Whatever happened to GTA V on the PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

Alright, this has been discussed innumerable number of time in the past, but all the hue and cry seems to have died down now. The petition to bring the game to PC got a record number of signatures, people found PC related configuration information on the game's console files, Intel and some other high profile companies mentioned that the game won't be console exclusive for long etc. But all that was too long ago. Right now, the console gamers are bashing and ridiculing PC gamers left and right on the Destiny topic related to PC, and some of them are actually saying that Rockstar has announced there won't ever be a PC version of GTA V (although none of them stated any sources I don't find such info anywhere on the internet).

I'm not really a die hard fan of the GTA games, but I still own all GTA games on the PC because I find them entertaining. So I'd just like to know what really is going on with this game with respect to the PC, because all the excitement/hope has completely died down and PC gamers seem to have accepted the fact that it probably won't arrive on the PC. So what do you people feel about this?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

just give it time..PC gamers had to wait awhile for GTA4

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

That's why I don't give a s*** about Rockstar anymore. I'm more interested in Watch Dogs and The Division anyway. No PC gamer should buy GTA5 at release, only on sale down the track. Send them a message.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By funkyzoom

@lawlessx said:

I know, but the wait for the PC version of GTA IV (or any previous GTA games) wasn't this long, so I'm seriously beginning to doubt if they have scrapped the PC version.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By funkyzoom
@FelipeInside said:

That's why I don't give a s*** about Rockstar anymore. I'm more interested in Watch Dogs and The Division anyway. No PC gamer should buy GTA5 at release, only on sale down the track. Send them a message.

Yeah, agree with you. We PC gamers are sick and tired of being treated as second class citizens. I too am really looking forward to Watch Dogs, but I'm not so sure about The Division because I always prefer any multi-player focused game to have a single player campaign as well (even though it may not be that good).

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

... a message that no one will purchase their games so they will stop releasing them?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@funkyzoom said:

Alright, this has been discussed innumerable number of time in the past, but all the hue and cry seems to have died down now. The petition to bring the game to PC got a record number of signatures, people found PC related configuration information on the game's console files, Intel and some other high profile companies mentioned that the game won't be console exclusive for long etc. But all that was too long ago. Right now, the console gamers are bashing and ridiculing PC gamers left and right on the Destiny topic related to PC, and some of them are actually saying that Rockstar has announced there won't ever be a PC version of GTA V (although none of them stated any sources I don't find such info anywhere on the internet).

I'm not really a die hard fan of the GTA games, but I still own all GTA games on the PC because I find them entertaining. So I'd just like to know what really is going on with this game with respect to the PC, because all the excitement/hope has completely died down and PC gamers seem to have accepted the fact that it probably won't arrive on the PC. So what do you people feel about this?

there are better thing than gta in this world but if you really dying to play it you can always play it in the low res lagfest console version.

It will probably release together with ps4 and x1 version. That it takes this long is a good thing, that means it will make good use of the pc hardware. It took 8 months to release san andreas on the pc as well. It was also vastly superior.

I think you can expect the same thing this time. I was kinda surprised they still released gta V for the x360/ps3 last year. The x360 was already 8 years old at the time of release.

Have patience , it will come, it always does.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

If you want to play GTA just buy a console, I've played on my friends Xbox 360 and it was pretty sweet.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

its kinda the same way with halo. Halo on pc then halo 2 then nothing. I mean if it really bother me ill play them on the console but i mean really? two games and then nothing. Yea with gta 5 i researched the same thing Its really weird that it was for the 360 when the new consoles were here.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Piracy happened.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

They're currently working on the next-gen versions. Once those are finished, you can expect the PC version to follow. You want them to use next-gen assets, right?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FelipeInside

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

... a message that no one will purchase their games so they will stop releasing them?

... a message that if they want to treat PC gamers as a quick cash-grab afterthought... then we will buy their products on sale for dirt cheap as an afterthought and treat other companies which actually release a PC version simultaneously (or close to) more important than them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

I really hope they release it soon... I don't want the console version... Heck I'll even accept a piss poor port like GTAIV was...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside

@horgen said:

I really hope they release it soon... I don't want the console version... Heck I'll even accept a piss poor port like GTAIV was...

I won't and neither should you.

Companies should have standards releasing a product, and us as customers should have standards buying them. An awful port that took nearly a year to be released like that is disgraceful.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

... a message that if they want to treat PC gamers as a quick cash-grab afterthought... then we will buy their products on sale for dirt cheap as an afterthought and treat other companies which actually release a PC version simultaneously (or close to) more important than them.

I don't think that's how the message will come across, money talks. If not enough PC gamers buy it at launch they'll definitely stop supporting the PC completely, they already hate us as it is all they need is one more excuse.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FelipeInside

@BattleSpectre said:

@FelipeInside said:

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

I don't think that's how the message will come across, money talks. If not enough PC gamers buy it at launch they'll definitely stop supporting the PC completely, they already hate us as it is all they need is one more excuse.

