What PC Game Should I Buy From Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I'm looking for a new game to purchase. I currently have the following games:

• BF:BC2
  • Crysis & Crysis Warhead
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Grand Theft Auto IV
  • Far Cry 2
  • Batman: Arkham Asylum

As you can see, I like action oriented games. However, I'd like to try something different. I've been thinking of trying out an RPG game, like Mass Effect. However, based on videos I've seen and the demo I've played, it seems like just another action game, but with RPG elements. I'd like to try something with a moving and emotionally charged story and memorable gameplay. I would also prefer if it to have quality graphics. What do you guys have in mind?

EDIT:

Hey everyone, I decided to purchase Mass Effect. I'm downloading it right now from Steam. I know I said that it seems like just another action game, but after considering the other RPGs you guys recommended, I came to realize that mainstream RPGs would be too drastic of a change for me to take on so soon. Mass Effect seems like the type of game that would facilitate thegradualtransition from standard action games to RPGs. It's different from the type of games I normally play, but not too different. Perhaps when I'm done with it, I'll try out the other RPGs you guys mentioned. Thanks.

#2 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -
Uhh...The Witcher?
#3 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (1366 posts) -
You could try Dragon Age: Origins.
#4 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Uhh...The Witcher?kris9031998

It came out in 2007. Too old for my taste.

#5 Posted by zahyr (1695 posts) -

crysis also came out in 2007....

the Witcher EE is pretty good you should try it out the graphics are still nice and a good game overall

#6 Posted by b-u-r-p (282 posts) -
I personally reccomend Dragon Age Origins, I hear a lot of good stuff about the Witcher though. There are also loads of great RTS games that offer a change of pace that you migh be looking for.
#7 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

crysis also came out in 2007....zahyr

Crysis is exceptional. I think we'd all agree that it is the definitive PC game when it comes to graphics.

#8 Posted by sauronthehun (187 posts) -

[QUOTE="kris9031998"]Uhh...The Witcher?BluRayHiDef

It hasn't aged that poorly.
#9 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I personally reccomend Dragon Age Origins, I hear a lot of good stuff about the Witcher though. There are also loads of great RTS games that offer a change of pace that you migh be looking for.b-u-r-p

I'm watching the trailer for the game as I type this. That red-haired girl might just seal the deal for me. Lol.

#10 Posted by brandon2802 (1773 posts) -

[QUOTE="b-u-r-p"]I personally reccomend Dragon Age Origins, I hear a lot of good stuff about the Witcher though. There are also loads of great RTS games that offer a change of pace that you migh be looking for.BluRayHiDef

I'm watching the trailer for the game as I type this. That red-haired girl might just seal the deal for me. Lol.

The trailer and the actual game play is definitely different, there was too much management of the characters during fights for me. Mass Effect has a pretty good story and a nice intro into RPGs. But if you don't mind the micro management of Dragon Age then that's the game for you.
#11 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -

The Witcher EE, or Bioshock.

Thanks for the sig, btw.

#12 Posted by IU_Stizzal (382 posts) -

I have completed Dragon Age: Origins, and so far I have found it more enjoyable then the Witcher. However, both are great games, so just go with what fits your budget.

#13 Posted by 73X (1545 posts) -

Are you serious? Wow. I'd sig that if I had room.

#14 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Has anyone ever run the Heaven benchmark? If so, what game uses that engine? It's beautiful.

#15 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -

Has anyone ever run the Heaven benchmark? If so, what game uses that engine? It's beautiful.

BluRayHiDef

Really old ones. I'm talking like three year old ones, so ancient.

#16 Posted by ferret-gamer (17363 posts) -

BluRayHiDef

that is the unigine engine. here is a list of stuff that uses ithttp://unigine.com/clients/most are still in development one has open beta testing and one has a demo.

#17 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

w4rrior17

Am i your sig now...
#18 Posted by gosmo (289 posts) -

2007 too old? WOW, if that is the case you are missing out on some of the greatest games of all time...

Plus, graphics have barely advanced since 2007.

#19 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -
[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="w4rrior17"]

[QUOTE="BluRayHiDef"]

Am i your sig now...

You're in it yeah, lol. It's more poking fun at his 2007 being too old comment. Nothing against you. Without you though, that epic quote wouldn't happen, so thanks :p
#20 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -

CSS, Diablo2, Starcraft, CoD 4, tf2 and gta must reeeeeeeeeeeally suck to you.
#21 Posted by kris9031998 (7554 posts) -

[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="w4rrior17"] Really old ones. I'm talking like three year old ones, so ancient.

w4rrior17

Am i your sig now...

You're in it yeah, lol. It's more poking fun at his 2007 being too old comment. Nothing against you. Without you though, that epic quote wouldn't happen, so thanks :p

Well, ok. Thanks.

#22 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Hey everyone, I decided to purchase Mass Effect. I'm downloading it right now from Steam. I know I said that it seems like just another action game, but after considering the other RPGs you guys recommended, I came to realize that mainstream RPGs would be too drastic of a change for me to take on so soon. Mass Effect seems like the type of game that would facilitate the gradual transition from standard action games to RPGs. It's different from the type of games I normally play, but not too different. Perhaps when I'm done with it, I'll try out the other RPGs you guys mentioned. Thanks.

