What do you think: AMD is it Good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by EVGAmaniac (27 posts) -

AMD FX 4100"3.6 Ghz going to overclock it 4.5"

ASUS M5A97 R2.0

HIS Radeon HD 7850 "IceQ Turbo"

G.Skill RipJawX "8GB 1600MHz"

WD Caviar Blue "1TB 7200rpm 64MB SATAIII"

Cooler Master GX Lite Black "600W 86% verified"

Cooler Master Elite 430 "Black"

So guys what do you think is it worth getting the i3 for 12 "euros" more or is the FX 4100 better for gaming games like:

Dirt3 Crysis2 Battlefield3 GTA5 AssCreed3

Hitman4 FarCry3 SSX MaxPayne3

MetalGearSolidRising DayZ CodMW2

I saw guys max out most of these games exept Crysis2 GTA5 those two can I max out other games or atleast

play them on medium/high settings+do I need a CPU fan cus i think I do and if wich one should i get cus im on a budget?

#2 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (994 posts) -

scrap the 560 ti and get a HD 7850

#3 Posted by naz99 (1541 posts) -

scrap the 560 ti and get a HD 7850

ClassicRockFTW

Agreed, the 7850 is the way to go at that price, plus it comes with farcry 3

#4 Posted by adamosmaki (9691 posts) -
since you Oc i'd say AMD Also like others said 7850 is better for the price ( Far cry 3 free and consumes less power )
#5 Posted by EVGAmaniac (27 posts) -
Yes i did scrap the 560Ti and replaced it with a 7850. And about Far Cry 3 i dont think it comes with the 7850 in my country (Slovenia thats in Europe).
#6 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (994 posts) -

Yes i did scrap the 560Ti and replaced it with a 7850. And about Far Cry 3 i dont think it comes with the 7850 in my country (Slovenia thats in Europe).EVGAmaniac

you're still getting a better card.

Yeah I dont think Far Cry 3 extends to europe

#7 Posted by EVGAmaniac (27 posts) -

Yes ok I think we've cleared all about the GPU but my real question is can i max out these games if not can i atleast play them 40fps+ on medium/high?

My other question is do i need a CPU fan when i overclock it aswell?

And the final is is the zambezi better than i3 2120?

THX Again!

#8 Posted by ClassicRockFTW (994 posts) -

Yes ok I think we've cleared all about the GPU but my real question is can i max out these games if not can i atleast play them 40fps+ on medium/high?

THX Again!

EVGAmaniac

Yeah you can max out any game easily.

You dont need a new fan per se but an after market cooler is usually better than the stock

#9 Posted by MaskedPlayer (979 posts) -

[QUOTE="EVGAmaniac"]Yes i did scrap the 560Ti and replaced it with a 7850. And about Far Cry 3 i dont think it comes with the 7850 in my country (Slovenia thats in Europe).ClassicRockFTW

The UK is in Europe and you get far cry 3 if you order.
#10 Posted by adamosmaki (9691 posts) -
[QUOTE="ClassicRockFTW"]

[QUOTE="EVGAmaniac"]Yes i did scrap the 560Ti and replaced it with a 7850. And about Far Cry 3 i dont think it comes with the 7850 in my country (Slovenia thats in Europe).MaskedPlayer

The UK is in Europe and you get far cry 3 if you order.

its extent to France/Uk/Germany/Romania/sweeden and poland so you might wanna look to order online from online retailers based on those countries
#11 Posted by kraken2109 (13127 posts) -

THX Again!

EVGAmaniac
If you want to get 4.5ghz you will need an aftermarket cooler.
#12 Posted by EVGAmaniac (27 posts) -

[QUOTE="EVGAmaniac"]

THX Again!

kraken2109

Ok i get when i overclock it to 4.5 i'l need an aftermarket cooler but if i don't overclock it can i still max out games or must i play it on medium/high ?

#13 Posted by adamosmaki (9691 posts) -

[QUOTE="kraken2109"][QUOTE="EVGAmaniac"]

THX Again!

EVGAmaniac

Ok i get when i overclock it to 4.5 i'l need an aftermarket cooler but if i don't overclock it can i still max out games or must i play it on medium/high ?

most games yes since they are dependent on Gpu mostly rather Cpu but there are a few Cpu bound games ( not much though ) you will probably have to lower a few details at that Cpu's default clock
#14 Posted by ionusX (25716 posts) -

you can get a phenom II x4 for cheaper or an fx-4300

#15 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
Looks good to me. I love the HIS IceQ model cards. I have two IceQ 6870s and they've been efficient, and reliable. I want to get a single 7970 but I haven't seen a IceQ model for that series. I seen a HIs brand , just not IceQ . Not so sure about the fx4100 but I assume it should be fine.
#16 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
[QUOTE="EVGAmaniac"]

THX Again!

kraken2109

Indeed. I was able to get my 6100 to 4.0ghz easily with my Thermeltake Performer 2.0. I keep it at 3.8 though.
#17 Posted by jakes456 (1437 posts) -

terrible CPU. You are basically throwing away your money with that purchase.

#18 Posted by superclocked (5834 posts) -

jakes456
Do you work for Intel? In the short time that I've been back on the forums, all that I've seen you post is anti-AMD, pro-Intel rhetoric...
#19 Posted by kraken2109 (13127 posts) -
[QUOTE="jakes456"]

superclocked
Do you work for Intel? In the short time that I've been back on the forums, all that I've seen you post is anti-AMD, pro-Intel rhetoric...

