What if Steam were to shut down?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ASRCSR (2793 posts) -

If Steam shut down let say in 10 years, what would happen to all the games i purchased? would i still be able to access them or what?

#2 Posted by FelipeInside (26188 posts) -

If Steam shut down let say in 10 years, what would happen to all the games i purchased? would i still be able to access them or what?

ASRCSR
After 10 years....you will be playing newer games right?
#3 Posted by ASRCSR (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

FelipeInside

hypothetically, i just saying what happens to all my games that i purchased with money that would still have worth 10 years from now? also maybe some games i would like to play in 10 years

#4 Posted by millerlight89 (18641 posts) -
[QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

FelipeInside

What does this matter. Do you throw away games when newer ones come out?
#5 Posted by w4rrior17 (943 posts) -
Technically the wouldn't have to do anything I think. But if I had to guess they would release some sort of patch to make Steam games availible w/o Steam.
#6 Posted by FelipeInside (26188 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

millerlight89

What does this matter. Do you throw away games when newer ones come out?

I mostly sell my games so I have money for newer ones... As for the post.... don't worry man, 10 years from now you might not even have time for gaming, lol.... but I think Steam will still be around...
#7 Posted by Suffca (666 posts) -

We'd be all ****

#8 Posted by biggest_loser (24140 posts) -
I don't think you have to worry about it somehow...
#9 Posted by scar-hawk (5404 posts) -
Yes, you will lose your games. Simple as that.
#10 Posted by somegtalover (2700 posts) -

is google going to close down anytime soon?

No i think the end of the world will come before steam goes

#11 Posted by millerlight89 (18641 posts) -
Yes, you will lose your games. Simple as that.scar-hawk
You know this how?
#12 Posted by LiftedHeadshot (2460 posts) -
If Steam shut down PC gaming would die. Blizzard alone would not be enough to carry the industry.
#13 Posted by FelipeInside (26188 posts) -
What a useless thread really (no offense to the poster of course)... I am more worried about other things in 10 years time...
#14 Posted by brandontwb (4325 posts) -

I think Steam might allow you to download all of your games and keep them in a final offline Steam platform.

#15 Posted by cabose38 (1162 posts) -

I thought you could burn steam games to a disc.

#16 Posted by MaxGamer (16500 posts) -

I'm pretty sure they'd give us all a notification with a way of preserving copies of purchased games well before closing down. I think there are laws that prevent them from just closing and leaving their customers stranded without notice.

#17 Posted by Drazule (8694 posts) -

I remember reading that Steam would release a patch that would 'emancipate' your games from the need for Steam in the event that happens.

#18 Posted by 1carus (1454 posts) -

Lol at "This is a pointless thread" and "what does it matter." Seriously, what does happen when Steam or Valve shuts down? The answer should be pretty simple - if they've shut down, they're probably bankrupt, and no longer represent an organisation. As such, they're not going to go to the trouble of creating some kind of "patch" that gives you all your games. Nope - you will most likely lose every one of your games.

And that is why Steam isn't so great. Don't be so ignorant guys.

#19 Posted by the_mitch28 (4684 posts) -

Doesn't Valve keep Steam as a seperate company that they own? or is it all under Valve?

I honestly think retail PC games will die out before Steam but at any rate like someone else said, they'll release a patch getting rid of the need for Steam.

#20 Posted by Buttons1990 (3167 posts) -

[QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Yes, you will lose your games. Simple as that.millerlight89
You know this how?

Are the invisible imaginary ghost's servers going to distribute/hold the games for us?

Either the service will simply shut down, or (more likely) someone else will purchase and run it...

#21 Posted by Smithgdwg (1886 posts) -

The world is going to end 2012, so you have nothing to worry about.

#22 Posted by Lemonio (513 posts) -

Yes, you will lose your games. Simple as that.scar-hawk

this.

#23 Posted by G013M (6424 posts) -

Lol at "This is a pointless thread" and "what does it matter." Seriously, what does happen when Steam or Valve shuts down? The answer should be pretty simple - if they've shut down, they're probably bankrupt, and no longer represent an organisation. As such, they're not going to go to the trouble of creating some kind of "patch" that gives you all your games. Nope - you will most likely lose every one of your games.

1carus

I'd consider valve to be large enough of a publisher/developer/distributor that if they were to get into that sort of situation, they'd likely get bought rather then be completely shut down.

#24 Posted by Buttons1990 (3167 posts) -

Smithgdwg

No... Just no.

