This topic is locked from further discussion.

bssauter13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bssauter13
Member since 2007 • 545 Posts

When you upgrade your computer do you have to wipe the HDD? If so, do you wipe it before or after you upgrade it?

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

No you don't have to, but sometimes you may need to reinstall windows.

bssauter13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bssauter13

Ok, My office is going to upgrade the computer, Motherboard, CPU, PSU, RAM, Video Card. So I already assumed we would have to reinstall windows, anything else that would have to happen to do this?

Thanks

Avatar image for WastelandArcher
WastelandArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 WastelandArcher
Member since 2012 • 78 Posts

Ok, My office is going to upgrade the computer, Motherboard, CPU, PSU, RAM, Video Card. So I already assumed we would have to reinstall windows, anything else that would have to happen to do this?

Thanks

bssauter13
You are correct. Transfer your files to the network drive or if one is unavailable, to an external drive.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Thanks

bssauter13
If you're changing that much you will need to reinstall windows and then your programs. Make sure you backup your other files though.
Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

Just based on the motherboard change alone it's highly recommended to wipe the HDD and reinstall Windows.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Just based on the motherboard change alone it's highly recommended to wipe the HDD and reinstall Windows.

Amster_G

Wiping the hard drive is completely unnecessary. Reinstalling any modern version of Windows backs up all your previous files into a Windows.old direction.

Backing up your data to a seperate volume is always a good idea, but it's not technically required in this case since the HD is not being replaced. Once the new version of Windows is installed you can move your data from the Windows.old folder into the new user folders.

-Byshop

bssauter13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bssauter13

Alright, Thanks for the help