Want to know a few things about gpu's running hot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22091 posts) -

I have an evga gtx 670 4gb that run's at around 97c for gaming and 44c at idle. I could apply some thermal paste on it, but would it cause the temps to drop drastically? All thermal paste the same? And would it void my warranty? Maybe the reason why the gpu get's hot is because I live in a very hot climate and I don't have an Air Conditioner to cool down the room(can't afford it either)

#2 Posted by insane_metalist (5848 posts) -

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

#3 Edited by kraken2109 (12936 posts) -

What is the ambient temperature where you live? 97 is very hot. Have you tried manually turning up the fan speed? Have you cleaned the card recently?

#4 Posted by Postmortem123 (7561 posts) -

Yeah that's crazy hot, I'd expect a 670 to run at around 80C.

With EVGA you can replace the TIM without voiding warranty. Make sure the fan and heatsink aren't blocked with dust.

#5 Edited by 04dcarraher (18854 posts) -

Well does the 670 have the blower type cooler and what case are you using? Ive have had in the summer's 88-90F(31-32C) days and my gpu's have never reached temps like yours. Most likely because I have an Coolermaster HAF 932 case which has insane case cooling.

What you need to do is look for the culprit, clean out the dust inside the case&gpu, then make sure the all the fans inside the case and specially the gpu's fan is working. Grab MSI afterburner or EVGA precision or Gigabyte OC Guru and turn up the fan speed of the gpu and see if it helps. Also if you have a basic case and it has poor case cooling ie only 80mm fans or just has one fan total, take off the side panel and point a floor fan at the case from a distance just to create a slight breeze in the case and see if the temps change .But since its reaching the max temperature I would look at cleaning and repasting the gpu if the other suggestions I posted does not help. Might even look at getting an aftermarket cooler for it. How are your cpu and motherboard temps fairing too?

#6 Posted by Horgen (109931 posts) -

Unless your room temperature is up in the 40-ish C, it shouldn't run that hot. As others have suggested. Clean the heatsink, how good is the case airflow?, check that everything is okey with the fans on the GPU. Turn up the fan speed while gaming.

#7 Posted by PredatorRules (6994 posts) -

Get some Noctua thermal paste there ASAP.

GPUs aren't meant to run this hot; even the 780ti and the 290X are running at 74 degrees on OC settings.

#8 Edited by kitty (114195 posts) -

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.
the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

#9 Edited by Horgen (109931 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.

the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

Or water cool it. I imagine that a single 670 with a 240mm rad should not go over 65C even if the temperature outside is 45C or so... Hell it might not even break 60C. Given what TC said in the OP I don't think water cooling is an option though :(

Perhaps get an aftermarked cooler.

#10 Posted by kitty (114195 posts) -

He probably couldn't afford that atm. :( Cooler might help some, never asked about the case fans to his pc. Having more of those could help, also cleaning it to.

#11 Posted by Horgen (109931 posts) -

He probably couldn't afford that atm. :( Cooler might help some, never asked about the case fans to his pc. Having more of those could help, also cleaning it to.

Mentioned earlier in the thread.

I hope some of what we suggest will help him.

#12 Edited by Allurez (31 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07: Hi, I had the same problem like a month ago with my GTX 660 Ti. I was going crazy and getting worried because I was getting around 97 (celsius) in-game and around 56 (celsius) on idle. I would install the latest driver and it would get better, but not good and each time I booted the PC again the problem appeared. So, I started searching and I finally found a program that solved me the problem, it's called Rogue Killer. This program finds errors and it either deletes them or fixes them, it's a very easy program to use and it's absolutely free. I advise you to try that. Now my temps (in celsius) are like 65 in-game and 32 idling.

