Welcome to why so many people campaigned against Evolve

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

not even 1 day on the market and already:

yes many games have done this in the past..... no... no other game will be doing DLC to the extent that you will see in Evolve. I feel bad for all the suckers that bought this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

For once I'm with you.

This DLC behavior is the cancer of PC gaming.

Each to their own I guess, but more fool to those who line the pockets of these devs.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

For once I'm with you.

Each to their own I guess, but more fool to those who line the pockets of these devs.

Cancer of gaming. Let's not forget this affects console games, too.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I wonder what the whole game ends up costing. $150ish?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962

@JustPlainLucas: Yeah, all this paid dlc stuff seems to be more prevalent on PC.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#6  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

As I was commenting in the review thread, I have no issue at all with single-player DLC as long as it wasn't cut prior to launch and sold day-one. Games like ME2/3, Borderlands series, etc. I will buy the story DLC I want and not buy the stuff I don't. But this crap of releasing MP-only games that are built around a micro-trans/DLC model where content was actually cut just to sell back later has to stop (I call COMPLETE BS on Turtle Rock saying that the other hunters aren't finished yet).

Plus the fact that only positive reviews are being released early/day-one screams embargo. The ones that are giving it 5 and 6 out of 10 because of the DLC/pre-order/season pass nonsense are being held back to rope in the rubes.

When you state 6 months before launch that your game was built from the ground up as a glorified DLC distribution platform then you should expect a significant (and well deserved) amount of pushback from consumers.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

Wow.....they're selling skin packs. I don't see them selling different weapons or playable characters or maps or anything else that changes the impact of how the game is played. If you don't want to spend money on how your character can look or how his/her weapons look, then don't.

Right now they're selling skins. Big whoop if you ask me.

Once they start selling new characters, weapons or maps that can hinder your gaming experience, then you have something to be annoyed with.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

Wow.....they're selling skin packs. I don't see them selling different weapons or playable characters or maps or anything else that changes the impact of how the game is played. If you don't want to spend money on how your character can look or how his/her weapons look, then don't.

4 new hunters and 2 new monsters will be released in the next few months. If you didn't pre-order you have to pay for one of the new monsters at $15. If you don't buy the season pass each of the hunters is $7. All of which was cut content so they could sell it back as DLC.

EDIT: and on a side note, I would like to point out that is is EXACTLY what it looks like when an FPS developer/publisher tries to grab the monetization model of a MOBA and take it for a spin. Expect to see more of this garbage - characters as paid DLC - in the future. Do not support these a**holes by giving them money or they will just keep doing it.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@SerOlmy said:

@neatfeatguy said:

4 new hunters and 2 new monsters will be released in the next few months. If you didn't pre-order you have to pay for one of the new monsters at $15. If you don't buy the season pass each of the hunters is $7. All of which was cut content so they could sell it back as DLC.

EDIT: and on a side note, I would like to point out that is is EXACTLY what it looks like when an FPS developer/publisher tries to grab the monetization model of a MOBA and take it for a spin. Expect to see more of this garbage - characters as paid DLC - in the future. Do not support these a**holes by giving them money or they will just keep doing it.

You can certainly be annoyed by it, but it doesn't prevent you from playing the game. Just do what you should be doing - avoid buying the game (as you suggested) to slap them in the face for their decision.....

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58941 Posts

Made a thread about the same thing the other day.

It's micro-transactions. On launch. You could see from the start the intent was to **** the consumer over as much as humanly possible.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58941 Posts

@neatfeatguy said:

Right now they're selling skins. Big whoop if you ask me.

Once they start selling new characters, weapons or maps that can hinder your gaming experience, then you have something to be annoyed with.

I remember when I complained about games being £34.99. Big whoop. Then it was £39.99. Big whoop. Then it was £44.99. Big Whoop. Then it was £49.99. Big Whoop. Then it was £59.99. Big Whoop. All within the space of 2 years.

Then we have preorder incentives. "It's just a skin". Big Whoop. Then it was maps. Big Whoop. Then it quests. Big Whoop. Then it was classes and mounts. Big Whoop.

All: already made, withheld and resold separately at a later date. Big Whoop.

Then other games. Complained when World Of Warcraft was selling mounts for "charity". Big Whoop. Then they decided to add a shop selling mounts: for them and them alone, with armour, skins on top of a £39.99 + £9.99 a month price tag. Big Whoop.

