What makes EVE Cool....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

A great game I'll never have time to learn or play... but these things are totally cool...

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Yep, very cool and what makes PC gaming truly great. However, I'm with you, I'll never have the time to learn or play this game...until maybe I retire. :)
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
Wish I had the time because taking part in events like this on such a large scale is unreal.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

I like it's staying power. It's by no means the most popular MMO but it's always been on the radar compared to most subsequent releases which tend to fade into oblivion.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Nice, looks intense even though I have no idea what was happening there.
ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I enjoyed Eve in concept and theory.

In practice it's the digital equivalent of taking Nyquil.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
A battle like that would make a good video, but an awfully boring experience. For a battle that large, leaders basically call out targets and those targets instantly die.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

The cause

A single misclick.

No, really: A Titan pilot beneath the Cluster banner was attempting a bridgeusing a ship to act as an artificial warp corridor for other shipsto Asakai VI when he accidentally warped himself straight into a very surprised Pandemic Legion fleet. The pilot, named Dabigredboat, immediately came under heavy attack as the Legion pounced on the extremely valuable ship.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :lol: did they even give the guy a chance to explain himself?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

The cause

A single misclick.

No, really: A Titan pilot beneath the Cluster banner was attempting a bridgeusing a ship to act as an artificial warp corridor for other shipsto Asakai VI when he accidentally warped himself straight into a very surprised Pandemic Legion fleet. The pilot, named Dabigredboat, immediately came under heavy attack as the Legion pounced on the extremely valuable ship.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :lol: did they even give the guy a chance to explain himself?

lawlessx
In space, there is no forgiveness...
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

The cause

A single misclick.

FelipeInside

In space, there is no forgiveness...

a lifetime of service often ends with a cold violent death in the vastness of space

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
I've always wondered, how does DEATH work in this game? If ur ship blows up, you loose everything? Is there like some respawn system? etc etc.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I enjoyed Eve in concept and theory.

In practice it's the digital equivalent of taking Nyquil.

ZombieKiller7

Yah, I'm having to go with this. This story makes it sound really really fun, but then you have to think; how often does that happen and how much time do you have to put in to get to that point?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Well...that escalated quickly :lol:

Funny how the guy recording had to stop using the original audio and use music instead as awell as kick up the framerate aftwards because ingame was nearly single digit FPS :lol:

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wis3boi

I've always wondered, how does DEATH work in this game? If ur ship blows up, you loose everything? Is there like some respawn system? etc etc.FelipeInside

the corpse of your ship can be looted by players, and since the guy who warped into the wrong place had an incredibly wealthy ship...that made him a nice target :D

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've always wondered, how does DEATH work in this game? If ur ship blows up, you loose everything? Is there like some respawn system? etc etc.wis3boi

the corpse of your ship can be looted by players, and since the guy who warped into the wrong place had an incredibly wealthy ship...that made him a nice target :D

Cool, but what happens to the dead player? Does he have to start over? Does he get his ship back, etc?
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UCF_Knight
I think they buy insurance. That way once their ship blows, they have some money to begin rebuilding. I'm pretty sure you lose everything though unless you're able to go back to the site and salvage parts.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I think they buy insurance. That way once their ship blows, they have some money to begin rebuilding. I'm pretty sure you lose everything though unless you're able to go back to the site and salvage parts.

WOW that's tough. How do you get back to the site if you have no ship left? lol...... (I'm guessing you have spare ships?)
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UCF_Knight
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] How do you get back to the site if you have no ship left?

I'm pretty sure you don't.. lol I think your best bet is if an ally was with you and happened to salvage some parts. Usually though it seems like people have to purchase everything back and start over again, which is why a lot of Eve players say 'don't fly what you can't afford to lose'. Some of the ships cost hundreds of dollars though, in USD. With some rare ships around 1000. So there is definitely a lot of value to be lost in this game..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] How do you get back to the site if you have no ship left?

I'm pretty sure you don't.. lol I think your best bet is if an ally was with you and happened to salvage some parts. Usually though it seems like people have to purchase everything back and start over again, which is why a lot of Eve players say 'don't fly what you can't afford to lose'. Some of the ships cost hundreds of dollars though, in USD. With some rare ships around 1000. So there is definitely a lot of value to be lost in this game..

Again, WOW....that is hardcore. I would hate to play countless hours only to loose everything in a few minutes.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] How do you get back to the site if you have no ship left?FelipeInside

Again, WOW....that is hardcore. I would hate to play countless hours only to loose everything in a few minutes.

Just checked the price of a leviathan class capital ship (the giant grey one in the beginning of the video that warped wrong) and they go for 75-100 billion ingame currency

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 UCF_Knight

Just checked the price of a leviathan class capital ship (the giant grey one in the beginning of the video that warped wrong) and they go for 75-100 billion ingame currencywis3boi
So between $2600 and $3500. Holy crap. That's a lot to lose on a single click..