He trolls every board on the forum basically.
#20 Posted by Elann2008 (32991 posts) -

you can get a phenom II x4 for cheaper or an fx-4300

ionusX
This. The FX-4100 isn't very good even when overclocked. You're throwing your money away. Grab a phenom II x4 for $100.
#21 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
[QUOTE="jakes456"]

superclocked

Sadly superclocked we have 3 bad fanboys on the boards nowadays. Jakes like to trash anything that isnt Intel, inousX likes to trash anything that isnt AMD, and Gummi...well he just likes to be an ass to people 90% of the time.
#22 Posted by EVGAmaniac (27 posts) -

So guys i took your advice and made this change and i have three questions at the end:

SPECS

AMD Phenom II X4 965 "Black Edition

HIS Radeon HD 7850 IceQ X Turbo 2048MB GDDR 5 PCI-Express 16x

ASUS M5A97 PRO

G.Skill PC3-12800 "RipJawsX" KIT 8192MB 1600 MHz DDR III

Western Digital WD10EZEX "Caviar® Blue" 1000GB 7200RPM 64MB Serial ATA III

Cooler Master "Gamer Xtreme" 550W

And some S h I t Y case but it has alot of fans so i'm actually pleased.

First Question: Is this enough to max out any game out there or will I have to get another better CPU?

Second Question: The motherboard is a AM3+ socket so is it compatible the CPU and the MOBO?

Third Question: If I overclock it very high do I need a aftermarket fan cause if I do I already have one?

THX Again!

#23 Posted by MaskedPlayer (979 posts) -

So guys i took your advice and made this change and i have three questions at the end:

SPECS

ASUS M5A97 PRO

First Question: Is this enough to max out any game out there or will I have to get another better CPU?

Second Question: The motherboard is a AM3+ socket so is it compatible the CPU and the MOBO?

Third Question: If I overclock it very high do I need a aftermarket fan cause if I do I already have one?

THX Again!

EVGAmaniac
That set up is brilliant.It will run any game on ultra. Yep the socket is AM3 I think I google searched it. Yep you always need an aftermarket cooler for overclocking.The stock cooler on the phenom sucks anyway apparently its very loud. Btw whats your case.You will regret it when your case has terrible cable management,airflow and space.The fans included with the case might be crap. I recommended the CoolerMaster 690 II.
#24 Posted by kraken2109 (13127 posts) -

SPECS

ASUS M5A97 PRO

THX Again!

EVGAmaniac
Don't buy a crap case, you'll come to regret it.
#25 Posted by MaskedPlayer (979 posts) -

Also get a 650W if you want to upgrade in the future.

#26 Posted by djdarkforces (810 posts) -

SPECS

ASUS M5A97 PRO

THX Again!

EVGAmaniac

looks pretty good

#27 Posted by superclocked (5834 posts) -
[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

V4LENT1NE

Sadly superclocked we have 3 bad fanboys on the boards nowadays. Jakes like to trash anything that isnt Intel, inousX likes to trash anything that isnt AMD, and Gummi...well he just likes to be an ass to people 90% of the time.

Yeah, I was familiar with Gummi and ionusX, but I've never had any disagreements with Gummi personally. And ionusX seems to just post alot of pro-AMD stuff. But Jakes is hardcore anti-AMD / pro-Intel, alot more so than anyone else from what I've seen. I have seen an informative post or 2 from him, but 99% of the time, it seems like he is just saying that AMD sucks and Intel rules all. No offense btw Jakes, it was just an honest observation and question...
#28 Posted by V4LENT1NE (12895 posts) -
[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="superclocked"]Do you work for Intel? In the short time that I've been back on the forums, all that I've seen you post is anti-AMD, pro-Intel rhetoric...superclocked

Yeah, I was familiar with Gummi and ionusX, but I've never had any disagreements with Gummi personally. And ionusX seems to just post alot of pro-AMD stuff. But Jakes is hardcore anti-AMD / pro-Intel, alot more so than anyone else from what I've seen. I have seen an informative post or 2 from him, but 99% of the time, it seems like he is just saying that AMD sucks and Intel rules all. No offense btw Jakes, it was just an honest observation and question...

ionusX now does the exact same thing Jakes does except in the PC Games board with WoW. Soon as there is a thread about it he jumps in there, bashes WoW and says they should buy GW2. He posted stuff about WoW losing subs and the new expansion doing well, then the real news story's came out and he was wrong in both parts and had just posted the storys to make WoW look bad. Also as soon as the expansion hit he made a thread about how the leveling was really short and the game had no content, but if he had actually read his own news story he would have realized it was a guy who leveled fast used a bug. When numerous people called him out on it he did vanished from the thread. I dont get why he does things like that to be honest but hey if he wants to act like that then so be it, but when I see him doing it I call him out on it often, usually just doesn't reply and leaves the thread for good. He has even once said I was cyber bullying him for calling him out on it and said he would tell a mod rofl. I ended up talking to a mod and there was nothing he could do about it, if he is going to post bias stuff trashing things for no reason I am doing nothing wrong calling him out on it. I have never lied or said anything personal to him, but if he is going to make stuff up then I will challenge him about it.
#29 Posted by kraken2109 (13127 posts) -
[QUOTE="V4LENT1NE"][QUOTE="superclocked"]Do you work for Intel? In the short time that I've been back on the forums, all that I've seen you post is anti-AMD, pro-Intel rhetoric...superclocked

Jakes is just a troll, look at his posting history from multiple boards.
#30 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
[QUOTE="superclocked"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

V4LENT1NE

Yeah, I just found that out about Gummi. He's usually been pretty straight from what I've seen, but he can be a prick I posted a topic asking about Raid and what it's uses we're , and while waiting for replies I decided to toy around with it myself, and totally jacked up some settings. He replied that I was slow or ignorant for messing with something I had no knowledge of. While I was foolish for jumping the gun and thinking I could figure it out myself, I don't think it warranted his comments. Meh, it's the Internet, and you'll get those people who like to be jerks to others for no apparent reason. I can't be that way. Not in life or the Internet.