H20Dynamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By H20Dynamo
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

Hey guys, whats your favorite competitive free 2 play game? Preferably not an fps. I love Fps's but I've seen most of the F2P fps games, and I'm not really impressed. I do play TF2 a lot though. If you could, please put any genre though. I want to know a good f2p in any of the genres i.e. moba, rts, mmorpg, etc.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Quake Live is on steam.

Archage just went f2p, don't really like it, but you may.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@H20Dynamo said:

Hey guys, whats your favorite competitive free 2 play game? Preferably not an fps. I love Fps's but I've seen most of the F2P fps games, and I'm not really impressed. I do play TF2 a lot though. If you could, please put any genre though. I want to know a good f2p in any of the genres i.e. moba, rts, mmorpg, etc.

Quake Live

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

LoL\Dota2

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

DOTA 2 is competitive, fun, and free. It's up your alley.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

LoL\Dota2

@KHAndAnime said:

This. Nothing even comes close to DotA 2 and LoL. DotA 2 is better because everything is absolutely free without the need to unlock anything plus it just has deeper and more complex gameplay.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

TF2

cybercrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cybercrime
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Racing: Need for speed world

MMORPG: RO2 and now trying the new server of Rohan, Isen

Mobile: Cytus, Brave Frontier, Real Racing 3

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JigglyWiggly_

@saintsatan said:

@MonsieurX said:

LoL\Dota2

@KHAndAnime said:

This. Nothing even comes close to DotA 2 and LoL. DotA 2 is better because everything is absolutely free without the need to unlock anything plus it just has deeper and more complex gameplay.

Loading Video...

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintSatan

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@saintsatan said:

@MonsieurX said:

LoL\Dota2

@KHAndAnime said:

Loading Video...

Joking aside Quake requires nothing but fast reflexes and memorization of respawns. Deeper games like MOBAs are way more competitive because there's a bajllion times more things to learn than in first person shooters and they require fast reflexes and thinking. This is why MOBAs dominant Twitch and first person shooters are pretty much completely dead now. I think the biggest Quake tournament this year was $10,000 and hardly had any viewers? Compare that to DotAs $10,000,000 and New York City's Madison Square Garden getting sold out.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

CS:GO.
Edit: oops, didn't notice you said f2p. But CS always drop to $5 in every sale, and it's really good.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
@saintsatan said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@saintsatan said:

@MonsieurX said:

LoL\Dota2

@KHAndAnime said:

Joking aside Quake requires nothing but fast reflexes and memorization of respawns. Deeper games like MOBAs are way more competitive because there's a bajllion times more things to learn than in first person shooters and they require fast reflexes and thinking. This is why MOBAs dominant Twitch and first person shooters are pretty much completely dead now. I think the biggest Quake tournament this year was $10,000 and hardly had any viewers? Compare that to DotAs $10,000,000 and New York City's Madison Square Garden getting sold out.

That just isn't true. First of all it would be silly to even compare the mechanical requirements of the players in quake and mobas. Mobas you don't need good coordination. You need really good communication skills and prediction.

Quake Live is a very personal game. There is a big emphasis on 1v1 regardless of gametype. (1v1 clan arena and the duel gametype). 1v1 is not fun to most people and turns people away from the game. Mobas are team focused, this lets people play at any time even if they are feeling sick or something. In QL you probably will not want to even bother launching the game if you are feeling off.

(Clan arena is usually team based 3v3-4v4 with no respawns, starting with 200/100 and round based)

You can argue that clan is all aim and positioning, but If you want to talk about strategy, then Quake live duel isn't really mechanically challenging other than the platforming. You have to memorize spawns obviously, but the absolute most important thing is to be able to add 25+35. You don't need good aim to be good in QL duel because it's all about the items. e.g if you vs a dueler 1v1 in clan arena they will usually always get demolished... which is fine, Quake Live isn't just one gametype.

Also I hope you realize that Quake live is basically quake 3, which is a 15 year old game. That's very successful tournament wise considering how old the game is.

One of the big reasons mobas are popular is because they don't require a lot of mechanical skill. In Quake if you vs a good player and you don't know what you are doing, you'll just die over and over. You won't feel like you are learning anything. In mobas every game starts out slow and you feel like you have a chance.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SaintSatan

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@saintsatan said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@saintsatan said:

@MonsieurX said:

LoL\Dota2

@KHAndAnime said:

That just isn't true. First of all it would be silly to even compare the mechanical requirements of the players in quake and mobas. Mobas you don't need good coordination. You need really good communication skills and prediction.