And the entire battle cost an estimated $25,000 in damages. Wow.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
HoneyBadgers owned them like nothing else. I do respect EVE far more than any game on earth, I really really wish there were more like it instead of he handhding nonsense we have now. Still kudos to HoneyBadger for an epic victory.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]Just checked the price of a leviathan class capital ship (the giant grey one in the beginning of the video that warped wrong) and they go for 75-100 billion ingame currencyUCF_Knight

The battle

Titans and Supercarriers are two of the most expensive, deadly, and rare ship types in EVE Online. A single Titan, bristling with gun emplacements and heavy armor, can need upwards of over 900 pilots to beat down into submission. Read that again:900 pilots. And there were more than one of those behemoths in the battle.

The results

For the HoneyBadgers, losses sustained includedsix Dreadnoughts, 11 Carriers, and one Supercarrier. The Clusters suffered far worse: 44 Dreadnoughts, 29 Carriers, five Supercarriers, and three Titans.

Ultimately, GoonSwarm leader The Mittani called the Battle of Asakai a complete rout for the powerful Something Awful alliance. Estimated ISK (EVEs in-game currency) cost in damages are still being calculated, but early totals reach beyond 700 billion for both sides combined.

You're looking at $22k+ in damages

EVE-Online-Battle-of-Asakai-3-610x421.jp

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lawlessx

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I've always wondered, how does DEATH work in this game? If ur ship blows up, you loose everything? Is there like some respawn system? etc etc.FelipeInside

Cool, but what happens to the dead player? Does he have to start over? Does he get his ship back, etc?

when a ship is destoryed the player can get some money back IF he/she put insurance on it. as for actual death you can clone yourself(for a price depending on on many skills you own) so when you do get killed you wont be totally screwed.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lawlessx

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I think they buy insurance. That way once their ship blows, they have some money to begin rebuilding. I'm pretty sure you lose everything though unless you're able to go back to the site and salvage parts.FelipeInside
WOW that's tough. How do you get back to the site if you have no ship left? lol...... (I'm guessing you have spare ships?)

once a ship is blown up you're left with a pod that you can fly around in.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23943 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]I think they buy insurance. That way once their ship blows, they have some money to begin rebuilding. I'm pretty sure you lose everything though unless you're able to go back to the site and salvage parts.lawlessx

And if the pod then gets shot down, you respawn to somewhere where you cloned yourself. with a skill loss dephending on the quality of your clone, (potentially no skill loss at all.

But yeah, never risk what you cannot afford to risk. But it is tough death penalties like this that help stimulate the economy. Compared to the dead, and awful economy in most online games.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] WOW that's tough. How do you get back to the site if you have no ship left? lol...... (I'm guessing you have spare ships?)Maroxad

And if the pod then gets shot down, you respawn to somewhere where you cloned yourself. with a skill loss dephending on the quality of your clone, (potentially no skill loss at all.

But yeah, never risk what you cannot afford to risk. But it is tough death penalties like this that help stimulate the economy. Compared to the dead, and awful economy in most online games.

Not to be Devil's Advocate here, cause I respect EvE a lot.... but wouldn't that make the game "boring"? As in if you can't even want to risk what you can't afford, what's the use of creating and building something?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

FelipeInside

Not to be Devil's Advocate here, cause I respect EvE a lot.... but wouldn't that make the game "boring"? As in if you can't even want to risk what you can't afford, what's the use of creating and building something?

Of course, you can risk stuff you cant afford to replace, but you better be damn sure you know what you are doing.

Playing it more safe means that if something goes wrong (and in a world as unpredictable as EvE's, stuff will go wrong) you still have a backup.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JohnF111

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]Just checked the price of a leviathan class capital ship (the giant grey one in the beginning of the video that warped wrong) and they go for 75-100 billion ingame currencywis3boi

The battle

Titans and Supercarriers are two of the most expensive, deadly, and rare ship types in EVE Online. A single Titan, bristling with gun emplacements and heavy armor, can need upwards of over 900 pilots to beat down into submission. Read that again:900 pilots. And there were more than one of those behemoths in the battle.

The results

For the HoneyBadgers, losses sustained includedsix Dreadnoughts, 11 Carriers, and one Supercarrier. The Clusters suffered far worse: 44 Dreadnoughts, 29 Carriers, five Supercarriers, and three Titans.

Ultimately, GoonSwarm leader The Mittani called the Battle of Asakai a complete rout for the powerful Something Awful alliance. Estimated ISK (EVEs in-game currency) cost in damages are still being calculated, but early totals reach beyond 700 billion for both sides combined.

