What happens if you connect 2 computers with an ethernet cable?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Flavorysoup (677 posts) -

I have been wondoring about this for a while, what happens when you connect two computers with an ethernet cable?

#2 Posted by mike4realz (2564 posts) -
u'll be able to share files :)
#3 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

I think you'd need a crossover cable though, I can't really remember though cuz the last time I did that was like 12 years ago.

#4 Posted by red12355 (1251 posts) -
They explode.
#5 Posted by theshadowhunter (2956 posts) -
They explode.red12355
This. you need a crossover cable, and you can share files and play games with one.
#6 Posted by mike4realz (2564 posts) -

I think you'd need a crossover cable though, I can't really remember though cuz the last time I did that was like 12 years ago.

GummiRaccoon
not really...network adapters nowdays automatically cross over when they detect another network adapter using a regular ethernet cable
#7 Posted by freesafety13 (823 posts) -

I have been wondoring about this for a while, what happens when you connect two computers with an ethernet cable?

Flavorysoup
Babies die.
#8 Posted by Blue-Sky (10314 posts) -

The more practical solution would be to hook them up to the same router and run a home network to share files.

#9 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

mike4realz

not really...network adapters nowdays automatically cross over when they detect another network adapter using a regular ethernet cable

yeah

#10 Posted by danjammer69 (4099 posts) -

Flavorysoup
Pretty much nothing. I am quite certain you need to use a Crossover cable for any actual data transfer.
#11 Posted by silversix_ (13409 posts) -
It goes over 9000 of course, what else?
#12 Posted by KHAndAnime (13090 posts) -
I assume it creates a LAN.
#13 Posted by SLUSHiNaToR (1366 posts) -
[QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

danjammer69
Pretty much nothing. I am quite certain you need to use a Crossover cable for any actual data transfer.

depends on your NIC. Like the other guys said, NIC's nowadays are capable of crossing the data flow over if it needs to.
#14 Posted by danjammer69 (4099 posts) -
[QUOTE="SLUSHiNaToR"][QUOTE="danjammer69"][QUOTE="Flavorysoup"]

depends on your NIC. Like the other guys said, NIC's nowadays are capable of crossing the data flow over if it needs to.

Well how about that!? Oh technology! ;) Cool. That may come in handy for me.
#15 Posted by Silicel1 (2342 posts) -

Flavorysoup

Well a huge demon will spawn and will slaughter all of he little kittens in the world. :))

#16 Posted by kungfool69 (2572 posts) -

used to do this back when i only had a single ort modem router. we used to LAN two PCs together for some supcom action :D

#17 Posted by elessarGObonzo (959 posts) -

how about gaming? is this going to open up LAN type network you could play something like Torchligh 2 with together.

#18 Posted by Horgen (109936 posts) -
They combine their power and you get an ultra fast PC :o [spoiler] Unless it is clear, I am joking [/spoiler]
#19 Posted by kungfool69 (2572 posts) -

was reading this thread to find out WTF, then found my old post!!!!!!!!!!

why do we need this thread anyway? question was answered a few times already.

#20 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -
are the computers turned on?
#21 Posted by kraken2109 (12936 posts) -

Necro thread

#22 Posted by elessarGObonzo (959 posts) -

was reading this thread to find out WTF, then found my old post!!!!!!!!!!

why do we need this thread anyway? question was answered a few times already.

kungfool69
because no one said they knew. all was said was that information could be shared "if it needs to"
#23 Posted by FelipeInside (24966 posts) -

THIS happens

2bwFH.jpg

#24 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13593 posts) -

Flavorysoup

Then you'd have a 2 computer network.

#25 Posted by Klunt_Bumskrint (3331 posts) -

Reminds me of back in the day taking my PC round to my mates house to play Total Annihilation, Age of empires and Forsaken via direct cable connection.

#26 Posted by comp_atkins (31109 posts) -

THIS happens

2bwFH.jpg

FelipeInside
what the hell is a jiggawatt?