What game is better Witcher 1 or Witcher 2 --- Graphics aside

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Debating on whether to playthrough witcher 1 before I start on 2.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

Witcher 2 is much more enjoyable for me

As much as I loved Witcher 1, I A.) never finished it, because B.) I found it as frustrating as it was enjoyable :P

I am sure I am missing out on something having not finished Witcher 1, but the possibility is not stopping me from enjoying Witcher 2

jakerinobino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jakerinobino
Member since 2010 • 119 Posts

Personally I preferred the Witcher 2

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Witcher 1 is better if you ask me.

Witcher 2 has a lot of weird design decisions and the story was waaaay too political for my taste.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

My take Witcher 2 - Better combat, graphics, story, added game-play elements Witcher - Better atmosphere, artistic visuals , soundtrack, longer Overall, The Witcher 2.

Play trough the first one first, it's worth it to play the series from the beginning. One of the top tier RPGs this gen for sure.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Couldn't get into The Witcher 1 but the second one was great for me.

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the environments more in the first game, but overall I liked witcher 2 more. I just wish it was as long as the first one

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Witcher 2. Witcher 1 is tedious and has terrible combat system.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Witcher 2 is much more enjoyable for me

As much as I loved Witcher 1, I A.) never finished it, because B.) I found it as frustrating as it was enjoyable :P

I am sure I am missing out on something having not finished Witcher 1, but the possibility is not stopping me from enjoying Witcher 2

mrbojangles25
Well, I just loaded in a Level 39 save from TW1 into TW2, and you get some extras - your swords, armor, and a nice chunk of change instead of being near-broke. Still irks me though that the swords and armor don't carry the same stats as they did in TW1, one month goes by from 1 to 2, and Geralt forgets darn near everything. *sigh*
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Also, did anyone find it really annoying that the level cap is 35 in The Witcher 2? I hit it a little early before the end and wasn't able to fully spec out my character in the way I wanted.

bluetadomonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bluetadomonk
Member since 2011 • 449 Posts
witcher 1 bring back the card minigame :(
Tresca_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tresca_
Member since 2008 • 869 Posts

The Witcher 1 for me. Still enjoyed the sequel though.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I prefer the first but both are great games, the second one is a lot more action packed which is good but they messed up with the potion usage and let the pace down for me at least.

VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Witcher 1 because it didn't have any consolitus. 2nd has was designed for consoles in mind way too much.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

I thought that the first game had a bit more charm, if only because it was slower-paced and had a much more peaceful atmosphere to it all...but The Witcher 2 is mostly superior overall. Just about every unpolished feature from the first game was improved on in the second.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

The Witcher 2 is way more better than Witcher 1

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Overall, The Witcher 1. The atmosphere, environments, and just the whole feeling of TW1 made me fall in love with the series. TW2 took another path and cut out that dark fantasy world that attracted me to The Witcher in the first place. The Witcher 2 does some things right like the combat but the first one felt more true to the books and lore.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Also, did anyone find it really annoying that the level cap is 35 in The Witcher 2? I hit it a little early before the end and wasn't able to fully spec out my character in the way I wanted.

JangoWuzHere
Thanks for the heads-up on the level cap. Maybe if enough of us complain on the GoG forum, they'll patch it. It worked for Borderlands.:D
chriscoolguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chriscoolguy
Member since 2011 • 729 Posts

Getting witcher 1 today, then when I buy new pc in nov ill get withcer 2. Im getting texturen mod now, any other good mods out there to make the game better?? I dont think theres a lighting/hdr mod is there?

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
The first game had much better story.
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

The 2nd one is better, but you should still play through the 1st one anyway.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
The second one is better, but I still think the first one had a better story and length.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Witcher 2 all parts considered. But like ME1 and ME2, I felt the first game(s) had the stronger story and flow, but the second game improved on virtually everything. That said play Witcher 1. You will like Wticher 2 more afterwards.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Witcher 2 is better but Witcher 1 is fantastic.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
The Witcher 1 - the narrative is more cohesive and involving. Its a much more interesting mystery, rather than an overload of exposition. The combat is also far more balanced. Even as a hub world I found the first game superior because it has more memorable side characters and details in its villages.
with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#26 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

My take Witcher 2 - Better combat, graphics, story, added game-play elements Witcher - Better atmosphere, artistic visuals , soundtrack, longer Overall, The Witcher 2.

Play trough the first one first, it's worth it to play the series from the beginning. One of the top tier RPGs this gen for sure.

GeneralShowzer

this more or less sums up my opinion, although I thought the artistic visuals were better in TW 2. Overall the best looking game i've ever played.

Adam_the_Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Adam_the_Nerd
Member since 2006 • 4403 Posts

Both have great voice acting. Both have excellent sound design and music. Both have bugs! Both have fantastic community support.

Witcher 1 had a pretty neat main quest and each chapter had an excellent story arc and solid lore. The sidequests were boring; "kill x" "fetch this" "talk to this guy". The combat had interesting elements, but was too easy, even on the highest difficulty setting.

Witcher 2 has an even more engaging main quest. The best part are the sidequests though. They actually have stories and various outcomes. Not just a wall of text or some character begging you to "save his home" by "killing lots of rats". There are amazing plots inspired by the short stories of the games. And these are just the sidequests. The combat is fun and relatively challenging. The quality of voice acting definitely went up in this game. The slick new graphics are icing on the cake.

In summation:

The Witcher 1 was a great game - a breath of fresh air to the tired, cliche storytelling of most modern RPGS.

The Witcher 2 took great and made it perfect.

Cobretti1818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cobretti1818
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts

Overall...hmmm....I don't kow if I can pick one over the other.

TW1 was a breathe of fresh air into a stale RPG room. It was lively, dark, different and very much fun to play. It had a great main quest, excellent characters and just put you in situations other games didn't.

TW2 continues to improve on the TW1, but does also make some changes. The graphics are amazing, and the combat much more interactive. It once again has an excellent cast of characters, but I find the main storyline (esp. ACT 2) a little boring and way too political - I like personal storylines the best. Don't know why but TW1 just feels more like a full on RPG more so than TW2.

In summary, both games are awesome and deserve a playthough, and isn't it only natural to play 1 before 2?

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
i can't pick one between the two. the combat in the witcher 2 is better than the first, but it took me half as long to beat it. if it was as long as the witcher one, i'd probably pick that as the better game.