What do you do with your old hardware?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I have a Gigabyte gtx 670 I'm wanting to sell. None of my friends are needing an upgrade at the moment and I have not sold anything on ebay in years. Not sure what to do with it...it's a great card and has been kept in a very clean case with good cool temps. I'll let it go for $125 if you pay shipping...I'm just trying to recoup some of what I just spent on my upgrade.

What do you guys do with your stuff after an upgrade? Any ideas for me because I don't want it to sit in a box......

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I norm

@BSC14 said:

I have a Gigabyte gtx 670 I'm wanting to sell. None of my friends are needing an upgrade at the moment and I have not sold anything on ebay in years. Not sure what to do with it...it's a great card and has been kept in a very clean case with good cool temps. I'll let it go for $125 if you pay shipping...I'm just trying to recoup some of what I just spent on my upgrade.

What do you guys do with your stuff after an upgrade? Any ideas for me because I don't want it to sit in a box......

I normally upgrade my parents or sell it to friends. If not, I go straight to eBay.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

i like to save my hardware. I still have my very first GPU a voodoo 2. Of course other than sentimental reasons is good to always have some backup parts in case something breaks on your pc

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Well if it gets to old and no one wants it any more. There are a lot of e-waste company's that will send you a box and pay for shipping.

But if you have some thing still valuable and no one local wants it... Just stick it on an action site and set it at $1 starting bid. What ever it ends up at... Is the true value.

quikdash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 quikdash6
Member since 2004 • 480 Posts

Craigslist. Yeah it can seem a bit sketchy sometimes, but I've never had a problem with a sale.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

We use a site called Kijiji. But any free classifieds site will do the trick. Though me personally, I'd save the old parts and over time build a second rig with left over parts from old computers that are selling for cheap, for the ability to LAN and have a separate system for others to use so as to not **** up yours.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

I keep most of my old parts, generally for a backup purpose should something break, but for doing hand-me-downs to family.

5 years back I handed down my Athlon x2 5800 Brisbane chip, MB, RAM and 8800 GTS 640MB GPU to my younger brother - he had a shady PSU and kept the tower tucked in an enclosed section of his desk and the PSU went....taking the MB, RAM and CPU with it....

Now that I moved from the Phenom II x4 940 to an i5-4670k, I built my 6 year old daughter a computer with the Phenom II, a spare 320GB HDD, 4GB DDR2 and picked up a GT 730 for the GPU so she can watch videos and play Track Mania2 (as long as she behaves and asks permission to play).

Long story short, I generally keep my old hardware for hand-me-downs. I have sold a few things, but mostly leftovers sit in my closet until they're needed for someone else in the family. Right now I've got a Cooler Master V8 and Evo 212+, 4GB DDR2, GTX 280, an old IDE DVD-R from about 12 years back, a couple of older Sound Blaster audio cards (one has a DB9 - I think it's DB9 - port on it that my Gravis Game Pad can plug into), an old AGP GPU (think it's a FX 5200 - I'd have to double check) and a couple other things that'll probably never be used again.....I just can't throw them away.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I keep some. Others I give away. I gave away my HD 5770 and GTX 560 Ti to friends who can make use of them. I also gave away my old Athlon II X2 270 CPU and mobo (RAM included).

My old ASUS A7M266 mobo and AMD Athlon XP 1700+ I kept. I'm now using it to assemble a retro Win 98 PC. I'm using and old AGP FX5200 and 4gb IDE hard drive and CD writer.

I still have my Phenom II X3 720BE as a spare PC. I'll probably make it my retro Win XP PC.

Other hardware such as my 8600 GT and Celeron dualcore are still being used.

I still have cards such as Hauppage WinTV PCI and SB Audigy. I just keep them for keepsake.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

i use old hardware for spare parts or put it in a test system. if they have little value i just give them away.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Some other stuff I keep around are PS/2 keyboard and mouse. The PS/2 keyboard is especially handy should there be BIOS problems because often times the USB ports may not work, making USB keyboards unusable.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

i sell it or recycle it in the case of really old stuff.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127502 Posts

Once I upgrade my gpu I will use my current one for folding.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Craigslist. I sold a bundle including a case, mobo, HDD, and a stick of RAM to some dude the other day. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I give it away... Do you have any friends or teenage relatives?... Give it to them.

zaku101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By zaku101
Member since 2005 • 4641 Posts

@BSC14 said:

I'll give you $100 & pay for shipping...

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@zaku101:

sold and shipped already. :)

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

unless its really old and junk I'll keep it, for either spares or to build another system down the line.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

My old hardware is usually dead. I usually use my stuff until it dies. I usually never upgrade.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

My hand-me-down parts go from:

Main rig > HTPC in living room > friends/family > garbage

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Save the video cards as backup. I've had to RMA hardware plenty of times in the past and it's damn handy having a backup

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#22 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I keep old hardware around to test other pcs if i need to. I don't really have the motivation to sell anything cause I don't think it'd be worth my time.

Also if its not that out dated i'll use it to upgrade someones pc for free. But mostly I keep all hardware as things to test other pcs if i have a problem with.... its really hard to test your PC for problems if you have no alternative hardware to use in its place.

I recently have a 680 gtx now just sitting around and no place for it... no clue if it'd be worth selling or keeping as backup. I may just toss out an old ati 5970 i have in an older pc and put the 680 in its place.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

I usually sell it for real cheap. I just sold a GTX 690 on ebay for $400. I currently have a i7 3770K and a Gigabyte UP7 mobo that I'm not using but I may build a "1080p" rig and hook it up to my T.V. that all my current gen consoles are on. I have over 64 GB of DDR3 that I'm not using too. I can only use 32 on that spare mobo so who knows what I will do with it.