Wait for the 380x or get the 970 gtx?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Hey guys, I currently have a 450 gts in my rig. Everything is pretty much up to date besides that, so I was wondering if I should upgrade to the 970 gtx or wait till the 380x comes out?

Already posted this question in System wars, but I've come to a conclusion between these two. Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Wait for 380X to come out so you could buy R9 290 for even less than it's current price XD

pooltable19876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 pooltable19876
Member since 2014 • 31 Posts

i have a gtx 970 and its great, of course the newer/not yet released cards will be a little better than the already released cards but with nvidia u get all the nvidia features like physx dsr shadowplay.it really depends on u, if u cant wait, go for the 970 ( its an awesome card and its cheap ), if u can wait, then .... wait for 380x :)

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 top_lel
Member since 2014 • 886 Posts

@steaminpotatoes said:

In short i don't think you can go wrong with either , personally not a fan of ATI anymore because of driver issues, but guess it depends on the price difference , not sure if there has been any announcements about pricing in regards to the x390.

The driver issues are a thing of past now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts
@top_lel said:

@steaminpotatoes said:

In short i don't think you can go wrong with either , personally not a fan of ATI anymore because of driver issues, but guess it depends on the price difference , not sure if there has been any announcements about pricing in regards to the x390.

And has been for a long time. Its always interesting to read the claim of about driver issues from people who don't use ATI cards or are simply parroting what they read on the internet.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 top_lel

@Pedro said:
@top_lel said:

@steaminpotatoes said:

And has been for a long time. Its always interesting to read the claim of about driver issues from people who don't use ATI cards or are simply parroting what they read on the internet.

He's been using the 5870 for a long time. The driver issues existed only in the early days of all the hd series. With r7 and r9 series, they're almost non-existent. So that maybe the reason.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

if the rumors are true the r9 390x sounds really powerful. Also since all the consoles use AMD this could mean better support for amd gpus in the future. the 970 is not really much of an upgrade from the 770 just uses less power.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

playing the wait game on pc hardware is counterproductive. The only time to wait is only when its certain new hardware will be released in coming days.

Whats the worst that can happen ? Buy a product that performs slightly worse but still a great performing product

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Its hard but wait. 20nm>28nm

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

playing the wait game on pc hardware is counterproductive. The only time to wait is only when its certain new hardware will be released in coming days.

Whats the worst that can happen ? Buy a product that performs slightly worse but still a great performing product

if the leaked benchmarks are true, the r9 380x will be as strong as 980ti (gm200 cut down). Its going to be a significant difference.

Daian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By Daian
Member since 2005 • 2901 Posts

@top_lel: optimization is still an issue with AMD cards.

@SimplyFatal get the GTX 970. The 380x will most likely require an entire power plant to run and will get extremely hot. You'd probably have to buy a new PSU too because of it unless u have a really powerful one.

The 970 is more than enough for any game out there including near future titles.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 top_lel

@Daian: Well, that's not AMD's fault tho.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

go with the 970

amd sucks

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

go with the 970

amd sucks

I don't agree.

This is the first AMD card I have had in probably 10+ years and so far it's been great especially with the latest drivers.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

go with the 970

amd sucks

I don't agree.

This is the first AMD card I have had in probably 10+ years and so far it's been great especially with the latest drivers.

AMD has gotten alot better over the last 5 years, it wasn't until late 2012 when AMD finally got a handle on driver quality. However they still do tend to have issues especially with their newly release cards and it takes them awhile to get a handle on it. Their 200 series cards had many crossfire issues especially with dx 9 based games with frame timings and many experienced black screen bugs caused by drivers and or hardware issue. Nvidia just tends to be just more consistent with their products. If you can a good deal on AMD vs their Nvidia counterpart then their no problem however if prices are similar there is no question Nvidia all the way.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BSC14

@04dcarraher said:

@BSC14 said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

go with the 970

amd sucks

I don't agree.

AMD has gotten alot better over the last 5 years, it wasn't until late 2012 when AMD finally got a handle on driver quality. However they still do tend to have issues especially with their newly release cards and it takes them awhile to get a handle on it. Their 200 series cards had many crossfire issues especially with dx 9 based games with frame timings and many experienced black screen bugs caused by drivers and or hardware issue. Nvidia just tends to be just more consistent with their products. If you can a good deal on AMD vs their Nvidia counterpart then their no problem however if prices are similar there is no question Nvidia all the way.