#13 Posted by RevanBITW (534 posts) -

@Allurez said:

@TheShadowLord07: Hi, I had the same problem like a month ago with my GTX 660 Ti. I was going crazy and getting worried because I was getting around 97 (celsius) in-game and around 56 (celsius) on idle. I would install the latest driver and it would get better, but not good and each time I booted the PC again the problem appeared. So, I started searching and I finally found a program that solved me the problem, it's called Rogue Killer. This program finds errors and it either deletes them or fixes them, it's a very easy program to use and it's absolutely free. I advise you to try that. Now my temps (in celsius) are like 65 in-game and 32 idling.

Scam

#14 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23349 posts) -

Eh, 97c is really hot but it won't kill the gpu. My 670 gets to 97c on load all the time if it's being maxed out. It's overclocked a lot, and the stock fan profile is meant for quietness. It's been like this for 2 years or so.

#15 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22091 posts) -

@horgen123 said:

Unless your room temperature is up in the 40-ish C, it shouldn't run that hot. As others have suggested. Clean the heatsink, how good is the case airflow?, check that everything is okey with the fans on the GPU. Turn up the fan speed while gaming.

I honestly don't know whats the room temp is. It's usually around high 70c to around 80c degrees outside all year round. where this week has been hitting the 90's. I think the airflow is ok, but I might need to show you guy's a picture so you can decide. case is corsair 650D, so there is a lot of space in the case.

motherboard's temp is( I got these from cpuid hw monitor):

TZ00: 28C

TZ01: 30C

TMPIN0: 42C

TMPIN1: 45C

TMPIN2: 32C

cpu's is 39c to 40c( have a corsair h80 cooler, but i guess it isn't working properly)

right now the gpu's is 39c with fan speed at 80%

to 04dcarraher

I don't know what you mean by blower type, but this is just a regular gtx 670. similar to this:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5818/GeForce_GTX_670_3qtr-1.jpg

i actually created this thread because 2ndwonder reminded me about it when he mention something wrong with his computer in the pc showcase thread.

#16 Edited by 04dcarraher (18854 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@horgen123 said:

Unless your room temperature is up in the 40-ish C, it shouldn't run that hot. As others have suggested. Clean the heatsink, how good is the case airflow?, check that everything is okey with the fans on the GPU. Turn up the fan speed while gaming.

I honestly don't know whats the room temp is. It's usually around high 70c to around 80c degrees outside all year round. where this week has been hitting the 90's. I think the airflow is ok, but I might need to show you guy's a picture so you can decide. case is corsair 650D, so there is a lot of space in the case.

motherboard's temp is( I got these from cpuid hw monitor):

TZ00: 28C

TZ01: 30C

TMPIN0: 42C

TMPIN1: 45C

TMPIN2: 32C

cpu's is 39c to 40c( have a corsair h80 cooler, but i guess it isn't working properly)

right now the gpu's is 39c with fan speed at 80%

to 04dcarraher

I don't know what you mean by blower type, but this is just a regular gtx 670. similar to this:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5818/GeForce_GTX_670_3qtr-1.jpg

i actually created this thread because 2ndwonder reminded me about it when he mention something wrong with his computer in the pc showcase thread.

Dude I highly doubt you live in 70-80c temps You be dead unless your a Tholian....

lol ,

I think you have your conversions mixed up.

Hottest the human body can withstand is 140F(60C) for short periods but at 105F for long periods can kill you if your not careful.

Moving on,

Since your cpu temps and other items are 40c or below. That type of cooler is a blower, and if your fan is at 80% to keep it at 39c and if its not dusty it sounds like you need to clean off and re-apply thermal paste to the gpu which should fix it . Or you could just get an aftermarket cooler to be able to get lower temps.

#17 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22091 posts) -

@04dcarraher

My bad I meant 86F not Celsius. aftermarket cooler for the gpu? I might need to import one because I never seen them in the pc shops here or ask if they can bring one down. If I can get one from a pc shop, I might need to ask for a well known brand for them to bring down. Would it be ok to import thermal paste too? Someone mention getting noctua thermal paste.

#18 Posted by 04dcarraher (18854 posts) -

Any thermal paste that has a thermal conductivity rating of 4+ W/mK will be fine. The good stuff have 6+ rating like Tuniq TX 4 or Arctic MX4 etc.

