Ways to Prevent Dust

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 HelpWithPC
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts

I was wondering if I can do anything to prevent dust from getting into my new computer and how to clean the little bit of dust in my computer. Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

Use dust filters, don't smoke in the same room ( i am not a smoker, but heard it is bad for dust)

Clean your PC out once every month if you are like me, or be lazier and do it every 3.

RevanBITW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RevanBITW
Member since 2013 • 739 Posts

@AMD655 said:

Use dust filters, don't smoke in the same room ( i am not a smoker, but heard it is bad for dust)

Clean your PC out once every month if you are like me, or be lazier and do it every 3.

You could most likely getting away with doing once every 6 months. Although I do it about once every 2 months myself.

HelpWithPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HelpWithPC
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts

But what do you use to get the dust out.

maddogmark25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 maddogmark25
Member since 2003 • 3632 Posts

@HelpWithPC said:

Safest way is to use a small brush, a can of compressed air, and a small vacuum with a nozzle attachment. Mostly use the vacuum to get rid of most of the dust that is easy to get out while being careful not to damage your computer parts, use the can of compressed air and brush to get some of the hard to reach places.

In terms of preventing dust, you will never totally prevent dust; filters help, but they aren't perfect.

soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

@maddogmark25 said:

@HelpWithPC said:

Safest way is to use a small brush, a can of compressed air, and a small vacuum with a nozzle attachment. Mostly use the vacuum to get rid of most of the dust that is easy to get out while being careful not to damage your computer parts, use the can of compressed air and brush to get some of the hard to reach places.

In terms of preventing dust, you will never totally prevent dust; filters help, but they aren't perfect.

True. While my filters do keep most of the dust out, they impede a little on the airflow. Especially when they are caked with dust. Better the filters than my fans, though.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Like Kipple, dust accumulates. There isn't a way to prevent it. You can only mitigate it. You can get a dust-vac on Amazon.com for around $50 that will clean that sucker out.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Elann2008 said:

Like Kipple, dust accumulates. There isn't a way to prevent it. You can only mitigate it. You can get a dust-vac on Amazon.com for around $50 that will clean that sucker out.

This, there is NO way to prevent dust, it's part of the air.

Even air tight server rooms accumulate dust over time.

Like Elann said you can get a dust-vac or just use a brush.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

You can set up your computer case like a clean room is set up. Make sure your case is running positive pressure (intake more air than exhaust) and make sure all your intakes are filtered. Particles (dust) will naturally want to move from a positive pressure environment (your case) to a lower pressure environment (the outside air). Therefore, your filters keep new particles from entering and the pressure difference encourages existing particles to leave. The result is a lower particle count in your case (as far as your pressure difference and filters allow).

Works for me, I've been running positive pressure on my last two cases. You still get dust on the inside because the filters don't get absolutely everything but the accumulation of dust is slowed down substantially. I usually don't have to dust my computer for a very long time.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127516 Posts

@Marfoo said:

You can set up your computer case like a clean room is set up. Make sure your case is running positive pressure (intake more air than exhaust) and make sure all your intakes are filtered. Particles (dust) will naturally want to move from a positive pressure environment (your case) to a lower pressure environment (the outside air). Therefore, your filters keep new particles from entering and the pressure difference encourages existing particles to leave. The result is a lower particle count in your case (as far as your pressure difference and filters allow).

Works for me, I've been running positive pressure on my last two cases. You still get dust on the inside because the filters don't get absolutely everything but the accumulation of dust is slowed down substantially. I usually don't have to dust my computer for a very long time.

The pressure difference is next to nothing. However you ensure that the air coming into the case goes through filters, removing a lot of the dust.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

You lot would shun me away from these forums for eternity if you saw the inside of my PC. I've tried so many times to clean it out but the dust has just caked on far too much. I've used a can of compressed air, was too scared to use a brush let alone a vacuum. Maybe I should grow a pair and try again or just be lazy and give it to a shop for a good clean.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 horgen  Moderator

@BattleSpectre said:

You lot would shun me away from these forums for eternity if you saw the inside of my PC. I've tried so many times to clean it out but the dust has just caked on far too much. I've used a can of compressed air, was too scared to use a brush let alone a vacuum. Maybe I should grow a pair and try again or just be lazy and give it to a shop for a good clean.

The problem if you wait for too long, the dust seems to stick much better to the surface. It took a bit of time to clean out the old family computer as it hadn't been done in 2 years or more, but it sure is do able. Heck I even managed with canned air to clean my laptop without opening it up. The temperature on the CPU went down about 10-15 degrees C and it was finally quiet again.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I've not cleaned my PC since I got in November - 2010 XD

Not much dust inside it apart from on the CPU cooler.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@horgen123: Yeah It's funny what a bit of cleaning can do. It is summertime in Australia so what better time do it than now.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Get rid of any carpets.

My pc rarely gets any dust, and get something like an air cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-04383-Allergen-Reducing-Cleaner/dp/B000R2WEJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386073670&sr=8-1&keywords=air+cleaner

Then just vacuum the filters on your case, the dust inside your case will be minimal

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Whenever I clean up my rig it's always a year or so with few wet wipes and some swabs to reach hard places such as CPU, GPU and case fans.

You can use vacum cleaner as well and hair dryer.

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18  Edited By ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

It's just dust, just hoover it a few times a year..

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

i just take my pc to the garage air compressor

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

put your pc in a closet if possible, it pretty much stops 90% of the dust from getting to it. but make sure its a fairly decent sized closet or the heat may build up. My closet has a drop ceiling in it so I have a tile open at the top so it never gets hot inside there.

if this isn't possible, try to use dust filters on ur fans... but also know this drastically cuts down in the amount of air intake the fans will be able to do, especially if they are low rpm fans.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Use a leaf blower.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

The absolute best way is to put your' computer in a vacuum. ;)

It's like a little clean room, all for your computer!

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@demi0227_basic said:

The absolute best way is to put your' computer in a vacuum. ;)

It's like a little clean room, all for your computer!

You need air to cool it down, unless you get it water cooled and have the radiator on the outside of this room...

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I cut my filters from a $1 foam window unit a/c filter and attach them to my fans using push pins for PC fans...

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Realistically, you can get away without cleaning it for four or five years. Those that have to do it every two months must be playing in a mine in a desert.

To stop dust, STOP YOUR SKIN.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@guynamedbilly said:

Realistically, you can get away without cleaning it for four or five years. Those that have to do it every two months must be playing in a mine in a desert.

I like the vacuum suggestion better.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

@guynamedbilly said:

Only if it's a non smoking home. After a couple of years, the dust in my dad's PC was saturated with tar, and he keeps a really clean house. No carpet or anything. The case fans didn't spin anymore, and the CPU fan barely worked. I had to take out every little piece to clean it right so it wouldn't corrode, and I had to soak the heatsink in ketchup...

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

@superclocked said:

@guynamedbilly said:

Only if it's a non smoking home. After a couple of years, the dust in my dad's PC was saturated with tar, and he keeps a really clean house. No carpet or anything. The case fans didn't spin anymore, and the CPU fan barely worked. I had to take out every little piece to clean it right so it wouldn't corrode, and I had to soak the heatsink in ketchup...

Wow. I'll have to keep that in mind.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 horgen  Moderator

@superclocked said:

@guynamedbilly said:

How is that possible?