Upgrading My Graphics Card?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MeowStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 MeowStan
Member since 2014 • 55 Posts

Hey guys so I've been looking at new computers but seeing as how my budget right now is not flexible enough to spend over a grand on a new rig I was thinking of getting a new graphics card. But, I need some help to see if mycomputer can handle it.

So my computer is 4ish years old but when I bought it it was a newer top of the line HP the model number is m9660f it has a lot of the same specs today's computers have just a bit less memory and an older GTX 9800 graphics card.

I wanna know if I buy a GTX 750 ti will I be able to install it and have it work? On the website it says the 750ti is compatible with pci express, which is what mine has. I'm just worried since my computer is a bit older it won't run properly or something terrible will happen lol. Can you guys help me out??

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

GTX 750ti will work just fine in that pc it uses less power then that 9800. And your current pc will run the sims and most games just fine with a gpu upgrade.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@meowstan said:

Hey guys so I've been looking at new computers but seeing as how my budget right now is not flexible enough to spend over a grand on a new rig I was thinking of getting a new graphics card. But, I need some help to see if mycomputer can handle it.

So my computer is 4ish years old but when I bought it it was a newer top of the line HP the model number is m9660f it has a lot of the same specs today's computers have just a bit less memory and an older GTX 9800 graphics card.

I wanna know if I buy a GTX 750 ti will I be able to install it and have it work? On the website it says the 750ti is compatible with pci express, which is what mine has. I'm just worried since my computer is a bit older it won't run properly or something terrible will happen lol. Can you guys help me out??

That gtx 750ti will be ideal for that system. You'll love that card. 60W and very powerfull, it's based on new maxwell architecture.The gtx 750 and 750ti are the only cards available now on maxwell architecture.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Like the others said go for it. It actually uses less power than the card you currently have so it shouldn't have compatibility problems. It will basically turn your "old" PC into something almost as good as a PS4, which means that you will get to enjoy all the current and modern games.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@glez13 said:

Like the others said go for it. It actually uses less power than the card you currently have so it shouldn't have compatibility problems. It will basically turn your "old" PC into something almost as good as a PS4, which means that you will get to enjoy all the current and modern games.

As far as I know the card has better performance in the games this early in the generation, but it'll become less relevant over time I'm sure.

It should work perfectly, tc. Like everyone said, it uses less power than the current card in your PC, so you don't need to worry about upgrading the power supply or anything like that. However, I saw in your other thread that you want to mainly play The Sims 4. The current 9800gt in that computer should work fine for that.

If you do choose to install a new card I'll tell you this; IT'S SO EASY!!!

It really is unbelievable how easy it is to put together a computer. If you go on youtube and search "replace video card in PC" you'll find lots of short videos on how to do it.

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#6 BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

I'd suggest an R9 270 or GTX 660. I'd agree with the 750Ti as a minimum. Anything less would be completely, totally, idiotic.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 glez13

@papatrop said:

@glez13 said:

As far as I know the card has better performance in the games this early in the generation, but it'll become less relevant over time I'm sure.

It should work perfectly, tc. Like everyone said, it uses less power than the current card in your PC, so you don't need to worry about upgrading the power supply or anything like that. However, I saw in your other thread that you want to mainly play The Sims 4. The current 9800gt in that computer should work fine for that.

If you do choose to install a new card I'll tell you this; IT'S SO EASY!!!

It really is unbelievable how easy it is to put together a computer. If you go on youtube and search "replace video card in PC" you'll find lots of short videos on how to do it.

Depends what you are comparing it to. Compared to consoles it's relative performance will remain during the whole lifetime of that console, obviously there will be exceptions like in anything else, but it should hold there. If you compare it to other PCs it will obviously get hit every year when basically new gpu series are introduced and new features are supposedly introduced into the sofware derived from this. So you will go from a console equivalent setting of high right now to a console equivalent setting of low in a few years, but the card should hold it's relative ground.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

750ti is your best bet. Any faster and your cpu will be a huge bottleneck.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#9 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

@BravoOneActual said:

I'd suggest an R9 270 or GTX 660. I'd agree with the 750Ti as a minimum. Anything less would be completely, totally, idiotic.

Don't agree; your cheap R9 is likely fake

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Guys? Can i play latest games as Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Watch Dogs and upcoming games for atleast 3 years with below built PC ? Currently short on money so can't invest in a High End P.C :(

MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

Intel 3.1 GHz LGA 1150 i5 4440 4th Generation Processor

Gigabyte GA-B85-D3H Motherboard (LGA 1150 Socket Type)

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@indzman said:

Guys? Can i play latest games as Dead Rising 3, Ryse, Watch Dogs and upcoming games for atleast 3 years with below built PC ? Currently short on money so can't invest in a High End P.C :(

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

You need a better GPU and if you hadthe K version of i5, you could squeeze more out of it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 indzman

@insane_metalist said:

@indzman said:

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

You need a better GPU and if you hadthe K version of i5, you could squeeze more out of it.

What GPU you suggest in mid range ( Should last me decently also)?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 indzman

@insane_metalist said:

@indzman said:

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

You mean this :

Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 4670K i5 4th Generation Processor ?

BravoOneActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By BravoOneActual
Member since 2010 • 799 Posts

Also, MeowStan, I'd stress that getting a 2GB card for anything less than a 750Ti is a waste of money -- and is very, very dumb. This is how hardware manufacturers take advantage of women and children and the elderly... Or noobs to tech who don't know any better. Even small mammals can be trained to understand weaker GPU's run out of juice and can't utilize all that frame buffer, so keep that in mind unless you like burning money or are a technewb. Or have a mid double-digit I.Q.

... Which I'm sure is not a problem for you Stan. Just a word to the wise ;). Good luck.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@indzman said:

@insane_metalist said:

@indzman said:

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

You mean this :

Always go for the K series because they can overclock, and with good aftermarket cooler on it you can really crank it up.. And if your on a budget I recommend you go something like the AMD 8350 over intel..

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 indzman

@sSubZerOo said:

@indzman said:

@insane_metalist said:

@indzman said:

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

You mean this :

Always go for the K series because they can overclock, and with good aftermarket cooler on it you can really crank it up.. And if your on a budget I recommend you go something like the AMD 8350 over intel..

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 glez13

@indzman said:

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

Everything you have is okay to play games on around PS4 settings and performance for as long as PS4 games exist.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 glez13

@indzman said:

8 gb ram

450 w PSU or 600 W PSU

Everything you have is okay to play games on around PS4 settings and performance for as long as PS4 games exist.

MeowStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 MeowStan
Member since 2014 • 55 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, but I actually bought the 750ti and tried installing it, and it did't work? Something with the size and my computer being pre-built and almost 6 years old. I tried to update my computer BIOS and everything and nothing worked and in the process my poor 9800GT, which was in my computer before the 750ti, got fried!! I have NO idea how, I mean it is what it is im looking into a new computer now and my parents will be using my old computer off its on board grahics. Thanks again all!