As for a gpu aftermarket coolers, there are options like ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme 3, or Accelero Twin Turbo II

#19 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

my 680gtx is right now about 56c idle, under max load it hits 84c. runs good, no artifacts or lockups or bluescreens and i been running it since early 2012. Thermal limit for my card is in the high 90s on it so i'm not worried. I have it overclocked.

Your idle temps are not bad, but 97c for load is at its thermal limits, i don't think it should be that high unless you have it clocked really high.

I think if you start taking off heatsinks on your gpu it could void the warranty since its not meant to have that done.. but im not sure about that... if its under warranty i'd ask them about it before you start ripping things off the card and breaking it.

But the room my pc is in its always about 22-23c, so since your in a hot climate, i'm not sure what you can do to help keep the temps down either.

#20 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13678 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@horgen123 said:

Unless your room temperature is up in the 40-ish C, it shouldn't run that hot. As others have suggested. Clean the heatsink, how good is the case airflow?, check that everything is okey with the fans on the GPU. Turn up the fan speed while gaming.

I honestly don't know whats the room temp is. It's usually around high 70c to around 80c degrees outside all year round. where this week has been hitting the 90's. I think the airflow is ok, but I might need to show you guy's a picture so you can decide. case is corsair 650D, so there is a lot of space in the case.

motherboard's temp is( I got these from cpuid hw monitor):

TZ00: 28C

TZ01: 30C

TMPIN0: 42C

TMPIN1: 45C

TMPIN2: 32C

cpu's is 39c to 40c( have a corsair h80 cooler, but i guess it isn't working properly)

right now the gpu's is 39c with fan speed at 80%

to 04dcarraher

I don't know what you mean by blower type, but this is just a regular gtx 670. similar to this:

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/5818/GeForce_GTX_670_3qtr-1.jpg

i actually created this thread because 2ndwonder reminded me about it when he mention something wrong with his computer in the pc showcase thread.

Dude I highly doubt you live in 70-80c temps You be dead unless your a Tholian....

I'm sorry... but LMFAO

Removing the cooler would void the warranty if there is a sticker attached to it preventing you from removing it.

It could be your case, unless it's a blower style gpu blowing air from the back.

#21 Edited by Allurez (31 posts) -

@RevanBITW: Retard much!? It worked for me, since when is this scam?

#22 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13678 posts) -

@Allurez said:

@TheShadowLord07: Hi, I had the same problem like a month ago with my GTX 660 Ti. I was going crazy and getting worried because I was getting around 97 (celsius) in-game and around 56 (celsius) on idle. I would install the latest driver and it would get better, but not good and each time I booted the PC again the problem appeared. So, I started searching and I finally found a program that solved me the problem, it's called Rogue Killer. This program finds errors and it either deletes them or fixes them, it's a very easy program to use and it's absolutely free. I advise you to try that. Now my temps (in celsius) are like 65 in-game and 32 idling.

Are you implying malicious software is mining crypto coins?

#23 Posted by Allurez (31 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet: OMG you people are so stupid and naive! If I only had some way to show you it worked. FYI I found out that another person that was having the same problem as me in a forum and that person mentioned the software Rogue Killer, the person said it worked and I was desperate and I had nothing else to lose so I tried it and it freaking worked. Stop being so stupid.

#24 Posted by Postmortem123 (7561 posts) -

@Allurez said:

@Gaming-Planet: OMG you people are so stupid and naive! If I only had some way to show you it worked. FYI I found out that another person that was having the same problem as me in a forum and that person mentioned the software Rogue Killer, the person said it worked and I was desperate and I had nothing else to lose so I tried it and it freaking worked. Stop being so stupid.

Top kek

#25 Posted by insane_metalist (5848 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.

the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

My bottom one gets 68C highest too and that's benchmarking. When gaming it doesn't even get near there.

