what shooud i pick "nvidia gtx" or "amd" for videocard?

#1 Edited by GameBandit8 (60 posts) -

what should i pick "nvidia gtx" or "amd" for videocard? what performs better and cost less? what performs the same and cost less? I have plans to upgrade my videocard. give me recommendation on what to upgrade to, right now I have a xfx 6870. what can make you videocard produce less heat, does a better one means less heat? I want to be able to play battlefield 4 at least on "high" settings 35+ fps minimum.

#2 Edited by FelipeInside (25036 posts) -

@gamebandit8 said:

what should i pick "nvidia gtx" or "amd" for videocard? what performs better and cost less? what performs the same and cost less? I have plans to upgrade my videocard. give me recommendation on what to upgrade to, right now I have a xfx 6870. what can make you videocard produce less heat, does a better one means less heat? I want to be able to play battlefield 4 at least on "high" settings 35+ fps minimum.

It's a tricky one.

Normally AMD will perform the same as Nvidia but cost a bit less (depending on model). Thing is NVIDIA cards mostly perform better overall in the bug department since most games are optimized for NVIDIA, and some games even have extra features only for NVIDIA cards (like PhysX).

As for heat, just get one with good cooling. There are water cooled video cards but I normally just get the Gigabyte NVIDIA Cards with 3 fans on them, they are pretty quiet and don't heat up too much.

#3 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10525 posts) -

Stop looking into brands and give us a budget.

Then we can choose the best card for that budget, with your requirements.

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (7053 posts) -

GTX760 or R9 280

#5 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

I personally like Nvidia. They seem to offer the best cards though they can be a bit more expensive compared to AMD.

#6 Edited by GameBandit8 (60 posts) -

how much fps can i get with a Nvidia GTX 470 on ultra battlefield 4? how much fps radeon hd 6870 battlefield 4 ultra?

#7 Edited by PredatorRules (7053 posts) -

how much fps can i get with a Nvidia GTX 470 on ultra battlefield 4? how much fps radeon hd 6870 battlefield 4 ultra?

ultra? give me a break

You won't be playing ultra with 780 so you might want to downscale the settings just a little bit lower =)

medium at most with those GPUs.

#8 Edited by harry_james_pot (10135 posts) -

@gamebandit8 said:

ultra? give me a break

You won't be playing ultra with 780 so you might want to downscale the settings just a little bit lower =)

lol, what?

#9 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

I personally prefer Nvidia since the brand works best in games due to better optimisation and drivers, Nvidia is also good at battling bugs too.

However, Nvidia GPUs have higher prices. Worth paying for in my opinion. You get what you pay for.

#10 Posted by 04dcarraher (18961 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@gamebandit8 said:

ultra? give me a break

lol, what?

yeah, GTX 760 at 1080 plays it at ultra just fine(no AA)

#11 Posted by Postmortem123 (7567 posts) -

A 290 will play BF4 at above 90fps so would be a good choice.

#12 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (435 posts) -

A r9 280x or gtx 770 4gb is what you want for ultra 60fps at 1080p.

#13 Edited by thehig1 (836 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@gamebandit8 said:

ultra? give me a break

I take it your talking about the 470 or the AMD 680, as the 780 is more than enough for Battlefield 4 at ultra

#14 Edited by jer_1 (7402 posts) -

I typically would have said Nvidia but I picked up some r9 290's and r9 280x's several months ago and both versions are excellent cards. They actually surprised me with how well they perform. The price and performance is right on that 280x.

#15 Posted by PredatorRules (7053 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@gamebandit8 said:

ultra? give me a break

I take it your talking about the 470 or the AMD 680, as the 780 is more than enough for Battlefield 4 at ultra

Yes, I'm talking about those GPUs, to play BF4 on ultra I'd recommend something equal to 270X or above.

#16 Edited by Ballroompirate (21657 posts) -

Can't really comment on AMD since I've never owned one of their cards, but I do love the crap out of NVIDIA cards.

#17 Edited by insane_metalist (5862 posts) -

I own 2 GTX 780 TIs & 1 R9 290.

My Nvidia cards run WAY COOLER! No matter what I tried my AMD GPU runs super hot no matter what (only other option is to watercool it).

Nvidia costs more but it's worth it IMO.