Big whoopity whoop whoop whoop.

attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2451 Posts

SKIN PAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Skins use to be unlock rewards... DLC use to be expansions that were either free or as long as the game and cost less.

Times have changed and its our wallets that made it this way... I personally won't be buying "premium" or "season pass" content again and I sure as hell am not falling for another early access game.

I will get Evolve when its £15-20 down the road.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

While I don't like all this DLC, I am still going to buy the game because the core experience is worth it. I won't be buying any DLC though.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Skins use to be unlock rewards... DLC use to be expansions that were either free or as long as the game and cost less.

Times have changed and its our wallets that made it this way... I personally won't be buying "premium" or "season pass" content

I agree. The type of DLC I'm in favor of is substantial expansion content to the game, released after the fact. Something akin to the large expansion packs I used to be able to buy for a game after I'd beat it and was hankering for some more. Maybe something that lets you play through a companion character's storyline, etc. Hats and skins were unlock rewards

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Wait, you're complaining about people being able to buy SKINS to CUSTOMIZE their character?

Wow, how pathetic can you guys be?

And make no mistake, you truly are pathetic if this bothers you in any way. Custom skins affect nothing in the game. Why shouldn't developers sell them to people who might want them? This isn't any different than PlanetSide 2 that sells custom appearances. Only at least Evolve isn't selling weapons, unlike PS2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@uninspiredcup said:

Made a thread about the same thing the other day.

It's micro-transactions. On launch. You could see from the start the intent was to **** the consumer over as much as humanly possible.

Micro-transactions that only sell different appearances **** no one over.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@airshocker said:

Wait, you're complaining about people being able to buy SKINS to CUSTOMIZE their character?

And make no mistake, you truly are pathetic if this bothers you in any way. Custom skins affect nothing in the game. Why shouldn't developers sell them to people who might want them? This isn't any different than PlanetSide 2 that sells custom appearances. Only at least Evolve isn't selling weapons, unlike PS2.

at least PS2 is free

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JustPlainLucas

@airshocker said:

I remember when you used to be able to unlock that shit by.. hmm.. just playing the game? Consumers need to stop excusing this.

On a side note, there was this little indie game I played years back on XBLA called DLC Quest, I think? It was a commentary piece on current DLC trends, so when you started the game you didn't even have the ability to move back to the left of the screen. You had to buy abilities (with in-game money) in order for the game to feel like a functional game.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JustPlainLucas

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@JustPlainLucas: Yeah, all this paid dlc stuff seems to be more prevalent on PC.

Yes, but it certainly trickles down into console gaming as well. For instance, The Last of Us on PS4 charges for an execution animation. o.o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-579f651eab962

@JustPlainLucas said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

Yes, but it certainly trickles down into console gaming as well. For instance, The Last of Us on PS4 charges for an execution animation. o.o

The problem is though is that people still pay!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JustPlainLucas

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

The problem is though is that people still pay!

Oh yeah. I think horse armor still sells for Oblivion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

With DLC I always go off my golden rule:

- If the DLC is just cosmetic, then it's fine (although I still don't get how people can pay real money for a skin)

- If the DLC changes anything in the gameplay department, then it's wrong.

In summary though, I wish cosmetic DLC didn't exist.... or if it did exist, it could only be obtained through gameplay.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

What I find funny is that it is mainly the full price, 60 dollar games that are abusing DLC and Microtransactions these days.

there are quite a few 25-30 dollar multiplayer games on the PC which are updated for free with new weapons/maps/modes - eg. RO2, Natural Selection 2, Chivalry, Insurgency.

Yet its become the norm for AAA 60 dollar multiplayer games to nickel and dime you wherever possible. I find that incredibly stupid.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@wis3boi said:

@airshocker said:

at least PS2 is free

And it's pay to win.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Really, it just comes down to how the game was promoted. Usually when titles are about to launch, the developers aren't busy at the same time trying to sell you tons of other content related to the game. In the past - developers would absolutely never talk about content expansions until some time has past since launch.

This game took the absolute wrong approach - they've managed to bring more attention to the extra content than to the game itself long before launch. People don't want to hear that shit. Especially when the status quo is of DLC is constantly being pushed as of late. It really wasn't that long ago that games were sold as complete packages and expansions weren't planned until after the game saw some success. Now games are trying to sell you on extra content before you're even convinced that the base game itself is good - and there's something blatantly wrong with that picture.

