Wait for this monitor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Or get the Asus ROG SWIFT?

The world's first IPS monitor with 144hz and g-sync is coming out next month.

Acer XB270HU

27"

1440p res

IPS panel

144hz

G-Sync

4ms response time

Only specs that are different is the swift has 1ms response time and is a TN panel monitor. So sacrifice 3ms response time for an IPS monitor or get the swift? I can't seem to find a price for this monitor though since it doesn't come out till March. Hopefully it's under the $800 price tag of the swift. What do you all think?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Based on specs I'd wait and get the Acer.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Wait on Acer but make sure you have enough GPU power to properly run games.
I feel like, it's gonna be over $800.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Has acers monitor quality improved? I went from a 233 something acer monitor and it was about as average as it gets.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Personally, I'm waiting. I've been intending to get a new monitor to upgrade from my Dell IPS and unlike most people here, I like to use my PC with other people in the room, and I don't want to have to be stuck with less-than-stellar viewing angles. Furthermore, both my Panasonic Plasma (S60) and U2412M have great picture quality so anything less would really stick out like a sore thumb, especially after spending a ton of money. I'd really like an upgrade to my black levels, contrast, color accuracy, etc. as opposed to upgrading to higher resolutions and refresh rates with worse aspects of picture quality.

But, it's a gamble. We don't know how good that particular monitor will be, or if it's worth the price. I'm going to wait for more options before I jump on board. It's really up to you if it's worth it. I'm pretty satisfied with my gear so I'm in no rush - if you aren't satisfied with yours, it's not a bad idea to upgrade. But then again, the Swift has been around for awhile and there's new stuff right around the corner. It could pay to be patient.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Personally, I'm waiting. I've been intending to get a new monitor to upgrade from my Dell IPS and unlike most people here, I like to use my PC with other people in the room, and I don't want to have to be stuck with less-than-stellar viewing angles. Furthermore, both my Panasonic Plasma (S60) and U2412M have great picture quality so anything less would really stick out like a sore thumb, especially after spending a ton of money. I'd really like an upgrade to my black levels, contrast, color accuracy, etc. as opposed to upgrading to higher resolutions and refresh rates with worse aspects of picture quality.

But, it's a gamble. We don't know how good that particular monitor will be, or if it's worth the price. I'm going to wait for more options before I jump on board. It's really up to you if it's worth it. I'm pretty satisfied with my gear so I'm in no rush - if you aren't satisfied with yours, it's not a bad idea to upgrade. But then again, the Swift has been around for awhile and there's new stuff right around the corner. It could pay to be patient.

I have a u2412m at work and my pb278qs at home are better in every way.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@GummiRaccoon said:

I have a u2412m at work and my pb278qs at home are better in every way.

Maybe that's bias playing into effect? Maybe the monitors at work are miscalibrated? Or the color profiles on the computers themselves?

Comparing the stats of this and this review, the U2412M stomps it in black levels ( .23 cd/m2 vs .31 ) , contrast (1106:1 vs 500:1), better input lag (9.6ms vs 16.6), less clouding on dark images, more accurate colors, etc.

So I'm not really sure how a monitor that objectively reviews worse in stats is better. Of course, no two monitors, even of the same make and model, are identical. I won't doubt that you like your monitor more, but I'm more inclined to like the monitor that has better stats upon professional review with professional measurement equipment. Valve and many other businesses use Dell monitors in professional artistic design situations for a reason - their Ultrasharp line is pretty damn good. If I'm going to upgrade at this point, I want more than size. If I upgrade, I'm going to want G-Sync in addition to the general picture quality I'm already getting (and more size).

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Jr14 said:

Acer XB270HU

27"

1440p res

IPS panel

144hz

G-Sync

4ms response time

Only specs that are different is the swift has 1ms response time and is a TN panel monitor. So sacrifice 3ms response time for an IPS monitor or get the swift? I can't seem to find a price for this monitor though since it doesn't come out till March. Hopefully it's under the $800 price tag of the swift. What do you all think?

It's still 4ms - don't know how much gaming that is.

Wouldn't go with Acer as a brand, if you have the money go with Asus ROG SWIFT, I would go with IPS monitor any time - not with that brand though

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@Jr14 said:

Acer XB270HU

27"

1440p res

IPS panel

144hz

G-Sync

4ms response time

Wouldn't go with Acer as a brand, if you have the money go with Asus ROG SWIFT, I would go with IPS monitor any time - not with that brand though

Response times aren't really that important, what is important is input lag.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Jr14 said:

Acer XB270HU

27"

1440p res

IPS panel

144hz

G-Sync

4ms response time

Response times aren't really that important, what is important is input lag.

Acer has been making pretty good monitors this past year. I wasn't so sure either until I got my 1440P Acer and it's been really good to me. I couldn't ask for more for the price that I got it for.

My friend just bought an Acer XB270H - 144hz, 1ms, G-Synic, 1080P and it's actually pretty sweet, he loves it. I played about 4 hrs. total on it and loved it myself.

You can get an Acer XB280HK. It's $20 cheaper then ROG Swift and it's a 1ms, 4K monitor w/ G-Sync.

4ms is totally fine. My monitor is 6ms and I can't complain.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#12 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

gsync 144hz ips is the type of monitor i've been waiting for also.

But being patient may pay off when more brands start making them and the prices become a bit lower.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I'm waiting for this one.

Acer Predator XR341CK

It's about time for a new desktop PC this year and this looks like a perfect fit for something pretty.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Personally, I'm waiting. I've been intending to get a new monitor to upgrade from my Dell IPS and unlike most people here, I like to use my PC with other people in the room, and I don't want to have to be stuck with less-than-stellar viewing angles. Furthermore, both my Panasonic Plasma (S60) and U2412M have great picture quality so anything less would really stick out like a sore thumb,

if those 2 are in the same room, you could just duplicate the display to the TV, that's what i do.

it would make poor viewing angles on your display much more tolerable and everyone else can just look at the TV.