Although, R9 290 is a good GPU and you can find it for really cheap ATM. That's really up to you.

If you want to play BF4 on High, go for (at least) GTX 770 / GTX 780 or R9 280X / R9 290.

#18 Posted by groowagon (2739 posts) -

you also need a good CPU for solid framerates in BF4. i had old Phenom quadcore and 460 GTX and i had to play with low-mid settings. after upgrading to 4670K with the same card i was able to play high-mid.

#19 Edited by Postmortem123 (7567 posts) -

you also need a good CPU for solid framerates in BF4. i had old Phenom quadcore and 460 GTX and i had to play with low-mid settings. after upgrading to 4670K with the same card i was able to play high-mid.

Yeah in DX11 CPU is important. Mantle does solve that though.

#20 Edited by pelvist (4466 posts) -

Nothing really against AMD but I always go with Nvidia because Iv never been disappointed by their hardware or software. The last Radeon/AMD card I bought for myself was a Radeon 9600 Pro, I got fed up of instalation issues with one or two of the drivers on WinXP and went back to Nvidia. Things are very different now I know, I just havent had any reason to switch back to red.

#21 Edited by GameBandit8 (60 posts) -

i have amd fx 8350 8 core lol is that good enough?

#22 Posted by groowagon (2739 posts) -

@groowagon said:

i have amd fx 8350 8 core lol is that good enough?

yes, that's good enough.

#23 Posted by adamosmaki (9354 posts) -

Both brands nowdays offer great products in most price segments. Give us a budget and give us your pc specs ( more important what power supply and what cpu you have ) and then we can recommend you something . You want something that is decently faster than 6870 for as cheap as you can go? then Amd r9265 or 270 are your options. You want something mid-range that offers great bang for your buck? then nvidia gtx 760 or Amd r9 280 are both great options.

#24 Edited by Daious (869 posts) -

@gamebandit8:

R9 280

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099

for 200 dollars is a win

#25 Edited by melonfarmerz (1012 posts) -

Wait since most of you guys are American, do you guys also pay crazy high prices for Radeon cards? I don't know if it's the bitcoin minning inflation or just the fact that I'm in Canada but AMD equivalents of Nvidia cards here are like 50-100 more...

#26 Edited by blaznwiipspman1 (6028 posts) -

ignore everyone here who said nvidia. They have never owned a radeon card before and are like the apple sheep who buy iphones/ipads blindly because they think they're getting a better product. Fortunately thats not the case. AMD makes great cards, have good drivers (not amazing but GOOD, so take that as you want), most of the time have the best bang for buck, and cooling isn't an issue (not for nvidia either).

#27 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7230 posts) -

Wait since most of you guys are American, do you guys also pay crazy high prices for Radeon cards? I don't know if it's the bitcoin minning inflation or just the fact that I'm in Canada but AMD equivalents of Nvidia cards here are like 50-100 more...

Some are still up there, but some the cards have already fallen back to msrp or lower. Ex. Gigabyte has their 290(x) $20 below.

#28 Posted by GameBandit8 (60 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

Some are still up there, but some the cards have already fallen back to msrp or lower. Ex. Gigabyte has their 290(x) $20 below.

really 290 $20 PM me link to buying site please.

#29 Edited by Bikouchu35 (7230 posts) -

@Bikouchu35 said:

@melonfarmerz said:

really 290 $20 PM me link to buying site please.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125505&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

http://gpuscanner.com/#amd-r9-290 <used options.

#30 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16057 posts) -

It's a tricky one.

Normally AMD will perform the same as Nvidia but cost a bit less (depending on model). Thing is NVIDIA cards mostly perform better overall in the bug department since most games are optimized for NVIDIA, and some games even have extra features only for NVIDIA cards (like PhysX).

As for heat, just get one with good cooling. There are water cooled video cards but I normally just get the Gigabyte NVIDIA Cards with 3 fans on them, they are pretty quiet and don't heat up too much.

I disagree that most games are optimized for Nvidia. At least not the games I play.

I'd say it's pretty 50/50. Some games are more optimized for AMD, while others are more optimized for Nvidia.

I tend to go for the graphics card that offers the best performance for the money. And usually that's AMD. I miss out on Physx, sure, but that's not that big of a deal.