Upgrade Now or Wait?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

Hey guys, I upgraded my CPU (and cooler), Motherboard, and RAM about a year ago.

Parts to which I upgraded: i5 3570k, GA-77 Gigabyte Mobo (RMA'd the first one I got), and G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 1600 (12800).

My HDD has been nothing but stable for the past 6 years, so I'm debating on just leaving that in my system till I start getting some errors. Speccy has shown as well as IRST that my HDD is in good condition.

The parts I wish to upgrade to would be the Cooler Master Evo XB from my 932 HAF (trying to see if anyone would buy it in my dorm), simply because its too heavy to carry around.

I would also be switching out my 6 year old antec 620w earthwatts (which has surprisingly had no issues as well) to a EVGA Supernova G2 750w fully modular.

I'm also considering buying a 970 gtx (or going with a r9 290) from a 450 gts. The only thing I noticed is that many of the graphics cards have coil whines or problems lasting. I mean as long as they provide a few years of warranty, I should be fine. But I'm just debating on whether or not I should wait for the 960 gtx (if thats a thing) or wait for Nvidia's next line of gpu's.

Thanks for helping me out.

*EDIT* I feel like I'm dishing out too much money for the 970, what are your thoughts?

*Update* Reconsidered and will not be getting a new case or PSU (till it dies), instead I'll just open it up and clean it.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

Why exactly are you upgrading any of that stuff? Just buy a 970. It has low power draw. Nothing in your system will bottleneck it. Any money that you would spend on a case and power supply, you can put towards an SSD.

delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By delete-SimplyFatal

@BassMan: Not really interested in SSD's till they drop more in price, besides my HDD is working fine. Plus I don't like the read and write capabilities on SSD's, I'd rather go with HDD longevity.

Well like I said, I want to upgrade my case, so I can have an easier time moving from place to place. I'd also like to get a fully modular PSU so that I can get rid of any cables that I don't use. Wouldn't hurt having a working spare PSU to test as well.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17796 Posts

SSD will make everything load faster. I hate waiting and have all my games loaded on SSD. I always recommend SSD for OS and applications. You can buy 500 GB SSD for a good price (especially Black Friday) and you can fit some of your favorite games on there too. For storing files, just use a regular HDD. I have 8 TB of HDD space to go with my 1.75 TB of SSD. LOL.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147249

delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By delete-SimplyFatal

@BassMan: Yeah, I saw that HDD earlier this morning. It's a good price, but I'm still not interested. I can wait the extra minute for my programs to load, it doesn't necessarily bother me all that much.

*EDIT* I might just end up keeping my case, still unsure.