They are basically already doing that now and before, to the platform they started on and which made them famous, sad...

And if they need one more excuse then go ahead, stop releasing GTA for PC altogether, we won't miss it and I prefer to support companies that at least give a s*** about PC gaming.

The saddest part is that Rockstar treats PC gaming as an afterthought, as scrap... but PC gamers hold them up as this great company. People need a reality check.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@horgen said:

Heck I'll even accept a piss poor port like GTAIV was...

No...just please don't...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@horgen said:

Companies should have standards releasing a product, and us as customers should have standards buying them. An awful port that took nearly a year to be released like that is disgraceful.

Well yes, but I really hoped to avoid playing it on console. If it isn't released I'll most likely not play it.

One thing I should mention. I didn't play the PC version of GTAIV before years later. I didn't have a top-end computer when it was released and experienced trouble running it decently at minimum settings. I guess I would look at it differently if I had experienced that.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@BattleSpectre said:

@FelipeInside said:

@lostrib said:

@FelipeInside said:

They are basically already doing that now and before, to the platform they started on and which made them famous, sad...

And if they need one more excuse then go ahead, stop releasing GTA for PC altogether, we won't miss it and I prefer to support companies that at least give a s*** about PC gaming.

The saddest part is that Rockstar treats PC gaming as an afterthought, as scrap... but PC gamers hold them up as this great company. People need a reality check.

Amen to that. I guess if they don't care about us anymore, **** em. PC gaming has grown bigger than ever we have plenty of other developers who treat us right.

Although on the other hand I have already played and finished GTA V on my PS3, I recommend anyone here who owns a console to play this game. Besides The Last of Us, GTA V was one of my favourite games last year. It's the biggest and boldest GTA yet.

I really can't fault this game, and think it's a shame if you all skip it just because Rockstar are assholes. If you have a console, or even access to one PLAY GTA V. That's all I'm going to say.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

@horgen said:

@FelipeInside said:

@horgen said:

I guess I would look at it differently if I had experienced that.

Yes definitely, it's probably the second worst PC port ever released in my lifetime (first prize goes to Splinter Cell Double Agent). It still has issues to this day on some configurations. If they take a year to port something, it better be flawless.

@BattleSpectre said:

I really can't fault this game, and think it's a shame if you all skip it just because Rockstar are assholes

I'm not saying skip it entirely, just don't buy it launch or on consoles. Get it dirt cheap when it's in the bargain bin.

GeezLoiuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GeezLoiuse
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@lawlessx said:

I'm prepared to wait for this one :)

I read somewhere that there was possibly going to be an announcement in the next few months at a gaming convention?

Can't be too far away now.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator

I hope Blacklist is a better port... I have that game, though unplayed.

@FelipeInside said:

Yes definitely, it's probably the second worst PC port ever released in my lifetime (first prize goes to Splinter Cell Double Agent). It still has issues to this day on some configurations. If they take a year to port something, it better be flawless.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FelipeInside

@horgen said:

Blacklist was fine for me, but some people had issues with it. Make sure it's patched up fully before playing. Nowhere near as bad as Double Agent though, that game had key missing cut-scenes even.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horgen  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

@horgen said:

Blacklist was fine for me, but some people had issues with it. Make sure it's patched up fully before playing. Nowhere near as bad as Double Agent though, that game had key missing cut-scenes even.

Somewhat assuring at least... Patching it now.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Its coming soon I would suppose.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

What he said times 10

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

I think the reason Rockstar isn't eager to release their games on PC is because of piracy. If they were to release a game on PC the best thing you could do is actually pay for it. Refusing to purchase it will just make us look worse and they will throw in the towel....then say goodbye to Rockstar games for good.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FelipeInside

@intotheminx said:

@FelipeInside said:

I think the reason Rockstar isn't eager to release their games on PC is because of piracy.

Most BS excuse devs have used for years. GTA4 got pirated heaps on consoles.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Does everyone who makes these threads have amnesia? Go look at the gap between each GTA release since freaking 2001 with GTA III and you'll see that GTA V isn't late at all

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Does everyone who makes these threads have amnesia? Go look at the gap between each GTA release since freaking 2001 with GTA III and you'll see that GTA V isn't late at all

Its not late but it is taking longer then any previous GTA title which is why everyone is in a panic

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wis3boi

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

@wis3boi said:

Its not late but it is taking longer then any previous GTA title which is why everyone is in a panic

San Andreas:

PlayStation 2

26 October 2004

PC

7 June 2005

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

@wis3boi: Okay, but at least San Andreas was announced for PC 2 months after it was released for PS2. Not a single word for GTA V on PC and its been 7 months.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy said:

@wis3boi: Okay, but at least San Andreas was announced for PC 2 months after it was released for PS2. Not a single word for GTA V on PC and its been 7 months.