People are now really beginning to draw the line on what they consider to be acceptable in the realm of DLC. Personally, I think pre-planned extra content in the form of a game-store should be restricted F2P games exclusively. Anything other than a major content expansion shouldn't be sold. Period. Anything smaller should either be included as part of a larger content package or it should be given for free to increase the value of the base game. Nickel and diming every single one of your customers to make them feel like they're getting the game experience they used to get with games ten years is a little fucked up. I really miss the good ol' days where you bought a game and instead of having to buy those extra game modes, costumes, and skins - you earned them through gameplay. Gaming felt a lot more wholesome then.

To really get things back to the way they were, the gaming community would need to grow tighter, become more vocal, and come to a consensus on what standards should be set in this really fuzzy grey area. And then collectively vote with their wallets. Unfortunately the industry is so big at this point that just about any AAA developer and publisher team can take any existing IP, completely change the game to target largest audience and alienate previous fans, and become filthy rich in the process. I'm not really sure what we can do other than hope for another crash of sorts.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BassMan

@KHAndAnime said:

Really, it just comes down to how the game was promoted. Usually when titles are about to launch, the developers aren't busy at the same time trying to sell you tons of other content related to the game. In the past - developers would absolutely never talk about content expansions until some time has past since launch.

This game took the absolute wrong approach - they've managed to bring more attention to the extra content than to the game itself long before launch. People don't want to hear that shit. Especially when the status quo is of DLC is constantly being pushed as of late. It really wasn't that long ago that games were sold as complete packages and expansions weren't planned until after the game saw some success. Now games are trying to sell you on extra content before you're even convinced that the base game itself is good - and there's something blatantly wrong with that picture.

People are now really beginning to draw the line on what they consider to be acceptable in the realm of DLC. Personally, I think pre-planned extra content in the form of a game-store should be restricted F2P games exclusively. Anything other than a major content expansion shouldn't be sold. Period. Anything smaller should either be included as part of a larger content package or it should be given for free to increase the value of the base game. Nickel and diming every single one of your customers to make them feel like they're getting the game experience they used to get with games ten years is a little fucked up. I really miss the good ol' days where you bought a game and instead of having to buy those extra game modes, costumes, and skins - you earned them through gameplay. Gaming felt a lot more wholesome then...

Well said. I don't buy much DLC. I find BF premium acceptable as the DLC is like expansion packs. They tend to give you good bundles of maps, weapons, vehicles, and game modes. However, I don't like how EA offers the shortcut kits where you pay to unlock weapon/vehicle upgrades (although, these can be earned by playing). I just find it disrespectful to the consumer and a cash grab. Don't even get me started on Ultimate Team packs for their sports games. lol.

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts

Ugh... Charging a ridiculous amount of money for -skin- packs? How gullible are consumers, really? I have never seen DLC's to be worth the cost on most occasions. In fact, I typically buy DLC's if I am buying a game that goes on sale that makes the base game and extras cost a reasonable amount. The AAA game makers really need to go back to the way of expansion packs. At least those had a decent size of meat and potatoes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
@JustPlainLucas said:

@airshocker said:

I remember when you used to be able to unlock that shit by.. hmm.. just playing the game? Consumers need to stop excusing this.

On a side note, there was this little indie game I played years back on XBLA called DLC Quest, I think? It was a commentary piece on current DLC trends, so when you started the game you didn't even have the ability to move back to the left of the screen. You had to buy abilities (with in-game money) in order for the game to feel like a functional game.

Too bad. Those times are over.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

As per usual this boils down to making a big deal out of something that shouldn't even matter to people.

They are selling skins, for fucks sake. They aren't selling weapon shortcuts. They aren't selling weapons. They're not selling perks. They're selling SKINS.

If that really is going to make you not buy this game then it's your loss. I'm loving the game, and I didn't need to buy a single skin to do so.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@airshocker said:

As per usual this boils down to making a big deal out of something that shouldn't even matter to people.

They are selling skins, for fucks sake. They aren't selling weapon shortcuts. They aren't selling weapons. They're not selling perks. They're selling SKINS.

If that really is going to make you not buy this game then it's your loss. I'm loving the game, and I didn't need to buy a single skin to do so.

