What specs would be needed for next gen PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ziggyww (907 posts) -

I was saving up for a PS4 and got around £600 atm with me just putting £100 away each month for it but it doesn't come out for another 6 months maybe even more so I was thinking if I keep on saving that would give me £1200+ and thought what kind of desktop could that get me. I like the sound of PC gaming but only if I have a PC that can play any game easily and with next gen games set to come out im not sure what to do. Should I keep saving and wait until the next gen of cards come out or should I be fine with a hd7970 and 16gb of ram etc

#2 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9434 posts) -

I would keep saving. Get a PS4 and then... Wait for next gen cards and CPU's if you still want a PC.

Then you would be more future proofed and have a console. :)

#3 Posted by ziggyww (907 posts) -

I was hoping to get one or the other really until a couple of years later down the line, when I would pick up a PS4 for the exclusive games that it will have.

My thinking on it is that the current range of graphics cards are clearly powerful but are they focused to play current gen games really really well with a few extra bells and whistle compared to the consoles versions but could struggle when next gen games truly enter the market. I don't know everything about the hardware though and I'm unsure how a 7970 would handle the transition of playing current gen games on ultra to next gen games, could it still handle them on ultra, I also don't want to invest money in to a rig now if I would need one of the new wave of GPU's to play my games on ultra. 

I think if I get a PC its going to be bes to wait till the new wave of GPU's first and pick one of them up and if the current range is fine still then I should be able to pick one up cheaper aswell but I will get a PS4 when it's released if something comes up in which I need some emergancy funds for whatever reason and don't fnd myself having the money to get the kind of rig I want.

Also If the PS4 plays BF4 like I have just watched in the 17mins gameplay footage and is cheaper then a gaming rig I would be lying if I wasn't tempted to just get a PS4 and leave it at that. I think it will come down to me seeing how next gen games are going to look on the PS4 compared to the PC if there is a big gap then I think I will stick with the PC either way. 

Also with both the next gen consoles being AMD and the BF4 gameplay was running of AMD hardware is it possiable that this means the AMD desktops will have the better opitmization over their Nvidia counterparts? I have always liked AMD over Nvidia however I do think Nvidia builds better chips but AMD gives you a decent amount of power to play everything on ultra but also so much cheaper then what Nvidia will give you who from my own research seems to be charging you an extra £50 for every frame extra then the AMD version. 

The kind of desktop I was thinking of getting was something like this 

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-337-OE&groupid=43&catid=2475

I do have a freind that works with networks and knows how to build a desktop so I could probs get a similar set up maybe cheaper or a better one then this but how far in to next gen would a rig like this last. I think its impressive now but what about BF4 would it play that at the same level we saw in the video with smooth frames?

#4 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9434 posts) -

Well AMD and Nvidia trade blows. I would wait till next years GPU's are out before buying an expensive card. Or you could just get a 7970 and then sell it when you do finally get a next gen card.

#5 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -
No harm in waiting for the next generation of CPUs and GPUs (think they're coming late this year or early next), if you're not in a rush. The Battlefield 4 demo was reportedly run on a 7990, which is much faster than whatever the next gen system will have.
#6 Posted by ziggyww (907 posts) -

I think thats what I might end up doing. besides I got loads of games to carry on playing on the ps and xbox still so. Another question what do you think of the amd fx 8 core? I have been looking at it and it seems the i5 still gives better results but nothing yet really using the 8 cores. Do you know of any PC games that are being built around their 8 core design to take use of them. If not doesnt it make the 8 cores more or less for cores but I really like the look of it as a future purchase but only if its going to be taken advantage of