They are obviously going to announce it together with the PS4 and Xbone versions.... but honestly, no PC gamer should really care.

Avatar image for cardboardgundam
CardboardGundam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CardboardGundam

It'll come over eventually. And if it doesn't, oh well?

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#36 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Either someone is paying them to keep it off PC, or the PC version of GTA4 didn't sell well enough.

Or maybe they're just morons.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#37 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

People are still waiting for this dud when Watch Dogs is upon us?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

Well the thing is, I had tons of fun with every GTA game. I love to explore and they really know how to make the game world detailed and alive, and there's a wide variety in missions and things to do. While Watch Dogs seems great, I have a feeling it'll be like the last few AC games; boring world and extremely repetitive. Hopefully I'm wrong..

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I honestly don't think you are missing much. It's basically GTA San Andreas, with much less territory, three annoying playable characters, and updated graphics. Some of the missions are copied from previous GTA games. Shooting while driving still blows. It's fun, but still a tad bit overrated.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#40  Edited By mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Enjoyed it on the PS3 but I will definitely get it on PC down the line when it goes on sale, just imagine the mods you'd have for it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FelipeInside

@harry_james_pot said:

@biggest_loser said:

Well the thing is, I had tons of fun with every GTA game. I love to explore and they really know how to make the game world detailed and alive, and there's a wide variety in missions and things to do. While Watch Dogs seems great, I have a feeling it'll be like the last few AC games; boring world and extremely repetitive. Hopefully I'm wrong..

Except that GTA4 lacked in all these parts after what San Andreas and Vice City offered, it was also the most repetitive GTA I have ever played.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@biggest_loser said:

Except that GTA4 lacked in all these parts after what San Andreas and Vice City offered, it was also the most repetitive GTA I have ever played.

Well I don't exactly remember what most of the missions in GTA IV were, but for some reason I enjoyed that game a lot more than San Andreas. I even played through the whole story twice.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside

@harry_james_pot said:

@FelipeInside said:

@harry_james_pot said:

Well I don't exactly remember what most of the missions in GTA IV were, but for some reason I enjoyed that game a lot more than San Andreas. I even played through the whole story twice.

Wasn't a bad game, I quite enjoyed it as well... after I got it to at least a "playable" state because of the awful port. It's just that it offered a lot less than what San Andreas and Vice City (still my favourite) did, and the missions were mostly fetch quests like an MMO. I think they spent more time on the actual engine and forgot to dedicate enough time to the story and gameplay.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#44 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

This ^^

On other hand , they won't bring GTA V on PC until there is enough userbase for PS4 and X1 . Then they'll release it on X1 and PS4 along with PC , they don't trust PC community to give them game before releasing it on new consoles .

Rather play games like Witcher 3 , Watch Dogs , Star Citizen and other games from PC developers than overrated games from R* . They even screwed Max Payne series.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Gotta wait for the inevitable XBONE and PS4 release before PC even makes its appearance IMO.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@wis3boi said:

Fucking thank you.

Seriously guys, get your panties unbunched. It hasn't even been as long since console release as it was between console and PC releases of the the previous games. And if they actually are making versions for the X1 and PS4, then I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they hold back on the PC version until then, making it take a little longer even than it did with the previous games. If there's still no word (on either PC or next-gen console versions) in another two or three months, then it might be time to get suspicious.

@Qixote said:

It's basically GTA San Andreas, with much less territory,

Less territory? Did they lie about it being larger than San Andreas, GTA4 and RDR combined, or are you talking out of your ass?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wis3boi

@the_bi99man said:

@wis3boi said:

Fucking thank you.

Seriously guys, get your panties unbunched. It hasn't even been as long since console release as it was between console and PC releases of the the previous games. And if they actually are making versions for the X1 and PS4, then I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they hold back on the PC version until then, making it take a little longer even than it did with the previous games. If there's still no word (on either PC or next-gen console versions) in another two or three months, then it might be time to get suspicious.

@Qixote said:

It's basically GTA San Andreas, with much less territory,

Less territory? Did they lie about it being larger than San Andreas, GTA4 and RDR combined, or are you talking out of your ass?

even GTA 4 dwarfs san andreas by map size

GeezLoiuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GeezLoiuse

@Cwagmire21:

I think this is the hold up. Basically they can re release the games on the next gen consoles and PC and market it all over again.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 horgen  Moderator

@FelipeInside said:

Wasn't a bad game, I quite enjoyed it as well... after I got it to at least a "playable" state because of the awful port. It's just that it offered a lot less than what San Andreas and Vice City (still my favourite) did, and the missions were mostly fetch quests like an MMO. I think they spent more time on the actual engine and forgot to dedicate enough time to the story and gameplay.

Vice City rocks!