What game to play next?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8f94ef38509
deactivated-5d8f94ef38509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d8f94ef38509
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

OK, so, I went a bit crazy during the recent Steam summer sale. Crazy as in "These games are 75% off so if I buy every one that looks vaguely interesting I'll be saving soooo much money!". A bit like a girl armed with Daddy's credit card during a shoe sale.

So now I've probably got more games that I'll ever play. To give you an idea on the games I've liked, the ones I've played in the last few years are the two Dragon Age games (Origins was great, 2 was mediocre but still enjoyable) and the Mass Effect series (I enjoyed all 3 games, and wasn't too upset about the ending of 3). As you may be able to tell, I'm a bit of a Bioware fanboy.

I haven't played that many other modern games as in the last couple of years I've had an unhealthy fascination with Civilization IV. I'm currently trying to rekindle my love of RPG's by playing The Witcher. I'm about 20 hours in and though I prefer party based RPG's I do like the story and setting so far.

Right, so, I've made a shortlist of Steam games that I now own that I think I'd like to play in the not too distant future:

• Anachronox
  • Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY
  • Batman Arkham City GOTY
  • Skyrim Legendary Edition
  • Fallout 3 GOTY
  • Fallout New Vegas Ultimate
  • Galactic Civilizations II (complete)
  • Indigo Prophecy (aka Farenheit)
  • Might& Magic Heroes VI (complete)
  • Mount & Blade (complete)
  • Might & Magic Heroes VI (complete)
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum
  • Of Orcs and Men
  • RAGE
  • Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
  • The Witcher 2 Extended Edition
  • Tomb Raider GOTY

Any advice on which order to play this treasure trove in would be appreciated. I'm trying to get back in to RPG's, though have added Galactic Civilizations II and Heroes VI as wild cards in case they're the best thing since sliced bread. I'm afraid I'll waste hundreds of hours on them though like I did with Civilization IV so I'm a bit wary of getting into another similar game.

As you'll see from my list I do appreciate non-RPG's too as long as the gameplay and story are good. That's why I've added Batman, Tomb Raider and RAGE to the list.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

out of that list.. tomb raider would be my vote...not a massively long game but good fun.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@undeadgoon said:

out of that list.. tomb raider would be my vote...not a massively long game but good fun.

agreed. and i'd say RAGE is in the same boat as well.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

1. Indigo Prophecy

2. Fallout 3 (look into mods)

3. Fallout NV (look into mods)

4.Tomb Raider

5. Skyrim

equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

@Kh1ndjal: rage was fun. That ending though killed it for me. I would tackle the more linear titles like batman tomb raider and rage indigo,as they are all around 10-15 hours or so vs the rpgs which can go on for days.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Fallout 3, NV and Skyrim are huge, even without mods. I hope you have enough free time :D. FO3 would be my pick.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Out of that The Witcher 2 Extended Edition if not played the 1st. I am giving The Witcher enhanced a try and liking it even though full of bugs. I am playing about 1hour and half a night and played for last 3 nights so still way to go and not as complicated as I first thought.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Start with shorter single player games. Rage, tomb raider, batman etc. Save games you think you will get invested into for later

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Don't sleep on those batman games. The series has been one of the top games of the previous generation.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Stick with a short game and you mention tombraider?. The newer one is quite long.

CaptainNimoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 CaptainNimoy
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Go for Risen series, the new sequel is coming soon...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8f94ef38509
deactivated-5d8f94ef38509

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d8f94ef38509
Member since 2004 • 27 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback.

I take your points about playing one or two shorter games before getting into another sprawling RPG. Tomb Raider seems to be the most popular choice and I have been interested in it since first seeing the trailers. Yes, it's the newest Tomb Raider I have.

As for RPG's, I had been thinking of playing Fallout 3 next to contrast against the fantasy RPG I am currently playing, plus it seems to be a popular choice here. Which mods would you recommend I install as a completely new player? Wanderers Edition seems to be one of the most popular but I'm not sure I want to ramp up the difficulty without having played the basic game yet. FOOK2 could be a viable alternative but I loved the first two Fallout games and from feedback I've seen this mod doesn't necessarily stick to the spirit of the Fallout series. I'm tempted to just go with Fallout 3 Redesigned as it improves the graphics but doesn't mess with the gameplay.