Upgrading from Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

This topic is locked from further discussion.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

So the XtremeMusic sound card has lasted me many years and it's finally starting to go out.  I was just wondering what would be a good worthy upgrade from this card?

I was looking at the Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX and it seems like it would be a good card, but I wanted some other people's recommendations.

Zaral_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Zaral_1
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts
I got a ZxR. It's a good card, i love it and never had any issues with it. I assume the Z will be similar
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 THGarrett

Yeah I was looking at that too and it seems it has a better DAC than Z and ZX, but it looks like you need high quality headphones in order to really appreciate it.  I own the ATH-M50 headphones so I don't know how much of a benefit I would get, and $250 is a lot of money for a sound card.

thundercave01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 thundercave01
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts

i always was an creative fan. but then i got in a sound studio and was wondering what kind of card they used, turns out that its was an ''asus essence STX card''...

so i bought one, and creative holds no candle to it... I've bin buying creative cards for 15 years or so... but this is probably the best stereo sound i've ever heard, on any system for that mater. it is ridicules, especially listening to ''flac'' files, provided you have a good headphone :) i got the card for 170,- or so, so not that expencive.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 THGarrett

i always was an creative fan. but then i got in a sound studio and was wondering what kind of card they used, turns out that its was an ''asus essence STX card''...

so i bought one, and creative holds no candle to it... I've bin buying creative cards for 15 years or so... but this is probably the best stereo sound i've ever heard, on any system for that mater. it is ridicules, especially listening to ''flac'' files, provided you have a good headphone :) i got the card for 170,- or so, so not that expencive.

thundercave01
It's my understanding that the driver support for the ASUS card is pretty poor though.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="thundercave01"]

THGarrett
It's my understanding that the driver support for the ASUS card is pretty poor though.

No worse than creative's
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I'd say X-Fi Titanium HD, seeing as it's still widely available (unlike the Onkyo SE-300PCIE and the Auzentech X-Fi variants) and is a very competent DAC while retaining all the usual X-Fi gaming features, like proper hardware DirectSound3D and OpenAL support (which Sound Core3D products do in software, with a few quirks and issues that don't occur on the hardware implementation). Also, unusually for a Creative product, the Titanium HD's drivers are pretty solid, a bit less quirky than the other X-Fi cards I've used. It's a strange case in that while it's NOT supported by the Daniel_K X-Fi Support Pack, I really don't mind at all this time. Then again, if you look far enough, you'll find complaints for pretty much every sound card when it comes to drivers. Creative, C-Media, Realtek, Aureal...
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I still have my Creative Audigy Sound Blaster Platinum Ex from 2002 I believe. serves me well to this day. Creative or go home!!!