You're looking at $22k+ in damages

EVE-Online-Battle-of-Asakai-3-610x421.jp

Best MMO ever created. :D

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

So, dude teleports in the middle of enemies, gets PK'd, calls on his clan to go back there and PvP them, eventually becoming a huge mass PvP. This is simple everyday stuff in all sandbox MMOs, but somehow EvE makes it look extremely awsome.

Also, dear theme-park players, this is why sandbox MMORPGs are miles better than any casual theme park.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Big battles such as these make the news but Eve Online is full of other smaller but just as profound (albeit on a much smaller scale) player stories that makes it the best sandbox, dare i say even, best MMO out there. It may be a lengthy read but read the exploits of a much smaller corporation over a span of 5 (IIRC?) years. Its very enjoyable and I'm sure very easy to relate and you may begin to understand to a little degree what actually goes on in the Eve Online and why its still very very slowly but steadily climbing in player population. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/29/a-farewell-to-eve-the-complete-5-year-spree/
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnF111

So, dude teleports in the middle of enemies, gets PK'd, calls on his clan to go back there and PvP them, eventually becoming a huge mass PvP. This is simple everyday stuff in all sandbox MMOs, but somehow EvE makes it look extremely awsome.

Also, dear theme-park players, this is why sandbox MMORPGs are miles better than any casual theme park.

QQabitmoar
Yeah but he was in a Titan and they are valuable as hell so he wouldn't want to lose it, I would have called my buddies as well. I wouldn't lose my Titan without a fight.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wis3boi

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

JohnF111

Yeah but he was in a Titan and they are valuable as hell so he wouldn't want to lose it, I would have called my buddies as well. I wouldn't lose my Titan without a fight.

And this mistake cost them three titans :lol:

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I would rather play games that I can just pick up and have some fun. Maybe if I didn't have daily commitments I could play this game.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UCF_Knight

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

wis3boi

Yeah I would have been pissed if I lost my thousand dollar ship trying to save someone else's dumb ass. :P
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JohnF111

[QUOTE="JohnF111"][QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

wis3boi

I know it's hilarious!! :lol: Oh how I wish I could afford to sit on my ass all day without a job and play an online game to the extent those guys do.
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

700,000,000,000 ISK in damage.

One $20 time card cost around 500,000,000 ISK... Which means that battle caused $28,000 of real money worth of damage.

Pretty crazy though. Someone said at the peak there were 49 titans engaged, hundreds of carriers and dreadnoughts, thousands of other ships. 3200 pilots, and several different systems, not just the one pictured (reinforcements engaging en route).

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FelipeInside

QQabitmoar

Irrelevant. It's like saying Oranges are miles better than Apples. And I'm sick of people saying theme park means casual? and sandbox means hardcore, what a load of BS.

Both types of MMOs can be hardcore or casually played, and BOTH types of MMOs can be fun and better than the other.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

FelipeInside

Irrelevant. It's like saying Oranges are miles better than Apples. And I'm sick of people saying theme park means casual? and sandbox means hardcore, what a load of BS.

Both types of MMOs can be hardcore or casually played, and BOTH types of MMOs can be fun and better than the other.

If you don't understand why theme-parks are more casual than sandboxes....I don't have the time to go into yet another lenghty debate, but I will just say this, it's about possibilities. See that elf there? I hate elves. So, I will pk that elf, I don't want him near my exp spot. That elf will call his clannies. You know what happens next. Simple xp grind turned into mass pvp.

Meanwhile, theme-park players are spamming instances, protected from the dangers of an open world, relying on pre-made battlegrounds with scenarios for PvP. Theme park MMORPGs try to protect the players from other players as much as they can. Sandboxes don't do that, obviously.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

QQabitmoar

If you don't understand why theme-parks are more casual than sandboxes....I don't have the time to go into yet another lenghty debate, but I will just say this, it's about possibilities. See that elf there? I hate elves. So, I will pk that elf, I don't want him near my exp spot. That elf will call his clannies. You know what happens next. Simple xp grind turned into mass pvp.

Meanwhile, theme-park players are spamming instances, protected from the dangers of an open world, relying on pre-made battlegrounds with scenarios for PvP. Theme park MMORPGs try to protect the players from other players as much as they can. Sandboxes don't do that, obviously.

I understand, doesn't make one better than the other, just different. Doesn't make one more hardcore than the other either. There are casual players in sandbox MMOs and there are "hardcore" players in theme parked MMOs too.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

QQabitmoar

Actually... not all themeparks are like that.

I like to put themeparks in 2 categories.

Linear, Handholding, Safe themeparks that treat their customers like small children. Games like WoW and SWTOR basically.

Then there is the themepark that puts players always at risk, does not hold their hand and lets their players get lost in the world with interdephendability and basicly they treat their players like adults. Games like EverQuest fits this bill.

iorya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 iorya
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

PVP, crafting, some players only play with the market, others like to build ships, others like to rule empires, the choice is yours.