#26 Posted by 04dcarraher (18854 posts) -
@Allurez said:

@Gaming-Planet: OMG you people are so stupid and naive! If I only had some way to show you it worked. FYI I found out that another person that was having the same problem as me in a forum and that person mentioned the software Rogue Killer, the person said it worked and I was desperate and I had nothing else to lose so I tried it and it freaking worked. Stop being so stupid.

It seems you have no idea why it worked if its true, and coming off like you did above is not the way to prove your point. Rogue killer is just a anti-malware and registry fixer. Unless you had virus/malware bitcoins hijacking your gpu, It would not have fixed your high gpu temps by itself. Also the TC's issues sounds like ambient temp and thermal paste issue.

#27 Posted by kitty (114195 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.

the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

My bottom one gets 68C highest too and that's benchmarking. When gaming it doesn't even get near there.

Nice. I'd like to have lower temps if possible. I'm gonna order some case fans in about 2 weeks. I hope they help as I just have the ones that came with my case. Although I don't have super high temps, but lower is better and if those help, I'm all for it.

#28 Posted by Allurez (31 posts) -

@04dcarraher: I'm going to be honest and tell you I'm new to PC's so I don't have a clue what was messing with my GPU but FFS please stop accusing me of spamming or other bullshit that I'm not doing.

#29 Posted by adamosmaki (9335 posts) -

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

44C idle is not that hot especially if you live in a country where it gets 35-40C ambient temps so his idle temps are perfectly normal . But yes hitting over 90C when gaming that is quite high

Tc before applying thermal paste download Msi afterburner and create a profile so that your GPU fans will spin higher when GPU starts going over 80C

Also make sure airflow in your pc case is the optimal ( usually front fans for intake and rear fans for air exhaust )

#30 Posted by insane_metalist (5848 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.

the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

My bottom one gets 68C highest too and that's benchmarking. When gaming it doesn't even get near there.

Nice. I'd like to have lower temps if possible. I'm gonna order some case fans in about 2 weeks. I hope they help as I just have the ones that came with my case. Although I don't have super high temps, but lower is better and if those help, I'm all for it.

I doubt case fans will help but if you're gonna go for those kinda fans then look into Corsair Performance Edition. They're expensive but they're worth it.

#31 Edited by kitty (114195 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.

the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

My bottom one gets 68C highest too and that's benchmarking. When gaming it doesn't even get near there.

Nice. I'd like to have lower temps if possible. I'm gonna order some case fans in about 2 weeks. I hope they help as I just have the ones that came with my case. Although I don't have super high temps, but lower is better and if those help, I'm all for it.

I doubt case fans will help but if you're gonna go for those kinda fans then look into Corsair Performance Edition. They're expensive but they're worth it.

I was actually looking at some Cosair ones, but not the ones you mentioned. I wanted some with leds.
Price isn't too much of a concern, I just want something good. I would buy some this friday, but I'm buying this.

#32 Edited by MlauTheDaft (2962 posts) -

I would'nt worry about the idle temps. My Corsair RM750 PSU loves to stay in "0-RPM mode" (the fan starts up rather late), and the increased heat has made my idle skyrocket to 45 degrees.

It still does'nt exceed 70 in gaming, so it's only really load temps you should worry about.

Edit:

In MSI Afterburner you can set "Power Limit" to 100, that might help although I believe it did'nt become linked to temperature untill the 7xx series.

#33 Posted by insane_metalist (5848 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

44C idling? That's pretty hot.. Both of my 760s idle @ 28C-32C and the highest they've gotten was 79C.

I doubt thermal paste would help more then few degrees..

my 7870s idle around 30c and my top peaks at 79c, while the bottom reaches mid 60's. In fact the bottom has never gone passed 68c.

the only time I see 44c while idle is if I plug in my second monitor

I think the best bet would be to put a fps cap on the games and turn down the settings.

My bottom one gets 68C highest too and that's benchmarking. When gaming it doesn't even get near there.

