Weird computer problems

#1 Posted by Sleepyz (3787 posts) -

For the last month or so i've been getting annoying problems and seems to get getting worst.

The most common is the quit game and end up on desktop then there the freezing and have to hard reboot and not just in games, just doing stuff on desktop or watching videos. And least common its only done it 3 times in last month and random reboot.

My computer is pretty old but worked great before. Still on Vista.

I did full virus scan, malware scan and oddly enough i lost 3 gigs of diskspace after that. I'd also done a disk defrag about 3 weeks ago and had gain disk space.

I upgraded videocard drivers also and no change.

Not ready yet for a new system so any hints would be apreciated.

#2 Edited by 04dcarraher (20083 posts) -

Should look at your temps on your cpu,gpu and motherboard, cant hurt to check the voltages too you can look them in the bios or a hardware monitor tool like HWmonitor.

Then you should look at the harddrive health , download something like seagate tools and run smart check and short drive test to see if the drive is mechanically sound. If you lost 3gb of space you may be getting bad sectors on the drive so backup the stuff you want to be on the safe side.

In seagate tools Run the fix all long option under basic tests it will look, try to recover and mark the bad spots if there are any. if the drive checks out, I would format and start fresh with windows which will rule out all software, OS, drivers being corrupted all gunked up over time.

And after that fresh install and it still locks up its a hardware issue, and if temperatures aren't the source it may be the psu.

#3 Posted by Sleepyz (3787 posts) -

Thank you for the tips. Already tried the hwmonitor, cool little program.

I run duo core e6600 and they show 47-55c idle and its a cool day.

Videocard shows 34-38c.

Have no clue if this is good or not. I'll check it again after i've played games for a couple of hrs tonight.

#4 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3857 posts) -

if your getting lots of freezes for periods of time it could be your hard drive. I had a 2 TB storage drive that was just near death, and it was causing slowdowns. Eventually it wouldnt even let my pc boot up, even though it wasn't even a drive with any bootup files on it.

Weird part is it passed all the SMART tests I ran on it, it even passed the extended tests, which i'm surprised it could even run because it was freezing up a fair bit at that point. Then it died about a day or two later to complete failure and just made clicking sound when it tried to start up then would repeat. Sent it back to Western Digital and they instantly gave me a brand new one, amazing fast warranty experience I was impressed with them since it was my first time RMAing a drive with them... usually my warrantys are long gone by the time i can.

So backup your data fast on another drive if you haven't already. I'd clone your entire OS drive to another one and run it off the new copy and see if it still acts funny.

I'd say to do a full reinstall also incase you got something messed up in windows... but its pretty unlikely unless you got a virus you cant detect or files got corrupted somehow.

I guess your ram and motherboard are probably fine since you aren't getting bluescreens. If i have bad ram, i get repeated program crashes and bluescreens usually on top of that.

If you do a full reinstall you almost may as well put Windows 7 or 8 on your pc. Vista gives me an icky feeling.

#5 Posted by 04dcarraher (20083 posts) -

@Sleepyz said:

Thank you for the tips. Already tried the hwmonitor, cool little program.

I run duo core e6600 and they show 47-55c idle and its a cool day.

Videocard shows 34-38c.

Have no clue if this is good or not. I'll check it again after i've played games for a couple of hrs tonight.

47-55c idle is abit warm for the cpu. It sounds like it just be a overheating cpu, The Tmax temp for that cpu is 60C. So if your going above 65C you can run into lockups etc. what you should do is pick up some thermal paste or one of those thermal pads for cpu's take off heatsink clean up the old with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips, after the cpu and heatsink are clean and dry put new on and that problem will be fixed. Or you can just get a $20 aftermarket cooler too.

#6 Edited by Sleepyz (3787 posts) -

Had to quit playing with friend tonight after i frooze 3 times and had to hard reboot. I just went into borderlands 2 solo and hit 65c after few mins of playing on cpu and 71 on videocard. Videocard cooled down right away to 36c but cpu is still at 57c after quitting game for 15mins. Fan speed on cpu went to 1252 rpm max.

Guess old computer is just getting tired and probably needs a new heatsink. That cpu/heatsink is almost 7yrs old.

Edit:Did more research and seems like heatsink should hit the 2400 mark under heavy load and mine is just half that.

Would this fit my old Computer? (Duo core e6600) http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-socket-478-computer-cooler-fan-fan478-fan478/10191919.aspx?path=020eb2ba68c2266c406008b0f1041ddben02

#7 Posted by 04dcarraher (20083 posts) -

Um that cooler you link will not work wrong socket

You can get another stock type cooler LINK

or you spend abit more and get proper cpu cooler LINK

#8 Posted by Sleepyz (3787 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

Was gonna buy wrong fan :P One at futureshop is 1.25 shipping one at directcanada is 14 shipping making it 33.50! Already ordered the one at futureshop, hopefully will fix my problem.

Thank you for all the help.

#9 Edited by 04dcarraher (20083 posts) -
@Sleepyz said:

@04dcarraher said:

Was gonna buy wrong fan :P One at futureshop is 1.25 shipping one at directcanada is 14 shipping making it 33.50! Already ordered the one at futureshop, hopefully will fix my problem.

Thank you for all the help.

So which cooler you get the Hyper TX or the other one I linked too?

#10 Posted by Sleepyz (3787 posts) -

Yes the Cooler master sleeve x at futureshop for 10 bucks. Don't want to sink too much cash into a 7yr old computer. I'll probably get an i7 4770k this year.