What is the best Sci-fi RTS game ever?

• 52 results
Edited 5 months, 17 days ago

Poll: What is the best Sci-fi RTS game ever? (49 votes)

Starcraft *series* 33%
Nexus The Jupiter Incident 2%
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War *series* 29%
Sins of a Solar Empire *series* 6%
Anomaly *series* 0%
Anno 2070 2%
Command & Conquer *series* 22%
Supreme Commander *series* 16%
ground control *series* 0%
other* please specify* 14%

Hello Gamers

This is my first thread in gamespot. i have collected some sci-fi rts games and i want know your opinion about this.

Here more Sci-fi RTS games

Vote now!

#1 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

As much as I enjoy some of those games more then starcraft, nothing really beats it for best sci-fi rts game or series.

#2 Edited by tigerLK (17 posts) -
#3 Posted by Assimilat0r (745 posts) -

C&C, since they are father of RTS. Dune 2 (not a part of C&C but we all consider them as C&C part) is first RTS ever + master piece of gaming.

#4 Edited by with_teeth26 (6058 posts) -

probably Homeworld. Command & Conquer and Dawn of War are really good as well.

#5 Posted by SerOlmy (1655 posts) -

Are you kidding me? You don't even have Homeworld on that list. Not only is it the best sci-fi RTS ever made it is also the best rated. Fail poll is fail.

Gearbox is doing an HD remake of Homeworld 1 and 2 with combined multiplayer and full Steamworks integration. I can't wait.

#6 Posted by krazyorange (2619 posts) -

Well out of those DoW is the clear winner (inb4 Starcraft fanboy fury).

Overall it's Emperor: Battle for Dune.

#7 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (436 posts) -

@SerOlmy: I'm pumped to see how that hd remake turns out. Would be nice to see it not as simply an hd remake but maybe add some systems and new ideas to the series.

#8 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

I gotta vote for C&C. The series that started it all.

#9 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -

C&C, since they are father of RTS. Dune 2 (not a part of C&C but we all consider them as C&C part) is first RTS ever + master piece of gaming.

Yes C&C good before but finally its failed

#10 Posted by evildead6789 (7505 posts) -

HOMEWORLD 1 & 2

no contest

#11 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -

Starcraft .

You should've added Homeworld in that list as well , just saying . Homeworld series is among the best , that's why I can't wait for HD remake of em .

#12 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

I might get bashed for this, but I don't, and probably never will, get all the love for StarCraft. It just copied exactly the C&C formula (with some dumbed down resource gathering) dumbed down the maps, and everyone loves it? I tried to get into SC2, I really did, but I just couldn't. I guess the more simplified game is better for competition, but still, competitive friendly doesn't make it a great game. SC2 is average at best, because average is all it ever strived to be. There is no innovation in SC, it's all about presentation. It's essentially the CoD of the RTS genre, except worse. It never dared to change anything. There are a ton of RTS games that are more deserving of praise than SC2. Previously mentioned Homeworld, Sins of a Solar Empire, Company of Heroes, even Supreme Commander are all RTS games that actually strived to be more than a C&C clone with a ton of makeup on, 3 of those fall under the sci-fi category.

#13 Edited by tigerLK (17 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse: I didn't get one thing if C&C best sci-fi rts game why its failed?

Really what happened to C&C 4

and company of hero not sci-fi one

#14 Posted by kraken2109 (13007 posts) -

DOW, Red Alert and not forgetting Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (basically AOE2 with a Star Wars skin on top).

#15 Posted by illmatic87 (15157 posts) -

Homeworld was probably the most groundbreaking in terms of overall quality.

Total Annihilation was the RTS that was most ahead of time in terms of design and technicalities (Heck, it was also one of the first games ever to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack).

StarCraft was the most impactful.

#16 Posted by Toxic-Seahorse (4118 posts) -

@tigerlk said:

@Toxic-Seahorse: I didn't get one thing if C&C best sci-fi rts game why its failed?

Really what happened to C&C 4

and company of hero not sci-fi one

One bad game doesn't put an entire series down. They dared to do something different with C&C 4 and yeah it sucked, but at least they tried. C&C4 being bad doesn't make the rest of the C&C games bad.

Also, I obviously know CoH isn't sci-fi, I was simply using it to point out RTS games that actually tried something different than the C&C formula, unlike StarCraft.

Total Annihilation was the RTS that was most ahead of time in terms of design and technicalities (Heck, it was also one of the first games ever to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack).

How can StarCraft be more impactful than C&C, which basically started the RTS genre?

#17 Edited by PredatorRules (7432 posts) -

Starcraft 2 alone beats the crap out of other RTS games, it brought a new standart of how RTS games should be done in the new era

#18 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -

probably Homeworld. Command & Conquer and Dawn of War are really good as well.

Starcraft .

You should've added Homeworld in that list as well , just saying . Homeworld series is among the best , that's why I can't wait for HD remake of em .

HOMEWORLD 1 & 2

no contest

@SerOlmy said:

Are you kidding me? You don't even have Homeworld on that list. Not only is it the best sci-fi RTS ever made it is also the best rated. Fail poll is fail.

Gearbox is doing an HD remake of Homeworld 1 and 2 with combined multiplayer and full Steamworks integration. I can't wait.