I had the black screen problem. I can't speak for all r9 290s but mine was a problem with the bios....evidently it was not pulling enough power for the card. Updated the card's bios and have not had a single problem even once with the card.

However, I can say that I have not seen those kinds of problems with nvidia. I find the nvidia cards/drivers to be a lot more polished generally.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

go with the 970

amd sucks

This a million times.

Who the hell would pass on an Nvidia card to wait on an AMD card? Thats just crazy talk!

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#21 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

The balance between energy usage to raw power are ridiculous on the 970 and 980. That and AMD sucks. Look at the performance of the PS4 and Xbox One.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BSC14

wow lots of amd hate here.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@top_lel said:

@steaminpotatoes said:

I can never trust when people say this because they were saying the same thing while I was having driver issues...

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BSC14

@MuD3 said:

@top_lel said:

@steaminpotatoes said:

I can never trust when people say this because they were saying the same thing while I was having driver issues...

I have an amd card and trust NVidia drivers much more. That said all the "amd sucks" stuff is a bit stupid imo.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BSC14

@Legend002 said:

The balance between energy usage to raw power are ridiculous on the 970 and 980. That and AMD sucks. Look at the performance of the PS4 and Xbox One.

I'm not sure the crappy consoles mean anything at all.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 04dcarraher

@BSC14 said:

@Legend002 said:

I'm not sure the crappy consoles mean anything at all.

Might be talking about the tdp limit, performance per watt

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 top_lel

@MuD3 said:

@top_lel said:

@steaminpotatoes said:

Which GPU did you have? because iirc, these problems disappeared with the R-200 series.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@top_lel said:

@MuD3 said:

@top_lel said:

@steaminpotatoes said:

Which GPU did you have? because iirc, these problems disappeared with the R-200 series.

Exactly what problems are you referring to anyways? I've never had any driver problems with my 7950.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 04dcarraher

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@top_lel said:

Exactly what problems are you referring to anyways? I've never had any driver problems with my 7950.

Actually no, the problems didn't quite disappear with the 200 series, many issues took awhile to fix especially frame timings with crossfire( the latest drivers have done to good job) , Then some are still are experiencing issues with the black screen problem. How long have you had that 7950 because prior to early to mid 2013 there were plenty of issues with performance and crossfire frame timings.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Get R9 290 or GTX 970.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@top_lel:

I had issues with my 5770 and 6850.... "amd driver issues are a thing of the past" just seems to be the rally cry of amd fans. For all I know they very well might be a thing of the past, but i'm never going to take that chance again when i've never had similar issues with nvidia.

top_lel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By top_lel

@MuD3 said:

@top_lel:

I had issues with my 5770 and 6850.... "amd driver issues are a thing of the past" just seems to be the rally cry of amd fans. For all I know they very well might be a thing of the past, but i'm never going to take that chance again when i've never had similar issues with nvidia.

Your choice then. But from my experience, I haven't had a single problem with my GPU here. Driver issues exist on Nvidia's side too, it's just that AMD has kinda earned this reputation for themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

290X Lightning is a nice card and is super cheap right now, at least in the UK. I got one and am happy with it.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46226 Posts

@Legend002 said:

Yeah, I'm sure if consoles used an Nvidia card their performance would be much better o_0

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BSC14

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Legend002 said:

Yeah, I'm sure if consoles used an Nvidia card their performance would be much better o_0

Just think, if they had gone with NVidia they could run at 1080....

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@BSC14 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Legend002 said:

Can't be proven nor disproven. So this is really no discussion.

I just think saying "AMD sucks. Look at the performance of the PS4 and Xbox One." doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Especially not when it comes to PC gaming. Console performance has always been worse than PC.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BSC14

@R4gn4r0k said:

@BSC14 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Legend002 said:

Can't be proven nor disproven. So this is really no discussion.

I just think saying "AMD sucks. Look at the performance of the PS4 and Xbox One." doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Especially not when it comes to PC gaming. Console performance has always been worse than PC.

I was being sarcastic :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R4gn4r0k

@BSC14 said:

I was being sarcastic :)

Hehe, I can never tell on this site though :P