Nice. I'd like to have lower temps if possible. I'm gonna order some case fans in about 2 weeks. I hope they help as I just have the ones that came with my case. Although I don't have super high temps, but lower is better and if those help, I'm all for it.

I doubt case fans will help but if you're gonna go for those kinda fans then look into Corsair Performance Edition. They're expensive but they're worth it.

I was actually looking at some Cosair ones, but not the ones you mentioned. I wanted some with leds.

Price isn't too much of a concern, I just want something good. I would buy some this friday, but I'm buying this.

Keyboard looks dope! But that mouse looks like a pile of... I'm gonna buy this!

Also, take a look at this. It's pretty good price (you get two) and you can pick any LED color.

#34 Edited by kitty (114195 posts) -

@insane_metalist said:

Keyboard looks dope! But that mouse looks like a pile of... I'm gonna buy

this!

Also, take a look at this. It's pretty good price (you get two) and you can pick any LED color.

Yeah it's the main reason I want to buy. As for the mouse, yeah... it looks cheap and the reviews say it is. I won't care too much though, the keyboard makes it worth it to me. I can just buy another mouse, like the one you linked to.

That mouse looks pretty good. I can probably pick it up next week, along with two of the fans you linked to.

I'm going for a black and red theme. To match my new mobo. =P

#35 Edited by insane_metalist (5848 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

@insane_metalist said:

Keyboard looks dope! But that mouse looks like a pile of... I'm gonna buy

this!

Also, take a look at this. It's pretty good price (you get two) and you can pick any LED color.

Yeah it's the main reason I want to buy. As for the mouse, yeah... it looks cheap and the reviews say it is. I won't care too much though, the keyboard makes it worth it to me. I can just buy another mouse, like the one you linked to.

That mouse looks pretty good. I can probably pick it up next week, along with two of the fans you linked to.

I'm going for a black and red theme. To match my new mobo. =P

I have G105 backlit, it's pretty good for the price that I got it for.. I don't really care for mechanical keyboards this is enough for me to do my gaming and everything else.
I feel you on gaming in dark, I mostly game at night, I've had backlit keyboard for past 7 yrs. or so. They're very helpful!
That mouse looks nice, huh? Fast enough for all kinds of gaming and comes with weights and the price is quiet amazing!
I'm also gonna get those fans but I want em in purple (my setup is white & blue LEDs). I've been wanting to swap out white for purple for a while now.
I have tons of red fans, I switch my setup (red to blue) every year or so. Specially now it's nice because my mobo is black/gun metal/silverish colors so any colors look good with it!
What kinda mobo??

#36 Posted by kitty (114195 posts) -

I have G105 backlit, it's pretty good for the price that I got it for.. I don't really care for mechanical keyboards this is enough for me to do my gaming and everything else.

I feel you on gaming in dark, I mostly game at night, I've had backlit keyboard for past 7 yrs. or so. They're very helpful!

That mouse looks nice, huh? Fast enough for all kinds of gaming and comes with weights and the price is quiet amazing!

I'm also gonna get those fans but I want em in purple (my setup is white & blue LEDs). I've been wanting to swap out white for purple for a while now.

I have tons of red fans, I switch my setup (red to blue) every year or so. Specially now it's nice because my mobo is black/gun metal/silverish colors so any colors look good with it!

What kinda mobo??

Looks nice. checked it out on newegg. I think thats all that really matters. As long as you happy with it.
I can imagine. I just started using the num keys as hot keys for a game, and I'm not quite used to those and it sucks. But having one in general would be better. Saves that hassle.

Yes it does, I'm sure it would go well with the new motherboard ordered. Would be x100 better than my current for gaming. It's just a standard mouse.
Price is a steal imo.

I haven't looked through the post your set up topic, you have any pictures in there? I like purple and blue. Would definitely be something different.
So you've doing this awhile. I'll be just starting. So maybe I can get some ideas from you. My current mobo is plan black. I guess anything could go with it.