Whether it's a big deal or not seems to come down to personal opinion. Is the game playable without it? Absolutely (or so I hear). But for those of us who've been gaming for eons its hard to have stuff that used to be included as bonus material stripped from games and sold to us. Not wanting to pay for a skin is not the same thing as saying we would not enjoy if were we to unlock it. I realize the counterpoint to that is "gamers can't expect everything for free". But I think the real factor here is that this stuff used to be free and now it's not. A tougher pill to swallow than if it had always been something you paid for after the fact. For me, some (albeit not much) enjoyment when progressing through games did come from achieving unlockables. Now we get fewer and fewer of those markers. Ultimately, "not affecting gameplay" does not mean we aren't getting less for our money - as consumers that's worth at least discussing even if we need not drag out the pitchforks

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

Unfortunately this is the way games have evolved.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@cyloninside said:

yes many games have done this in the past..... no... no other game will be doing DLC to the extent that you will see in Evolve. I feel bad for all the suckers that bought this game.

Yeah good luck with the sales, I'm feeling sorry for those who payed their money on the game and soon will realize that they'll have to spend even more.

I loved the game don't get me wrong but it's lacking content big time, so no I wouldn't buy this game unless it's been sold for 15$

and let's not forget that there wasn't major effort in making this game since the engine already existed in the 1st place (CryEngine)

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@digitm64 said:

I think, and I may be wrong, but the word you're looking for is devolved. There's no way I would ever buy this game, not even on sale for $5. I make it a rule not to support scumbags.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BassMan

@PredatorRules said:

@cyloninside said:

Yeah good luck with the sales, I'm feeling sorry for those who payed their money on the game and soon will realize that they'll have to spend even more.

I loved the game don't get me wrong but it's lacking content big time, so no I wouldn't buy this game unless it's been sold for 15$

and let's not forget that there wasn't major effort in making this game since the engine already existed in the 1st place (CryEngine)

Are you really that clueless? The core game is still intact and is not affected by the DLC at this time. The fact that you say there was not a major effort to make the game is insulting to developers. News flash! Most games are made with prebuilt engines as their foundation. The CryEngine was altered to cater to the game they set out to make. So, there was extensive design, programming and content creation that went into making the game. Please be a little more respectful to the people who craft the games that you play.

amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts

Hope you guys didn't buy this from Steam...

Here's a cheaper version where I got it:

http://planetredstar.com/store/pc-video-game-cd-keys/evolve-pc-and-dlc

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@airshocker said:

welcome back troll. how does it feel to be the gamespot troll now airshocker?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#39  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

For once I'm with you.

Agreed.

I have never abused the Steam review system before, but I had to make one of those annoying not recommended/downvote reviews. Over 1,000 upvotes. I am glad to see that many people are not falling for this DLC deathtrap.

It's a broken user review system anyway.

Despite the DLC crap, it's still a boring game! And, to think, I was really looking forward to this one!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Elann2008

@-wildflower- said:

@digitm64 said:

I think, and I may be wrong, but the word you're looking for is devolved. There's no way I would ever buy this game, not even on sale for $5. I make it a rule not to support scumbags.

Devolved is the perfect word to describe it.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Who cares about skins? Seriously...

The gameplay is dope. I don't give a **** about skins.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@MethodManFTW said:

Ehh, the discussion isn't really about the skins per say....

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MethodManFTW

@FelipeInside said:

@MethodManFTW said:

This original post is about skins.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MethodManFTW

@SerOlmy said:

All of which was cut content so they could sell it back as DLC.

How would you possible know that? Do you work at TRS or 2k? If not, you are lying.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Elann2008

@MethodManFTW said:

@FelipeInside said:

@MethodManFTW said:

No offense, but you're kinda slow. =/

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MethodManFTW

@Elann2008 said:

@MethodManFTW said:

@FelipeInside said:

@MethodManFTW said:

No offense, but you're kinda slow. =/

I think you are probably a moron but I don't know you so I'll just keep it to myself.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

The DLC practices of this is quite appalling. I am refuse to buy this game sorely on principle.

@airshocker said:

Shilling. Shilling never changes.

But keep defending the anti-consumer practices of 2k here. In the meanwhile, I will go play games where you unlock new skins by just playing the damn game rather than coughing up extra dough. Plenty of devs still allow players to unlock this stuff ingame, be it Valve, Blizzard, Nintendo and so many more. Valve even allows players to unlock all their skins in Dota 2 and Team Fortress 2 ingame, and those games are free.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

CD Projekt Red showing how its done.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

And people wonder why gamers get stereotyped as crybabies...

Seriously cry moar people. In the meantime, I will keep having an absolute BLAST playing Evolve.