USE nvidia control panel to get more HZ out of your monitor!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2621 posts) -

go to nvidia control panel and custom refresh rate and i gurantee at least 90% will get at least 70hz or more out of your LCD

#2 Posted by C_Rule (9812 posts) -
I just... Don't even...
#3 Posted by FelipeInside (26176 posts) -
I just... Don't even...C_Rule
Me neither...
#4 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -

Yeah I already did this
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/660283-you-guys-know-you-can-overclock-lcd.html
I made a thread about it over there.

My vg236h 120hz display can do 123hz, from 120.
My 1080p dell s2409w can do 75hz at 1920x1080 on hdmi, dvi the scaler prevents it, which is lame.

This 1280x1024 dell panel I have next to me for another pc happily does 77hz at native res.

My np8130 laptop does 95hz at native res and below.
My dell vostro 1310 does 90hz, beyond that it's just a black display.

Totally worth it if you have a 60hz display. You can do it on ati cards as well, but it's through an external program.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

ATI cards never have them extra features, hence I tend to get nvidia gpus.

It's easier to overclock laptop displays since they don't seem to have a chip that monitors what refresh rate you are setting.

However, if you have an optimus laptop, then you cannot. Intel's igpu will not let you set a higher refresh rate. It may be possible through CRU, but I haven't tried, I don't own an optimus laptop.

#5 Posted by Marfoo (5994 posts) -

Yeah I already did this
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/660283-you-guys-know-you-can-overclock-lcd.html
I made a thread about it over there.

My vg236h 120hz display can do 123hz, from 120.
My 1080p dell s2409w can do 75hz at 1920x1080 on hdmi, dvi the scaler prevents it, which is lame.

This 1280x1024 dell panel I have next to me for another pc happily does 77hz at native res.

My np8130 laptop does 95hz at native res and below.
My dell vostro 1310 does 90hz, beyond that it's just a black display.

Totally worth it if you have a 60hz display. You can do it on ati cards as well, but it's through an external program.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

ATI cards never have them extra features, hence I tend to get nvidia gpus.

It's easier to overclock laptop displays since they don't seem to have a chip that monitors what refresh rate you are setting.

However, if you have an optimus laptop, then you cannot. Intel's igpu will not let you set a higher refresh rate.

JigglyWiggly_
Once upon a time there was a "force display mode" for ATI cards. Unfortunately that time has come and gone.
#6 Posted by kraken2109 (13201 posts) -

Are there any risks in doing this?

#7 Posted by kraken2109 (13201 posts) -

go to nvidia control panel and custom refresh rate and i gurantee at least 90% will get at least 70hz or more out of your LCD

_SKatEDiRt_
Guess I'm in the 10%, couldn't even do 65hz without messing up colours and ghosting
#8 Posted by Lox_Cropek (3512 posts) -

Already knew that, mine is doing 65Hz at the moment.

#9 Posted by z3zim4 (41 posts) -

Refresh rates have never been a problem for me since CRT monitors :) 60hz is enough for me

#10 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7514 posts) -

Found these settings for my monitor and managed to get it up to 75Hz http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037704069#post1037704069

But games ignore my custom res and force it back to 60Hz :(

#11 Posted by Lox_Cropek (3512 posts) -

Found these settings for my monitor and managed to get it up to 75Hz http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037704069#post1037704069

broken_bass_bin

Depends a lot on the game. Most games accept my refresh rate, though (mine is set at 65hz atm).

#12 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7514 posts) -

[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

Lox_Cropek

Depends a lot on the game. Most games accept my refresh rate, though (mine is set at 65hz atm).

Yeah I just tried Bulletstorm and it worked.

Source games seem to ignore it though. Even if I force the refresh rate in the command line.

#13 Posted by Lox_Cropek (3512 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lox_Cropek"]

broken_bass_bin

Source games seem to ignore it though. Even if I force the refresh rate in the command line.

Also depends on the standard used

#14 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lox_Cropek"]

[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]Depends a lot on the game. Most games accept my refresh rate, though (mine is set at 65hz atm).

broken_bass_bin

Source games do work with the increased refresh rate. I know because on my np8130 cs go, css all run at at 95hz. You can always add -freq 75 in the startup paramaters as well

Refresh rates have never been a problem for me since CRT monitors :) 60hz is enough for me

z3zim4
you mean if you are a casual*
#15 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7514 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lox_Cropek"]

JigglyWiggly_

Source games do work with the increased refresh rate. I know because on my np8130 cs go, css all run at at 95hz. You can always add -freq 75 in the startup paramaters as well

Tried this with both Half-Life 2 and Portal 2, monitor switches back to 60Hz as soon as they start up :(

#16 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

broken_bass_bin

Tried this with both Half-Life 2 and Portal 2, monitor switches back to 60Hz as soon as they start up :(

Try mat_dxlevel 80 as well, that might let it work. I had problems once, and then I tried it in dx8 and it worked. I can't be totally sure though, at one point I was having issues with my laptop, but then it worked. Can't remember what I did.
#17 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5420 posts) -
Cool, I was able to get my Asus monitor to run at 70hz (default max 60).
#18 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5420 posts) -
With 70hz my monitors contrast is better... Why does refresh rate effect your monitors colour? It really has changed, I'm not imagining it, it's really obvious with gamespots 2 shades of black.
#19 Posted by Yams1980 (778 posts) -

my old 60hz monitor i could raise it to about 70hz (i didn't notice advantage from this though), but my newer 60hz monitor if i raise it at all it will cause huge screen tearing.

So if i were you all, I wouldn't bother trying this. You will just run into problems and maybe even damage your monitor.

#20 Posted by G13RainbowSix (908 posts) -

does this only work when running through a dvi cable? I am using hdmi 1.4...

