Warner Bros. sends Cease and Desist letter to the MERP Mod team for Skyrim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darneddemiser88
darneddemiser88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darneddemiser88
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

Warner Brothers have sent a cease and desist letter to the creators of "Middle Earth Roleplaying Project" for Skyrim. The developement of the mod has stopped since this order from WB, but the team says that this is not finished yet.

Link to this news:http://www.moddb.com/mods/merp-middle-earth-roleplaying-project/news/merp-cd

slimjimbadboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 slimjimbadboy
Member since 2006 • 1731 Posts

They could just make a satire of middle earth and problem solved.

jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

pathetic.

jakes456

Yeah. How dare companies protect their brand names!!

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

They want to protect themselves and their mediocre games from being outshined by a mod team.
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

And yet those guys who created World of Warcraft in Minecraft are left alone?

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

What is art

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#8 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

They did a bad job with their first LOTR game, so they're worried about their future games not selling due to the fact that people would just play the MERP mod in Skyrim for the LOTR experience. It would actually be the company's fault for not creating a game worth buying.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

Toxic-Seahorse

Two things. First it's not Warner's Brothers brand, they're the current holder of a specific license leased to them by Tolkien Enterprises. Second, exactly what are they protecting it from? An entity generating zero income and having no affiliation with Warner?
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

There are many LOTR mods for other games, byt the only send a c&d to a mod for a very popular game. Ya, everyone can see what's going on here.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

Same thing happened to a LOTR/middle earth mod for Oblivion that was looking very promising:(

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
I don't see why they need to stop development - all they need to do is change a few names and problem solved. Let WB give them free publicity if they want.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Just make a damn proper LOTR RPG then instead of stopping all the others from trying

Avatar image for darneddemiser88
darneddemiser88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darneddemiser88
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

I have heard that one of the reasons that they C&D innovative, good projects like this is because in copyright law, they can lose their status with said copyright if they do not defend it when being infringed upon. Probably haven't translated that very well from legal terms into human terms, but I blame flawed copyright laws. I still put blame into WB for having to be so evil as to C&Ding a project that does not make any profits.

This could be minorly beneficial to WB. For exampe, Skyrim customer loves Skyrim, but doesn't know much about Lotr. Said Skyrim customer sees this huge Lotr mod and tries it out. This customer has now been introduced to Lotr through an entirely different means of advertisement. Especially because MERP is a completely non-profit project. I don't see what WB gains by the C&D.

The lengths that all of these large corporations go to sue the little guys in fear of a .0001% drop in profits really grinds my gears.

Mackey18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mackey18
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts

I personally don't think WB have the strongest grounds in the world. It's a mod, a nonchalant piece of work created by lots of individuals working in their own time to release a modification for a another game. It's not like they're even releasing a free, standalone game, it's a mod. I think the word needs to be spread more.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

MadCat46

Two things. First it's not Warner's Brothers brand, they're the current holder of a specific license leased to them by Tolkien Enterprises. Second, exactly what are they protecting it from? An entity generating zero income and having no affiliation with Warner?

They don't want anything to diminish the name. I'm not saying that the mod would, but you can't use someone else's name to make a game. They have no idea how it's going to turn out.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#17 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

They have a habit of doing this. I remember them taking draconic measures against 11-year old kids with Space Jam fan sites back in the day. Big men gonna act big.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

pathetic.

jakes456
Just like your usual posts.
STEVEWADE93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 STEVEWADE93
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

and yes Mr. Money goes to money

Branmuffin316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Branmuffin316
Member since 2009 • 1208 Posts

[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Yeah. How dare companies protect their brand names!!

Toxic-Seahorse

They don't want anything to diminish the name. I'm not saying that the mod would, but you can't use someone else's name to make a game. They have no idea how it's going to turn out.

You say this like WB cares. If they aren't making any money off of it than they don't want anyone to use it.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Warner Bros. has spoken guys it's out of our hands now, no matter how much we like it or not. Cease and Desist immediately or they will be forced to take action. Surrender! lol

Anyways if i was part of the Mod team i'd just change the name of the mod and release it anyway. I think thats what they're going to do, change a few things here and there and we'll get to see it.

PS: I think it'd be pretty cool being contacted by a big name company like Warner Bros even if it wasn't for some good news. :P

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts

[QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"]

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

pathetic.

MadCat46

1) They spent a lot of money to get that exlcusive licence to make Lord of the Rings games, so...yeah, they're going to defend their investment.

2) The free mod still has a lot of potential to hurt their sales (for example, people looking for a LotR game might buy Skyrim rather than their own products), and it's never a good thing to set a trend of letting other people use the IP that they've licenced.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#23 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

What sucks is these big corporations don't do #$%^ worth buying with these licenses. Kind of like EA with the NFL license, if another company were allowed to make an NFL game EA would be forced to actually improve theirs.

Mcspanky37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mcspanky37
Member since 2010 • 1693 Posts

[QUOTE="MadCat46"][QUOTE="Toxic-Seahorse"] Yeah. How dare companies protect their brand names!!Toxic-Seahorse

You do know there are a lot more diminishing things to a name than a free mod bringing free attention and popularity to the IP. They should be writing them a thank-you letter. Even if the mod is absolute crap, all that free attention to the IP paid off in the end. Them shutting down the mod will likely bring more negativity to everyone involved than letting it run.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

They could just not use any of the names from LOTR but make it blatantly obvious that it's set in toikens universe.

ardent163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ardent163
Member since 2005 • 407 Posts

Warner Bros. is being overprotective of intellectual propery.

Tolkien estate sues over Lord of the Rings online games <--- lol this thing was listed at the top of "More from Gamespot"

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

and yes Mr. Money goes to money

STEVEWADE93

Did you really need to bump this dead thread to say that?

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

There's a mod for Rome total war that makes it LOTR, and I think there was a mod like this on oblivion. Why are they just now stopping these mods?

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

There's a mod for Rome total war that makes it LOTR, and I think there was a mod like this on oblivion. Why are they just now stopping these mods?

cain006

pretty sure they issued a cease and desist order regarding the oblivion mod, too.