what does memory clock do? (gpu)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

unrealplaya55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 unrealplaya55
Member since 2007 • 1278 Posts
im oc'ing right now. whats memory clock?should i leave it at stock?
mahlerite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mahlerite
Member since 2006 • 543 Posts

it's just the random access memory dedicated for video. i wouldn't leave it at its default setting. when you overclock, only tweak one facet of the GPU at a time so when you start seeing visual artifacts or experience screen freezes, you know which facet needs to be decreased.

also, increase your clock speeds by increments of about 5-10MHz and then test every time before overclocking it more. crysis is a nice benchmark utility as is 3dmark.

Spartan8907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Spartan8907
Member since 2006 • 3731 Posts

it's just the random access memory dedicated for video. i wouldn't leave it at its default setting. when you overclock, only tweak one facet of the GPU at a time so when you start seeing visual artifacts or experience screen freezes, you know which facet needs to be decreased.

also, increase your clock speeds by increments of about 5-10MHz and then test every time before overclocking it more. crysis is a nice benchmark utility as is 3dmark.

mahlerite
I say use 3dmark and watch your score go up.
mahlerite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mahlerite
Member since 2006 • 543 Posts

i looked up your GPU by the way to see what other users have done with this card.

people are reaching:

675-740MHz for the core clock

970-1000MHz for the memory clock

and one guy told about his shader overclock of 1720MHz

there's also software out there called atitool (don't know if you know about it) that scans for artifacts. if you start seeing yellow dots or lines with that program, it's a sign to decrease one of your settings.

good luck.

SearchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SearchMaster
Member since 2005 • 7243 Posts

yeah AtiTool is really helpful tool for scanning. Ive used it once when i OC'ed my 7800.