The RPG mechanics are a bit half-assed, but it's definitely supposed to be an action game. At the prices that it's at these days, I'd definitely say grab it.

Back in the day, when it was new, the multiplayer was by far the best part. Some of the most fun I've ever had multiplayer. It was pretty much Chivalry, but with mages in the mix. Even had the kickass MP campaign mode, where two teams would push each other back and forth over several stages, trying to get to the enemy's fortress and kill them there. The mp seemed to pretty much die off after a year or so. Too bad. If anyone knows if there's maybe any people playing it now, I'd totally reinstall that shit.