What is the most popular online shooter game for the PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DJgummy (377 posts) -

Hey,

I got a couple of online shooters for christmas, Call of Duty 4 and Team Fortress 2, but the lag issues in both games bother me just a little too much. I feel I didn't do enough research (apart from looking at the top 20 action game list on gamespot) into what games are the most popular. It's mostly lag issues that I'm worried about, so just let me know of any online shooters you guys still play that are popular and have relatively low lag. The only other shooters I own for PC are Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and Crysis. Anyone got suggestions?

Thanks

#2 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

Man, are you sure you are finding the best servers for TF2? If you are having lag issues with that game, that is not good. There should be thousands of servers to choose from.

As far as the most popular FPS games: Black Ops, Bad Company 2, TF2, and Counter-strike. Maybe someone else has more ideas.

#3 Posted by ish27 (1006 posts) -

Well, if your internet is the cause of the lag, every multiplayer shooter will give you lag. If it's your computer, then you need to play older games. The most popular shooters other than the ones you listed are COD2, COD, CSS, and BF2. Look into those and see if any suit you.

#4 Posted by XxspritexX (5836 posts) -
Are you running on Vista wireless?
#5 Posted by KLONE360 (1119 posts) -
>Lags in TF2 >Wants better game >Has BC2, dousnt talk about BC2 lag or Crysis lag. Either is troll or has sucky internet.
#6 Posted by DJgummy (377 posts) -

I'm running on a vista but its not wireless. I don't think its my internet because Bad Company 2 played brilliantly with virtually no lag, I'm just not a big fan of the gameplay. Also, I haven't played TF2 as much as Cod4 so perhaps my lag experiences were just freak occurences. I appreciate the replies greatly.

#7 Posted by Silos911 (615 posts) -

If his computer can run Crysis, then I think his computer is good enough to run Team Fortress 2. I'm trying to get into PC gaming myself (Once I get money to buy a good PC) so I can't really help you, other then say the basic Bad Company 2 and Black Ops.

#8 Posted by SkullShooter17 (199 posts) -

Well, if your internet is the cause of the lag, every multiplayer shooter will give you lag. If it's your computer, then you need to play older games. The most popular shooters other than the ones you listed are COD2, COD, CSS, and BF2. Look into those and see if any suit you.

ish27

Uhh... CoD 1&2? Really? The games that no one plays?

The top V on steam right now are CS 1.6, CSS, Black Ops, Football Manager 2011(this worries me) and Civ V

#9 Posted by DJgummy (377 posts) -

Anyone else have suggestions? Does anyone else use the steam list to learn what the most popular games are? My questions are genuine I'm just looking for some suggestions.

#10 Posted by Walincas (511 posts) -

that is without question Can shooting online, but u gotta be carefull not to hit the red cans!!

#11 Posted by roulettethedog (10931 posts) -

I would guess that you might be picking servers far away to get lag on TF2 if you have a decent gaming rig with at least an average video card. Try putting servers with low pings in your favorites to see if these server pings stay low.

#12 Posted by SF_KiLLaMaN (6446 posts) -
If TF2 is lagging for you you are either playing on a bad server or the fault is on your end.
#13 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3516 posts) -
TF2, Call of Duty's - doing well unfortuneately, uh...what else. Check the Steam Stats. Bad Company 2 is also doing well. Probably between 10k and 15k per day.
#14 Posted by adamosmaki (9358 posts) -
Same what others said. Most likely you were unlucky in the servers you were in TF2 and you got lag since there are thousands of servers to choose from Also Counterstrike both the original and the source engine are extremely popular to this day Battlefield 2 which is my favorite personal still is a popular game with a few thousands people playing at any given time Quake live which is free is the epitome of fast paced shooters again with alot of servers to choose from
#15 Posted by DJ_Headshot (6176 posts) -
Counter Stike 1.6 and Source are at the top.
#16 Posted by badtaker (3661 posts) -
Shooters come and go but CS still remains