Homeland had good storyline but other things not perfect.

#19 Posted by way2funny (4569 posts) -

Anno isn't an RTS, its a city building game

#20 Edited by kozzy1234 (35155 posts) -

If it is just RTS then Dune 2 no question, really surprised that was not listed. Great Sci Fi movie and good scfi/rts game.

#21 Edited by KHAndAnime (13450 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I might get bashed for this, but I don't, and probably never will, get all the love for StarCraft. It just copied exactly the C&C formula (with some dumbed down resource gathering) dumbed down the maps, and everyone loves it? I tried to get into SC2, I really did, but I just couldn't. I guess the more simplified game is better for competition, but still, competitive friendly doesn't make it a great game. SC2 is average at best, because average is all it ever strived to be. There is no innovation in SC, it's all about presentation. It's essentially the CoD of the RTS genre, except worse. It never dared to change anything. There are a ton of RTS games that are more deserving of praise than SC2. Previously mentioned Homeworld, Sins of a Solar Empire, Company of Heroes, even Supreme Commander are all RTS games that actually strived to be more than a C&C clone with a ton of makeup on, 3 of those fall under the sci-fi category.

Unlike C&C, Starcraft has asymmetric race balance. Meaning that each race plays drastically different than the other, but is balanced to be equal in power. C&C's factions are basically just variations of the same "race". Also unlike C&C, Starcraft's strategy was more complex than tank spam/rushing.

#22 Posted by bulby_g (1049 posts) -

Homeworld series! I gave a vote for Anno 2070 and DOW series too though. I loved C&C and Starcraft 1 at the time but they haven't aged all that well IMO.

#23 Posted by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

Starcraft is an awesome series, but so is DoW. Both are great!

#24 Posted by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

Homeworld still has one the best single player games (of any genre) imo. A perfect mix of cinematic story-telling and actual fucking gameplay. Unlike (for example) Naughty Dog and Call Of Duty (all of them).

#25 Posted by Nanomage (2410 posts) -

Supreme Commander(the first one) and Homeworld.

#26 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -

Oops i never heard that game

#27 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -
#28 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15919 posts) -

Homeworld and Homeworld 2 by far.

#29 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2569 posts) -

Tough competition among DOW , SC and C&C .

#30 Edited by Arthas045 (5100 posts) -

Man Supreme Commander is awesome too!!!! Think I will be hitting up some RTS games tonight.

#31 Edited by GarGx1 (2506 posts) -

I voted Warhammer but the moment I hit cast vote, Homeworld came to mind and is where my vote should be :)

#32 Posted by krazyorange (2619 posts) -

@tigerlk said:

@krazyorange said:

Oops i never heard that game

Sigh, and we hope to entrust the youth of today with the world of tomorrow. REPENT YOUR SINS, THE WORLD IS DRIVING STRAIGHT FOR HE..................or whatever, you know.

#33 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -
#34 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12193 posts) -

Homeworld.

#35 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -

Homeworld still has one the best single player games (of any genre) imo. A perfect mix of cinematic story-telling and actual fucking gameplay. Unlike (for example) Naughty Dog and Call Of Duty (all of them).

Why everyone like this game so much

#36 Posted by MaddenBowler10 (8820 posts) -

never played Dawn of War, do people still play it?

#37 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -
#38 Posted by GarGx1 (2506 posts) -

@tigerlk said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Hopefully in a few months you can find out. Gearbox are doing a re-master of Homeworld 1 & 2 and with a bit of luck they won't screw it up

http://www.homeworldremastered.com/#3

#39 Edited by uninspiredcup (7861 posts) -

Very looking forward to this. Mostly likely GOTY or close to it. No doubt. It's gona be awesome.

#40 Posted by AFBrat77 (24081 posts) -

Sacrifice

One of the most underrated games of all.

#41 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15919 posts) -

@tigerlk said:

@uninspiredcup said:

For me? The fully fluid 3D environment just blows my mind.

#42 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

Sacrifice

What?

#43 Posted by AFBrat77 (24081 posts) -

@tigerlk said:

@AFBrat77 said:

Sacrifice

What?

a game called Sacrifice...one of the weirdest and best strategy games ever, no where else can u worship a God named James! Ok maybe some will say Lebron James ;).

#44 Posted by groowagon (2761 posts) -

@Nanomage said:

Supreme Commander(the first one) and Homeworld.

#45 Posted by tigerLK (17 posts) -
#46 Edited by AFBrat77 (24081 posts) -

@tigerlk said:

@AFBrat77: seems like really bad

Great game.....I guess you had to have been there.

#47 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

I have to say it's a tie between starcraft and 40k

#48 Posted by RichardGamingo (33 posts) -

Definitely Starcraft + Broodwar, the campaigns were like a swirling vortex of awesome into the final conclusion.

#49 Posted by kungfool69 (2574 posts) -

i love supcom 1 and 2, Red alert 2 has such a great humour too. One game that has me coming back is Emperor: Battle for Dune becuase i love the books (even though the game is based on the David Lynch movie, its still so much fun, especially John Rhys Davies!)

#50 Edited by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

Homeworld,followed by Total Annihilation. Supreme Commander from that list.