#23 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -
Dude, Mass Effect is an 07 title. Enjoy the crappy graphics, lol.
#24 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Dude, Mass Effect is an 07 title. Enjoy the crappy graphics, lol.w4rrior17

Okay.

#25 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
Dragon Age if you want something completely different.
#26 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -

Hey everyone, I decided to purchase Mass Effect. I'm downloading it right now from Steam. I know I said that it seems like just another action game, but after considering the other RPGs you guys recommended, I came to realize that mainstream RPGs would be too drastic of a change for me to take on so soon. Mass Effect seems like the type of game that would facilitate the gradual transition from standard action games to RPGs. It's different from the type of games I normally play, but not too different. Perhaps when I'm done with it, I'll try out the other RPGs you guys mentioned. Thanks.

BluRayHiDef
Well Mass Effect is definitely more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2, where most of the RPG elements have been stripped away and its more of an action/adventure + third person shooter.
#27 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

Well Mass Effect is definitely more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2, where most of the RPG elements have been stripped away and its more of an action/adventure + third person shooter.General_X

Dude, did GS really ask you to change that pic in your sig? lol

#28 Posted by General_X (9077 posts) -

[QUOTE="General_X"]

Well Mass Effect is definitely more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2, where most of the RPG elements have been stripped away and its more of an action/adventure + third person shooter.mkaliaz

Yep, one mod gets a itchy trigger finger and ruins things for the rest of us :(
#29 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

[QUOTE="mkaliaz"]

[QUOTE="General_X"]

Well Mass Effect is definitely more of an RPG than Mass Effect 2, where most of the RPG elements have been stripped away and its more of an action/adventure + third person shooter.General_X

Yep, one mod gets a itchy trigger finger and ruins things for the rest of us :(

Thats a damned shame. :(

#30 Posted by wooooode (16665 posts) -
Batman AA, it is an amazing game you should check out the demo at the very least. I think it would fit in well with your collection.
#31 Posted by nikola96 (836 posts) -

Call of duty 4 or Dragon age:origins

#32 Posted by Fireboy78 (524 posts) -

For sure, Team Fortress 2!

#33 Posted by badtaker (3661 posts) -
RE5
#34 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Get Alien Swarm. Now.
#35 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
Get Alien Swarm. Now.
#36 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Batman AA, it is an amazing game you should check out the demo at the very least. I think it would fit in well with your collection.wooooode

I already have Batman: AA. I forgot to include it in the list. Anyhow, I've already made my decision; I bought Mass Effect.

#37 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

[QUOTE="wooooode"]Batman AA, it is an amazing game you should check out the demo at the very least. I think it would fit in well with your collection.BluRayHiDef

I already have Batman: AA. I forgot to include it in the list. Anyhow, I've already made my decision; I bought Mass Effect.

Great choice. I'm sure you will like it a lot.

#38 Posted by tricap (15 posts) -
I would recommend getting altitude. The game got in the top 10 at pax and is a really great game. I enjoy it many.
#39 Posted by funymunky (208 posts) -

For sure, Team Fortress 2!

Fireboy78

He wouldn't like it. It's too old.

#40 Posted by r4v3gl0ry (1285 posts) -

You should have tf2 no matter what. They just finished up with the engie update and the polycount winners have been chosen. Alien Swarm just came out yesterday and its FREE; one of its achievements even earns you a tf2 hat. If you want more good games you'll have to look beyond 2007.

#41 Posted by Farkeman (1199 posts) -
BF BC2 ultimate , must have game , buy it NAO!
#42 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -
BF BC2 ultimate , must have game , buy it NAO!Farkeman
Has that been out for mre than a week? If so OP won't like it. Too dated.
#43 Posted by Farkeman (1199 posts) -
ye looks like he should buy a console instead , and buy every fotm game and enjoy that over adveritised rubish ...
#44 Posted by Nindrew (21 posts) -
Chrome SpecForce
#45 Posted by Lemonio (513 posts) -

the orange box. all other options suck in comparison.

#46 Posted by Nindrew (21 posts) -

You should get america's army 3. Free on steam.

#47 Posted by Advid-Gamer (4642 posts) -
Uhh...The Witcher?kris9031998

crysis also came out in 2007....

the Witcher EE is pretty good you should try it out the graphics are still nice and a good game overall

zahyr
The witcher was not even on his list, it is a very overrated RPG on THIS forum. The game sucks, not completely, but the click click combat is not something all will enjoy. ON TOPIC Batman aa, Crysis/warhead are games that are a must play! I also loved mirrors edge, in the end you have to go wuth what YOU enjoy, I have played many highrated games that I hated and somr low rated games that I loved, clear sky being one of them now. OUt of your list def Batman./crysis
#48 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -
in the end you have to go wuth what YOU enjoy, I have played many highrated games that I hated and somr low rated games that I loved,Advid-Gamer
QFT.