#21 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -

does this only work when running through a dvi cable? I am using hdmi 1.4...

G13RainbowSix
Works fine on hdmi, depends on your monitor though. Could also try VGA if it has it.
#22 Posted by kraken2109 (13201 posts) -

Am I the only one it didn't work for? :(

#23 Posted by yellonet (7768 posts) -

z3zim4

Same here, on my CRT's I was happy at about 85 Hz, but on LCD 60 Hz is enough.

#24 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -

[QUOTE="z3zim4"]

yellonet

For casuals*
#25 Posted by yellonet (7768 posts) -

[QUOTE="yellonet"]

[QUOTE="z3zim4"]

JigglyWiggly_

For casuals*

...and people who actually know what they're doing.

#26 Posted by Horgen (110865 posts) -

Am I the only one it didn't work for? :(

kraken2109
I haven't tried on mine. Actually I can't find where I change it in the nVidia Control panel.
#27 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Hey that's pretty cool! I only got 66hz out of mine before I got image corruption. Still pretty cool to get 10% extra out of something I didn't know could be changed. Thanks TC.

#28 Posted by FelipeInside (26176 posts) -
Do people REALLY use this? I'm fine with my native settings. Always have been.
#29 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23818 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Do people REALLY use this? I'm fine with my native settings. Always have been.

If it ain't broken you aren't trying hard enough
#30 Posted by FelipeInside (26176 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Do people REALLY use this? I'm fine with my native settings. Always have been.

If it ain't broken you aren't trying hard enough

LOL. Been there done that. I remember trying things with IT and breaking them as you say. These days I just can't be bothered cause I'm busy with Work and Life. These days I just want my PC to work.
#31 Posted by Gambler_3 (7593 posts) -

This has been a feature for years btw, my monitor hits 67Hz max and well I dont really see the point.

This is how you do it for those who dont get it.

44512_10152170423805316_2132855027_n.jpg

#32 Posted by Chiddaling (9106 posts) -
So the specifications of my monitor say the max refresh rate is 60 Hz. I have the Acer S240HL. I bumped up to 65 Hz and I noticed a difference right away. Is it a bad idea to keep this, or to even go higher?
#33 Posted by FelipeInside (26176 posts) -
So the specifications of my monitor say the max refresh rate is 60 Hz. I have the Acer S240HL. I bumped up to 65 Hz and I noticed a difference right away. Is it a bad idea to keep this, or to even go higher?Chiddaling
I always went off the fact if Windows says it's supported or not.
#34 Posted by clyde46 (47421 posts) -
Whats the actual benefit of pushing the refresh rate higher than your monitor is rated at?
#35 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

Whats the actual benefit of pushing the refresh rate higher than your monitor is rated at?clyde46

The screen can then display more frames per second and there's less flicker. 60hz LCDs have always been hard on my eyes. I'll take the extra 10% bump.

#36 Posted by Chiddaling (9106 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chiddaling"]So the specifications of my monitor say the max refresh rate is 60 Hz. I have the Acer S240HL. I bumped up to 65 Hz and I noticed a difference right away. Is it a bad idea to keep this, or to even go higher?FelipeInside
I always went off the fact if Windows says it's supported or not.

Well atleast the control panel won't let me go above 66, so I guess I'll be ok @ 65.
#37 Posted by Gambler_3 (7593 posts) -

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Whats the actual benefit of pushing the refresh rate higher than your monitor is rated at?hartsickdiscipl

The screen can then display more frames per second and there's less flicker. 60hz LCDs have always been hard on my eyes. I'll take the extra 10% bump.

LCDs have no refresh rate related flicker....

#38 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Whats the actual benefit of pushing the refresh rate higher than your monitor is rated at?Gambler_3

Then why do my eyes hurt after sitting in front of a 60hz monitor for more than an hour or so? I can visibly detect what's causing it. It may not technically be flicker, but it feels just like it. That doesn't happen when I use a screen with a higher refresh rate. There is no question that 60hz LCDs are harder on the eyes than 120hz, for example.

#39 Posted by GamingVengeance (1874 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

hartsickdiscipl

Then why do my eyes hurt after sitting in front of a 60hz monitor for more than an hour or so? I can visibly detect what's causing it. It may not technically be flicker, but it feels just like it. That doesn't happen when I use a screen with a higher refresh rate. There is no question that 60hz LCDs are harder on the eyes than 120hz, for example.

Then buy a 120 hz monitor. Why would you wanna use a monitor that causes eye strain after just an hour of use? That's like a gamers worst nightmare
#40 Posted by Gambler_3 (7593 posts) -

hartsickdiscipl

I think because a 60hz LCD has more motion blur and judder than a 120hz one, thats whats causing you the headache and strain maybe. Even something as simple as minimizing a browser window would feel smoother with more refresh rate so less strain on eyes.

#41 Posted by hartsickdiscipl (14787 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]LCDs have no refresh rate related flicker....

GamingVengeance

Then buy a 120 hz monitor. Why would you wanna use a monitor that causes eye strain after just an hour of use? That's like a gamers worst nightmare

I use it as a sign that I've been in front of my computer for too long and need to take a break:P

#42 Posted by FelipeInside (26176 posts) -

[QUOTE="GamingVengeance"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

hartsickdiscipl

I use it as a sign that I've been in front of my computer for too long and need to take a break:P

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but you should get ur eyes checked. I say this because someone I know used to have the same problem as you, he went for a check and it turned out to be Macular Degeneration. Not trying to scare you or saying you have this, just advice.
#43 Posted by Idontremember (933 posts) -

Not sure if that's a really good idea????????????????????????????????????????????????????