Zinalu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Zinalu
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I recently bought Assassins creed Liberation and started to play, this problem also occurs in Black flag but only after I have played for a while.

It doesn't show up when I take a screencap as shown below.

So I took a picture with my camera to show.

Those red dots...

It doesn't matter if Vsync is enabled or disabled, it's still there, I've tried all different graphic options and nothing helps. I have a HDMI cable from my laptop to an extrenal screen, could the cable be the problem? I tried to move it upp and down etc but nothing seemed to work, but in black flag it helps sometimes. I don't think there is any problem with my laptop playing the games, Black flag can be a bit troublesome while it rains, simply cause my computer isn't strong enough but otherwise it's fine, Liberation works perfectly.

The red dots appear in the menu, while the red lines appear while playing.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Three things:

1. Is your GPU drivers up to date?

2. How are the temps of your GPU?

3. Do those red dots only appear in a game, or are they also when you're browsing the web and all that?

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

Looks to me like its either the game or youre GPU is getting to hot/ dieing..

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

My 8800GT started doing that right before it died on me.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127492 Posts

@soolkiki said:

Three things:

1. Is your GPU drivers up to date?

2. How are the temps of your GPU?

3. Do those red dots only appear in a game, or are they also when you're browsing the web and all that?

I agree with soolkiki here. Test these things, and maybe other games as well. The GPU might be at its end.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I had the issue. It was the cable or hdmi to dvi adapter.

Zinalu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zinalu

Ouch those answers were worrying...

@soolkiki: those dots only appear while playing, never when I browse the web, they don't appear in other games either other AC Liberation and AC Black flag. I believe my drivers are up to date but I better check.

For the temprature, I used CPUID HWMonitor.

@Silicel1: When I play Black Flag the red can dissapear sometimes when I touch the cable indeed, so I might have to check that too.

EDIT:

I placed my laptop on a little plastic box with holes in it and a small fan right beside the air outlet, this is the temprature I get now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Holy fucking shit at the temps in that first image. Is that how hot laptops NORMALLY run?

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

Id say the radeon temps in the second pic are waaaayyy better.. youre cpu temps seems somwhat on the rediculous side aswell..

Zinalu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zinalu

Well that is what my laptop normally runs, it's crazy! It's been like that for forever, if not even since I bought it...I have checked the fan inside of it and cleaned it from dust, I've checked different things inside of it to make it cooler, so I have my suspicions that it's to strong for being a laptop, it can't cool down enough...

Does anyone have any suggestions how to cool it down even more if possible?

Zinalu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zinalu

I tried to play Liberation now since the computer have cooled down a little, and the red dots are gone!! So those appears when the computes is to warm then?

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Ho.ly. Shit. Those temps are insane! I would have to say that that right there is your problem. Because when you game, the computer only gets hotter. I would open up the bottom of your laptop and take a look at the heatsink to see if there is any damage. I'm personally shocked that your lappy doesn't shut down by itself from those temps. Or that your wrist isn't burned clear off! If you're not comfortable with taking it apart yourself, take it in to a repair shop to see if they can apply some better thermal paste. Also, look at one of these to get better temps.

@zinalu said:

I tried to play Liberation now since the computer have cooled down a little, and the red dots are gone!! So those appears when the computes is to warm then?

Ah, haha I didn't see this comment until I had written what I did. I would have to say that that is for sure your problem. Refer back to what I said before about getting the heat fixed. Computers can take a lot of heat, but not that much.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts
@soolkiki said:

Ho.ly. Shit. Those temps are insane! I would have to say that that right there is your problem. Because when you game, the computer only gets hotter. I would open up the bottom of your laptop and take a look at the heatsink to see if there is any damage. I'm personally shocked that your lappy doesn't shut down by itself from those temps. Or that your wrist isn't burned clear off! If you're not comfortable with taking it apart yourself, take it in to a repair shop to see if they can apply some better thermal paste. Also, look at one of these to get better temps.

@zinalu said:

Ah, haha I didn't see this comment until I had written what I did. I would have to say that that is for sure your problem. Refer back to what I said before about getting the heat fixed. Computers can take a lot of heat, but not that much.

I was thinking the same thing ... having such high temps for the CPU usually forces the thermal throttling like in Intel's CPUs with the T-junction but I guess AMD doesn't have that technology integrated.

Do you even do maintenance on that thing aside from dust removal ? Thermal paste ? Are your fans working at maximum during load ? Is the air in-take working properly ?

Another advice I can give you is start looking for another PC ... a friend of mine had a 4 year old laptop that started getting these same dots and lines you're talking about, 3 weeks later his computer gave in because he was stubborn and kept overloading it with 0 regard to cooling it etc. Think of red dots and lines for laptop screens like a message "I'm about to kick the bucket ... sorry".

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@zinalu said:

Does anyone have any suggestions how to cool it down even more if possible?

Lower graphics settings and/or buy laptop cooling such as this