Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

My mom wants to buy gaming desktop to play sims 3 and 4 along along with minecraft. She wants to play with settings maxed out on a 60 inch hdtv. I know nothing of computers and do not want to build one or deal with online stores. I've looked at the desktop gaming section on the website and see them from 500 to 1200 dollars. Not sure what one to get, if someone could help me out and link the one I should buy with a little details why that would really help me out, thx.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Probably the most expensive way to buy one... But too each there own. Also no one here knows where you live. So no one can help you.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Best buy isnt the place to get a capable gaming PC, not for a reasonable price anyway.

Going online is your best bet.

I would post an example but its on hard on my mobile, im sure someone else will soon.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Don't buy one from bestbuy

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@thehig1: same here my Sony Xperia can't type worth shit.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

you could order these parts, once they all arrive take it to a PC shop and ask them to build it for you, its about an hours work for them at most a decent PC shop wont charge that much.

That comes to a total of $612, then add on potential cost for someone to build it for you if you don't fancy doing it yourself.

That will max out Sims 3 and 4 and minecraft.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

I will agree with everyone else, stay away from this shop.

If you insist no matter what, the only "gaming" PC I found below $1000 at Bestbuy with somewhat good speccs is this $849 (i5 4590+8GB+R9 270X).

But in the end you should buy it from somewhere else and keep these $200 to your pocket...

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

If you want to buy a gaming pc and not have to go through the process of putting parts together yourself, you can try

websites like ibuypower or cyberpower.

Whatever you do, don't buy a "gaming" pc from popular brick & Mortar retail unless you're okay spending a lot of money for an underpowered computer.

Edit: if you're still adverse to online stores, try to look for a microcenter near you. if you find one, you can buy their pre-built computers there or, if you feel you want to save some money and decide to build it yourself, then buy the parts from them (they tend to price match sites like newegg if you do that, sometimes they may even match amazon but this depends on the store manager)

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Get her a mac mini or something like it in terms of design. If your mom only play's sims/minecraft, and wants to plug it to her tv; than the mini would be the best option imo. Would look fine next to the tv unlike a regular desktop that isn't a htpc.

edit: Or maybe buy a htpc that has a better gpu. Doesn't look like the apple mini graphics could even able to handle the sims/ minecraft at the highest settings.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@TheShadowLord07 said:

Get her a mac mini or something like it in terms of design. If your mom only play's sims/minecraft, and wants to plug it to her tv; than the mini would be the best option imo. Would look fine next to the tv unlike a regular desktop that isn't a htpc.

edit: Or maybe buy a htpc that has a better gpu. Doesn't look like the apple mini graphics could even able to handle the sims/ minecraft at the highest settings.

You can get both small cases and/or good looking ones for normal computers as well.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

As others have said, best buy is a horrible place to buy a prebuilt PC. I took a brief look and not only are their "gaming" desktops woefully underpowered for the price, they're barely more powerful or even weaker than some equivalently priced laptopsyou can buy online.

Wherever you do decide to buy one though, a few things to keep in mind for the Sims (3 especially):

- they're heavily CPU bound but not multithreaded (so anything more than an i5 will see little benefit, but the higher that i5 is clocked the better)

- the gpu isn't that important for these titles (so something like a gtx 750 ti or r7 260x would be fine)

- Sims 3 greatly benefits from being installed on an SSD. In fact I'd put an SSD big enough for both games to be installed as a higher priority than the GPU. Sims 3 is over 30gb with all major expansions and saves included, Sims 4 is still growing in size via expansions, keep that in mind if wanting enough space to fit on one SSD drive.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

Get her an XBox. Problem solved.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

If you don't want to put one together then order one (ibuypower). But all pre-builts are way overpriced.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

If you are looking for a pretty good pre-built.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229620&cm_re=5820k-_-83-229-620-_-Product

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

if im not mistaken newegg will put them together wont they if you asl them (costs extra ofcourse.)

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#17 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

you'll probably have to go to another store other then Bestbuy, they are famous for selling "gaming" pcs with shitty graphics cards.