#7 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -

I think thats what I might end up doing. besides I got loads of games to carry on playing on the ps and xbox still so. Another question what do you think of the amd fx 8 core? I have been looking at it and it seems the i5 still gives better results but nothing yet really using the 8 cores. Do you know of any PC games that are being built around their 8 core design to take use of them. If not doesnt it make the 8 cores more or less for cores but I really like the look of it as a future purchase but only if its going to be taken advantage of

ziggyww
AMD's eight core CPUs have more potential processing power than an i5. However, the per core performance (or single threaded performance) is better on Intel's recent CPUs. For a game to run better on an AMD octo core, it must be able to efficiently utilize more than four cores, which very few games currently do. We know the PS4 will have an eight core CPU, so hopefully future PC ports will run better with more cores. This leaves anyone currently looking into a new gaming PC with a bit of an annoying decision to make; do you want an Intel quad core so you get better performance in current games or an AMD eight core so you hopefully get better performance in future games. Of course, you could grab an Intel 6 core and get the best of both worlds, but you'll have to be prepared to drop $500+ just on the CPU alone. I'm hoping Intel and AMD can both release fast eight core CPUs early in the next console generation.
#8 Posted by Elann2008 (33028 posts) -
[QUOTE="ziggyww"]

C_Rule
AMD's eight core CPUs have more potential processing power than an i5. However, the per core performance (or single threaded performance) is better on Intel's recent CPUs. For a game to run better on an AMD octo core, it must be able to efficiently utilize more than four cores, which very few games currently do. We know the PS4 will have an eight core CPU, so hopefully future PC ports will run better with more cores. This leaves anyone currently looking into a new gaming PC with a bit of an annoying decision to make; do you want an Intel quad core so you get better performance in current games or an AMD eight core so you hopefully get better performance in future games. Of course, you could grab an Intel 6 core and get the best of both worlds, but you'll have to be prepared to drop $500+ just on the CPU alone. I'm hoping Intel and AMD can both release fast eight core CPUs early in the next console generation.

This. We saw how well Crysis 3 ran on an AMD 8-core CPU. The future is hopeful when next-gen consoles come out. Like C-Rule said, it's a bit of an annoying decision if you are building a PC now.
#9 Posted by NailedGR (997 posts) -

[QUOTE="ziggyww"]

C_Rule

all of that implies that:

1) I do not get good gaming performance on my 8350

2) That with the older games which are mostly single threaded, you can tell the difference between 150 fps and 200 fps

3) The 8350 isn't a monster in everything outside of gaming

all 3 of these things are wrong

#10 Posted by 04dcarraher (20403 posts) -
The next gen console cpu processing power wise will at best be around a Phenom 2 x4 at 2.8 ghz . the Jaguar based cpu being used is only about 15% faster clock per clock against AMD's bobcat. Now an Athlon 2 x2 at 1.6 ghz was about 50% faster then a AMD bobcat dualcore at 1.6ghz.. And these console based cpu's will only be be or under 2 ghz so there isnt alot of processing power behind them to compete against modern quad core cpu's. Now as for memory having 8gb will be plenty, since the GDDR5 bandwidth in the PS4 wont mean squat for cpu workloads. As for the gpu's the PS4 will have the strongest gpu between the two and its between a 7850 and 7970 performance wise and they will not allocate more then 4gb for video for various reasons. And if they allocate CU's for gpgpu functions the gpu performance in games will drop depending on usage. 2 CU usage would drop the gpu's performance below a 7850.
#11 Posted by mastershake575 (8364 posts) -

I wouldn't go lower than an overclocked i5 (most get 4ghz+) or lower than a 7950 GPU if you had to build now

#12 Posted by General_X (9085 posts) -
A comp with a good CPU and 7790 or 650ti Boost would be good to hold you over until both consoles are released then you can upgrade to a card that will blow them both out of the water.
#13 Posted by kraken2109 (13204 posts) -

[QUOTE="C_Rule"][QUOTE="ziggyww"]

NailedGR

all of that implies that:

1) I do not get good gaming performance on my 8350

2) That with the older games which are mostly single threaded, you can tell the difference between 150 fps and 200 fps

3) The 8350 isn't a monster in everything outside of gaming

all 3 of these things are wrong

Sadly plenty of recent games aren't well threaded so single threaded performance still matters. For example, I get low fps when zooming in on lots of units in Empire Total War (2009 game, i hear newer total war games are similar) because it won't use my CPU properly. 8350 doesn't have much better single threaded performance than phenom II. 8350 isn't actually good value, 6300 is way cheaper and performs similarly in a lot of cases. For a bit more money than the 8350 you can get 3570k. I'm not a fanboy of either company, I'm happy with my AMD but if i was building now i'd go intel. 8350 isn't a bad CPU, it's just priced badly.