#25 Posted by GhoX (5266 posts) -
It's extremely unlikely that Steam will shut down even in 10 years. If in 10 years Valve is on the verge of bankruptcy, it's much more likely that another company would want to buy Steam off of them.
#26 Posted by bonafidetk (3850 posts) -
Steam owns the monopoly on digital game sales on the PC. Steam isnt going any where.
#27 Posted by kdawg88 (2912 posts) -
[QUOTE="ASRCSR"]

FelipeInside

Dude, that is an extremely stupid thing you just said. I'm playing System Shock, DOOM, Commander Keen, Ultima Underworld and many other aged games, and I'm enjoying them.
#28 Posted by MaxGamer (16500 posts) -

There's no way in hell Steam is going to shut down. Digital sales are quite possibly the most profitable business in existence seeing as how the products they sell are intangible and are "copied" in a virtual environment. For the cost it takes to host a 10GB file, they could make hundreds of thousands of sales with close to 100% profit margins because they don't have to open a physical store, they don't have to pay any employees in those stores, and there's no cost of transporting the goods around. I bet the higher ups at Gamestop toss in their sleep every night at the thought of what their competitors are making.

If anything, they'll have to stop hosting older games to free up space, but that's highly unlikely seeing as how dirt cheap digital storage is. My free Gmail account has 7.5GB of storage and I'm one in billions of users. The cost it takes to maintain my free email account is the same it takes to sell you the last full priced game you bought off Steam.

#30 Posted by trastamad03 (4859 posts) -

1carus

hmmm... forced to come up with a patch or other method to make Steam customers obtain their games w/o the need to use Steam anymore OR not give **** about them and get sued BIG TIME by every former-Steam customer, just cause the company went out, doesn't mean their owners go unscathed... I think I'd rather come up with the patch if I was them.

#31 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

I think if you still had the actual program you could go in offline mode and play them.

#32 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

[QUOTE="Smithgdwg"]

Buttons1990

No... Just no.

That's a big what if so yes....oh yes.

What if the world ends somehow in 6 years? yep you can't answer and the same, nobody is able to answer TC's question and if it does happen we don't know how and if we'd survive/keep our games.

It's simple, it's not rocket science.

Personally I doubt Valve will ever go under but you never know, having a lot of negativism inside won't make you more knowledgeable, at the end of the day you'd know as much about Valve's future as a guy on the street that never even heard of Valve. Valve/Steam is the leading digital distributor and that market is growing every year, if Valve would go down be sure that you won't be able to buy anything online because they'd be the last ones to fall.

#33 Posted by Im_single (5134 posts) -

[QUOTE="1carus"]

G013M

I'd consider valve to be large enough of a publisher/developer/distributor that if they were to get into that sort of situation, they'd likely get bought rather then be completely shut down.

Not to mention the backlash if Steam shut down, oh lord the backlash would be immense, it would be like the Tienanmen Square protests but with angry nerds.

#34 Posted by Buttons1990 (3167 posts) -

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

[QUOTE="Smithgdwg"]

DanielDust

No... Just no.

What if the world ends somehow in 6 years? yep you can't answer and the same, nobody is able to answer TC's question and if it does happen we don't know how and if we'd survive/keep our games.

Personally I doubt Valve will ever go under but you never know, having a lot of negativism inside won't make you more knowledgeable, at the end of the day you'd know as much about Valve's future as a guy on the street that never even heard of Valve. Valve/Steam is the leading digital distributor and that market is growing every year, if Valve would go down be sure that you won't be able to buy anything online because they'd be the last ones to fall.

Because:

1) There are no abnormalities detected with our sun...

2) The next asteroid scheduled to pass anywhere within striking distance of our planet is in 2038 or something like that...

3) Our planet, at the moment, is geologically stable...

Planets do not randomly just get destroyed, something has to destroy them... And short of our sun either dying or exploding, an asteroid hitting the planet, or the planet itself becoming unfit for life, nothing will destroy us any time soon...

#35 Posted by Treflis (11801 posts) -
If Steam was forced to be shut down for good then you'd loose your games.
#36 Posted by Invision299 (40 posts) -

You can play the games in offline mode

#37 Posted by nethernova (4244 posts) -

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="scar-hawk"]Yes, you will lose your games. Simple as that.Buttons1990

You know this how?

Are the invisible imaginary ghost's servers going to distribute/hold the games for us?

Either the service will simply shut down, or (more likely) someone else will purchase and run it...

Come on, in what world do you live? Obviously somebody will patch the games to make them work without Steam.
#38 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -
Nature is not predictable Buttons and in our period the weather "was" way too calm compared to the usual weather and it's getting worse and worse every year ( but at the same time better and better since chaotic weather should be normal) and there are a lot of things that can go wrong here on our planet, not all threats come from outer space. Nothing is predictable, we might all disappear soon without anyone predicting a single thing, nowadays you can't even predict the weather for 2 days sometimes not even for one day. Anyway it went off topic since that 2012 thing that is pretty much a stupid story created by people that have nothing better to do (last year somebody discovered in a document from da Vinci that the end is not in 2012 it's in 2050 something...it's all stupidity). If our end will come nobody will be able to predict it if it's not one of the things you talked about since it's pretty hard to not observe them while they develop/happen.
#39 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -

i would download all my games and save them on storage, somehow I dont think steam is going anywhere in the next ten years.