Besides aiming, the most important thing is positioning in QL clan arena. There are no respawns in this mode. Positioning is so important in CA, as it dramatically makes aiming easier and prevents you from taking damage. To be good at this you need to think quickly and have good platforming skills.

If you want to talk about strategy, then Quake live duel isn't really mechanically challenging other than the platforming. You have to memorize spawns obviously, but the absolute most important thing is to be able to add 25+35. You don't need good aim to be good in QL duel because it's all about the items. e.g if you vs a dueler 1v1 in clan arena they will usually always get demolished... which is fine, Quake Live isn't just one gametype.

Also I hope you realize that Quake live is basically quake 3, which is a 15 year old game. That's very successful tournament wise considering how old the game is.

One of the big reasons mobas are popular is because they don't require a lot of mechanical skill. It's not fun to just get demolished in any Quake because if you vs a good player and you don't know what you're doing, you will just die over and over. In mobas there is at least a period of time before you lose.

And what you're saying just isn't true either. MOBAs require a ton of mechanical skill. There's skills, useable items, and micro for certain heroes like Meepo, Chen, Enchantress, Terrorblade, Naga, ect. Certain heroes require complex button presses and timing ie: Puck, Tinker. I played Quake 3 the day it came out and I played QL for 5+ years. It was successful but it hasn't been in years, the game is practically dead which is why I stopped playing. Even the pro scene is pretty much in the grave now. Releasing it on Steam did absolutely nothing because there are far better free games to play like Team Fortress 2. Time to move on from such old games or at least give it an update/overhaul like DotA got. Hopefully DOOM 4 will have a decent multiplayer that will make Q3 go away.

tl;dr Quake was once an amazing game but it's not anymore.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@saintsatan said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@saintsatan said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@saintsatan said:

@MonsieurX said:

LoL\Dota2

@KHAndAnime said:

Besides aiming, the most important thing is positioning in QL clan arena. There are no respawns in this mode. Positioning is so important in CA, as it dramatically makes aiming easier and prevents you from taking damage. To be good at this you need to think quickly and have good platforming skills.

If you want to talk about strategy, then Quake live duel isn't really mechanically challenging other than the platforming. You have to memorize spawns obviously, but the absolute most important thing is to be able to add 25+35. You don't need good aim to be good in QL duel because it's all about the items. e.g if you vs a dueler 1v1 in clan arena they will usually always get demolished... which is fine, Quake Live isn't just one gametype.

One of the big reasons mobas are popular is because they don't require a lot of mechanical skill. It's not fun to just get demolished in any Quake because if you vs a good player and you don't know what you're doing, you will just die over and over. In mobas there is at least a period of time before you lose.

And what you're saying just isn't true either. MOBAs require a ton of mechanical skill. There's skills, useable items, and micro for certain heroes like Meepo, Chen, Enchantress, Terrorblade, Naga, ect. Certain heroes require complex button presses and timing ie: Puck, Tinker. I played Quake 3 the day it came out and I played QL for 5+ years. It was successful but it hasn't been in years, the game is practically dead which is why I stopped playing. Even the pro scene is pretty much in the grave now. Releasing it on Steam did absolutely nothing because there are far better free games to play like Team Fortress 2. Time to move on from such old games or at least give it an update/overhaul like DotA got. Hopefully DOOM 4 will have a decent multiplayer that will make Q3 go away.

tl;dr Quake was once an amazing game but it's not anymore.

Objection

There's always a pro scene if I'm playing 1v1 CA (or Extremerz). If you are Yuro, then I guess you'll have to make due with He4rTL3sS.

No mechanical skills aren't important in DOTA 2 aren't important. You see people who have no place in RTS (mouse + micro) and bad at shooters doing very well often in the game.

Obviously at the highest level the players have good mechanics but that's only at the highest level.

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning doto, when if you want to talk about mechanics play SC Brood War or SC2. Although I prefer AOM over SC2 due to the variety of situations in the game. SC2 is a lot more linear.

I personally don't like MOBAs as they are too slow but w/e.