Wasteland 2: GoG or Steam?

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Kh1ndjal

Poll Wasteland 2: GoG or Steam? (18 votes)

GoG 72%
Steam 28%

So Wasteland 2 is releasing tomorrow and it seems like the kind of game one should play right after divinity original sin.

My question is: which service is better for purchase?

Normally I prefer steam, but wasteland 2 doesn't have any steam features that I like; no cloud saves and no achievements.

Gog version is also cheaper atm (10% off), but doesn't include early access (I don't want early access).

So I was wondering if I should go with the obvious choice, or are there any worthwhile features that might come to steam in the future (such as steam cloud)?

• 
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Are you sure there's no Steam Cloud? I guess I haven't tested this. I've had the game in early access for months (I backed Planescape to the point that I got into the beta for this game) and it's pretty tightly polished. I think the final build is actually out now even though it technically releases in a couple days (the early release splash screens are gone from the game). I guess if you have no preference between the services and there are no cloud features, then I guess just get the cheaper copy.

-Byshop

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

"

Normally I prefer steam, but wasteland 2 doesn't have any steam features that I like; no cloud saves and no achievements.

Gog version is also cheaper atm (10% off), but doesn't include early access (I don't want early access).

"

I think you've already answered yourself on this manner. GOG

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@PredatorRules: yes, but sometimes developers add features to their steam version later on. For example, dawn of war 2 only recently lost games for windows live garbage, and got steamworks, steam cloud and steam achievements. Usually, the steam version is the premier version, if you will.

Since it has early access, I thought perhaps some users here could provide first hand information on such matters.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@Kh1ndjal said:

@PredatorRules: yes, but sometimes developers add features to their steam version later on. For example, dawn of war 2 only recently lost games for windows live garbage, and got steamworks, steam cloud and steam achievements. Usually, the steam version is the premier version, if you will.

Since it has early access, I thought perhaps some users here could provide first hand information on such matters.

I think the same happens to GOG too. I have some games at my GOG account and they are updating them and you can always download the updated version.

So I think if they add something good like more content, they will add it to GOG version too. But I would prefer steam too for the possibility of adding achievements laterz.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Origin

Don't hit me. I will buy the GOG version.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@Kh1ndjal said:

I think the same happens to GOG too. I have some games at my GOG account and they are updating them and you can always download the updated version.

So I think if they add something good like more content, they will add it to GOG version too. But I would prefer steam too for the possibility of adding achievements laterz.

if there's an update for a game in your GoG library, do you have to download the entire game? or is it in the form of a patch or incremental update?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Kh1ndjal said:

@Coseniath said:
@Kh1ndjal said:

if there's an update for a game in your GoG library, do you have to download the entire game? or is it in the form of a patch or incremental update?

Small patch file (.exe), I've done the same thing with some of my games.

EDIT: the only good thing about the Steam version that it will apply the patch automatically if you're logged in Steam already.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I will more than likely pick it up on Steam tomorrow.

I like the auto-updates, and centralization that steam provides. The price of the game will drop tomorrow from what I gather.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

GoG for sure. Just for the fact that you're not buying a DRM version. Yay personal freedom!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

GOG comes with no DRM, so that.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11  Edited By SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

I was kind of looking forward to Spreadsheetland 2 until I saw some recent gameplay videos. Now it looks like It is going to be even more annoying than D:OS. Eternity launch can not get here fast enough IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Go for GOG. They have a bunch of extra features.

You might look into Razer Cortex. If you use it and have a Dropbox account, you can cloud sync your games through it. Alternatively, Game Save Manager can do it too, but is a bit more complex and more feature rich.

Also FYI, GOG is bringing their own client later this year which will auto-update games if you want.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

@guynamedbilly:

That is a good point! I forgot about Razor's new thing. I didn't even know about Gog doing something similar on auto-updates, I might actually get it on Gog then. Especially if the price difference is really all that much at launch.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Support GOG no DRM

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points