#40 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

worst case scenario is in 10 years Valve is bankrupt and sells Steam to another company.

Failing that, they'd release a program allowing you to both backup games on your hard drive and burn them onto DVDs.

#41 Posted by Lach0121 (9971 posts) -

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

No... Just no.

Buttons1990

Because:

1) There are no abnormalities detected with our sun...

2) The next asteroid scheduled to pass anywhere within striking distance of our planet is in 2038 or something like that...

3) Our planet, at the moment, is geologically stable...

Planets do not randomly just get destroyed, something has to destroy them... And short of our sun either dying or exploding, an asteroid hitting the planet, or the planet itself becoming unfit for life, nothing will destroy us any time soon...

People forget that the these predictions were done back when time was literally measured differently.. Time is based solely off of astrology (without the study of stars (other solar systems) and SOL (also known as God's son/sun) the one star in our solar system, we wouldn't have this system of time as we know it.

God's sun, afterall is the "light of the world."

Astronomy and Astrology have been "improved" over the ages, evidence would be the many religions over the many ages.

Just 2 of the simple examples are daylights savings time, and the 365 1/4 day a year, (leap year added) as well as the poles (axis) of our planet have shifted slightly (and this isn't the first time) All these result in a slight change in how we calculate time, and over "time" these changes would become greater.

Remember Time is just the measurement between two events.

There doesn't need to be a divine power to destroy man, Man will destroy himself (if we don't grow up.) Any Divine entity would realize this.

As far as steam goes, if it shuts down, there will be a patch issued to play offline, or there would be another company to take up the company and maybe rebrand it.

#42 Posted by TerrorRizzing (4185 posts) -

worst case scenario is in 10 years Valve is bankrupt and sells Steam to another company.

Failing that, they'd release a program allowing you to both backup games on your hard drive and burn them onto DVDs.

mrbojangles25
wed be burning to blu-ray by then :)
#43 Posted by takeiteazy3 (743 posts) -

You can play the games in offline mode

Invision299
#44 Posted by chapman86 (583 posts) -

If Steam shut down PC gaming would die. Blizzard alone would not be enough to carry the industry.LiftedHeadshot

Hmm, i actually think that Blizzard would enhance their Battle Net feature to simlar to Steam and start the monopoly. In my opinion, if steam disappear and Blizzard set up a digital store, D2D or Impulse won't be enough to face Blizzard.

#45 Posted by RobertBowen (4094 posts) -

Valve are under no legal obligation to patch any games if the Steam service is discontinued (for whatever reason). They can also cancel your account at any time, with no comeback on them, because it's in the legal mumbo-jumbo that you agreed to when you signed up.

If Valve went bankrupt and the Steam service was bought out by a third party, that third party would also be under no obligation to patch any games to work offline.

Reflexive Games, another digital games service, is shutting down its servers in July, and won't be doing anything to allow people to continue playing games bought through their service. Apparently they promised to do so a couple of years ago, but those promises meant absolutely nothing, because they weren't written into the Terms Of Service.

Valve is exactly the same. They can make all the promises they like, and it means abstolutely nothing, because it is not written into their terms of service to make games playable offline after Steam shuts its virtual doors. As for those saying Steam is unlikely to ever close, I'm sure many people thought the same thing about well known high street stores that hit the wall during the recession. Nothing in business is certain.

Steam is a business like any other, and like any other business if the crap hits the fan, so does your customer support.

#46 Posted by BrickMcStick (103 posts) -

If it shut down (which is beyond unlikely) they would release a patch removing Steam from the gaming equation. If they didn't than modders would. How they would still get games to work online is beyond me but that is what they would do, that is of course, only if the impossible happens.

EDIT: @RobertBowen: You make a strong point, nothing is certain which is why a proper answer to this question is impossible.

#47 Posted by Bros89 (624 posts) -

i lolled at the 2012 people, as much as i lolled at the 2000 people, and before them you had the 1989 people, and before them you had the 1986 people, and before them ...

People are so narcistic they want to see the end of the world.

But the best the'll ever get is the end of their world

planet earth shall live on, only we die, hahahahahaha

Oh and have no fear, because in the end, the world ends for us all...

on topic: steam is growing and growing, so i don't see that happen anytime soon, and i'm pretty sure customer protection services would make sure they make the games run without steam.

#48 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40122 posts) -

ASRCSR

What makes you think you can play the games of today on the PC of 2020?

#50 Posted by Johnny_Rock (40122 posts) -

[QUOTE="Buttons1990"]

[QUOTE="Smithgdwg"]

DanielDust

No... Just no.

If the world ends in 6 years, what the heck do you care about the games left on the PC after you DIE?