What is the current state of: Total War: Rome II?

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

So I havent purchased anything Total War since getting Shogun 2 on sale a few years ago. It was a fun, though limited game, but I did put more hrs into it than any others. For a long time before its release I had Rome II high on my buy list but after its launch issues and tons of DLC I decided to abstain and have since turned my back on Total War.

Now, after seeing a few history docs, Im feeling that itch for historic battle and was wondering what the current state of Rome II really is so far out from launch. Is it worth buying? Is it stable? Is performance good? Is the AI worth fighting? Is diplomacy still barebones? Are battles repetitive? What can I expect? Are any DLCs worth getting as well? Is CA just a failure now? lol.

Let me know. Thanks.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts
Loading Video...

AI is still completely broken.

In my opinion - shogun 2 was/is still the best total war ever made.
So... unless you are getting Rome for cheap, I'd avoid it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

works fine for me, has been fine for a long time

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

lol thanks Fatee. Staying far away now.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

A lot better than launch. I'd say it's perfectly fun and playable. The A.I. may have wonky moments but it's fine most of the time. In fact, if you didn't watch Youtube videos focusing on these exceptions and teaching you how to exploit them, I guarantee you wouldn't have noticed it being broken in the first place.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58917 Posts

@fatee said:

Loading Video...

AI is still completely broken.

In my opinion - shogun 2 was/is still the best total war ever made.

So... unless you are getting Rome for cheap, I'd avoid it.

Agreed. Sadly, I suspect the next Total War (or Wars) will also be built with consoles in mind. When they can barely hatch together a pc specific game, attempting to create a cross-designed game (the concept alone will make pc gamers bork) will just be a fucking mess. It's coming, sooner or later.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

Much Much better, the Ai can still on occasion be utterly moronic,but apart from that its pretty good now,still not as good as shogun 2 tho

Curiosi1066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Curiosi1066
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I've played every Total War game since Medieval 1 excessively and I can safely say that at launch this was the worst of the bunch and im including Empire, now 13 patches on the game is more than playable and tbh there is nothing like Total War in a Roman setting. The battles now last longer and units hold formation, the retarded flag cap system has been almost entirely removed and the AI is more in line with the other TW games (not great, but not game breaking). But don't play vanilla, get some mods, there are loads to just improve the vanilla experience on the workshop, Radious mods are great (apart from his battle mod) and so are Dresden's and if you want a complete over hall go download Divide et Impera its the only way I play R2 now and improves every aspect of the game from battles to diplomacy to the RPG like aspect of gaining exp for your legions and generals, just awesome cant recommend it enough.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Its pretty good, I played it about a month ago for a while and the AI did have some issues when attacking cities with walls. Apart from that it was fine, the AI is miles better than at launch and I didn't encounter any other bugs really.

That video is from April btw so its not good indicator of what the game is currently like.