I got this for $114 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130693 only $5 for shipping. Might be today or tomorrow.

#37 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22091 posts) -

well my gpu reach 101 c today and it looks its going to die soon if I play more games. even heard even the case fans(or gpu fans) being loud even though the speed is default. I am not sure if thermal paste could work either. I'll see again tomorrow if the gpu reaches those temps. Might need to send an rma. Its not even hot day.

off topic: How do I use the motherboards hdmi if I do have to send in the gpu again? I read somewhere I have to uninstall the nvidia's drivers which is going to be pain. Can anyone confirm this?

#38 Posted by Postmortem123 (7561 posts) -

well my gpu reach 101 c today and it looks its going to die soon if I play more games. even heard even the case fans(or gpu fans) being loud even though the speed is default. I am not sure if thermal paste could work either. I'll see again tomorrow if the gpu reaches those temps. Might need to send an rma. Its not even hot day.

off topic: How do I use the motherboards hdmi if I do have to send in the gpu again? I read somewhere I have to uninstall the nvidia's drivers which is going to be pain. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah that's pretty crazy, either the TIM has dried up or the cooler has bad contact with the die.

#39 Edited by glez13 (8482 posts) -

According to Nvidia 97C is the maximum it should reach. So basically to be safe you should want it to be lower than 82C if you want to follow the 15% rule, although others prefer the 20%.

#40 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22091 posts) -

@TheShadowLord07 said:

well my gpu reach 101 c today and it looks its going to die soon if I play more games. even heard even the case fans(or gpu fans) being loud even though the speed is default. I am not sure if thermal paste could work either. I'll see again tomorrow if the gpu reaches those temps. Might need to send an rma. Its not even hot day.

off topic: How do I use the motherboards hdmi if I do have to send in the gpu again? I read somewhere I have to uninstall the nvidia's drivers which is going to be pain. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah that's pretty crazy, either the TIM has dried up or the cooler has bad contact with the die.

how could the thermal paste dried up? and what could have cause the cooler to have a bad contact with the gpu die?

#41 Posted by 04dcarraher (18854 posts) -

@Postmortem123 said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

well my gpu reach 101 c today and it looks its going to die soon if I play more games. even heard even the case fans(or gpu fans) being loud even though the speed is default. I am not sure if thermal paste could work either. I'll see again tomorrow if the gpu reaches those temps. Might need to send an rma. Its not even hot day.

off topic: How do I use the motherboards hdmi if I do have to send in the gpu again? I read somewhere I have to uninstall the nvidia's drivers which is going to be pain. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah that's pretty crazy, either the TIM has dried up or the cooler has bad contact with the die.

how could the thermal paste dried up? and what could have cause the cooler to have a bad contact with the gpu die?

The constant heating and cooling of the material breaks down and it breaks the seal between the cooler and gpu. Go pick up some thermal paste and clean off the old with alcohol apply the new and put it back together.

#42 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

97C is insanely hot, GPUs aren't meant to run this high. Your GPU is gonna have a short life if you keep playing without doing something about it.

I would apply a fresh thermal paste in the GPU, and importantly clear any dust and keep it clean. Use EVGA Precision X to increase the speed of the fan.

#43 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22091 posts) -

actually this is pretty weird. I forgot to mention I was playing dragon age origins earlier. Thing is that temps are crazy when I play this game. It jumps very high in just a few minutes. However, when I was trying skyrim, it hovers around 60c to 70c. i am not even how is this possible. i want to to try out deus ex human revolution, but I can't force evga precision or msi afterburner.

#44 Posted by Postmortem123 (7561 posts) -

actually this is pretty weird. I forgot to mention I was playing dragon age origins earlier. Thing is that temps are crazy when I play this game. It jumps very high in just a few minutes. However, when I was trying skyrim, it hovers around 60c to 70c. i am not even how is this possible. i want to to try out deus ex human revolution, but I can't force evga precision or msi afterburner.

Isn't Skyrim locked to 60fps by default? Possibly why.