Viruses are on my PC. Will a reinstall of Windows get rid of them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hopkins_J (2035 posts) -

Does anyone know?

#2 Posted by jalexbrown (11432 posts) -
It will 99% of the time, but I've been in the unlucky 1% where the virus actually infected some area of the HDD that isn't part of the OS install.
#3 Posted by gmaster456 (7561 posts) -

Yes. Reinstalling windows will get rid of viruses 99.99% of the time unless they are on another area of your HDD like the other user said

#4 Posted by gameguy6700 (12197 posts) -

For most viruses, yes. However, as the other people in this thread have stated, there are a few really nasty viruses out there that are programmed in such a way so as to avoid being removed by reformats. As a result, I would recommend that if you're reformatting due to a virus infection that you use a little program called DBAN ("Darik's Boot and Nuke") which actually wipes all the data on a drive (multiple times in fact) unlike a reformat which just removes the index entries for all the data but still leaves the data completely intact on the drive.

edit: Oh wow would you look at that, my 10000th post :o

#5 Posted by Tauruslink (6586 posts) -

For most viruses, yes. However, as the other people in this thread have stated, there are a few really nasty viruses out there that are programmed in such a way so as to avoid being removed by reformats. As a result, I would recommend that if you're reformatting due to a virus infection that you use a little program called DBAN ("Darik's Boot and Nuke") which actually wipes all the data on a drive (multiple times in fact) unlike a reformat which just removes the index entries for all the data but still leaves the data completely intact on the drive.

gameguy6700
Congrats!
#6 Posted by gmaster456 (7561 posts) -

gameguy6700
Congrats! Lets head on over to OT for a partayy.