Viruses are on my PC. Will a reinstall of Windows get rid of them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts

Does anyone know?

jalexbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 jalexbrown
Member since 2006 • 11432 Posts
It will 99% of the time, but I've been in the unlucky 1% where the virus actually infected some area of the HDD that isn't part of the OS install.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

Yes. Reinstalling windows will get rid of viruses 99.99% of the time unless they are on another area of your HDD like the other user said

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

For most viruses, yes. However, as the other people in this thread have stated, there are a few really nasty viruses out there that are programmed in such a way so as to avoid being removed by reformats. As a result, I would recommend that if you're reformatting due to a virus infection that you use a little program called DBAN ("Darik's Boot and Nuke") which actually wipes all the data on a drive (multiple times in fact) unlike a reformat which just removes the index entries for all the data but still leaves the data completely intact on the drive.

edit: Oh wow would you look at that, my 10000th post :o

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts

For most viruses, yes. However, as the other people in this thread have stated, there are a few really nasty viruses out there that are programmed in such a way so as to avoid being removed by reformats. As a result, I would recommend that if you're reformatting due to a virus infection that you use a little program called DBAN ("Darik's Boot and Nuke") which actually wipes all the data on a drive (multiple times in fact) unlike a reformat which just removes the index entries for all the data but still leaves the data completely intact on the drive.

gameguy6700
Congrats!
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

gameguy6700
Congrats! Lets head on over to OT for a partayy.