What is the best TYCOON game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by bawathegamer (1498 posts) -

ive not played too many.

from the ones ive played, i enjoyed zoo tycoon, and monopoly tycoon(i was surprised this one was so much fun),.

i wanted to know which were the best tycoon games out there.name as many as you like.and mention why they are so good(addictive)

ps :ive heard rollercoaster tycoon is good.is it?

#2 Posted by 4th3ist (510 posts) -

pizza tycoon (dos game)

#3 Posted by scotty992 (2388 posts) -
I really enjoyed Tycoon city New york.
#4 Posted by Galinoth (57 posts) -
Oh Christ, it has been a long time since I played rollercoaster tycoon. That game is crazy fun, trying to come up with new ways to make the visitors throw up. Most of the tycoon games are so simple they aren't worth playing much anymore. Dinosaur tycoon was awesome, but I doubt I could play it for more than a few days now without getting bored.
#5 Posted by Serial-No_3404 (2876 posts) -
rollercoaster tycoon is bomb....also try out sim city 4....i love both games
#6 Posted by MrUnSavory1 (777 posts) -
Horse Manure Tycoon
#7 Posted by WDT-BlackKat (1779 posts) -

There's only one good series with the word Tycoon in the name, and that's because unlike the rest, it's not some budget title crap game.

Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon (and it's Poptop sequels II+III, and spiritual successor Sid Meier's Railroads).

Transport Tycoon was ok for it's age, but it's maker Chris Sawyer (who also did Rollercoaster Tycoon) couldn't find a 3d engine if it hit him upside the head. Thus the series got dated very fast, and it's most current iteration was god awful (not for graphics datedness although it was butt-ugly but because he also can't seem to handle pathfinding AI).

Other than those you can assume all games with the word 'Tycoon' in their name are utterly reprehensible crap fit only for the sort of crowd who buy all their clothes at Wal-Mart and also enjoy such games as Deer Hunter.

#8 Posted by The_PC_Gamer (2910 posts) -
rollercoaster tycoon
#9 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -

There's only one good series with the word Tycoon in the name, and that's because unlike the rest, it's not some budget title crap game.

Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon (and it's Poptop sequels II+III, and spiritual successor Sid Meier's Railroads).

Transport Tycoon was ok for it's age, but it's maker Chris Sawyer (who also did Rollercoaster Tycoon) couldn't find a 3d engine if it hit him upside the head. Thus the series got dated very fast, and it's most current iteration was god awful (not for graphics datedness although it was butt-ugly but because he also can't seem to handle pathfinding AI).

Other than those you can assume all games with the word 'Tycoon' in their name are utterly reprehensible crap fit only for the sort of crowd who buy all their clothes at Wal-Mart and also enjoy such games as Deer Hunter.

WDT-BlackKat

Sid's railroad tycoons are really, really good. His last one, Railroads IMHO is horrible though. I didn't like the 3rd Pop-Top one either as it's economics are a little to real and gets old.

Transportation Tycoon by Sawyer is one of my favoirtes, it didn't age well though and BlackKat is right he couldn't find a 3D engine to save his live and his remake is indeed god aweful. It's a shame he couldn't have used the RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 engine for TTY.

There are a couple of 'open source' style Transportation Tycoon games if you look around for them.

Industry Giant is a pretty nice tycoon game done in the vein of Railroad/Transportation style.

The first Rollercoaster tycoon seems to be the best, again though it's dated. The 3rd is really well done, but I think it lacks the simple charm of the 1st.

Simcity 4 + Rush Hour expansion especially if you go to simtropolis.com and download content is an endless amount of city building fun.

Also it's very simple, but I loved playing Lemonade Tycoon 2 & Fairy Godmother Tycoon, the latter was a riot for me because of the way they implemented it. Neither are very deep, but fun while they last.

MS's Zoo Tycoons are pretty well done too.

----

Anyone play the Prison line of tycoons? I see it staring me in the face everytime I go to Walmart :)